Man Dragged off United Airlines/Flight Overbooked, April 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This has certainly lit up Twitter today with some very amusing memes and responses.

One series of serious comments I've seen there is by a woman now retired but with decades of experience in European airlines who said what United should have done is either up the offer in cash (not vouchers) until someone accepted it or, if that failed, to charter a light aircraft to get their employees to where they needed to be. She said this is what she has had to organise in the past.

There have been too many of these types of incidents with passengers being forcibly removed from aircraft. If I had been on that plane and witnessed this man being dragged down the aisle by security personnel, I would have been terrified :eek: Even if I hadn't been selected to deplane, I probably would have volunteered to get the he!! out of there. Flying is nerve wracking enough as it is without the added stress of a potentially turbulent situation onboard. :moo:

A few thoughts:

1. I've had terrible experiences each time I've flown with United. Most recently, they charged me for my plane ticket a few times. So they owed me $1200. This was not a hold on my account, it was some kind of glitch. In any case, I called for a refund, and they offered me the opportunity to fill out an application to get my own money back within 8 weeks. Let's just say I never filled it out, and I got my money in a week.

2. I don't care if the man was a prominent physician, a physician with a very troubled past, or someone who's unemployed and plays video games all day. If you pay for a ticket, you should be on the flight.

3. In the event that they need "volunteers" to take a later flight, that needs to be sorted BEFORE everyone is seated.

4. I'm still in shock over this. If I had a child on that plane I'd also be suing the airlines. What a disaster!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I agree, this should have been sorted out BEFORE everyone sat down for the flight.

If someone at the gate TOOK MY TICKET, then came to me AFTER I SAT DOWN and told me that they were "volunteering" me off the plane because they needed to sit a United employee in my seat, there is NO WAY in hell I am getting off that plane.

I just don't give a damn about his past (as it relates to this case).

This is assault and battery. And it's BS.

Airline staff claims he took a swing at security/police and he has a history of anger management issues, magical thinking and "poor decision making" these things are absolutely relevant. IKD who you are, if you are the slightest bit aggressive with police you are asking for trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airline staff claims he took a swing at security/police and he has a history of anger management issues, magical thinking and "poor decision making" these things are absolutely relevant. IKD who you are, if you are the slightest bit aggressive with police you are asking for trouble.

I'm sure the police touched him first, i.e., grabbed him to drag him off the plane, at this point only because a United employee needed the seat.

I am sure this guy was NOT looking for trouble.

I have to admit I haven't flown in a while. I avoid it these days since it takes a long time for security checks etc., and it's just not the same relaxed experience it was two plus decades ago.

That said, I've seen plenty of people give up seats quietly and without incident to allow airline workers etc. to board, and I've also seen shouting matches at the hatch over seating disputes. I've never seen anything like this ugly incident.

Last night on the local news (Fox 4) a reporter voiced his opinion about the matter (not sure if links are allowed), and I was surprised that he said the passenger was 'unruly' and deserved to be drug off the plane, obviously mixing opinion in with the news which is the norm these days. The Fox 4 News FB post concerning the incident is pretty entertaining...

My own opinion is if you're asked to leave, you should probably do so when officers arrive since you're taking a lot of risk in refusal. What I mean by that is that I think many (if not most) of the people in security/LE positions don't have the intelligence or temperament to exercise good judgement when enforcing law or corporate 'rules' or policy. I've rarely seen anyone give someone in that position of power 'attitude' and come away unscathed.

The passenger could have accidentally been killed from a blow to the head or similar in this case. The entire situation was handled as if the guy was being a physical threat to others, and it didn't appear to me he was. The lawyers are going to make some bucks on this one...

I've not seen video yet to back up that he took a swing. On top of that the videos show the passengers around horrified at the behavior of the police. I'm thinking if he did swing at a cop there would also be folks on there cheering to take him off as I've seen other videos of other passengers where the crowd is cheering when a belligerent passenger is onboard.

I'm not saying he wasn't I'm just saying that so far videos an 1st hand accounts other than the police aren't saying he took a swing. I'm open to that possibility though if you have more info.

Jeez for a buck - all they had to do was up the offer and someone else would have gotten off

I see this man owning United AIrlines in 18 years after it goes through the courts (kidding)

Not OK. moo

Their stock was down 1 BILLION this morning. It has since settled at down 600 million. Yeah, I think they are now realizing that upping the officer might have made a little more sense. Idiots.

Absolutely unacceptable.

We are not living in a police state. They do not have unlimited powers and neither, most certainly, do the airlines.

I would be livid if I paid for a seat, boarded the plane and was then told to get off. They don't know his circumstances, why he may have needed to be home, and he should not have been under any obligation to enlighten them.

Because they were in the wrong. Period. He was not being dragged off the plane for randomly creating a ruckus or threatening other passengers. United created the problem. Pure and simple.

I don't care about his background, temper or political persuasions. They are totally irrelevant to this event.

All they had to do was up the price they were willing to pay. Someone would have actually volunteered for enough money. If not, too bad. Your four employees miss a meeting. I am pretty sure that would pale in comparison to what this will do to the company.

It is going to cost them so much more than they ever would have had to shell out for an actual "volunteer".

According to the Daily Mail article his WIFE was traveling WITH him. You'd think if the pull was computer generated they would at MINIMUM keep families together IMO

I just don't give a damn about his past (as it relates to this case).

This is assault and battery. And it's BS.

I don't care about his past either and it doesn't matter to me what his job is. This is still a BS assault.

According to the Daily Mail article his WIFE was traveling WITH him. You'd think if the pull was computer generated they would at MINIMUM keep families together IMO

Do we even know who was next to be taken off?

4 people had to come off the plane and he was the 1st selected, I'm not sure I've seen reports of who the 4 on the list were.

Can you even imagine if your name was pulled and you had your two children flying with you? Geez. Maybe some random common sense along with computer generation.

On a plane you have to do what you are told and if you don't you're getting removed end of story. TSA don't know the difference between an arrogant person with anger issues and a terrorist.

I said to my colleagues this morning that some dirt would probably could out about this guy, any logical person would stand up and get moving once TSA got on the plane.

A lot of the anger directed at United is unjustified.

Ald. Mike Zalewski (23rd), chairman of the City Council’s Aviation Committee, said Sunday’s embarrassing incident at O’Hare Airport was so “poorly handled from A-to-Z” that the officers have lost their argument to bear arms.

Zalewski said the aviation officer who is now on a leave of absence had no business getting involved in the incident, let alone boarding the flight from Chicago to Louisville.

It should have been handled by United, O’Hare’s flagship carrier, in the boarding area, before passengers ever boarded the flight, the alderman said. And if the airline needed backup to handle a recalcitrant or unruly passenger, that should have been provided by Chicago Police officers, who were just minutes away when the viral video was taken.

Sources said the commissioner is so livid about the damage done to O’Hare Airport’s reputation as a travel hub, aviation security police may well be hard-pressed to hold on to their jobs.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/viral-video-kills-chance-aviation-security-officers-will-be-armed/

The doctor appeared really dazed and confused when he re-entered the plane with blood all over his face and it's on video. I'll guess that he had a concussion from the assault. United is going to pay BIGLY.

United should have kept raising the offer of money until someone voluntarily got off the plane.

That's the crux of the problem. They allowed them to BOARD. Four people should have been pulled BEFORE anyone was allowed to board. Officers should not have to come on a flight after all are seated and randomly remove people that have stowed their luggage and are ready for flight.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back