Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OT
Oh no......Now we have Dr Drew trying to figure out the mystery of what happened to the plane. I trust Malaysia over Dr. Drew. LOL

Just kidding. I actually like Dr. Drew somewhat.

March 15
Satellite data shows the plane flew for seven hours after communications equipment was turned off, possibly towards Iran or south-west to the Indian Ocean.
Police raid homes of pilots Zaharie Ahmad Shah and Fariq Abdul Hamid.
March 16
Media reports a British-born al-Qaeda supergrass claims a handful of Malaysian men were planning a shoe bombing on the MH370.
Malaysia Airlines reveals plane’s communications were deliberately turned off.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/mh370--timeline-to-tragedy-20140325-hvmle.html#ixzz2x7Wt2eyd

So, 'supergrass' means informer?

This "unofficial" transcript takes a minute to load, look forward to any observations. :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...l-54-minutes-of-communication-from-MH370.html

I'd never actually seen that before - thanks for the link. I'd take it with a grain of salt though, unfortunately. ATC directing a/c to "get on the runway" stopped me in my tracks. LOL. "Taxi (or proceed)" would sound right. ATC is very precise with terminology.

So I'm assuming we are either losing a lot in translation somehow or we should focus on the prefix in "unofficial" transcript.

I'm having a hard time knowing who to trust getting our information from with this case. It's really frustrating. :(

I would hope the other governments who are shelling out all the money to help them search would at least have made a deal that they would spend all this money so long as they get first crack at pulling readings off the box.

I am sure certain other countries (like China who is also helping with their ship) dont trust Malaysia for being honest either.

OK well if so can I vote for Norway?

So, 'supergrass' means informer?

A supergrass is a bigtime informer, more akin to a whistleblower, not a street-corner snitch, for what it's worth. (But where would justice be without either?)

OT
Oh no......Now we have Dr Drew trying to figure out the mystery of what happened to the plane. I trust Malaysia over Dr. Drew. LOL

Just kidding. I actually like Dr. Drew somewhat.

Still...he should stick to rehab or something, imo.

As far as the black box or data recorder...I can't imagine other countries just taking Malaysia's word for what is on it, if found. Every country with passengers on board will want to know/hear, as well as Boeing, etc...

BBM ~ If you have hypoxia, is it possible your decisions are not sound before the unconscious state?

Also, if there was danger, wouldn't you declare an emergency and head to the nearest airport?

At this altitude, you try to save the lives of your passengers by descending as quickly as you can. Yes, your cognitive skills are soon to become compromised.

Oxygen is priority #1. Communications to the ground, including Maydays, come next. ATC will agree to whatever you request at that point anyway. Communicating with passenger s can wait...

BBM

Captain Shah seems to have a more relaxed, casual persona than the co-pilot. Just a vibe I get from watching him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh0IrWeLGC4

The "All right. Good night." was mentioned very early on; however, it was translated from English to Chinese, and then back to English, so something could very well have been lost in the translation. Still, the sign-off has a different feel to it.

The original transcripts have never been released, that I'm aware of, anyway. This past Monday, MAL stated on their website that they hadn't decided whether they would release them or not.

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/site/dark-site.html

Maybe they had a fight in the cockpit? Thanks for the clip! :seeya:

And, yes "Lost in translation" is not a good thing either. JMO.

BBM ~ Yes, I believe they said the "code" had to be manually entered in to disable.

Here I go, back to square 1. :facepalm:

I think the code your referring to was regarding the left turn.

According to US officials quoted in The New York Times it was likely that whoever typed the keystrokes into a computer on a knee-high pedestal between the captain and co-pilot was knowledgeable about plane systems.

The fact that the turnaround was programmed into the computer reinforced the belief of US investigators - first voiced by Malaysian officials - that the plane was diverted and that foul play was involved, the paper reported.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/9843991/Who-keyed-in-the-fateful-commands-on-MH370

I used to think it was intentionally disabled, but now....I don't think so.
Communications could have been knocked out by any sort of mechanical failure.

I agree, perhaps started by a smoldering fire. It's shutting off ACARS that has me perplexed. It doesn't appear to be something that could be done in the cockpit and the Captain would have to go to a lot of work to shut it off.

MOO

I'd never actually seen that before - thanks for the link. I'd take it with a grain of salt though, unfortunately. ATC directing a/c to "get on the runway" stopped me in my tracks. LOL. "Taxi (or proceed)" would sound right. ATC is very precise with terminology.

So I'm assuming we are either losing a lot in translation somehow or we should focus on the prefix in "unofficial" transcript.

I'm having a hard time knowing who to trust getting our information from with this case. It's really frustrating. :(

No import on "unofficial". I deem it "unofficial" since the first second it came out. So that is moot. Just what I call it.

I think the phrasing, even if transcribed and disclaimed, is all I am asking about. Is it normal to ask a plane to ascend repeatedly, that is what I ask.

See, and I disagree with this. I think a “mechanical failure” explanation leaves the Malaysian gov’t open to liability through either faulty upkeep or oversight as owner of the airline, kwim?

I would think (no legal experience whatsoever) that a explanation of pilot action would limit their liability and also paint them as “soft” victims, because after 30 years, how could they ever have predicted that?

Agree with this, thought about it earlier. I would also wonder if Malaysia doesn't want their aircraft maintenance records exposed.

Imo, "deliberate action" such a vague and misleading phrase in this context. Of course, with all the theories of hijacking or suicide flying around it's easy to interpret is as nefarious. But if there was a fire or mechanical problem, "deliberate action" could be the pilots switching off the electricals to contain the fire and/or turning the plane around for and emergency landing. It's unlikely the plane grew a brain and decided to turn around totally independent of a pilot. Ipso facto, it was deliberate action.

BBM~ I see it in this context, jmo;

Adjective:
"1. Deliberate - carefully thought out in advance; "a calculated insult"; "with measured irony"
calculated, measured
intended - resulting from one's intentions; "your intended trip abroad"; "an intended insult"
2. Deliberate - unhurried and with care and dignity; "walking at the same measured pace"; "with all deliberate speed""

Source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/deliberate

Agree with this, thought about it earlier. I would also wonder if Malaysia doesn't want their aircraft maintenance records exposed.

Good point.
Hence why they want to put the blame on one or both of the pilots.
If it turns out that this plane had mechanical failure, it makes Malaysia Airlines look bad. If something came back in those maintenance records that showed safety checks weren't done correctly, it makes Malaysia Airlines look bad.

Saying this was a "deliberate action" and "sabotage" takes the heat off of them.

That jumped out at me too, HulaMum. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member