Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a shame to hear about Casado's termination, he seemed like a decent guy. From the beginning I felt that his appearance seemed a little overly-casual, but his demeanor seemed reasonable. I wouldn't have been able to act as level-headed if I was stuck in a tiny box with Martin Savidge for hours on end, answering stupid questions from Don Lemon (I'm surprised Lemon never asked them to simulate flying the plane into a black hole). Hopefully he is able to land on his feet okay, but don't be surprised if we see him on Don Lemon's super-powered Brady Bunch panel-of-experts in the coming weeks. If there's one thing CNN is clearly fond of, it's "consistency" in how they present their narrative-of-choice to the audience.

Originally Posted by Amee
The best leads in the underwater search for Malaysia Airlines flight 370 will be exhausted in about a week, Prime Minister Tony Abbott says.

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday, Mr Abbott said if the Bluefin-21 underwater drone scanning the Indian Ocean's seabed in the search area fails to locate wreckage, there would need to be a rethink.

"We believe that search will be completed within a week or so," Mr Abbott said.

"If we don't find wreckage, we stop, we regroup, we reconsider."

Mr Abbott said he was confident searchers were looking in the right place for the plane based on the electronic signals, possibly from the aircraft's black boxes, detected by equipment towed by Australian naval vessel ADV Ocean Shield on April 5 and 8.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...#ixzz2z6qHfCbT
I really think Mr. Abbott should leave the talking to Mr. Houston.

Well, we know the search is supposed to go on for a lot longer than a week or so.

I wonder if the allocated search $$$ are running out, and this is Abbott saying so in his politician's way.

Angus Houston is being a bit quiet too.

I have just seen this ... about the continuation of the search if nothing is found very soon.

It is in the same article as one where our Prime Minister speaks of possibly re-looking at things if nothing is found in the next week.

As the search for the missing aircraft continues into day 41, Defence Minister David Johnston said the underwater search may end up being run primarily by private companies, with estimates this could cost up to $250 million.

“Ultimately it may well be that there is a civilian contractor to come and pick up the pieces if we have no success,” he told the Wall Street Journal.

He said payment for the search would probably have to be negotiated between Malaysia, the US and China.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...ster-tony-abbott/story-fnizu68q-1226887262467

It took a couple of attempts, but here's what I managed to access:

----------------

Two litres of oil were found by Australian vessel Ocean Shield in the area where four "pings" possibly from the missing plane's black box recorder were detected last week.

They were immediately taken for tests to determine whether they could be a clue to the location of flight MH370, which vanished while flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8.

The plane was carrying 239 people, most of them Chinese nationals.

Sky News correspondent Nick Martin, in Perth, Australia, said: "The discovery of an oil slick near to the search area was one of the 'promising leads'" authorities spoke of.

"If analysis had shown it to be engine oil from the plane it would have been the first real, tangible sign of missing MH370.

"This is yet another investigative avenue closed.

"Malaysia Airlines had flown a sample of the engine oil it uses in its 777 fleet to Perth to compare it with that of the material discovered in the Indian Ocean."

More follows ...
^^^^ this bolder, but does not appear to be a working link, at least via iPhone.

HTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol: Now they have Martin Savidge 50 feet under water in some kind of submarine contraption, poor guy. If he starts dressing like an adolescent frat boy we know why, he wants to get fired!

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 search area ‘significantly narrowed’

April 17, 2014 10:01PM

IT is described as “the best lead we have in relation to missing flight MH370”.

Retired Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston, Chief Coordinator of the Joint Agency Coordination Centre, said the underwater search for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has been significantly narrowed through detailed acoustic analysis conducted on the four signal detections made by the Towed Pinger Locator on Australian Defence Vessel Ocean Shield in the southern Indian Ocean.

“This analysis has allowed the definition of a reduced and more focused underwater search area,” the JACC said in a statement.

“This represents the best lead we have in relation to missing flight MH370 and where the current underwater search efforts are being pursued to their completion so we can either confirm or discount the area as the final resting place of MH370.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...icantly-narrowed/story-fniztvng-1226888625751

Weren't the Chinese pings in another area? I presume they were a false alarm/red herring.

Was following Dr Teleka Patrick's thread; but I thought that they moved near where the Chinese heard the sounds & ended up actually catching the pinger even though what the Chinese heard was not the pinger.

I wonder if they can triangulate and get a rough idea where the wreckage is. I know sound travels differently in water than in the air.

From the article below; he's pretty confident they have found the right area; that they can't just say the plane is found until they have images of it. He said the best of the best were brought in to triangulate the area.

David Mearns says missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 crash site has been found
ONE of the world’s most experienced wreck hunters believes the crash site of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has been found and that recovering its black boxes is inevitable.

David Mearns, the director of UK-based Bluewater Recoveries said that 40 days after the Boeing 777-200ER went missing, search teams had finally found their target.

“I think essentially they have found the wreckage site,” Mearns told the ABC’s 7.30 program last night.

“While the Government hasn’t announced that yet, if somebody asked me: ‘Technically, do they have enough information to say that?’ My answer is unequivocally ‘Yes’.”

...“Obviously for the sake of the families and for everybody else they will want photographic proof and that will be coming shortly,” Mr Mearns said.

April 17, 2014

As the search for the missing aircraft continues into day 41, Defence Minister David Johnston said the underwater search may end up being run primarily by private companies, with estimates this could cost up to $250 million.

“Ultimately it may well be that there is a civilian contractor to come and pick up the pieces if we have no success,” he told the Wall Street Journal.

He said payment for the search would probably have to be negotiated between Malaysia, the US and China.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/ma...ster-tony-abbott/story-fniztvne-1226887262467

:lol: Now they have Martin Savidge 50 feet under water in some kind of submarine contraption, poor guy. If he starts dressing like an adolescent frat boy we know why, he wants to get fired!

:floorlaugh: I.needed that laugh!

I just now saw this on CNN. :floorlaugh:

Not surprised. I had many simulator instructors over a 33 year career as a pilot for an international airline. I never saw one dressed like a sloppy teenager at McDonalds on a weekend night.

I guess especially since he was in the national and international spotlight in a major way.

Seems to me like that was just his style. In fact, I remarked on here one time that I liked his "casual look" as it made him appear more relaxed and was also a nice change to the suits and dresses we saw on Lemon, Anderson, Quest, et al.

But he could have done that if it was his own company, and since it was not, that's why he got fired.

It's a shame to hear about Casado's termination, he seemed like a decent guy. From the beginning I felt that his appearance seemed a little overly-casual, but his demeanor seemed reasonable. I wouldn't have been able to act as level-headed if I was stuck in a tiny box with Martin Savidge for hours on end, answering stupid questions from Don Lemon (I'm surprised Lemon never asked them to simulate flying the plane into a black hole). Hopefully he is able to land on his feet okay, but don't be surprised if we see him on Don Lemon's super-powered Brady Bunch panel-of-experts in the coming weeks. If there's one thing CNN is clearly fond of, it's "consistency" in how they present their narrative-of-choice to the audience.

bbm

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

The "Brady Bunch" is sooooo annoying to me. Not the people on it, but just the design of it. They don't need so many people on at one time!! Every person only gets to say like one sentence! :facepalm:

April 17, 2014

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/ma...ster-tony-abbott/story-fniztvne-1226887262467

Snipped by me

Interesting, is this Australia's way of saying they are pulling out of the search? And why is the good old US going to share the cost? We had one American and maybe two children with dual citizenship on the plane IIR.

Just a sore point that US hands out so much money to issues they are not involved in while here in America they turn a blind eye to the millions who need help. Got it, we have to keep countries on our good side and all that. . .:rollercoaster:

Snipped by me

Interesting, is this Australia's way of saying they are pulling out of the search? And why is the good old US going to share the cost? We had one American and maybe two children with dual citizenship on the plane IIR.

Just a sore point that US hands out so much money to issues they are not involved in while here in America they turn a blind eye to the millions who need help. Got it, we have to keep countries on our good side and all that. . .:rollercoaster:

I believe the quote was that private companies would be taking over. That would mean Boeing, I think. As long as the aircraft was of no danger to Australia where it ended up I don't see why they would have any major concerns about recovery. Australia has more than contributed to help find this aircraft with not much information or help from Malaysia as to how or why it ended up lying at the bottom of the ocean off their coast.

Also there are two very big companies that are extremely interested in finding out what happened with this flight, Boeing and Rolls Royce. jmo

I believe the quote was that private companies would be taking over. That would mean Boeing, I think. As long as the aircraft was of no danger to Australia where it ended up I don't see why they would have any major concerns about recovery. Australia has more than contributed to help find this aircraft with not much information or help from Malaysia as to how or why it ended up lying at the bottom of the ocean off their coast.

Also there are two very big companies that are extremely interested in finding out what happened with this flight, Boeing and Rolls Royce. jmo

I believe he was referring to contracting the search to private enterprises which perform searches as a business (i.e., not Boeing or RR). I have wondered why private companies have not yet been involved. I don't know who's supposed to pay for this, though. It should be Malaysia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur