Mass Casualties -Train Crashes Into NJ Transit's Hoboken Station

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
attachment.php

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=CustomerNoticeTo&NoticeId=2472

Screenshot 2016-10-17 at 1.34.44 AM.png

~

CARIIS, based on the sequence of event, as known, my impression is that beyond stating what is known, at the time that it is known, it may very well turn out to be very difficult to come to definitive conclusion on why the wreck happened, though I certainly hope not. It means there will be no lack of consideration given to what could prevent such a wreck or others, I would think, and counter-measures, to the extent possible.

Gallagher also said the cab alerter - a device installed in the cab to promote locomotive engineer attentiveness - was operating properly

An alerter is a safety device required by Title 49 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 229.140 and is a device or system installed in the locomotive cab to promote continuous and active locomotive engineer attentiveness by monitoring select locomotive engineer-induced control activities. If fluctuation of a monitored locomotive engineer-induced control activity is not detected within a predetermined time, a sequence of audible and visual alarms is activated so as to progressively prompt a response by the locomotive engineer. Failure by the locomotive engineer to institute a change of state in a monitored control, or acknowledge the alerter alarm activity through a manual reset provision, results in a penalty brake application that brings the locomotive or train to a stop.

The conduct told the NTSB that he did not notice anything unusual about the speed of the train as it entered Hoboken station

38 seconds before the collision, throttle increased from idle to the #4 position while the train was traveling about 8 mph. The train speeded up and reached a maximum of about 21 mph while the break pipe pressure remained unchanged.

Just prior to the collision, the event recorder indicated that the throttle position went from #4 (BACK - me) to idle.

So does this mean we might be talking about like a "spring" mechanical failure? It just seem
This is the part that is mysterious to me. Passengers said the same thing- I do no tunderstand this!

How could people not be aware that their train is speeding up when already at the platform?

I just think I would certainly take note of that!! It is strange to me!

114 others were injured

the last fatal incident on the railroad occurred in 1996.[SUP][4]

The Comet V railcar is the fifth generation of the Comet railcar series. Produced by the manufacturer Alstom, the Comet V is a much different type of car compared to previous versions of the series. The Comet V began servicing New York metropolitan area commuter rail operatorsNew Jersey Transit and Metro-North in April 2002
800px-CometV_6068.JPG

Each trailer car has six doors for entering and exiting (like the Comet IV, the cab cars have five doors); the doors at the ends of the car are single-leaf with trap doors for low-level boarding while those in the middle are double-leaf but lack steps and trapdoors, only opening at high platform stations. The length of the cars at 85 feet

109 (cab)
111 (with restroom)
117 (without restroom)

failures in its door-opening mechanism. On the Comet V, Alstom added a new button to open vestibule doors that lead to the end doors labeled with "push to open."[SUP][3][/SUP] This led to confusion among passengers about how to open the doors; eventually many resorted to opening them manually.[SUP][3][/SUP] The Comet V's software glitches came to light as doors failed to open or malfunctioned.[SUP][4][/SUP]
[/SUP]
109 (cab)
111 (with restroom)
117 (without restroom)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_V

treated 66 people for injuries from the crash

attorney Fabiola Bittar de Kroon

A similar accident occurred at the same station in December 1985, injuring 54 people. The 1985 crash was said to have been caused by a lubricant that had been applied to the tracks to test train wheels

Event recorder speeds during the final seconds were consistent with train speed estimates obtained from the NTSB’s preliminary analysis of images from the forward-facing video camera.

Investigators inspected the track structure, signal system, and mechanical equipment; collected and are examining records for operations, signal systems, mechanical equipment, and track and engineering; and interviewed train crewmembers, train dispatchers, and other NJT personnel.

nvestigators tested the signal and train control system; the accident route was duplicated with signal alignment and functioned as designed.

Accident damage to the cab car’s air brake system was minor and repaired for testing. A friction brake test was completed using the rear locomotive to apply the brakes. The brakes functioned as designed

An NTSB drone was used to capture 109 aerial images of the accident scene

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/DCA16MR011_prelim.aspx

I did not realize that this pic is the platform- its amazing others were not hurt

800px-NJT_6036_along_platform_after_Hoboken_crash%2C_October_2016.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...latform_after_Hoboken_crash,_October_2016.jpg

This is the one on the back

800px-GP40PH-2_4111_Hoboken_Terminal.jpg

Front car nice looking!!

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/DCA16MR011_prelim.aspx
800px-ALP-45DP_4504_On_Head_of_Train_1009%2C_at_Hoboken_Terminal_6-1-12.jpg

Trying to find pics of the cab I am looking for the darn throttle!!

Comet V:

maxresdefault.jpg

OK, this one, below is not a comet -- but what strurk me that it to had a WHITE lever, so I suppose in "trainland" white is throttle. Look at the pic of the comet, the white lever on the left side, I do not know for sure but I would think that is throttle.

. I can visualize like a temp pass out hits throttle forward, then arm or something retreats which would take the throttle back to idle>>

8730868506_64e0e1bf5c_b.jpg

All Google images

So here is a white lever on the Comet. Hit me as not ideal placement - a hit of an elbow. I think they have notchs tho ?
ALP_11.jpg

[video=youtube;eMfXUD6SiLE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMfXUD6SiLE[/video]

The end is really interesting

[FONT=&quot]Sleep apnea also went undiagnosed in the engineer of a commuter train that sped into a 30 mph curve at 82 mph and crashed in New York City in 2013, killing four people. He had fallen asleep at the controls. A deadly freight train crash in 2011 in Iowa and another freight crash in 2013 Missouri have also been attributed to sleep apnea.

[/FONT]
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/11/after_train_crash_transit_regulators_targeting_sle.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back