DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joint Agency Coordination Centre

Media Release
17 April 2014—am

Up to ten military aircraft, two civil aircraft and 11 ships will assist in today's search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

Today the Australian Maritime Safety Authority has planned a visual search area totalling approximately 40,349 square kilometres. The centre of the search areas lies approximately 2,170 kilometres north west of Perth.

Overnight Bluefin-21 AUV completed a full mission in the search area and is currently planning for its next mission. Bluefin-21 has searched approximately 90 square kilometres to date and the data from its latest mission is being analysed.

The oil sample collected by Ocean Shield has now arrived in Perth and will be subject to detailed testing and analysis. We will provide details of the results when they become available.

The weather forecast for today is isolated showers and south easterly winds.

http://www.jacc.gov.au/media/releases/2014/april/mr025.aspx

The last report I read said the missing airliner was somewhere in a 100 square km region. Has that figure been revised?

I thought I had read that it was a 40 sq km area? I could be wrong, but I thought I read it here, so maybe check in the last 5 or 6 pages of the thread before this one.

HTH.

I heard mentioned on CNN ( Wolf Blitzer) that something like a bread basket was found (floating I think) and was being analyzed. Anyone else hear anything on this?

I heard this too. It was found by NZ searchers and is being analyzed.
Couldn't find anything online.

The black boxes in airliners have a sonar pinger that sends out a Ping every second. The batteries that power this device are designed to last about a month. A ship sent to the area where the missing 777 is believed to to be heard a pinger for a while, but it has now gone silent. Presumably because the battery power has run out. The pinger data doesn't tell us precisely where the aircraft is, but leaves us with a much smaller area to search.

The searchers are now using a remote controlled submarine to search the ocean floor using an active sonar system. This should be able to find the wreckage, but it is a slow process that may take weeks or even months.

I wonder if they can triangulate and get a rough idea where the wreckage is. I know sound travels differently in water than in the air.

I thought I had read that it was a 40 sq km area? I could be wrong, but I thought I read it here, so maybe check in the last 5 or 6 pages of the thread before this one.

HTH.

Not sure what the size of the search area is narrowed down to, i forget

But as of today on its 3rd search the Bluefin-21 has searched a 90 square kilometer area (34.7 sq miles)

I heard this too. It was found by NZ searchers and is being analyzed.
Couldn't find anything online.

I have been looking for any reports on that online as well
I've have not found anything either.

I wonder if they can triangulate and get a rough idea where the wreckage is. I know sound travels differently in water than in the air.

I'm pretty sure they have (or may still be refining it further) and that's how they decided where to deploy the submersible.

No. I think they just have a high degree of confidence (based on Inmarsat data, likely flight path, and black box pings, plus info that perhaps only military is privy to) that they're in the right area, and a reasonably small area at that. Small is relative, though, and the submersibles move slowly, which is why they keep warning people it will be time-consuming. But they are investing that time based on, again, a high degree of confidence based on an aggregate of data that's been collected over the last few weeks.

EDIT: I should also mention that on other forums I'm on, the loss of the black box signal is considered a good thing--the batteries were supposed to run out right about when they did, which is more proof they're in the right area.

Agree regarding the black box signal no longer being detected and the time frame. I do believe they are in the right area, it is just a long, arduous task for Bluefin-21 to locate the exact spot where the wreckage is.

MOO

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/sea...o-go-under-water/story-fniztvnf-1226883719376

The search area has been narrowed down to patch of ocean floor less than 1000 kilometres square making a successful physical search almost impossible.

That's one of those weird unattributed pieces of info--not even a quote. I think official sources have gone out of their way not to give a specific size. But even still they do officially say the bluefin has already covered 97 sq km, so clearly it's not impossible.

Image from linked article:

rytevuvy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's looks like a triangle whirlpool.... Perhaps MH370 is right smack dab in the middle of this?

What really puzzles me still is there is no debris. :waitasec:

Wouldn't you think if they are, which I believe, in the correct area, there would be debris?

Just tuned in. :seeya:

So, this "oil slick" would be the first "debris"? Hmm.

Essentially, yes.

Also, I believe if the plane wreckage is thousands of feet deep into the ocean, it is not surprising there is no floating debris (such as items from the plane).

MOO

:eek:

uFly fires flight instructor after CNN appearances on Malaysia Airlines story
Mitchell Casado 'shamed Canadians' with shabby appearance, company owner says

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...-on-malaysia-airlines-story-1.2613065?cmp=rss

Unfortunate and hope he gets another job soon. I don't recall the simulator on CNN last night either and thought perhaps it was due to the focus now on Bluefin-21. It was interesting having the reporter and Mitchell as part of the coverage of MH370.

:(

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members