MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just throwing this out there - the first reference I can find to the FBI is on August 16 (correct me if I'm wrong). They would have done an initial investigation then, an autopsy, interviews and probably gotten DNA tests back. The FBI very rarely gets involved in local murders.

But why do they get involved jef?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for sharing all your insights. It's proving very helpful in my amateur profiling theories.
I've honed in on my profile even tighter. I still would love to know if the mom had repair work done to her home within a couple weeks of the murder. Plumbing or roofing, but I'm pretty honed in on roofing.

Tell us why a roofer rose?

This sick person knew exactly what to do with quick planning actions when she fought by proceeding to 'cover things up'. This points to calculating ,experienced person IMO

No. Survival instincts. As crass as this may sound... If you screw up that bad, you try to cover it up. This guy new he screwed up, that he was caught, and he acted fast, the best he knew how. He failed. They got exactly what he tried to conceal. His DNA.

No-one being caught yet shows this killer may not be in the system for any prior crimes. IF this person has a history without getting caught, could explain his brazen behavior with this. He could also 'appear' normal with no obvious rebellion or odd behavior incidents before.

I don't believe so. A DNA match is only part of the puzzle for investigators - does not prove guilt. I believe they have their hands full. Knowing who it is but not being able to prove it. ONLY MY OPINION.

I don't believe so. A DNA match is only part of the puzzle for investigators - does not prove guilt. I believe they have their hands full. Knowing who it is but not being able to prove it. ONLY MY OPINION.

Agree 100%. I think they know too.

The torch a roofer uses, and other speculations we are not yet able to examine per mod direction.

Understood and thanks.

A torch is the tool of a commercial roofer. Typically used with the installation of asphaltic built up roof systems - which are not too common in new construction. They are rarely, but not never used in residential roofing.

Understood and thanks.

A torch is the tool of a commercial roofer. Typically used with the installation of asphaltic built up roof systems - which are not too common in new construction. They are rarely, but not never used in residential roofing.

Not an expert on roofing, but I think you are right as it is more expensive? Regardless of whether the Perp was commercial or residential, I am honed in on this speculation he was a roofer with a blow torch. I'm trying to expand my focus beyond this hypothesis, but keep coming back to it.

Not an expert on roofing, but I think you are right as it is more expensive? Regardless of whether the Perp was commercial or residential, I am honed in on this speculation he was a roofer with a blow torch. I'm trying to expand my focus beyond this hypothesis, but keep coming back to it.

They are good roofs but labor intensive. Many schools and municipalities require them, however a majority of commercial roofs tend to be other systems (single ply).

Thankfully I think Law Enforcement would be looking into anyone who was frequently at the house her mother lived.

I heard yesterday from an officer that the police really appreciate all of the leads
they get through Websleuths. Some detectives do read through threads pertaining
to their cases. The problem is all the time it takes to pursue all the leads. So let's
make sure we give them good quality leads.

I wish I knew how many houses are on the running route and if any workers living there and/or businesses out of homes.

I heard yesterday from an officer that the police really appreciate all of the leads
they get through Websleuths. Some detectives do read through threads pertaining
to their cases. The problem is all the time it takes to pursue all the leads. So let's
make sure we give them good quality leads.

Of course they do! : )
Sending hugs and love and respect to our heroes in blue, and the agencies too!

I wish I knew how many houses are on the running route and if any workers living there and/or businesses out of homes.

Property records are public information and available on the towns website.

Thoughts are with the family today, 2 months into this. You have support in your prayer request for justice.

Of course they do! : )
Sending hugs and love and respect to our heroes in blue, and the agencies too!

Ditto. Sending the same to you Roses, thank you as ever my dear smart wonderful amazing friend, for all you do. XXO
OldSteve and SteleHeart, that's all inclusive :)

Great new and regular sleuthers here on this thoughtful well informed thread, thank you too. Neat to follow you all.

I think you meant to say Vanesssa. But yes the home her mom is living in belongs to the mothers sister and her husband.

We know VM grew up in Leominster. But her parents are divorced. And we also know her father purchased a home in Leominster in 2005. So we can guess that perhaps that was around the time of the divorce. And also perhaps 2005 is around the time her mom moved in with her sister and brother in law in Princeton. Vanessa graduated HS in 2007, so it's possible she too could have lived in Princeton during the very end of HS.

Ah, that makes sense! Thank you. I thought I was loosing my marbles. But now I see that I'm not even getting the victim's name right, so maybe I am... :thinking:

What has been said publicly about the Marcotte and Vetrano cases? I know Karina's father said early on the cases are "totally unrelated" and that NY police said they did not believe there was a link. As far as I can tell, Mass police have only stated they're "not ruling anything out," which also suggests they are unrelated. But in the press conference, there are two times when Early looks down. Once when they ask about the KV case - he breaks eye contact and looks directly at the ground for a moment. He breaks eye contact again when they ask about past relationships; he looks down to the left, which perhaps suggests he's thinking/remembering what's he's learned from interviews (which is not to suggest anything bad about Vanessa). He also hesitates when asked if there is a Mass investigator in NY; after that, the pr guy steps in and says Early will take "one more question."

The FBI gets involved at that point. Is there a link between the crimes after all and that's what Early's being deceptive about? Or does he already know they're "totally unrelated" and doesn't want to say that for some reason? It's possible the FBI got involved for another unknown reason or simply because Vanessa lived in NYC and was killed in MA; that might be considered crossing state lines, one of the criteria for FBI involvement. The FBI were called in very quickly on in the Vetrano case because it happened on federal land. It unclear what their current involvement is in either case.

Here are the similarities I can see:

Both were around the same age and looked somewhat similar (very attractive, petite, fit, dark hair, dark eyes, some Italian ancestry).
Both were only children who were close with their parents.
Both were educated, successful and lived in NYC.
Both posted frequently on social media, including FB and instagram (like most women in their twenties).
Both were not currently in relationships.
Both bodies were severely disfigured. Vetrano was said to be beaten "beyond recognition" according to some MSM reports. Vanessa would have also likely been "beyond recognition" due to burns on face.
Both were killed while running alone with earbuds in remote areas.
Both were violated sexually in some way (though details have not been released)
One running shoe was missing from both scenes of the crime.
Both bodies were found within hours of the point at which they went missing.
Both women were likely killed at the site they were attacked.
Both bodies were left exposed and partially unclothed.
It would probably have been known both would be reported missing very quickly.
Both may have left scratches, etc. on their killer.
Both were killed within days of each other.
Both murders gained national attention.

Differences/possible differences

Vanessa was burned and possibly tied to a tree; Karina was not.
We don't know cause of death for Vanessa; Karina was strangled so severely it almost broke her neck.
We don't know if Vanessa's phone was found in the vicinity of the murder; Karina's was found 15 feet from her body
Vanessa was killed in a small town. Vetrano was killed in Queens.
Vanessa seemed focused more on her work, according to MSM. Vetrano worked two jobs but had a very active social life, which she blogged about very candidly.

All of these similarities could be coincidental or we could be looking at a copy cat killer. If the police have said Vanessa's killer is probably left-handed, why have they not stated the DNA doesn't match Vetrano's? They had a profile in late August. Is that normal procedure?

Many, if not all, of the similarities can be explained away. Most women have brown hair and brown eyes. Many fit women in their twenties are the victims of these types of crimes. If someone did target either of them, their run locations would have been the easiest place to do so. The similarities may have nothing to do with m.o. and everything to do with practicality. That said, it seems to hard to believe a second killer wouldn't have been aware of the similarities and taken them into account when planning the crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yoshibee