MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if police send in the killers DNA to Ancestry.com to se if there is a match to som relative of the killer ?
By June 2016 Ancestry.com have 2,000,000 people genotyped (DNA tested) .

Does anyone else think the killer used an aerosol can with a lighter for the fire?

I wonder if police send in the killers DNA to Ancestry.com to se if there is a match to som relative of the killer ?
By June 2016 Ancestry.com have 2,000,000 people genotyped (DNA tested) .
Let's say you did get a hit. Would that be legal? I mean, I'm not sending in my DNA for Ancestry.com to later be compared to a perp's DNA.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

My guess would be a handheld blow torch.

possible but that would mean they'd have to have access to one. Now i've never seen a blow torch in my life but i sure know lot of kids who do the flamethrower trick with an aerosol can and a lighter

Let's say you did get a hit. Would that be legal? I mean, I'm not sending in my DNA for Ancestry.com to later be compared to a perp's DNA.

I don´t know if it is legal.

My guess would be a handheld blow torch.

That is also a possibility IMO, fex. every serious restaurant kitchen has a handheld blow torch.
Even every privat household/kitchen who has seriously interest in more or less gourmet cooking has one.

I was thinking that when a car is used like a weapon to incapacitate or injure a victim, a perp who is older or not physically strong would be able to get the upper hand and carry out the crime.

While there are usually data privacy laws, a lot of them have exceptions. For example, say a client and therapist meet and the client expresses that he/she is planning on killing another person. While there is a confidentiality agreement in place, this is an exemption and the therapist is, by law, required to report it to police. So with Ancestry.com DNA, I think they could argue that this is an exemption because of the death of a person and possible danger to others.

Although, it doesn't seem logical that it would be admissible in court, but can really help them identify the right suspect and confirm they have the right person / they're not wasting their time building a case on this person.

DNA analysis can give you gender and often a loose indication of hair and eye color. It can also predict ancestry/paternity when compared with other DNA samples as well as indicate known genetic diseases.
What DNA can NOT tell us is race, age, personality and mostly all physical characteristics. Unfortunately.

The ancestry and 23 and me DNA tests can tell what percentages of various ethnicity one has. And those tests only use the very basic mitochondrial DNA. I wonder if LE agencies like the FBI have more sophisticated DNA breakdowns available. really interesting...jmo

DNA analysis can give you gender and often a loose indication of hair and eye color. It can also predict ancestry/paternity when compared with other DNA samples as well as indicate known genetic diseases.
What DNA can NOT tell us is race, age, personality and mostly all physical characteristics. Unfortunately.

They can't tell age or personality, but it can provide race. Locally, when Meghan Landowski was murdered, NCIS had the DNA at scene analyzed and the race of the killer, per the DNA, helped them narrow down the suspects.

They can't tell age or personality, but it can provide race. Locally, when Meghan Landowski was murdered, NCIS had the DNA at scene analyzed and the race of the killer, per the DNA, helped them narrow down the suspects.

Can possibly provide race. It diesn't always work well for people not of mixed ancestry, and of course says nothing about how the person identifies, how they were raised, or whether they were adopted. So while it can be a useful tool, it's not the magic answer people often picture it as.

I've been told there are technical as well as legal issues with using family tree databases. They don't mecessarily use the same tests. That's for unidentified remains, anyway. I don't know whether it would apply to a living but unknown subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at the 23 & me stats (sorry don't have the link at this time) and it appeared that out of million(s) of customers they'd been asked 4 times by LE to match DNA. That's a pretty low % IMO. Further, these types of services (ancestry, etc) are not anxious to work with LE. 23 & me recently hired a Sr. Exec for Privacy. I don't think this is going to be a big trend with privacy concerns.

Can possibly provide race. It diesn't always work well for people not of mixed ancestry, and of course says nothing about how the person identifies, how they were raised, or whether they were adopted. So while it can be a useful tool, it's not the magic answer people often picture it as.

I've been told there are technical as well as legal issues with using family tree databases. They don't mecessarily use the same tests. That's for unidentified remains, anyway. I don't know whether it would apply to a living but unknown subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That should be either "aren't of a single race" or "are mixed ancestry." Ugh. Can't type, can't read...

possible but that would mean they'd have to have access to one. Now i've never seen a blow torch in my life but i sure know lot of kids who do the flamethrower trick with an aerosol can and a lighter

blowtorch can be bought at any hardware type store. Easily accessible.

Unless someone can tell me the extent of her burns I still don't believe there was a fire, blowtorch or otherwise, LOL. Who carries one of those around? Let's just say propane torch. All we know is that she "had burns" on her hands, feet and head. The video and photos do not show any scorching to the ground but only old scorch marks higher up on the dead trees. Still look to me like old brush fire damage.
Some other sensationalist stories say "lit on fire" (sigh)
How did the perp put the fire out? Anyone have info on 911 calls that day about a fire? Smoke? This is the driest summer I have ever seen in my life and I am very old.

I understand the speculation with such little info, but LE has to keep these details silent because only the killer would know them and we can't actually contribute to their investigation unless someone has seen a vehicle there at that time.

While I will concede that Tom Shamshak has more and better experience than I, a disabled Janitor, he only has the same information as we do.
http://www.fox25boston.com/news/tips-for-princeton-jogger-murder-now-at-750/424956289

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members