MD MD - Anne Furst, 83, & Helen Larkin, 56, Aberdeen, 17 Oct 1989

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
All - again I want to share my thanks. I continue to be overwhelmed by the support, questions and interest in my family's case. I will be leaving for Japan tomorrow morning so I may be out of contact for a few days (loooong trip). Please do not take this as a lack of interest. I want to keep this moving. This is amazing. I will continue to respond to questions tonight and early tomorrow but may not be available again until Sunday.

From the bottom of my heart - thank you!

I believe they were/are into heavy drugs. If I recall, the one who committed suicide was in prison at some point. The other brother still lives at his parent's house. That's how I was able to call him. I'm not sure about a polygraph. LE was aware of them but I don't know how much they were investigated.

A quick question for you about back then.

Those two brothers.
When you say druggies we are not talking some mild drugs such as weed.
We are talking heavy stuff yes. Addicting stuff either through prescription or street sales such as cocaine etc.?

Those two brothers back then.
They never took a polygraph test did they??

And the one still living.
Is he living in the same house as back then?
I am wondering if the house they were living in belong to the parents.
though that question is not as important as the first two.

I believe they were/are into heavy drugs. If I recall, the one who committed suicide was in prison at some point. The other brother still lives at his parent's house. That's how I was able to call him. I'm not sure about a polygraph. LE was aware of them but I don't know how much they were investigated.

Thank-you for the quick answer.

I would be SHOCKED if it was discovered they did in fact take one.
Because I just don't believe for one reason or the other they did.

Don't believe an alibi.

You should find out.
And let a LEO go and ask the one still here
to volunteer to take one.

I really recommend this be done.
A LEO only needs to ask once.

I will give you my theory now.
Not in detail, but just the main points.
And remember it is only a theory. If it had already been determined to not be valid, then we will continue with another theory.

There is a chance one/two were inside the home waiting for your
gm/m to return home.

They may have gain entry through the sliding glass door and got in and waited for them.

At some point when the women returned the killers came out and took your mother from the living room area where the TV was on, and took her to the back bedroom. They did this so to be sure no one would see them inside from the street if someone was walking or driving by or no neighbors across the street would see.

The motive here was money.
The killers thought because of the death of the gf there may have been money stored inside the home. Money collected from life insurance or other polices he may have had.

They wanted the money. And try to get your mother to tell them where the money was at. At some point your gm heard a commotion going on and was getting out of bed to see what was happening.

Because of that she was murdered first, or at least was attacked first because
she got out of bed to investigate.

I do-not know if there was any money stored in the house but that is what they were after, and before leaving with or without the money.

They murdered both women. Probably due to not getting any money they thought was inside the home, and became in raged. They may have known your GM, and she could have identify them quickly, that is why they started asking your mother first about the whereabouts of the money inside the house they thought was there.

THE ABOVE ALL MOO AND SPECULATION ON MY PART.
NOTHING POSTED AS BEING FACT UNLESS OTHERWISE KNOW TO BE.

And remember it is only a theory. If it had already been determined to not be valid, then we will continue with another theory.

gm/m to return home.

They may have gain entry through the sliding glass door and got in and waited for them.

At some point when the women returned the killers came out and took your mother from the living room area where the TV was on, and took her to the back bedroom. They did this so to be sure no one would see them inside from the street if someone was walking or driving by or no neighbors across the street would see.

The killers thought because of the death of the gf there may have been money stored inside the home. Money collected from life insurance or other polices he may have had.

They wanted the money. And try to get your mother to tell them where the money was at. At some point your gm heard a commotion going on and was getting out of bed to see what was happening.

I do-not know if there was any money stored in the house but that is what they were after, and before leaving with or without the money.

They murdered both women. Probably due to not getting any money they thought was inside the home, and became in raged. They may have known your GM, and she could have identify them quickly, that is why they started asking your mother first about the whereabouts of the money inside the house they thought was there.

I just wanted to make a quick comment here, and others can maybe disagree but doesn't it take a long while to get funds from an insurance policy? I know my husband's mother took the better part of a year (come to think of it, it might have been longer) to obtain funds from his stepfather's insurance policy after he died a few years back. Now given that situation was a suicide (and the policy was very old so there was no suicide clause or whatever you call it in it) but still, I thought even a straight forward policy would still take a good bit of time. So thinking that they would have stacks of insurance policy cash hanging around the house the night of the funeral sounds very presumptuous on the intruder's part.

That being said, if this was a couple people who were not privy to insurance matters (or perhaps I'm the one who isn't privvy), then they very well might have made such an assumption. But that's quite a risk to take to just assume that cash will be there then. Of course maybe they were just waiting for any old money or valuables, assuming that no one would be home due to the service earlier that day. But then why did they wait until so late in the day to go inside when I would assume that the funeral service time would probably have been posted somewhere so they probably could have estimated better if their purpose was just to rob a grieving family?

If I was in there shoes (DISCLAIMER: I would NEVER do something like this) and I was just out to steal money I think I would wait until shortly after the service started then go in and get out fast.

I definitely think it is an interesting theory, MrTT so I'm not trying to sound difficult but was just kind of thinking out loud (well, out loud in text! hehe). Maybe someone who knows more about insurance policies and payout times than me can chime in. :)

Yes very inreresting theory. But with nothing stolen I am still not buying it.

gm/m to return home.

What do you mean a Leo only has to ask once??

Thank-you for the quick answer.

I would be SHOCKED if it was discovered they did in fact take one.
Because I just don't believe for one reason or the other they did.

Don't believe an alibi.

You should find out.
And let a LEO go and ask the one still here
to volunteer to take one.

I really recommend this be done.
A LEO only needs to ask once.

Good theory but wouldn't they have seen the brick thrown thru when the arrived home?

gm/m to return home.

Maxaroad, Was your grandfather's address published in the newspaper obituary?

Many papers back then printed the entire address. Most quick doing that, because criminals would burglarize the homes while the family were at the wake or funeral.

Was the brick from your grandparents yard?

It almost seems like the perp or perps knew they were home and targeted them for some reason. Someone pointed out in another post that there were probably lights on and a car in the driveway. Sounds from the TV could probably have been heard from outside too. The perps took a big chance that there wasn't a burley man with a gun in the house. Makes me think they knew who lived there.

I'm assuming the police checked for fingerprints, especially on the doorknobs and the brick. If the police still have the brick, they should examine it again with newer techniques. Perhaps there are skin cells on the brick, which may reveal DNA. It is a long shot, but worth a try.

Maxa, I am so sorry this happened to your family, and that you had to see the people you loved murdered. It must have been horrifying.

It's hard to segway into questions from there, but I have some questions hopefully you can answer before you leave. Was the house south of I-95 or north of it. If you stood in your grandparent's front yard what could you see?

Could you walk us around the side yards and back, and tell us if neighbors were visible on all sides or if there was a wooded area somewhere?

Hi - as far as the obituary, I have to guess it was published in a local paper. The lights were on and my mom's car was in the driveway. I know some folks think the perp was already in the house but if that were the case, my mom and grandmom would have seen the broken glass from the sliding glass door. Unless they got in otherwise and threw the brick after. No one seems to know where the brick is right now.

It almost seems like the perp or perps knew they were home and targeted them for some reason. Someone pointed out in another post that there were probably lights on and a car in the driveway. Sounds from the TV could probably have been heard from outside too. The perps took a big chance that there wasn't a burley man with a gun in the house. Makes me think they knew who lived there.

I'm assuming the police checked for fingerprints, especially on the doorknobs and the brick. If the police still have the brick, they should examine it again with newer techniques. Perhaps there are skin cells on the brick, which may reveal DNA. It is a long shot, but worth a try.

Was the TV on when you arrived at the house? What lights were on? Was the kitchen light on?

Hi - as far as the obituary, I have to guess it was published in a local paper. The lights were on and my mom's car was in the driveway. I know some folks think the perp was already in the house but if that were the case, my mom and grandmom would have seen the broken glass from the sliding glass door. Unless they got in otherwise and threw the brick after. No one seems to know where the brick is right now.

Hi Maxaroad!

Can you tell me if there were other relatives living in the same neighborhood at the time?

I am interested particularly in Matthews Ave. TIA.

Ask anything you want!!

With respect to location of I-95, not sure. I know if you get off the exit where the Red Roof Inn is, they were close to that. Don't know if that helps.

If you stood in the front yard, there was a large window in the front but it just looks like a normal home. I had a picture of the house but can't find it now. Neighbors were absolutely visible on all sides. When we found my mom and grandmom, we were screaming and the next door neighbors came out right away.

Maxa, I am so sorry this happened to your family, and that you had to see the people you loved murdered. It must have been horrifying.

It's hard to segway into questions from there, but I have some questions hopefully you can answer before you leave. Was the house south of I-95 or north of it. If you stood in your grandparent's front yard what could you see?

Could you walk us around the side yards and back, and tell us if neighbors were visible on all sides or if there was a wooded area somewhere?

Not in the same neighborhood but close by. What is particular about Matthews Ave?

Hi Maxaroad!

Can you tell me if there were other relatives living in the same neighborhood at the time?

I am interested particularly in Matthews Ave. TIA.

Unfortunately, I don't recall. We moved very quickly to the murder scene and then got out of the house. My recollection of those brief minutes really is only of finding them, my brother calling 911 and going outside screaming.

Was the TV on when you arrived at the house? What lights were on? Was the kitchen light on?

Not in the same neighborhood but close by. What is particular about Matthews Ave?

I was wondering about any other relatives local to that area who would have attended your grandfathers wake or funeral?

Unfortunately, I don't recall. We moved very quickly to the murder scene and then got out of the house. My recollection of those brief minutes really is only of finding them, my brother calling 911 and going outside screaming.

I know that sorrow, calling 911 and screaming. It's certainly no club anyone wants to join. I sure hope we can help you get some answers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ewreckk35
Back