DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MCCANNS: WE DID NOT GIVE OUR CHILDREN MEDICATION

Thursday August 16,2007

By Martin Evans in Praia da Luz

"THE parents of Madeleine McCann have denied giving their other two children drugs to stop them waking up on the night of her alleged abduction.

Police in Portugal are baffled why Madeleine’s twin brother and sister never stirred the night she disappeared from her holiday apartment.

Detectives had hoped that the two-year-olds Sean and Amelie could be key witnesses in the case and provide vital clues about their sister’s fate.....

"But reports in Portugal claimed detectives had abandoned plans to try to coax information gently out of the toddlers – because they slept through the whole ordeal.....
There has been growing speculation in the Portuguese media that Madeleine and the twins may have been administered drugs by their parents, who are both doctors, to help them sleep.
But yesterday the McCanns categorically denied that they had sedated their children.
A source close to the family said: “They did not give the children sedatives that night. They have never given their children sedatives.’’
It is understood that the couple have never given their children anything stronger than the over-the-counter painkiller Calpol, the infant form of para­cetamol.
Reports in Portugal claim that the twins did not even wake when part-time GP Kate, 39, found Madeleine missing – and repeatedly screamed out her name in desperation. And they slept on after the McCanns raised the alarm and a frantic search began involving their friends and other ­holidaymakers.
The twins were eventually carried out of the apartment still sleeping by two police inspectors, it was reported.
Officers were so stunned that they even asked the McCanns if they had given the children sedatives to help them sleep, it is claimed.
The couple insisted that the children had been tired & exhausted after a long day in the sun. Police have also asked local pharmacies to check their records for anyone buying sedatives in the days before Madeleine vanished.
Chemists were asked if they had sold insect sprays containing the knock-out drug in the days leading up to Made­leine’s disappearance.
Frustrated detectives are now resigned to the fact that two “witnesses” who were in the same room as Madeleine at the time when they believe she died saw or heard nothing.
A police source said: “It is a remarkable aspect of the investigation. Madeleine was asleep in a bed between the twins’ cots – one on either side.
“They were just a few feet away, yet they never woke up.
“We had hoped officers could have discovered information from the young ones in a gentle way.
“It might have been possible that they could have unearthed things children may even have tried to bury in their subconscious – things they never even thought they’d witnessed.
“But in this case there was nothing. The twins simply carried on sleeping, even through all the noise and the con­fusion during the desperate search that followed.
“The two children were asleep when police arrived and were removed from the apartment by two inspectors.
“Because of this they were unable to be of any use in our investigations.’’
Kate and her consultant cardiologist husband Gerry, also 39, believe that Madeleine was abducted from the apartment while they dined in a tapas bar and is still alive.
They think the twins simply slept through the abduction.
A family friend said: “They didn’t give the children anything to help them sleep. The youngsters must have just been exhausted after a long and exciting day on holiday.
“In some ways it may be a blessing they didn’t wake.’’
Last week the McCanns were forced to take the twins out of a creche facility at the holiday resort after other parents “became upset” at the daily Portuguese media scrum outside the babysitting service at the Mark Warner Ocean Club...."

“They were just a few feet away, yet they never woke up.
“We had hoped officers could have discovered information from the young ones in a gentle way.
“It might have been possible that they could have unearthed things children may even have tried to bury in their subconscious – things they never even thought they’d witnessed.
“But in this case there was nothing. The twins simply carried on sleeping, even through all the noise and the con­fusion during the desperate search that followed.
“The two children were asleep when police arrived and were removed from the apartment by two inspectors.

I totally think this is possible - I see kids passed out in their strollers and in shopping carts all the time. What I don't see is that Kate didn't grab them and shake them awake to make sure they were ok. Perhaps she just checked their breathing (I do this oh, five times a night STILL).

The public/PJ tide has definitely turned against the McCann's. They can no longer deflect the questions posed to them; so, pr manager, Justine McGuinness says today, "They do not want to be disturbed."
For 3 months, McCann's have sought media attention/donations; now that the heat is on pointing more toward them and their friends involvement in daughter's disappearance, "THEY DO NOT WANT TO BE DISTURBED"!
Within the next week, there will be major changes in the Tapas9' status.

I totally think this is possible - I see kids passed out in their strollers and in shopping carts all the time. What I don't see is that Kate didn't grab them and shake them awake to make sure they were ok. Perhaps she just checked their breathing (I do this oh, five times a night STILL).

While I know what you mean about some kids who are hard sleepers, I still find this hard to believe. I mean, both of my sons can sleep through a LOT! My middle one even rolled out of bed onto the floor one night during a minor earthquake and slept on. BUT, that is when all else around them is pretty normal. Even a kid in a stroller or with a younger, crying sibling is not being screamed at...the noise is more of a dull roar.

I would think that the sheer panic and number of strangers who were in that apartment would have woken even my deepest sleeper. And I agree with Beth in AK that even if it hadn't, my first reaction would have been to shake them awake to check on them and ask, "Where's Madeline???" Even knowing they probably wouldn't be able to answer, I don't think I could stop myself from trying to ask them.

Too bad no one thought to snag a diaper from either of them. It could have been tested.

While I know what you mean about some kids who are hard sleepers, I still find this hard to believe.

I agree, I find this UNBELIEVABLE. And in the shoes of the investigators, I would find the twin's state alarming, enough to warrant a trip to the hospital. They weren't infants afterall, where that deep sleep while being picked-up and staying asleep amongst the situation would be more understandable and believable.

The public/PJ tide has definitely turned against the McCann's. They can no longer deflect the questions posed to them; so, pr manager, Justine McGuinness says today, "They do not want to be disturbed."
For 3 months, McCann's have sought media attention/donations; now that the heat is on pointing more toward them and their friends involvement in daughter's disappearance, "THEY DO NOT WANT TO BE DISTURBED"!
Within the next week, there will be major changes in the Tapas9' status.

Yep.. and probably why they suddenly are talking about leaving Portugal when they have said all along they would not leave...

I thought they fired Justine McGuiness last week and hired a guy? I forget his name now. Weird that she speaks for them again.

All I can say if I discovered my 3 year old missing from her bed and I believed she had been abducted the scream I would let out would deafen anyone else sleeping in that room. It is hard to rationalize that the twins never woke up during all of this commotion. However, it is possible, so therefore really isn't something that one can draw any conclusions from. However it does add one more notch in the suspicion cloud surrounding the parents.

mjak

Just curious, what is a babyphone service? Does that mean the Oldfield's had a sitter at their apartment, or is it something else and I am not understanding the term?

I'm not positive, but it sounds like some way to turn a telephone into a baby monitor.

MCCANNS: WE DID NOT GIVE OUR CHILDREN MEDICATION

Thursday August 16,2007

By Martin Evans in Praia da Luz

"THE parents of Madeleine McCann have denied giving their other two children drugs to stop them waking up on the night of her alleged abduction.

Police in Portugal are baffled why Madeleine’s twin brother and sister never stirred the night she disappeared from her holiday apartment.
~snip~
Officers were so stunned that they even asked the McCanns if they had given the children sedatives to help them sleep, it is claimed.
I agree with the above posters and find this very hard to believe. Even if they had an exhausting day, you're talking about Kate noticing that Madeleine is missing three hours after they went to bed. That's followed by 2-5 hours of lots of strange people in and out of the apartment, bumping and moving stuff, yelling and calling for Madeleine. Even the most deep-sleeping child would wake up.

I wish LE had been suspicious about the sleepiness and had drug tested the twins that night.

Im with some of the other posters about the children being sedated, even if there is no evidence that they bought some at the chemists in Portugal they could have brought something with them.

If there was sedation, I think Russell O'Brien was involved in it. There was something someone found about him having some kind of background in that...maybe he's an anesthesiologist? I can't remember.

Anyway...what about this? What if Russell sedated the children at the parents' request with meds he brought with him. What if RUSSELL was the one who later found Maddie dead on his turn to do the children check, and he (and Jane?) did away with her without Kate and Gerry's knowledge, to cover themselves??? So the McCanns really do think she was abducted but Russell (and Jane?) know the truth...and the reason Cuddle Cat was found on a high shelf was that Russell panicked when he found Maddie dead and he put CC out of the way in his haste to do something with Maddie's body?

JM HUMBLEST O, of course!!!

If there was sedation, I think Russell O'Brien was involved in it. There was something someone found about him having some kind of background in that...maybe he's an anesthesiologist? I can't remember.

Anyway...what about this? What if Russell sedated the children at the parents' request with meds he brought with him. What if RUSSELL was the one who later found Maddie dead on his turn to do the children check, and he (and Jane?) did away with her without Kate and Gerry's knowledge, to cover themselves??? So the McCanns really do think she was abducted but Russell (and Jane?) know the truth...and the reason Cuddle Cat was found on a high shelf was that Russell panicked when he found Maddie dead and he put CC out of the way in his haste to do something with Maddie's body?

You know who is a trained anesthesiologist...Kate! I believe your theory is also possible, except for the Cuddle Cat part...IMHO. If you are in a panic...you would not stop to do ANYTHING...know what I mean?

The Cuddle Cat up high is either a complete fabrication or it was done to antagonize Maddie.....therefore....??

I am in a mood tonight....:mad:

Kate McCann trained as an anesthesiologist too but gave it up and became a GP so she could combine her career with motherhood.

Kate McCann trained as an anesthesiologist too but gave it up and became a GP so she could combine her career with motherhood.

Ahhhh!! I didn't realize that....hmmmmm. Veddy interrrrresting.

You know who is a trained anesthesiologist...Kate! I believe your theory is also possible, except for the Cuddle Cat part...IMHO. If you are in a panic...you would not stop to do ANYTHING...know what I mean?

The Cuddle Cat up high is either a complete fabrication or it was done to antagonize Maddie.....therefore....??

I am in a mood tonight....:mad:

OK..forget the Cuddle Cat...it was just a thought that popped in...I could see the perp grabbing it up out of Maddie's arms or from beside her and just tossing it onto a shelf or just anywhere, it landing on the shelf....but anyway...I just have this creepy feeling about RO. His 18-mo-old daughter throwing up and him just leaving her alone, sick like that, doesn't wash with me. Maybe she wasn't sick, and that was just his excuse for being away...

I have felt so bad thinking the parents were involved.
I hope I am sooooooo wrong thinking that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties