Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Devastating and infuriating. 16 threads. 18? days...and there is more confusion and no more facts than before. This is incompetence (by MA gov't) at its' finest. I cannot imagine what these families are going through. Jeeeez.

MALAYSIAN authorities have revealed more about the final minutes of missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 and now say that it probably plunged into the ocean sometime between 8.11am and 9.15am on Saturday March 8.

The new details, which were garnered from never before used technology, have helped trace the Boeing 777-200’s final deadly flight path.

MH370 was last captured by satellite at 8.11am in a wide arc covering two massive northern and southern corridors. This was its last complete “handshake” with the Inmarsat satellite.

After that, at 8.19am there was evidence of the jetliner making a partial handshake with the ground station.

Then, sometime between 8.11am and 9.15am, it was no longer communicating with the ground station.

Investigators have therefore concluded that MH370 disappeared and crashed into a remote area of the southern Indian Ocean during that time.

By this time the jet would have been out of fuel. Authorities have previously said that at 8.11am the jetliner would have had about 30 minutes worth of fuel left

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-in-indian-ocean/story-fniztvng-1226863821771

Australia is now leading the search effort in the southern part of the southern corridor, 2500km south west of Perth which has now been narrowed from 2.24 million square nautical miles to 469,207 square nautical miles

Mr Hussein said he presumed that any debris from the missing plane would be brought to Australia and he suggested that it would fall to Australia as well to investigate.

However under ICAO laws, if the plane crashed in international waters, the investigation is the responsibility of the country of the carrier.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...-in-indian-ocean/story-fnizu68q-1226863821771

I think if they were àlive someone would have gotten in the cockpit and at least tried to signal mayday. I think at the very least the flight attendants would know how to do that.

Is there a way of signalling mayday if all the comms equipment is out? :dunno:

In the real-life TV show I just watched, ground control realised the plane was not acting right and had lost their transponders & comms. They had to fire up some kind of old radar system that did not use transponders for tracking aircraft. Luckily they were over land and could be tracked this old-fashioned way.

The way China is reacting to yesterday's news is very telling IMHO. No offense to Malaysia, but I would guess China has far greater intelligence and technology for this type of thing and if they are doubting the story, then everyone should. China has the most missing citizens and the greatest interest in finding out what happened.

Australia is now leading the search effort in the southern part of the southern corridor, 2500km south west of Perth which has now been narrowed from 2.24 million square nautical miles to 469,207 square nautical miles

Mr Hussein said he presumed that any debris from the missing plane would be brought to Australia and he suggested that it would fall to Australia as well to investigate.

However under ICAO laws, if the plane crashed in international waters, the investigation is the responsibility of the country of the carrier.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...-in-indian-ocean/story-fnizu68q-1226863821771

I was listening to a legal analyst last night on CNN and they said that lawsuits will most likely start in Malaysia and China (Malaysian airlines, Chinese passengers) and possibly Australia because the plane fell in their international waters. The Estates can sue if they find fault, in that case most of the deep pocket lawsuits will be handled in the United States because the engines were made here at Boeing.

____

Under an international treaty known as the Montreal Convention, the airline must pay relatives of each deceased passenger an initial sum of around $150,000 to $175,000.

Relatives of victims can also sue for further damages -- unless the airline can prove that it took all necessary measures to prevent a crash or any other incident that prevented passengers from arriving safely.

"It's going to be extremely difficult for Malaysia Airlines to plead absence of negligence" when the plane is missing, said Brian Havel, a law professor and director of the International Aviation Law Institute at DePaul University. "The negligence may have even begun in the process of accepting stolen passports." Liability could also stretch beyond the airline to the plane's manufacturer, Boeing, if a mechanical flaw is ruled the cause. But that would be a difficult case to prove if the plane is not recovered.

Monica Kelly, an attorney at Ribbeck Law Chartered who plans to file suit against Malaysia Airlines and Boeing, believes that based on her experience, families could receive between $400,000 and $3 million in damages. However, it could take two years before they see the money, she said.

And a lot depends on where the lawsuits are filed. Plaintiffs tend to be awarded much larger sums in U.S. courts than in other countries, said Mike Danko, an aviation lawyer with Danko Meredith who estimates some awards could be as large as $6 million to $8 million.

Uncertainty about the passengers' fate could slow the legal process. But if months go by with no sign of the passengers, most countries will allow judges to rule that a passenger is presumed dead, allowing claims to move forward, including life insurance and other other end-of-life matters.

Any lawsuits will likely unfold in several countries since people of 14 different nationalities were on board the flight. U.S. attorneys are already on the ground in Beijing, where many of the families are awaiting news of their loved ones in a hotel.

But most claims will likely be settled out of court, Havel said.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/21/news/companies/malaysia-airlines-insurance/

Devastating and infuriating. 16 threads. 18? days...and there is more confusion and no more facts than before. This is incompetence (by MA gov't) at its' finest. I cannot imagine what these families are going through. Jeeeez.

It could be years and years. These types of accident investigations cannot be resolved overnight.

It could be years and years. These types of accident investigations cannot be resolved overnight.

Ofcourse! I understand that. I also understand that WE are not privy to much of the information. However, I believe the families are entitled to some basic information which they have not been given. :moo:

Any Aussies on-thread should watch Air Crash Investigations tonight (Ch 7-Two). The episode right now is about a large commercial plane (a brand new 767) that gradually lost all its power .. transponders, engines, most everything .. and is gliding for many, many kms.

Not saying this is what happened to MH370, but the catastrophic events that can happen on a plane boggle the mind .. and are very scary. :eek:

Bugger. I didn't know it was on. Instead I watched the one about the Qantas A380. Really scary. What really got me was that it was such a cascade of catastrophes. One of the arguments against mechanical failure for MH370 is that "a" mechanical failure doesn't explain this or that. Well after watching the episode about the Qantas flight I have no problem seeing how a series of failures could happen and the plane continue to fly.

I also watched another one about a test flight for Air New Zealand *shudder*. There were four pilots on board and a few engineers and they still couldn't recover the plane. Watching it nose dive in the ocean...yuck.

At the end of the Qantas episode the pilot said something like- it's not about me as a pilot saving the plane, in aviation's entire history it has been about sharing information, so that we can all learn. Maybe we should send that episode to MA.

Another reason I liked the Qantas episode- it was just so darn Australian. It even had a Kev in it. No Johno or Davo, but there was a Kev.

Ofcourse! I understand that. I also understand that WE are not privy to much of the information. However, I believe the families are entitled to some basic information which they have not been given. :moo:

The families have been briefed every night before the media is advised of the daily updates.

Any Aussies on-thread should watch Air Crash Investigations tonight (Ch 7-Two). The episode right now is about a large commercial plane (a brand new 767) that gradually lost all its power .. transponders, engines, most everything .. and is gliding for many, many kms.

Not saying this is what happened to MH370, but the catastrophic events that can happen on a plane boggle the mind .. and are very scary. :eek:

Is that the Gimli Glider episode? I found that case really interesting, I'd never really thought what would happen when a plane completely lost power, but then when I thought about it, it was kind of obvious it wouldn't just suddenly plummet out of the sky.:blushing:

:waiting:

I agree.

2qbzw4j.gif

This is going to be a long search effort .. they are not even anticipating being able to use the black box locator before 5th April.

Mr Hussein said that special sonar equipment from America — known as towed pinger locator — was due to arrive in Perth Wednesday and would be transferred to the Australian ship, Ocean Shield, which is expected to dock in Perth on March 28. The ship and the locator is then due to arrive at the search area on April 5.

The equipment will help in the bid to locate the plane’s black box, which holds many of the keys to what happened to the plane and why it veered so far off its course from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8.

I think if they were àlive someone would have gotten in the cockpit and at least tried to signal mayday. I think at the very least the flight attendants would know how to do that.

I watched an episode about the Helios flight yesterday (yes, I'm having a marathon. My scardy cat husband is away so now I get to watch all the Air Crash Investigation that I want). I know the flight attendant made it into the cockpit and called mayday 5 times. It was never heard in the control tower but was heard clearly on the voice recorder. Everyone else on the plane had been unconscious from hypoxia for hours, somehow he managed to remain somewhat conscious.

I gotta tell you that I have now gone back to the " HAVE NOT IDEA WHATSOEVER" place.

I don't trust a thing from the malaysians on this. I am centered more on what the Australians and US efforts.

I just don't believe that they really know yet.

I don't think Malaysia has been out right lying. I just think they have been saying what intelligence they receive after looking it over to verify it. While at first this was clumsy from our point of view, they have certainly rapidly adapted to a less clumsy more worldwide presentation of the facts. I just don't think they have all the capabilities of the many larger Countries involved and trying to help.

Let's hope the weather lightens up, and good searches can begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member