May 24: Another Tornado Outbreak Is Expected Today and Tomorrow

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Lengthy newsok.com article regarding this afternoon's casualties

Oklahoma tornadoes: At least 4 dead, 60 injured
Four people are confirmed dead and 60 injured after a string of tornadoes hit the state Tuesday.

Cherokee Ballard, spokeswoman for the state medical examiner, said four people died in Canadian County. She said three to five more people might have died in Logan County, but those reports were unconfirmed.

Witnesses reported three of the dead were on Interstate 40 at mile marker 113 where cars were blown off the highway. Four cars were torn apart by the twister, and the highway was littered with car parts.
---
much more at link above

This has been a bad week in that area. I have more family members there, in Edmond, Stillwater and Norman, so it will be another restless evening.

4 of my 8 uncles are in construction, they now install storm shelters in their new builds and also add to retro fit older houses. http://www.gohausner.com/

Given the storm paths through this area, it might be a good idea to build these on larger scale for communities.

As for the guy wanting to know where to go to 'see' a tornado; those of us who have lived in these parts of the country know that it is a thrill to watch, to a certain point, but then you have to take cover. If you are that curious go buy/rent the movie Twister; it was partially shot in Wakita, OK.

I am a trained severe weather spotter, and the first year I took the class was the year after the movie Twister came out, and the class opened with clips from that movie. As soon as that ended, the instructor says, "don't do anything you just saw." LOL! He musta figured we all joined because of the movie, and it's true, most of the movie was way too dangerous for real life.

But watching them in an open field from a safe distance wouldn't be too bad, I suppose. Watching them up close is just beyond stupid (something else they taught us repeatedly.)

I am a trained severe weather spotter, and the first year I took the class was the year after the movie Twister came out, and the class opened with clips from that movie. As soon as that ended, the instructor says, "don't do anything you just saw." LOL! He musta figured we all joined because of the movie, and it's true, most of the movie was way too dangerous for real life.

But watching them in an open field from a safe distance wouldn't be too bad, I suppose. Watching them up close is just beyond stupid (something else they taught us repeatedly.)

When I was still reporting, I had all of our local weather spotters take my cell number so I could go out with them during a storm and write about it, but the schedules never worked out. I was always stuck in a dumb meeting.

So am I, DK, as is my husband. I am home alone with our Goldens keeping me company. There is one storm coming this way that should hit in about 30 minutes; there is a larger, more powerful storm behind that one. I am in far NE Dallas county.

I am watching NBC Channel 5 out of Ft. Worth. People on the freeway are stopping under overpasses, putting everyone behind them at risk!

My sis lives in Edmond and works at night at a hospital in OKC. Bet she's not so nanchalante tonite as she was yesterday morning when I spoke to her. She said she's going to go to work as usual, like the threats that this week about more severe weather, was really no big deal! :eek:

Fortunately, in the past, both times her home has been hit she was at work. Just roof damage and lots of downed trees.

Prayers and thoughts to all those effected!

fran

Wow DK, you are truely a person of many interests. Do you belong to any of the hurricane forums? I used to, was big into forcasting/tracking storms.

So am I, DK, as is my husband. I am home alone with our Goldens keeping me company. There is one storm coming this way that should hit in about 30 minutes; there is a larger, more powerful storm behind that one. I am in far NE Dallas county.

I am watching NBC Channel 5 out of Ft. Worth. People on the freeway are stopping under overpasses, putting everyone behind them at risk!

Ever since the national media showed that dramatic footage several years ago of a family climbing under an overpass and surviving a tornado direct hit, that's where everybody now goes. What they don't know, is that that was a freak occurrence or a miracle, because going higher is the most dangerous thing you can do, and as a result, numerous people have been killed taking shelter under overpasses.

OK, this hail is verrry loud. Listening for sirens as TV is out.

My Mom loved the movie because she was familiar with the town, my gparents[gfather]were a minister/wife duo and Wakita was a town they would visit in. Movie was good, a remake now would have better graphics. Watch out for the cow. ;)

May 4th 2003 I watched a tornado from my front porch in the Northland section of KCMO and then we got into our shelter. Ten minutes later our laundry room had a hole in it and there was roof damage to the rest of the house. My brother was visiting from the East Coast, never seen a tornado, and the sight of a 1/2 mile wide funnel was something he never forgot.

Wow DK, you are truely a person of many interests. Do you belong to any of the hurricane forums? I used to, was big into forcasting/tracking storms.

Thanks! No I have not joined any of those. But I am impressed how accurate the Severe Weather Prediction Center in Norman, OK, is in forecasting outbreaks sometimes a day in advance like they did this one.

OK, this hail is verrry loud. Listening for sirens as TV is out.

Power is still on here and I'm still watching Ch. 5. Possible tornado reported at Love Field; awaiting confirmation.

Lots of thunder and lightning here. My boyscout is on his way home in this mess, too.

Power is still on here and I'm still watching Ch. 5. Possible tornado reported at Love Field; awaiting confirmation.

Lots of thunder and lightning here. My boyscout is on his way home in this mess, too.

I'm close to Love. Hope your scout makes it home OK.

LOL I think DK would be a wonderful 'catch' for some gal. Ya Ya

Thanks! No I have not joined any of those. But I am impressed how accurate the Severe Weather Prediction Center in Norman, OK, is so accurate in forecasting outbreaks sometimes a day in advance like they did this one.

Lot of meteorologists go on there and sometimes its really entertaining because some have big egos it is gets a little wild lol.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back