Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to see if I ever heard how fast it was going and somewhere they said something about 460+ knots per hour. They asked the 1 guy what it meant and he said it meant they had to be at some higher type cruise altitude to go that fast.

Since 1 knots = 1.15077945 mph, that means it would be 529 MPH

But they mentioned 3 different speeds so I am not sure where or what document they were looking at.

This article says the new radar analysis might contradict the Inmarsat data. Is this information credible, has CNN said anything about this? tia

New 'credible lead' shifts MH370 search area

Abbott has been briefed on new radar data analysis which has prompted authorities to shift the search area...

(1) The analysis is of radar data between the South China Sea and the Strait of Malacca before contact with MH370 was lost...

(2) The new radar analysis also seems to contradict revelations that a British Inmarsat satellite picked up hourly "pings" from MH370 for close to seven hours after its communications system was shut down.​

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/9880127/New-credible-lead-shifts-MH370-search-area

Jon Williams ‏@WilliamsJon https://twitter.com/WilliamsJon
Pretty extraordinary taken 3 weeks to work out #MH370 flying faster than previously thought, so less fuel & been looking in wrong place.

That sums it up for me

The new area is 319,000 square kilometers (123,000 square miles) and about 1,850 kilometers (1,250 miles) west of Perth, Australia. The pervious search area was more southwest and about 2,500 kilometers (1,550 miles) from Perth.
So only a difference of 300 kilometres... so not saving a great deal of time.

Sorry, I disagree. On those distances from Perth, it's a difference of 650km less each way to the new search area so a total of 1300km round trip. I think that will save time and fuel which can be used for actual searching. Coupled with the better weather further north from where they have been searching, it is going to be easier searching. Just hope that these new calculations are correct.

This article says the new radar analysis might contradict the Inmarsat data. Is this information credible, has CNN said anything about this? tia

New 'credible lead' shifts MH370 search area

Abbott has been briefed on new radar data analysis which has prompted authorities to shift the search area...

(1) The analysis is of radar data between the South China Sea and the Strait of Malacca before contact with MH370 was lost...

(2) The new radar analysis also seems to contradict revelations that a British Inmarsat satellite picked up hourly "pings" from MH370 for close to seven hours after its communications system was shut down.​

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/9880127/New-credible-lead-shifts-MH370-search-area

I didnt catch exactly where or how all this new data was determined.

Sorry, I disagree. On those distances from Perth, it's a difference of 650km less each way to the new search area so a total of 1300km round trip. I think that will save time and fuel which can be used for actual searching. Coupled with the better weather further north from where they have been searching, it is going to be easier searching. Just hope that these new calculations are correct.

Retweeted by Keir Simmons
Ed Flanagan ‏@edmundflanagan 1h
#MH370 search aircraft/ships now abandoning previous search areas, which is closer to Perth meaning more time for planes to survey area.

https://twitter.com/KeirSimmons

I didnt catch exactly where or how all this new data was determined.

Info came from the ATSB (Australian Transport Safety Bureau ) - who in turn got it from the 'investigative team' - who in turn got it from polling of 'a satellite by an aircraft system'.

Sounds like Govt/defence force .. and that is all we may get.

We would like to update you on some credible information AMSA has received from the ATSB which will see the search area refocused today ...

An international air crash investigation team in Malaysia provided updated advice to the ATSB ...

The ATSB, as Australia’s transport investigation agency, is working with a range of other international expert organisations to analyse available data and determine the best area to search.

The key pieces of information being analysed relate to early positional information from the aircraft and later polling of a satellite by an aircraft system.

Here is the AMSA media release.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/newsroom/201...airlines-aircraft-2.aspx#.UzUDSuMqOvM.twitter

Does a plane fly much faster if it's on auto pilot?

I dont think so since even if flying manually the pilot could use the throttle to accellerate as fast as the plane would allow.

The guy on CNN did say that in order for a plane to be flying at 460+ knots per hour, it meant to him that it was probably flying at cruising altitude so height may be a factor in how fast a plane can go and usually whenever a plane is at flying at cruising altitude the auto-pilot is usually flipped on.

Our government seems absolutely sure it is here and that they will find it west of WA. I wonder if they've seen something on the images from Pine Gap and Jorn.

I'd put money on it.

Does a plane fly much faster if it's on auto pilot?
From what I have read, the answer is no. Speed is determined by the set parameters of each leg from waypoint to waypoint. If speed is exceeded or stall detected, pitch will auto-correct.

However, the last waypoint or ending is unknown and could have affected speed if it was open ended or set for landing (if I understand it correctly).

WARNING ALERT - Sky news UK reports there will be a Malaysian press conference at 5:30 pm Malaysian time in 2 hours and 17 minutes from this post. 5:30 am New York time, 9:30 am London Time.

Jmo I will watch Jon Stewart over any "real" news any day...lol

It's amazing that a comedy show does the best news reporting these days. The Daily Show has taken on the job of media watchdog and they do it well.

The Chinese families in Malaysia have requested formal assistance from China.

"We earnestly request that China establish an investigation office into MH370," the letter states, also urging "an effective communication system between the relatives and the government".

The family members hailed Beijing's efforts, but also called for greater support, including legal assistance and the full participation of Chinese authorities in the search.

"Uphold the rights and interests of the people. Do not simply give up," the letter reads. "Exhibit the demeanour of a great nation!"

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2014/03/28/11/10/japan-satellite-picks-up-floating-objects

Yes!!! Another night of watching a press conference with no answers.

Not for naught, don't fret. We've determined that there is a whole lot of junk floating around in oceans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cynthialynn13