Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The capability of the locator the Chinese were using is what gives me pause. One would think the FDR is in water much deeper than 600 ft. If the US Navy's pinger locator had picked up a signal, I would be much more confident it actually is the FDR.

MOO

I am wondering if the Ship has more sophisticated equipment on it than the inflatable boat we saw pics of..

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott said on Sunday searchers were "hopeful but by no means certain" that a pulse signal reportedly detected by a Chinese ship in the Indian Ocean was related to a Malaysia Airlines jetliner missing for four weeks.

"This is the most difficult search in human history. We are searching for an aircraft which is at the bottom of a very deep ocean and it is a very, very wide search area," Abbott told reporters in Tokyo, where he is on a visit.

"We need to be very careful about coming to hard and fast conclusions too soon."

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/04/06/MH370-search-Aussie-PM-hopeful-but-cautious/

"Hypoxia

1. How long would someone have to put on an oxygen mask before passing out?

University of New South Wales head of School of Aviation Jason Middleton told Fairfax Media that at 35,000 feet a person would have a minute or less to put on an oxygen mask before becoming unconscious.

2. How much oxygen would be available?

Passenger oxygen masks automatically drop if there is a loss of cabin pressure. Professor Middleton said passengers would have about 10 minutes supply of oxygen while the pilots descended to 10,000 feet as quickly as possible, at which point it is safe to breathe without an oxygen supply.

Professor Middleton said MH370s’ pilots would have had enough oxygen for about 30 minutes. But he said it had been shown that stress could make people consume oxygen four to five times faster than if they were calm.

Crew also have access to portable oxygen tanks that allow them to move within the cabin and help passengers.

3. How long can auto-pilot work for?

An Australian commercial pilot, who did not want to be named, said the auto-pilot system would work until a plane’s fuel ran out. The pilot said when the engines began to fail from lack of fuel, a system that is powered by air would keep the plane going for a short time longer before finally crashing.

4. Would those on board have known if there was a loss of cabin pressure?

The commercial pilot said if there was a loss of pressure in the plane the first thing a pilot would do would be to don their oxygen masks, which would take three to four seconds.

They dismissed some MH370 theories that had suggested the pilots may not have put on their oxygen masks to ensure they could see if there was smoke from a fire, as pilots’ oxygen masks have smoke hoods and can be purged to ensure their vision is kept clear.

The pilot said if there was a slow leak there would be numerous warning signs, including a loud siren if the plane got to 10,000 feet without enough pressure. They said there was no way the pilots could have flown without being aware that there had been a loss of pressure and even if there was an explosion of some sort, the pilots could hold their breath while making a rapid descent.

Professor Middleton said making an emergency descent due to depressurisation was part of standard training for commercial pilots. Checking oxygen supplies is also a mandatory part of pre-flight safety checks.

http://www.inverelltimes.com.au/sto...es-mystery-was-it-another-ghost-flight/?cs=12

Australian Defence Minister David Johnston was asked about the matter during a live cross on ABC24 for the WA Senate election.

"I know nothing. I don't want to confirm anything because I think there has been a lot of this sort of false positives," Senator Johnston said. "Let's wait until we have an official release. "But look, I'm excited, I'm optimistic, but let me tell you it's a very, very big ocean out there and up until this time, we've had a lot of disappointment."

Senator Johnston said he had not had a chance to "get to the bottom of this" as he had been busy with the election, but stressed there had been "a huge probability of false positives" in relation to the missing Malaysian Airlines flight. "Let's just stay calm," he said.

He said he would await information from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/Chinese-ship...7/articleID/338931/Default.aspx#ixzz2y42e3gJa

:banghead: What is going on? It's almost 30 days and no one can provide accurate information. Are they just trying to keep their ratings up, or what?

There are reports the FS had a Diego Garcia flightpath programmed in, I believe.

bbm
That one I have not heard before on MSM
I know posters here have speculated about Diego Garcia

"Hypoxia

1. How long would someone have to put on an oxygen mask before passing out?

University of New South Wales head of School of Aviation Jason Middleton told Fairfax Media that at 35,000 feet a person would have a minute or less to put on an oxygen mask before becoming unconscious.
2. How much oxygen would be available?

Passenger oxygen masks automatically drop if there is a loss of cabin pressure. Professor Middleton said passengers would have about 10 minutes supply of oxygen while the pilots descended to 10,000 feet as quickly as possible, at which point it is safe to breathe without an oxygen supply.
Professor Middleton said MH370s’ pilots would have had enough oxygen for about 30 minutes. But he said it had been shown that stress could make people consume oxygen four to five times faster than if they were calm.
Crew also have access to portable oxygen tanks that allow them to move within the cabin and help passengers.

3. How long can auto-pilot work for?

An Australian commercial pilot, who did not want to be named, said the auto-pilot system would work until a plane’s fuel ran out. The pilot said when the engines began to fail from lack of fuel, a system that is powered by air would keep the plane going for a short time longer before finally crashing.

4. Would those on board have known if there was a loss of cabin pressure?

The commercial pilot said if there was a loss of pressure in the plane the first thing a pilot would do would be to don their oxygen masks, which would take three to four seconds.

They dismissed some MH370 theories that had suggested the pilots may not have put on their oxygen masks to ensure they could see if there was smoke from a fire, as pilots’ oxygen masks have smoke hoods and can be purged to ensure their vision is kept clear.

The pilot said if there was a slow leak there would be numerous warning signs, including a loud siren if the plane got to 10,000 feet without enough pressure. They said there was no way the pilots could have flown without being aware that there had been a loss of pressure and even if there was an explosion of some sort, the pilots could hold their breath while making a rapid descent.

Professor Middleton said making an emergency descent due to depressurisation was part of standard training for commercial pilots. Checking oxygen supplies is also a mandatory part of pre-flight safety checks.

http://www.inverelltimes.com.au/sto...es-mystery-was-it-another-ghost-flight/?cs=12

The bolded items is something I am going to take away from this plane disaster. It is horrifying to think about and much more serious than I ever thought.

I never realized there was a limited supply of oxygen before. And I never realized how fast we had better get on those masks if there is ever decompression.

The next time I ever fly when the stewardess goes through the safety briefing I am going to pay attention to where that mask should drop from and if there is ever a decompression I am going to be one of the first ones to grab my mask and be sure to start breathing that O2. Then will begin to look out window and hope the pilot descends to 10000 feet quickly.

When they calculated the 10 minutes of O2 they give people I hope they took into account we all will be in panic mode and will be consuming the O2 at a rate of 4 to 5 times normal. :floorlaugh:

I'm cautiously optimistic :)

It wouldn't be luck at all. The Chinese are very, very technologically advanced. They spend tons on their military. This wouldn't be like Burma saying the found it from a little boat like the silly one pictured ;)

I don't blame the Chinese at all for going their own way with the search. Good for them. I hate it when searches and things are very insular (total line-of-command and all that). Maybe their physicists came up with a different spot, slightly. That's very possible. Those calculations involve many possible answers especially if we're talking about hundreds of miles, and the one right one can't be found without having more information. So the best we get mathematically is a best fit (an educated guess).

But always remember the subs! Very, very stealth subs, military ones are ;) I've been sure there were subs searching from nations that don't tell where their subs are (like the US doesn't). That really is often classified information for many countries. Nope, I can't blame China a bit if they found it and this is how it looks, lol. I hope they did!

Except for that part about who gets to keep the black box, but I think the US corners the market on the kinds of vessels that can retrieve it at great depths, so here's keeping our fingers crossed on that aspect.

I am wondering if the Ship has more sophisticated equipment on it than the inflatable boat we saw pics of..

Agree. Along the lines that they do not wish the world to know their technological capabilities, I also am curious if the photo of the men with the hand-held device was for the media and what detected the ping was actually something with more capability.

MOO

Agree. Along the lines that they do not wish the world to know their technological capabilities, I also am curious if the photo of the men with the hand-held device was for the media and what detected the ping was actually something with more capability.

MOO

Thinking the same thing

Don't they need to jump on this NOW, before this thing stops pinging? Or do they have the area marked out well enough to let it go a few days? Still, why would they?

bbm
That one I have not heard before on MSM
I know posters here have speculated about Diego Garcia

“The simulation programmes are based on runways at the Male International Airport in Maldives, an airport owned by the United States (Diego Garcia), and three other runways in India and Sri Lanka, all have runway lengths of 1,000 metres.

“We are not discounting the possibility that the plane landed on a runway that might not be heavily monitored, in addition to the theories that the plane landed on sea, in the hills, or in an open space,” the source was quoted as saying.

- See more at: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/m...70-pilots-simulator-bh-r#sthash.Ku1hHuP4.dpuf

Thinking the same thing

Me too. I don't think we should underestimate their capabilities at all.

I was also disappointed, but not surprised, to hear that they have their own RCC. I don't think the trust levels between East and West in this matter are as high as we would like to think they are.

"Air Chief Marshal Houston says the Australian Maritime Safety Authority's Rescue Coordination Centre (RCC) has spoken to the RCC in China and asked for any further information that may be relevant."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-...0-chinese-search-vessel-detects-pulse/5370186

Makes me wonder if disrespect for China is deliberately being shown, by not rushing to the scene all at once.

Don't they need to jump on this NOW, before this thing stops pinging? Or do they have the area marked out well enough to let it go a few days? Still, why would they?

Agree. If it is not checked someone definitely doesn't want this plane found.

WARNING ALERT - Press conference at 1130 am local time Perth Australia 1 hour and 20 minutes from now according to journalist on twitter. 11:30pm New York Time, 4:30am London Time.

Leisha Chi ‏BBC Producer & Reporter @leishachi 42s

Australia JACC chief Angus Houston to give #MH370 press conference in just over an hour at 1130am local.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clm79