MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #7 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The trooper wasn’t able to find a piece of paper, so he wrote the SUV’s license plate number down on his hand. He followed up by visiting Colon-Ortiz’s house, but he wasn’t home. He left a card and a request to call, but the call never came–so the trooper returned to Colon-Ortiz’s home, where he was able to get a voluntary DNA swab.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/04/15/vanessa-marcotte-jogger-murdered-arrest-made/

Well, LE did it. They never gave up, even when countless people accused them of doing just that. I noted their pointed comments about that, a 'shout out' to all the doubters. And how fitting it was a LE officer who was eagle-eyed and right there to see someone matching the description and driving a vehicle fitting that description. Cases like these are solved by local professionals, with a whole lot of gumshoe work. They knew th perp was Hhispanic from the beginning (mentioned in the presser). Way to go!

It wasn't a secret boyfriend, not someone she worked with, not someone from NYC, not someone connected with Katrina Vetrano. It was exactly like how most of these cases go -- a random monster who saw her, saw his opportunity, and took it. It wasn't 2 people, with 1 hanging out by the SUV, watching the road and waiting to take his turn.

So relieved and so happy for all the LE professionals who dedicated month after month working the case to get this monster.

Great post. People love to speculate about all of these (in my opinion) HIGHLY UNLIKELY scenarios like the ones you just described. And after all of the work, it WAS just a RANDOM guy (it appears, at this stage). I long suspected that the location of the path was not a key element of the case as many made it seem. Early on everyone seemed convinced of a hyper-local person who knew about this path. Never seemed likely to me. I think people just don't like to think or accept that random evil is a real thing. Great job LE!

So happy

Don't care whose theories have been proven right or wrong on here

As Early said, all that matters is: 'we got him'

And what a brazen monster - continuing to live in the area, and cruise around in the dark SUV

Beyond happy to hear about the arrest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So happy

Don't care whose theories have been proven right or wrong on here

As Early said, all that matters is: 'we got him'

And what a brazen monster - continuing to live in the area, and cruise around in the dark SUV

Not a very bright killer. I have to admit It made me mad when people insinuated he was so clever. He's a moron and he's gonna get what he deserves.

I do have to wonder though- if he was working in the area at the time, matched physical description and had suspect vehicle, why wasn't he caught in LE's initial investigative web?! It doesn't matter now in this case, But for future cases, what, if anything, was overlooked here?

To be fair, we don't know what kind of work he did and how often he was even in the small town of Princeton. There really isn't any type of industry right in the local area.

Worcester, MA is a city of almost 200,000 people, and the metro area comprises almost a million...so, I am not surprised at all that it has been a major challenge. In fact, this is serendipitous, pretty much a miracle, that it was solved so quickly. A young Hispanic man in a dark SUV is a needle in a haystack. In Worcester city limits, alone, the Hispanic/Latino population is about 40,000. If we are talking about a stranger on stranger crime, this is really just...amazing.

(In my eyes, and opinion, at least...)

To be fair, we don't know what kind of work he did and how often he was even in the small town of Princeton. There really isn't any type of industry right in the local area.

Worcester, MA is a city of almost 200,000 people, and the metro area comprises almost a million...so, I am not surprised at all that it has been a major challenge. In fact, this is serendipitous, pretty much a miracle, that it was solved so quickly. A young Hispanic man in a dark SUV is a needle in a haystack. In Worcester city limits, alone, the Hispanic/Latino population is about 40,000. If we are talking about a stranger on stranger crime, this is really just...amazing.

True enough. I agree. And I'm thrilled about this outcome and impressed with LEs efforts. They stayed sharp and got it done.

For the record though, there are very few hispanic guys working in Princeton area. Regardless of how many in Woo, Princeton work was definitely a bottleneck.

Great post. People love to speculate about all of these (in my opinion) HIGHLY UNLIKELY scenarios like the ones you just described. And after all of the work, it WAS just a RANDOM guy (it appears, at this stage). I long suspected that the location of the path was not a key element of the case as many made it seem. Early on everyone seemed convinced of a hyper-local person who knew about this path. Never seemed likely to me. I think people just don't like to think or accept that random evil is a real thing. Great job LE!

People love to speculate in general, I think it's one of those things that makes spectators feel like they are involved and helping, like they're part of the action. Inevitably crimes get solved because someone right there near the scene or near the perp at some point saw or heard something and came forward with information, combined with all the work that occurs behind the scenes in police departments, things that the public has no clue about and are not privy to. It's not usually some wild happenstance that occurs, but a more mundane and sad intersection of perp finding his/her victim.

The DNA made all the difference in this case as well as in Karina Ventrano's case. They got him because of great police work, dogged quiet perseverance, and a solid DNA match.

True. Although I am sure we will soon know what type of work he did, I think it's fair to say that if he speaks poor English, He wasn't a waiter in one of the few places to eat in town. It could be that he worked behind the scenes as a cook etc, but just guessing, I doubt that.
I was thinking maybe a farm hand of some type, but as you say we don't know how often he was in Princeton.
He may very well be a roofer, or a landscaper.
Time will tell.
A few positives are that he is talking. Another is that there is no reason for the D.A. to cut any deals for information. (ie. where did you hide the body?)

People love to speculate in general, I think it's one of those things that makes spectators feel like they are involved and helping, like they're part of the action. Inevitably crimes get solved because someone right there near the scene or near the perp at some point saw or heard something and came forward with information, combined with all the work that occurs behind the scenes in police departments, things that the public has no clue about and are not privy to. It's not usually some wild happenstance that occurs, but a more mundane and sad intersection of perp finding his/her victim.

The DNA made all the difference in this case as well as in Karina Ventrano's case. They got him because of great police work, dogged quiet perseverance, and a solid DNA match.
I couldn't agree more. It was nothing more than speculation that kept people posting on this thread for as long as everyone did.
If we posted on what we knew, this thread would have been all done on the first day, because nobody "knew" anything.
It's easy to "Monday Morning Quaterback."
I can only speak for myself, but baring the circumstances that brought all of us here in the first place, I found it interesting to try to think why a certain scenario may fit or not, no matter how far off the wall it may have been.

I couldn't agree more. It was nothing more than speculation that kept people posting on this thread for as long as everyone did.
If we posted on what we knew, this thread would have been all done on the first day, because nobody "knew" anything.
It's easy to "Monday Morning Quaterback."
I can only speak for myself, but baring the circumstances that brought all of us here in the first place, I found it interesting to try to think why a certain scenario may fit or not, no matter how far off the wall it may have been.

It's the grease that powers the engine, so to speak, and is the primary method used to pass the time until a case gets solved by the detectives. I liken it to neighbors chatting across the fence as was once done, but now is done digitally.

I noticed D.A. Early thanked the State Police Under Water Dive Team, in the press conference.
That explains what LE was doing at the end of BSR a few days after the murder with those 12 SUVs parked along the road. They were diving in the pond, searching for something.
Although there was a news cam from a chopper, you couldn't see what they were doing.

YES! I am so happy!!! Like several of you, I had tears and goose bumps!

Was disconnected from media etc. today -- heard the news a couple hours ago and, now that I can, have been reading up as much as I can! Thanks to everyone who posted, esp. the heads-up info early on.

I knew LE was going to get him! The guy is an idiot, as many of us suspected, still cruising around in his dark SUV. It was only a matter of time before someone from LE or a citizen spotted a Hispanic male around age 30 in a dark SUV in the area.

And congrats to the long timers who are still around! We, for the most part, figured there was a high probability that he was from Worchester and that he likely had worked at some some trade job or the like in the Princeton area! My guess is he worked as a landscaper or as farm help, but could be a roofer/another trade, restaurant prep help, etc.

I am SO happy! Congrats to LE -- great job! Knew they'd get this idiot monster. Just so happy it was before he killed someone else.

SO happy Vanessa's family got this news!! And, as someone who was born on Holy Saturday/Easter Eve Day, I now have a bigger affinity for this day!

<modsnip>
One last WOO HOO!!!! Tears in my eyes again.

I am so so grateful for the family they have a suspect. I think Colon is being arraigned Tuesday. I most certainly want to see that. I hope this has a few 'falls down the stairs' on his way from jail to the court.

Man. I have never been drawn to a murder case before. This is one hell of a W for LE and God bless them for staying on it. Prayers for the family :(

If you go to this page, you can find some non-criminal type actions for his name (or a version of his name), but I don't see a date of birth listed on any of them, so not sure which might be him.

https://www.masscourts.org/eservices/home.page.2

I checked earlier and now can't remember what I found, and now their site is running super slow.

RIP Vanessa. Justice is coming. Hope the jerk that murdered you, rots in hell.
God Bless your friends and family.

LE good job.

I am so so grateful for the family they have a suspect. I think Colon is being arraigned Tuesday. I most certainly want to see that. I hope this has a few 'falls down the stairs' on his way from jail to the court.

Man. I have never been drawn to a murder case before. This is one hell of a W for LE and God bless them for staying on it. Prayers for the family :(
He will be arraigned on Tuesday, yes in Leominster District Court. (VM's home town)
If at that time he is charged with murder, His case will be bound over to Worcester Superior Court.
I find it rather ironic that he was caught this weekend. Monday is the Boston Marathon, and where VM was a Jogger, it is rather fitting.
There are some that are running that race in her name. I can only imagine the strenght this news will give them to keep on running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RabbitB