Maui Hawaii Wildfires, 97 dead, Aug 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was expecting to see more trees, thinking that the wildfire was caused by a forest fire, but that doesn't appear to be the case from the photos. I wonder what might have caused this horrific fire.
I read a comment that referred to brush fires, rather than forest fires.

The problem with Lahaina was it was packed tight with old wooden buildings. Picturesque, but highly flammable.

The wind from the hurricane blew from the east, towards the ocean, rather than, more typically, away. So the wind drove the fire straight into town.

Meanwhile, it seems many people tried to escape via the highway that passes through downtown. Perhaps the bypass around town was blocked or seemed more dangerous because of the bush fires.

But as the fire was blown into the town, I bet traffic quickly came to a standstill as some people panicked and abandoned their cars, and all those people were trapped downtown, the whole place going up in flames at once, the wind blowing the fire towards the water.

Truly horrific.

JMO

I was expecting to see more trees, thinking that the wildfire was caused by a forest fire, but that doesn't appear to be the case from the photos. I wonder what might have caused this horrific fire.
I heard early on that it may have been lightning, but nobody really knows for sure. That people had to escape by jumping into the ocean was heartbreaking, although they wouldn't have boiled to death like they might have in a swimming pool.

I also learned that Lahaina and that area of the island is technically a desert, with about 15 inches of rain every years. I had no idea that deserts existed in Hawaii.

Enjoy this wonderful song, named after this region.

This fire brings up hard memories for me. Almost three years ago on Sept. 8, 2020 a fire started in a grassy field close to the edge of my town in Southern Oregon near Almeda Street. It is called the ”Almeda Fire” for googlers. Strong wind from the east pushed it west for 10-12 miles through two small towns, burning about 2300 structures, leaving many homeless. Among our friends at least ten homes were lost. The photos of the devastation look like Lahaina’s...a war zone. A friend’s car was practically melted in her driveway. The emergency notification system failed. Firefighters were occupied at nearby wildfires, so there was not enough help and no way to stop this fire. Water ran out. A number of mobile home parks burned to the ground, leaving no affordable housing. Both the New York Times and the Washington Post covered the fire in depth, so it was a big deal and a huge tragedy for this area.

But the good news is that the lost homes and businesses are being rebuilt In the towns of Talent and Phoenix. Like the mythical bird Phoenix they are rising from the ashes. It will take some years to undo the damage caused, but it will happen. Lahaina will come back too. It will never be the same because of the loss of their history, but if they plan their recovery carefully they can rise from the ashes and recapture some of the Lahaina vibe. It seems impossible now as it did for us, but it wIll happen. My heart goes out to everyone on Maui as they grieve their losses.
JMO

Hawaii emergency management records show no indication that warning sirens sounded before people ran for their lives from wildfires on Maui that killed at least 55 people and wiped out a historic town. Instead, officials sent alerts to mobile phones, televisions and radio stations — but widespread power and cellular outages may have limited their reach.

The wildfires are the state’s deadliest natural disaster since a 1960 tsunami that killed 61 people.

Gov. Josh Green warned that the death toll would likely rise as search and rescue operations continue. Cadaver-sniffing dogs were brought in Friday to assist

The islands are half dry grassland and half wet tropical regions.

The west side of Maui, The Big Island, Lanai, and Moloka'i are very dry. Scrub grass with thorny brush, rough lava. I believe there are a few small cacti in the south west part of Maui. The eastern half of the islands are in dramatic contrast with plenty of rain with forests and streams.

The mountain valleys funnel wind down seaward and the valleys on that west side of Maui are where the winds associated with Hurricane Dora, far to the south, were forcing air into the plain that Lanhaina and the region sat on.

The Big Island has a much larger dry side with rough young lava and the most recent "new" volcano, Hualali, which last had somce activity in 1929.

The major airport on The Big Island, Kona is built on a lava flow from Hualali. It's a surprise to fly into it if you've never been there, expecting lush tropical scenes. It's my favorite Hawaiian airport.

Raging wildfires fanned by hurricane winds have devastated the historic town of Lahaina on Hawaii's island of Maui.

Brian Schatz, a US senator from the state, said on social media that Lahaina is "almost totally burnt to the ground".

At least six people were killed in Maui County, officials said on Wednesday.

Maui's hospital system has been overwhelmed with burn patients and people suffering from smoke inhalation.

"Firefighters are still trying to get the fires under control, and our first responders are in search and rescue mode," Mr Schatz said.

There were reports early on Wednesday that some people jumped into the ocean to escape the fast-moving flames. The US Coast Guard said it rescued at least a dozen people from the water.
I was just hearing updates this morning... they still have no accounting for the locations of approximately 1,000 people. How terrible.

Sadly, I think we need to brace ourselves for the death toll. :(

The speed of the flames is terrifying to imagine.

jmo
You've got that right about bracing ourselves for the final death toll. :( I just saw this headline:

The current death toll of 55 in Maui wildfires is only the number of those found outside of buildings, Maui Mayor Richard T. Bissen Jr. told NBC Friday.

He (Lahaina resident and helper) added, “We’ve still got dead bodies floating on the seawall. They’ve been sitting there since last night. We’ve been pulling people out since last night, trying to save peoples’ lives.”

I'm heartsick for these people, and the community.
Do you have a URL for your last quote? I think you mistakenly reposted the link from the quote above this one as they are the same, and the page doesn't have the word seawall in it. I'd like to read it so will post it here for others if I can find it. I'm thinking others might want to read that article too. :)

ETA: Found it. A local from one of the areas hardest hit by Maui wildfires says there are 'dead bodies floating on the seawall'

It's all so very sad. Sad and scary for the residents. :(

A large banyan tree in the heart of Old Lahaina that was badly scorched by the fires that ransacked Maui appears to have emerged from the flames still standing.

In the aftermath of the devastating fires, residents are looking to the tree as a symbol of the devastation — and hope.

I've been going through all my pictures of my many visits to my brother there, starting when my daughter was less than a year old (now 33). They've had me, and my daughter in tears. Such good memories. My brother, now on Big Island was planning to move back...Maui is so special. I still can't believe it. All those people who have lost everything....

A large banyan tree in the heart of Old Lahaina that was badly scorched by the fires that ransacked Maui appears to have emerged from the flames still standing.

In the aftermath of the devastating fires, residents are looking to the tree as a symbol of the devastation — and hope.

I saw this, that Banyan tree is practically sacred, such a beautiful spot to visit. I so hope it does survive.

Video at ground level. Clip138K1,498

Last edited:
Stories of survivors in the article linked below. One small snippet of such story:

Then, the onboard radio crackled: The Coast Guard needed help finding wildfire survivors who’d had no choice but to jump into the ocean after getting boxed out by flames.

Another passing boat lent them gas, Lovitt said. The women got back to the skiff, refueled and headed out into the night.

Heavy smoke and the dark night meant the makeshift rescue crew could hardly see. But they managed to find a 5-year-old and a 6-year-old, plucking them from the water and handing them over to the Coast Guard, Lovitt said.

It's nice to hear that at least some that jumped into the ocean were rescued and survived. :) Many others weren't so lucky. :(

Such a sad situation. :( I will be donating money once the company I retired from notifies me that they are offering 100% match of my donation. Always best to wait for my money to be worth 2X whenever I feel compelled to donate. :) I wish they'd hurry though, I'm getting antsy.

"Every single home in Lahaina is gone," he said. "It's apocalyptic."

dbm ...video already posted.

To think that 2 days ago, everything was normal. People in their homes, people walking on Front St., shops and cafes open, people milling about around the harbor.

How does one come to terms with this utter destruction?

Last edited:

It doesn’t look like there is a thread for this yet.

What is crazy is that the Westboro church is supposed to be there this week to protest in Hawaii!

Aug. 6 (UPI) -- The controversial Westboro Baptist Church, based in Kansas, claimed that Hawaii will be "utterly destroyed" on Sunday.

It was not immediately clear why the church would travel from Topeka to Maui to protest the three congregations or how the church believes Hawaii will be destroyed. UPI has reached out to the churches for comment
It's absolutely heartbreaking. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back