MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #7 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What if he somehow figured out her name & saw her running schedule. Though I may be giving this monster too much credit...
Although the address where she was staying (Her Aunts) uses a PO Box, Having access to the inner workings of a Post Office can be a benefit as to who lives at a particular address. Combine that with the statement the Post Office worker made about knowing VM jogged, may have played a part. Small towns, everyone knows everything about everyone.
Although the women that worked there may have found him creepy, maybe one or two guys didn't.

What do people think about the strength of the case? The DNA, if obtained legally, seems to be very strong. There is also the phone record placing him in the general area that day (unlikely that he had good reason to be in Princeton if he wasn't working that day). Less strong are the witness accounts - the witness could not it seems provide enough info even for a sketch of Ortiz and neither it seems could he provide the exact make of the vehicle, let alone any unique features. All told, without the DNA, this case would seem to be fairly weak. For that we say, well done Vanessa. Though hopefully they have other evidence which they have not yet divulged.
If the defense can't get the DNA thrown out, he's all done.
I mentioned false exculpatory statements being stronger than a confession. One example.
This guy told LE that he didn't know her, or know of her.
After the character witnesses get done describing VM I think the jury will believe she just didn't jump in bed with every man she saw.
The defense will try to make his case saying it was consensual sex, because if the DNA isn't thrown out that puts him there.
If the defendant says he doesn't know her, then why would she consent to have sex with him within 10 minutes of meeting him?
She wouldn't.
If he said that she knew him and that he was waiting down the road for her, he would have had a chance.
This is why Cops love to keep a suspect talking. This is also why prosecutors love false exculpatory statements. It sways the jury when a suspect lies and it can be proven that he is lying. If he now changes the story and says that he knew her. it is proven that he lied.
He may have known her. I doubt it, but maybe he did, and he said he didn't to try to lie his way out of it to cover up.

Weighing in about tonight's main discussion: Was Vanessa specifically targeted or not? Good points on both sides. I could argue both ways and have what I think are a couple items of relevance to add.

Yes, it would seem at first glance that there was a good chance that Ortiz was specifically after her given the timing issues: Witness saw his SUV on BSR with him standing outside of it just a half hour or so before Vanessa left her house on her walk/run. (I believe she was walking, not running, not that it matters much.) I believe the witness said he saw the SUV at 12:45 pm or thereabouts, *not* that he saw it drive up and park at that time. If this is the case, we have no idea how long he was waiting there. So, while Vanessa may have been targeted, I don't think that "he was only there a half hour or so before she left for her walk/run, so he must have been targeting her or known her schedule that day, etc." can be used to support this theory. For all we know, he could have been there much longer -- remember, the guy is an idiot -- anyone who wouldn't think twice of being there for an hour and a half or so (at the minimum) and standing outside his vehicle when he is *not* a non-descript-looking person in the context of where he was, probably would not think twice about being at that location for quite a bit longer.

Again, I'm not saying that Vanessa wasn't targeted -- as there's a good case to be made for that theory. I'm just saying that I don't think we know when he arrived at the spot, so we don't know how long he waited.

There's another related and relevant, IMO, factor to remember: This guy is not like the rest of us (or most of us, at least). He could have very well been occasionally driving to certain areas in Princeton *before* the crime occurred waiting...just waiting...for someone...Vanessa maybe, but maybe anyone his "type." I don't think we can use this type of logic, "Who would drive from Worchester all the way to Princeton on his day off if he didn't know Vanessa would be running sometime that day..." This is not only an evil murderer, this is a misogynistic evil murderer. This guy surely has plenty of time for indulging in his "hobby." He doesn't share responsibilities for any domestic duties with his wife. He works 40 hrs/wk and then is done with doing anything else, IMO. He had lots of free time. Moreover, he doesn’t own a house, so that alone frees up a lot of time.

I do lean toward believing that Vanessa being targeted, but it's only a leaning. He very well could have been waiting for anyone his type. And if nobody came along on that particular day, there is always another day.

Since we're doing a kind of post mortem -- better to call it a review, given the context -- of the group's collective theories, etc. (which I’m glad folks are doing – and hope to hear from others)…

As with FM, I opined from early on that we weren’t dealing with the “brightest bulb in the bunch.” Not patting myself on the back -- I’m sure I got some things incorrect – but to further expound: A smart person would never commit a crime in the manner in which he did – all the Mensa memberships and meticulous planning in the world would not be able to control or even limit too many variables that could go wrong: a cop driving by and investigating, people other than cops driving by/the variable that did go wrong, people running or walking by, someone coming into or out of the residential driveway that’s not far away, and the list goes on. A counter argument might be: If he wanted to get Vanessa specifically, he *had* to strike in less than ideal conditions (because she didn’t live in the area most of the time, didn’t run at night, etc,). A smart person, IMO, would then change targets (if this wasn’t a domestic thing, and we had no reason to suspect that Vanessa had some crazed x-significant other or spurned admirer wanting to do her harm) and find someone else that was his *type,* if indeed he has a type.

Other than the “did he/did he not” specifically target Vanessa question, I’m also curious about some smaller things, one of which is:

*Why did he move from PR?

Hope we learn more. Given his age and the viciousness of this crime, I have zero doubt that he has committed crimes against women before. Having no record just means he's gotten away with his crimes. He was only in the US for about two-three months (we don’t know when in May he moved here) before he committed this crime. That seems incredulous to me. His impulse control is apparently nil.

Other questions, too, but will leave at this for now, as sleep calls...

Thanks to all who have been participating in this "review" – and I appreciate everyone who has put their opinions out there all along. Honestly, I think had this group all been put up in Princeton for a time and had the resources that LE had (DMV records, for instance), I am pretty confident that we could have solved this case -- and last I checked, I don't suffer from delusions of (group) grandeur. I can bring up specific reasons to point to this conclusion, but am too tired now – and this post is already too long.

One last thought: CEM, I’m with your suggestion about how this monster should meet his end (or least it should be painful, as was Vanessa’s end) – and if that makes me a savage, then so be it. There's the calculable costs to society, of course. However, the biggie to me is that I don't believe that Vanessa’s parents and other loved ones should not have to wake up each day knowing that Ortiz is also doing the same thing – or eat a meal and have the thought run through their minds that Ortiz is doing the same thing – all basic things that he took away from Vanessa. I think the DP should be used very, very sparingly -- but it should be used in certain cases. And this is coming from someone who has shed tears when discovering a mouse in a mousetrap I had set years ago – I was glad to catch it as it grossed me out that it was in my house, but I cried when I saw its lifeless little body.

I lied -- one last thought: Gold star for Mainely! Everyone likes a nice pat on the back on occasion. I'm going to find Mainely's very thoughtful and detailed post about her "profile" of this monster -- and repost it. I recall much of it -- and what I recall was very right-on!

We did talk about it ForensicMass. If it wasn't for you I would never have brought up a courier!!

Well a double shame on me then for not paying closer attention to your excellent and spot on suggestion !

I think if he was looking to pick a spot, he would have had more of a chance in a State Park, or a secluded running trail, over BSR.

I completely agree Rocky. This is not the spot you choose if you are sticking people out based just on a spot it is not secluded enough and runners are far less frequent than they are in much more secluded locations like state parks as you mentioned. sometimes I have a hard time articulating what I'm thinking but you did a great job in that post

What do people think about the strength of the case? The DNA, if obtained legally, seems to be very strong. There is also the phone record placing him in the general area that day (unlikely that he had good reason to be in Princeton if he wasn't working that day). Less strong are the witness accounts - the witness could not it seems provide enough info even for a sketch of Ortiz and neither it seems could he provide the exact make of the vehicle, let alone any unique features. All told, without the DNA, this case would seem to be fairly weak. For that we say, well done Vanessa. Though hopefully they have other evidence which they have not yet divulged.

I could have misinterpreted something somewhere but I do believe that the initial witness properly identified the car as a Ford escape

Weighing in about tonight's main discussion: Was Vanessa specifically targeted or not? Good points on both sides. I could argue both ways and have what I think are a couple items of relevance to add.

Yes, it would seem at first glance that there was a good chance that Ortiz was specifically after her given the timing issues: Witness saw his SUV on BSR with him standing outside of it just a half hour or so before Vanessa left her house on her walk/run. (I believe she was walking, not running, not that it matters much.) I believe the witness said he saw the SUV at 12:45 pm or thereabouts, *not* that he saw it drive up and park at that time. If this is the case, we have no idea how long he was waiting there. So, while Vanessa may have been targeted, I don't think that "he was only there a half hour or so before she left for her walk/run, so he must have been targeting her or known her schedule that day, etc." can be used to support this theory. For all we know, he could have been there much longer -- remember, the guy is an idiot -- anyone who wouldn't think twice of being there for an hour and a half or so (at the minimum) and standing outside his vehicle when he is *not* a non-descript-looking person in the context of where he was, probably would not think twice about being at that location for quite a bit longer.

Again, I'm not saying that Vanessa wasn't targeted -- as there's a good case to be made for that theory. I'm just saying that I don't think we know when he arrived at the spot, so we don't know how long he waited.

There's another related and relevant, IMO, factor to remember: This guy is not like the rest of us (or most of us, at least). He could have very well been occasionally driving to certain areas in Princeton *before* the crime occurred waiting...just waiting...for someone...Vanessa maybe, but maybe anyone his "type." I don't think we can use this type of logic, "Who would drive from Worchester all the way to Princeton on his day off if he didn't know Vanessa would be running sometime that day..." This is not only an evil murderer, this is a misogynistic evil murderer. This guy surely has plenty of time for indulging in his "hobby." He doesn't share responsibilities for any domestic duties with his wife. He works 40 hrs/wk and then is done with doing anything else, IMO. He had lots of free time. Moreover, he doesn’t own a house, so that alone frees up a lot of time.

I do lean toward believing that Vanessa being targeted, but it's only a leaning. He very well could have been waiting for anyone his type. And if nobody came along on that particular day, there is always another day.

Since we're doing a kind of post mortem -- better to call it a review, given the context -- of the group's collective theories, etc. (which I’m glad folks are doing – and hope to hear from others)…

As with FM, I opined from early on that we weren’t dealing with the “brightest bulb in the bunch.” Not patting myself on the back -- I’m sure I got some things incorrect – but to further expound: A smart person would never commit a crime in the manner in which he did – all the Mensa memberships and meticulous planning in the world would not be able to control or even limit too many variables that could go wrong: a cop driving by and investigating, people other than cops driving by/the variable that did go wrong, people running or walking by, someone coming into or out of the residential driveway that’s not far away, and the list goes on. A counter argument might be: If he wanted to get Vanessa specifically, he *had* to strike in less than ideal conditions (because she didn’t live in the area most of the time, didn’t run at night, etc,). A smart person, IMO, would then change targets (if this wasn’t a domestic thing, and we had no reason to suspect that Vanessa had some crazed x-significant other or spurned admirer wanting to do her harm) and find someone else that was his *type,* if indeed he has a type.

Other than the “did he/did he not” specifically target Vanessa question, I’m also curious about some smaller things, one of which is:

*Why did he move from PR?

Hope we learn more. Given his age and the viciousness of this crime, I have zero doubt that he has committed crimes against women before. Having no record just means he's gotten away with his crimes. He was only in the US for about two-three months (we don’t know when in May he moved here) before he committed this crime. That seems incredulous to me. His impulse control is apparently nil.

Other questions, too, but will leave at this for now, as sleep calls...

Thanks to all who have been participating in this "review" – and I appreciate everyone who has put their opinions out there all along. Honestly, I think had this group all been put up in Princeton for a time and had the resources that LE had (DMV records, for instance), I am pretty confident that we could have solved this case -- and last I checked, I don't suffer from delusions of (group) grandeur. I can bring up specific reasons to point to this conclusion, but am too tired now – and this post is already too long.

One last thought: CEM, I’m with your suggestion about how this monster should meet his end (or least it should be painful, as was Vanessa’s end) – and if that makes me a savage, then so be it. There's the calculable costs to society, of course. However, the biggie to me is that I don't believe that Vanessa’s parents and other loved ones should not have to wake up each day knowing that Ortiz is also doing the same thing – or eat a meal and have the thought run through their minds that Ortiz is doing the same thing – all basic things that he took away from Vanessa. I think the DP should be used very, very sparingly -- but it should be used in certain cases. And this is coming from someone who has shed tears when discovering a mouse in a mousetrap I had set years ago – I was glad to catch it as it grossed me out that it was in my house, but I cried when I saw its lifeless little body.

I lied -- one last thought: Gold star for Mainely! Everyone likes a nice pat on the back on occasion. I'm going to find Mainely's very thoughtful and detailed post about her "profile" of this monster -- and repost it. I recall much of it -- and what I recall was very right-on!

Great post searunner. I do think that his "type "was important in this crime. Many times Crimes like this come with increased satisfaction for the perp if they can attack someone that they have already developed a fantasy about. Further motivation to take greater risk, and to be more patient, and to go way out of your way for a specific victim. Just more points to add to a targeting theory.

http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2017/04/what_we_do_and_dont_know_about.html I'm reading this and reading the link to the post office ladies accounts I believe that he knew she always did that on Saturday and planned it and would maybe recognize his face and stop to help.

But now I'm wondering what if the person he was talking to on the Bluetooth(his brother perhaps?) or someone else was an accomplice and he was cocky thinking they wouldn't have his DNA and would have the other guys and that's why he willingly gave his DNA. I don't see how he needs a translator if he clearly had a normal job he'd speak English for and it would have to be good English and not a kind that requires one.

I had for awhile thought someone involved in mail/fedex/ups but when someone who's husband works there told us some stuff I remember some of us thinking it wouldn't be possible or was less likely at least but at first that and creepy neighbor had been my first guesses before I branched out. since she said her family and her were very friendly with the post office and they all knew she ran Saturday's then I'm sure he knew and at some point encountered her there or purposely came in at the same time in hopes to and decided to take that day off and go park where he somehow knew she would head(maybe he made small talk about running and said he's not from here as his excuse for why and despite him being creepy she politely replied thinking he wouldn't do what he did) and waited for however long. I also believe he would have came for the post office lady if he got a chance. But like someone said, you don't just drive there from where you live to wait and hope someone is going to walk by who you want to rape. And it was a hot day as well and that also means anyone seeing him stranded may feel guuilted into helping out.

I wonder how many people tried to help him that he said no to. Maybe who don't even realize what happened. I don't get how the lady he was creepy with didn't think of him right away though. But this just feels targeted and planned out.

Ortiz COULD have worked on Sundays....

FedEx actually WILL deliver on Sundays (for a price) through Same Day Service and Same Day City Courier Service.

1. FedEx Same Day: "Have an emergency shipment and not a minute to spare? With FedEx SameDay, your package will be at your customer’s door on the same day that you ship it. FedEx SameDay is moving packages less than 150 lbs., 365 days a year, throughout all 50 states."

2. FedEx Same Day City: "Get your packages across your metro area in as little as two hours with local courier delivery by FedEx SameDay[emoji768] City. It’s the reliable, cost-effective service you need to do time-critical business with confidence. Now serving more than 20 metro markets across the country."
The Boston Metro area is one of the Same Day City Markets. The FedEx coverage map (attached as picture) reaches just to the outskirts of the Princeton area.

* IF Ortiz's FedEx contractor handled Same Day and Same Day City deliveries he COULD have been working on a Sunday in the Princeton area.

-JMO

https://www.fedexsameday.com/fdx_ServiceSameDay.aspx
http://local.fedex.com/sameday/boston/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProIMG_0184.jpg

Yes, 100% accurate in my opinion. It was the location that was premeditated. She was the unlucky soul.

I think this is spot on. Wrong place at the wrong time, and it often happens this way in these kinds of cases, particularly when it's a runner who's been attacked.

Please move over to Thread #8

this one is closing in a few minutes

I think this is spot on. Wrong place at the wrong time, and it often happens this way in these kinds of cases, particularly when it's a runner who's been attacked.

Agreed- he could have chosen this area as his cruising/hunting ground. While working he would have plenty of opportunity to scout areas where victims would be isolated and then "hunt" after hours. It's just sickening!
JMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members