Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/03/15/malaysia-airlines-search-heads-toward-indian-ocean/

re: the satellite "pings" (like a telephone searching for a cell tower)

It seems to me that this is something that whoever did this, did not think about or did not know about.

They obviously wanted the plane to be un-traceable, which is why they turned off transponder and the other ACARS thing.

However, the plane was still semi-traceable due to these pings.

IF whoever did this, knew about the satelittle pings, wouldn't they be afraid that either Malaysia or China would get this ping information EARLY on, as soon as they discovered the flight missing on the radar, and tracked down the plane. (If they had gotten info. early, they would only be a few hours behind the plane).

IDK, it just seems to me like whoever did this did not know about this satellite ping thing.

***** Also adding that, "few hours behind the plane" could be made up possibly with fighter jets. So that was a real risk for whoever did this, if they knew about these satellite pings. I don't think they knew about them.

Or was well aware of but unable to do anything to prevent it...relying on (his) lead time to get where he was going, knowing the various weaknesses/blind spots in radar coverage perhaps.

Officials revealed that the final words from the cockpit - "All right, good night" - were spoken to air traffic controllers after the plane's data communication system had been partially disabled. The pilots did not mention any trouble on board, suggesting they may have been misleading ground control.

Asked what the significance of this was, air force Maj. Gen. Affendi Buang told reporters: "This will tell you something ... because this is something not normal that the pilot would do."

Affendi said he did not know whether it was the pilot or co-pilot who spoke to air traffic controllers. That uncertainty also opened the possibility that someone else spoke those words, though he did not mention this scenario.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/malaysi...5-countries-helping-search-for-missing-plane/

bbm

Well OMG!
This is what I was talking about. BBM

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...y-have-been-cyber-hijacked-using-mobile-phone

World's first cyber hijack: Was missing Malaysia Airlines flight hacked with mobile phone?

British anti-terror expert Dr Sally Leivesley said last night: “It might well be the world’s first cyber hijack.”

Dr Leivesley, a former Home Office scientific adviser, said the hackers could change the plane’s speed, altitude and direction by sending radio signals to its flight management system. It could then be landed or made to crash by remote control. Possible culprits include criminal gangs, terrorists or a foreign power.

If the person in control of the plane knew the cabin pressure would be compromised due to whatever their plan was, they could don an oxygen mask prior to the event. Hypoxia begins to set in for some people at 15,000 ft. So, the increase to 40,000 ft. would definitely kill everyone who wasn't wearing an oxygen mask.

Well OMG!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...y-have-been-cyber-hijacked-using-mobile-phone

World's first cyber hijack: Was missing Malaysia Airlines flight hacked with mobile phone?

British anti-terror expert Dr Sally Leivesley said last night: “It might well be the world’s first cyber hijack.”

Dr Leivesley, a former Home Office scientific adviser, said the hackers could change the plane’s speed, altitude and direction by sending radio signals to its flight management system. It could then be landed or made to crash by remote control. Possible culprits include criminal gangs, terrorists or a foreign power.

My personal leanings. (Have several hi-tech IT/military people in my family, so it doesn't seem so remote to me as maybe to others.)

It evaded civilian radar, but not military radar. I imagine a lot of countries that don't necessarily have massive militaries keep their technological capabilities pretty quiet. They don't want it to get out where the gaps in their radar are, so avoiding military radar would be very difficult unless you're an insider.

Yes, there was a press conference. Lots and lots of questions from various reporters. Many questions and the answers to them were not in English.

Not much new. They took the Pilot's flight simulator from his house and are reassembling it at a police location and will study it.

Said the wife and children did not move out of house. Said they are still reassessing search assets and working on coming up with a plan for further searching. They thanked all the nations (25 of them now) who are helping in the search.

They confirmed that the transponder was turned off prior to someone saying the "Allright, good night". They said they need any radar or satellite data that anyone has that could help them. They said there has been no ransom demand or any other kind of demand.

There were four men who answered questions. I do not know who they were. Three in shirtsleeves, one in a military uniform. Ministers of this and that.
The main guy was pretty good. He came across as a good spokesperson. The military guy came across as haughty, literally with chin jutting out and "looking down his nose" at the audience. He did later loosen up a bit in his bearing.

Apparently a question was asked and the answer given was words to the effect of "We don't know, go ask the Americans". I would suspect that was the military guy.

It is obvious the Malaysians are uncomfortable with the idea of "transparency", but it did appear during this press conference that they are trying.

Time for FBI, NTSB to take reins of Malaysia probe, Rep. Peter King says

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ysia-probe-into-missing-plane-wants-more-fbi/

Officials say they have less than three weeks left to recover the boxes.

snipped
Reports that two Iranians boarded the flight with stolen passports were written off too quickly, added King, who said that there are still many unanswered questions regarding the two passengers.

Good morning!

Not knowing anything about flight simulators, I am curious if it retains data such as a computer's hard drive would? To operate it, is it connected to a computer? I also read/heard his computer was removed from the house.

MOO

That is exactly what i'm thinking. If the flight simulator was "tested" to take the itself off course.

I am very curious to know if this data can be retrieved. :seeya:

If the person in control of the plane knew the cabin pressure would be compromised due to whatever their plan was, they could don an oxygen mask prior to the event. Hypoxia begins to set in for some people at 15,000 ft. So, the increase to 40,000 ft. would definitely kill everyone who wasn't wearing an oxygen mask.

Even with the masks, it takes about 5-7 minutes. If the plane went to 45,000, after decending back to 23,000, there probably was a plane filled with deceased passengers. The pilots have another air supply. Sad scenario.

But it didn't evade radar according to the nyt link.
The watchers of the radar failed to act.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/w...cating-the-task-of-finding-flight-370.html?hp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True. Malaysian radar was not avoided altogether (ie. military radar), and they either didn't notice it at first or didn't think it was anything to get alarmed about. And while they mentioned the blip on the screen after the search started, it also wasn't possible to confirm it was the MH370 with any degree of certainty until US aviation experts (and those of some other nations) joined the ranks and added their technological expertise and satellite info. Apparently the Malaysian airspace radar could only detect the approximate size and speed of the aircraft in the blip (once noticed). And it took other corroborating data and other thinking heads to finally conclude it was indeed the MH370.

In any case, the map still shows expert knowledge of and use of waystops (not used by someone with just commercial pilot expertise).

Time for FBI, NTSB to take reins of Malaysia probe, Rep. Peter King says

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ysia-probe-into-missing-plane-wants-more-fbi/

Officials say they have less than three weeks left to recover the boxes.

snipped
Reports that two Iranians boarded the flight with stolen passports were written off too quickly, added King, who said that there are still many unanswered questions regarding the two passengers.

The FBI? NTSB? Malaysia is not the United States. While I don't believe M has been competent in the investigation, this is another country. We cannot just go in and take control.

And, if the pilot(s) was suicidal, I don't think we will be informed. Malaysia's state religion is Islam. Lots of luck on suicide:

"Don't kill yourself. No doubt Allah (SWT) is merciful and anyone who does so, will be pushed in fire. And it is easy for Allah (swt)." (Nisa: 4:29, 4:30)

but suicide bombers are excluded from that. they have their own special verses. jmo

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2014/03/15/21536601.html

"Countries contacted by Malaysia to assist in the search range from the former Soviet central Asian republics in the north to Australia in the south, along with France, which administers a scattering of islands deep in the southern Indian Ocean uninhabited except for a handful of researchers.

The Indian Ocean is one of the most remote places in the world and also one of the deepest, posing enormous challenges for efforts to find any wreckage or the flight voice and data recorders that would be key to solving the puzzle."

This may seem far-fetched, but is it possible that a "hacker" could turn off the ACARS system from the ground and potentially change the course of the flight (control the auto-pilot)? I talked to my husband about this and he says that it is possible, but there would have to be some sort of "transmitter" implanted inside the plane.

This is one theory the Daily Mail are proposing (although DM is not the most reliable of sources):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2582015/Is-missing-Malaysian-plane-world-s-CYBER-HIJACK.html

*IF* the plane landed somewhere and the purpose of a hijacking was part of a much larger plan, I agree, it would have to have the support of a large group in order to deal with the passengers on board. It is the number of passengers that I am skeptical of it being on the ground somewhere....what to do with them? I cannot imagine the fear and terror in their souls if they are still alive being held hostage somewhere, or were killed after landing. It would be far better for them if the cabin lost pressure and they became unconscious and died during the flight.

:(

MOO

As discussed yesterday, I do not feel the pilot had any intentions to harming all onboard.

If this is in fact pilot hijacking (air piracy), I believe they are safe and sound in an undisclosed location.

He may be trying to prove a point without causing harm, except the worrying the loved ones are feeling.

http://translate.google.com/transla...&tl=en&u=http://www.iefimerida.gr/node/147278

"In particular Mr Karagiannis said that the ship passed through the Strait of Malacca, however, there was nothing on the surface or objects or a trace or debris from Boeing.

Πηγή: The Greek ship in the Strait of Malacca: No trace of the fatal Boeing - We did not see anyone looking | News and news with attitude http://www.iefimerida.gr/node/147278#ixzz2w9Ap3SrN"

ETA: that Greek ship apparently didn't find anything.

This may seem far-fetched, but is it possible that a "hacker" could turn off the ACARS system from the ground and potentially change the course of the flight (control the auto-pilot)? I talked to my husband about this and he says that it is possible, but there would have to be some sort of "transmitter" implanted inside the plane.

Yup. I believe this is a possibility.

If it is air piracy, I would imagine a group of people would be involved on and off the ground. :twocents:

Well OMG!

That's so crazy. Sounds like a movie, like it couldn't even be true. Would this type of hijacking involve making the pilots completely incapable of communication at all?

If it was a hijacking, I don't get why nobod's heard from the group responsible. Has there ever been a hijacking where it took this learn to hear demands, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop