Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
April 07, 2014 2:46PM

Search for Malaysia Airlines jet detects signals ‘consistent’ with black boxes

Angus Houston, the former Australian defence chief who is leading the search coordination body.

“The towed pinger locator deployed from the Australian defence vessel Ocean Shield has detected signals consistent with those emitted from aircraft black boxes,’’ he said.

Air Chief Marshal Houston said the development was “very encouraging’’ but further confirmation was needed.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...with-black-boxes/story-e6frg95x-1226876571686

I'm impressed! It's absolutely remarkable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great News. They may have found it afterall. I am optimistic.

I do have a question I wish they would ask though.

You know those GPS Marker Bouyees they have been throwing out over the past 2 or 3 weeks. I am wondering if those send out pinger signals or not?

I hope not because then maybe those marker bouyees could be sending out the signals instead of the planes black boxes.

Great News. They may have found it afterall. I am optimistic.

I do have a question I wish they would ask though.

You know those GPS Marker Bouyees they have been throwing out over the past 2 or 3 weeks. I am wondering if those send out pinger signals or not?

I hope not because then maybe those marker bouyees could be sending out the signals instead of the planes black boxes.

Oh my word, I sure hope not!! That would be a pretty embarrassing oversight if so.

Once they make enough straight line passes coming from different directions using the pinger locator device, they will then be able to estimate where the black boxes actually are.

Once that is done then they will lower down the "Bluefin 21 Torpedo looking device" which has sidescan sonar and also has the capability to take actual pictures of the sea floor. The goal of the Bluefin 21 device will be to take actual pictures of the plane wreckage to get positive confirmation that the plane is down there.

Once they make enough straight line passes coming from different directions using the pinger locator device, they will then be able to estimate where the black boxes actually are.

Once that is done then they will lower down the "Bluefin 21 Torpedo looking device" which has sidescan sonar and also has the capability to take actual pictures of the sea floor. The goal of the Bluefin 21 device will be to take actual pictures of the plane wreckage to get positive confirmation that the plane is down there.

What do you figure the timeline is?

Oh my word, I sure hope not!! That would be a pretty embarrassing oversight if so.

Yeah, I hope those GPS marker bouyees dont transmit the same kind of pinging frequency.

I also had a horrible thought that if there was any kind of sabotage attempt to purposely disrupt the search efforts, then any ship or plane could have thrown out a bunch of devices to make that pinging sound to throw off the investigators. If anything like that was done, they will surely find the devices and be able to analyze them to determine who threw them out.

What do you figure the timeline is?

I was listening carefully to the interview they did with the guy on one of the ships that is helping and he indicated that since so much long cable is being dragged behind the boat that it can take many hours just to turn the boat and make another pass from another direction.

They have already made 2 passes and want to at least get a 3rd pass or more.

So by the time the get a good location fix to then put out the Bluefin 21 to start its searching for the wreckage, I am thinking it will be at least 24 - 72 hours more before we can get actual pictures of the wreckage (if that plane is down there).

I am pretty optimistic for the first time and I do think they may have found it. Very happy to hear this news. It will be amazing if they found it.

Cnl 10 in Australia are reporting that the plane "HAS" been found. Can't find a link as yet.

According to James Cook University marine geologist Dr Robin Beaman, the search area forms part of the Perth Abyssal Plain — a vast stretch of flat, muddy ocean bottom.

“I think it is in the order of 4500m and that is incredibly deep. Any recovery operation is going to be incredibly challenging and very demanding and will take a long period of time,” he said
It lies about 60km east of the Brouwer Trough, an ocean trench that drops as low as 5000m below sea-level.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mh...t-with-black-box/story-fni0fiyv-1226876424791
While relatively free of geological features that would make it difficult to access the black box flight recorder or aircraft wreckage, Dr Beaman said the depth would present problems.

Cnl 10 in Australia are reporting that the plane "HAS" been found. Can't find a link as yet.

Oh gawd, please let this be it!! My heart can't take another rumor, but I feel good about these pings.

For those that didnt catch the CNN live news interview with one of the guys on one of the other ships which is directly helping the Ocean Shield ship locate the black box. He described the method in how they do it.

Basically the Ocean Shield is dragging a very long cable behind the ship with the pinger locator device at the end of the very long cable. The Ocean Shield makes a straight line pass through the signal area. What happens is the signal begins to get stronger and stronger and then it begins to fade away as they pass further away. Once the sound totally disappears, that is considered a single pass.

Then the Ocean Shield makes a long turn and makes an entirely new pass through the area from a different direction on purpose and do the same thing. Then they do it again for a 3rd time from another location.

In this fashion, they are basically "triangulating" to try to get the point where their path crossses at the loudest sound of the ping. This gives them the spot where the box should be located.

The long cable is extremely long and I read the other day it can be thousands of feet of cable behind the boat. This is the reason it can take many hours just to turn the boat and make 1 single pass.

Yeah, I hope those GPS marker bouyees dont transmit the same kind of pinging frequency.

I also had a horrible thought that if there was any kind of sabotage attempt to purposely disrupt the search efforts, then any ship or plane could have thrown out a bunch of devices to make that pinging sound to throw off the investigators. If anything like that was done, they will surely find the devices and be able to analyze them to determine who threw them out.

the 37.5 khz was chosen because it was a unique frequency, very little operates on it, natural or man made.

but didnt he say the chinese ship was m9ost encouragin?

I think its possible that even though the chinese ship may have been 300 miles south of the actual location that maybe the sound waves somehow made it to their ship. They only had really faint and fleeting signals so maybe that pinger sound somehow travelled down to them.

It seems a little far to be able to pickup a signal like that but sounds waves are really strange and just like tuning a radio you sometimes pickup really far away stations at times.

WARNING ALERT - Malaysian press conference in just over three hours from now at 5:30pm Malaysian time. 5:30am New York time, 10:30am UK time.

Thanks for all your updates regarding the most recent press conference in Australia it is much appreciated.

Angus Houston, the former Australian defence chief who is heading the search, said Ocean Shield detected the sounds on two occasions over a period totalling more than two-and-a-half hours.

Most promising lead so far.

sky.com/news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members