Magnotta March Prelim Hearing & Trial Day 1 - Sep 29, 2014 - Thread #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So can we assume that the prosecution entered all the pictures of the garbage bag items into evidence and the defence chose some actual items from those pictures to enter as evidence? I'm still at a loss as to why, other than they fit in with whatever elaborate story the jury is going to be told and the actual items make more of a point than just pictures of them? Did the "voices" make him wear badly matched outfits? ;)

Have to go out of town tomorrow (today?), so apologies that I won't be around to help out with the updates.

I wonder if it was the screwdriver he used in the video rather than an icepick? I haven't heard anything about an icepick being found or shown in court as of yet, and you'd think that would be a focal point considering the title he chose for his little movie.

ETA: Also, about Leclair putting emphasis on the fact that all of the evidence/trash was left out in the open for anyone to see, isn't that only because most of it wasn't picked up when it was supposed to be, because there was too much or something like that? Pretty sure LM was counting on trash day to clean up after him, and that plan backfired.

What time does the trial start today?

i read it is supposed to start at 9.30. but if google is right about the time in canada, it must have started almost 2 hours ago.

Sue Montgomery is tweeting about it. They are currently having a break

i just took a quick look on twitter, apparently nothing exciting happened until now. but jun lins chinese boyfriend is going to testify later. i would copy&paste, but i cant as i am only on my phone.

I'll go to Sue's twitter now and get the tweets up here for us.

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 2h 2 hours ago

Day three of #Magnotta murder trial about to start. Follow along

Jury has entered courtroom. Justice Guy Cournoyer answering question from them about the exhibits. Cross of Simoneau to continue now.

Reminder that Caroline Simoneau is crime scene photog for Montreal Police. She took shots of items found in garbage outside Magnotta apt

Leclair shows Casablanca poster to the jury #Magnotta

Have a feeling we'll be going through a lot of latex gloves in this trial. #Magnotta

Police also found red square, the symbol of student uprising in spring, 2012. Judge: "this is one issue about very few of us will forget"

Leclair now showing the jury the red square with safety pin attached. #Magnotta

Leclair now asking for the jock strap and double checks what it's called in French. (not quite sure where this is going..)

Simoneau holding up the jock strap and explaining steps police go through when gathering exhibits.

Now jury being shown a pair of black Adidas track pants. #Magnotta

Police detective now hauling out the box of evidence that came from Vancouver.

Leclair showing the jury a cardboard Canada Post box that was sent to a school in Vancouver

This box has red stain inside and was sent to False Creek Elementary School in Vancouver

A second box was sent to Louise Brown at St George's School in Point Grey, Vancouver

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 1h 1 hour ago

Six pieces of pink crumpled tissue paper; Leclair shows jury just one, mercifullly

Dear followers, as you can tell, it's not like on TV

Lin Jun's lover from China is supposed to testify today, once we get through these exhibits. Bear with me.

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 48m 48 minutes ago

Jury seeing actual boxes that were sent to Conservative and Liberal parties in Ottawa

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 47m 47 minutes ago

Morning break for 20 minutes. #Magnotta

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 8m 8 minutes ago

Feng Lin is the next witness. He was Lin Jun's lover #Magnotta

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 7m 7 minutes ago

The two met in 2009 and at Christmas 2010 Lin Jun left for Montreal. They became lovers then

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 5m 5 minutes ago

Feng Lin came to Montreal to live with Lin Jun, above a convenience store #Magnotta

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 4m 4 minutes ago

They lived on Charlevoix St. then moved to St Mathieu St in 2011 until Feng Lin left on May 13, 2012

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 3m 3 minutes ago

Feng Lin left Montreal May 13, 2012 for China, planning to stay the summer. But came back when Lin Jun was killed

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 2m 2 minutes ago

The two men kept in touch via text messages. Texted daily about 40-50 times

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 16s 17 seconds ago

Feng Lin could see that Lin Jun read his last message but he never responded to it

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 6m 6 minutes ago

When Feng Lin left Canada in May, 2012, the two man were thinking of just being friends, not lovers

Lin Jun was getting pressure from family to start a relationship with a woman and get married. They didn't know he was gay

Lin Jun didn't drink alcohol, smoke or take drugs, witness says. Feng Lin says the two were faithful to each other

Lin Jun never even took medicine, except when he had flu then would use over the counter western meds

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 3m 3 minutes ago

Lin Jun was 175 cm and weighed 60 kilos. He worked out three to four times a week

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 2m 2 minutes ago

Lin Jun had burn marks on his back and his hand and he had marks on his head from a hair transplant

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 39s 39 seconds ago

Did you watch *advertiser censored*? crown asks. "From time to time I do watch some *advertiser censored* but not that interested. Lin Jun was the same"

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 5s 5 seconds ago

Were you into bondage? Absolutely not! witness said. They didn't discuss it either.

I'm reading these tweets and I can't help but think how needless it seems to be doing all this and dragging the victim's private life into this. For situations like this I really think we need a different system to decide on the perp's mental state and just let the professionals deal with what to do with him rather than a full blow jury trial. Let him confess and let a panel of mental health experts decide whether he was NCR and then lock him up in the appropriate facility.

MOO

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 15m 15 minutes ago

Feng Lin sent several messages after May 25 that were neither opened nor read. got in touch with friends to look for him

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 14m 14 minutes ago

Feng Lin's English name is Felix, Lin Jun's Justin. The friend who went to look for Lin was Benjamin

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 13m 13 minutes ago

Feng Lin was in Bangkok on vacation when he got in touch with Benjamin on May 28 and asked him to look for Lin

Feng Lin flew back to Shanghai from Bangkok when Lin couldn't be found

Lin Jun was living in Mtl apt with friend from Taiwan and Feng Lin sent him a text

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 10m 10 minutes ago

Feng Lin saw on internet that body had been found but didn't cross his mind that it could be Lin Jun

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 10m 10 minutes ago

Enroute to Montreal Feng Lin got word that the body was Lin Jun

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 9m 9 minutes ago

After arriving in Montreal Feng Lin watched the beginning of the video

After watching the video, I concluded it wasn't Lin Jun and called police. Saw man tied to bed

Break in Magnotta until 2 pm

Here is Christie Blatchford's article. She tells it like she sees it, love reading her articles.

To that end, Mr. Leclair delivered a rambling history — it appears he has not met a sentence he is moved to complete — of Mr. Magnotta’s early days and various diagnoses.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...ka-magnotta-found-not-criminally-responsible/

Great video at that link showing the inside of the courtroom. It looks very different from what we're used to seeing on televised American trials. Looks like a cramped office really. Can't imagine being a juror sitting in there looking at what they have to look at. I hope they all come out of this okay. LM has had enough victims in his 32 years.

Here is an old article about LM and his mental issues back when he was arrested in his early twenties. I assume those psychiatric records are going to be brought out in this trial? http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/a-glimpse-inside-magnottas-mind/article4446492/

MOO

DAY 3 OF TRIAL - 1ST OCTOBER

Hi people! Just got home but here's a link in case the kind posters above me missed something. This is from this morning in Montreal and (hopefully) continuing this aft:

https://twitter.com/sleeCJAD

PS. To the person who asked about the time trials start - usually it's 9:00 or 9:30 am. NOTE: Montreal is in the same time zone as Toronto/Ontario. :)

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · now

Video feed has stopped in overflow room! #Magnotta

Ruh roh...I wonder if they are going to continue and who the 5 media people are in the actual courtroom?

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 1m 1 minute ago

And it's back #Magnotta

Phew, lol

suemontgomery @MontgomerySue · 41s 42 seconds ago

Lin Jun's lover continuing testimony. Says he went on Grindr site for meeting homosexuals

You post your picture and whoever is interested can respond. pics only semi-nude

Leclair asking for an adjournment for rest of afternoon. Jury filing out

Hmmm....I wonder what is going on? LM's attorney asking for an adjournment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevewho