GUILTY MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #8 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"Runners to fill Wachusett Mountain for second annual 5K in memory of Vanessa Marcotte, jogger killed in Princeton"
Runners to fill Wachusett Mountain for second annual 5K in memory of Vanessa Marcotte, jogger killed in Princeton
According to the article: "The foundation hopes to raise about $90,000. The funds will go toward educational programs that promote female safety and gender equality, according to Caroline Tocci, Marcotte's cousin and the president of the Vanessa T. Marcotte Foundation."

Over 1,000 Attend 2nd Annual 5K for Vanessa Marcotte

The Vanessa T Marcotte Foundation was co-founded in the months following Marcotte's death by her cousin, Caroline Tocci, and her best friend, Ashley McNiff. The foundation strives to empower women to live boldly and fearlessly.

"I'm very overwhelmed really with positivity and how much the foundation has grown, and we've really honored Vanessa's legacy," Tocci said.
The family continues to wait for justice. While Angelo Colon Ortiz has been indicted for Marcotte's murder, they are still awaiting his trial.

Just sad that it's been this long for Vanessa to get justice.

Has anyone seen any further information regarding the perpetrator, Angel Colon Ortiz? I am curious as to what is going on with this case. Thank you.
runfar262 Nothing yet as far as I know. I did see his Lawyer talking about another case last week, but nothing on Ortiz.
It's been two years ago yesterday that Vanessa was killed.

runfar262 Nothing yet as far as I know. I did see his Lawyer talking about another case last week, but nothing on Ortiz.
Thank you so much for the info! I know that the wheels of justice turn slowly but this seems to be extremely slow progress.

I've seen cases take 3 or more years to finally wind their way to a trial. It's something I opined back when he was finally caught -- to get ready to wait and wait because there are often many delays along the path.

Everyone under the constitution has a right to a speedy trial, but they don't have an obligation to have one. Most often a defendant's attorney will want more time to pass in the hopes that any witnesses recollections will fade, plus they have to go through a lot of discovery info and come up with a strategy.

Court systems in pretty much all states are very busy, with more criminal cases to litigate than there are judges and prosecutors and courtrooms available to accommodate all of them, so there's a queue to these things and sometimes a very long queue. And if either side asks for continuances then that adds to the time.

Following a case to completion means cooling one's heels and being prepared for what could turn out to be half a decade or more of litigation.

Thank you so much for the info! I know that the wheels of justice turn slowly but this seems to be extremely slow progress.

It's nice to see some folks occasionally checking in. I've been occasionally googling the case to see if there's been any progress and checking the site, as well.

Yes, indeed, the wheels of justice do move very slowly.

I'll post if and when I see something on this case and hope others will do the same.

Rocky, good to see you're occasionally checking in! I check the site perhaps once a month or so. What happened to Mollie Tibbetts has recently brought Vanessa to the forefront of my mind. Sadly and infuriatingly, there seems to be quite a few similarities between the two cases.

Are there any questions people are hoping will be answered at trial?
I just want to know, why? Why did he do it. Was VM just in the wrong place at the wrong time or had he seen her before?

Fred. Ryan being named in that law suit IMO was a chess move by the city to shift the blame on him in hopes he'd drop the law suit.
Ryan had been around a long time. He was President of the Mass Bar Association in the early 2000's.

runfar. I remember discussing whether or not AO had seen VM before, and if he did, it would have been on a weekend, he did work weekends, driving to the Post Office, and the route she ran would have had her running past it. IMO, with a schedule of him showing up at the same time all the time, and perhaps (not sure) her having a schedule of running around the same time, he may have seen her run past the post office, and more than once.
Part of his route was to drive to the Rutland Post Office, as well, and he would have driven down Brook Station Road. Not past her house, but a little North of there, where he may have seen her jogging.
The questions I have are, this happened on a Sunday. I don't think the Post Office/Fed EX works on Sunday, so how did he know she'd be out there on that hot (92*) day. Did he drive about 15 miles on a chance she'd be there? He waited with his hood up for at least a half hour, and that tells me he was fairly confident she was going to show.
I'm leaning towards he saw her before.
I'm also leaning towards AO being the type that loved resistance, and a woman that would put up a fight. The reason I say this is because he lived in the middle of the highest crime section of Worcester, where prostitution surrounded him. He could have walked out of his house at any time of the day and had a choice of many different woman that would have got in his car at the drop of a hat before driving one mile. No challenge there.
I think (no proof, just my opinion) that he was involved with the attempted kidnapping of those joggers in Northboro too. The reason I think that is because in that situation, the perp had his hood up posing as a stranded motorist as well. The Fed Ex Distribution center is also located right there, as Forensic Mass discovered a while back.

Hey Rock do you think the attempts on the Northboro / Marlboro joggers will be part of this trial? If either jogger could have identified AOC and his accomplice would we have heard about it by now?

Fred:
IMO, I don't see that happening, and here's why.
First, the incidents in Northboro, as bad as it may seem, only add up to "simple assault." I may be wrong, but I don't think the joggers suffered any physical harm, were dragged in the woods, (kidnapped) or sexually assaulted. At most, if AO was involved, he'd be punished by a fine of about $500, and maybe receive probation.
He hasn't been indicted in that crime, and with the time and cost involved with the state, would only slow the process down.
The state has a total of 6 years to indict him, if they choose to.
If the charges would have been more serious, (ie. murder) then they may have combined the cases. That's called a "Joinder of offenses" (Massachusetts Criminal Procedure Rule 9)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back