MD - Freddie Gray dies in police custody #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
States With Highest Death Rates
The following states recorded the highest combined death rates per 50,000 law enforcement and corrections officers over the five-year period:
http://www.governing.com/gov-data/law-enforcement-fatality-rates-by-state.html ...[/QUOTE] bbm sbm

I'm confused about ^ governing.com link in most brutal police brutality info. Jan 2013 article discusses stats re LEOs who were killed, not ppl killed by LEOs. If I'm misinterpreting, tell me, so I can go stand in corner. ;):gaah:

From the governing.com link:
"States Experience Disparity in Police Fatality Rates as Agencies Target Safety"
"....Across the country, the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund counted 127 fallen police and corrections officers in 2012...."
"Regardless of where an officer patrols, an element of danger exists. Traffic accidents, which claimed the lives of 50 officers last year, is typically the leading cause of deaths. Shooting fatalities often stem from traffic stops, domestic disturbance calls or ambush-style attacks.
..." bbm
[map of states]
"---The NLEOMF counts fatalities for law enforcement and corrections officers. Law enforcement officers account for the vast majority of deaths. Per capita death rates for only police are, therefore, much higher without corrections employees included because corrections employees account for about the same number of officers in many states.
-- Very few police assaults and injuries result in deaths. Other measures should be considered as well when assessing overall officer safety
." bbm
http://www.governing.com/blogs/by-the-numbers/police-law-enforcement-safety-death-rates-by-state.html#map.

Murder rate in Baltimore was already extremely high. For instance, last year stats were available [2013 or 2014] NYC pop. 8.5 million had 333 murders. Baltimore pop. 600,000 had 233.

The sad part is, many of the murders in Baltimore are probably condensed to a small area of Baltimore. Just as the majority of NYC murders are set in a condensed area. Before Guliani implemented stop and frisk there were roughly 2000 murders a year. Now that DiBlasio decreased stop and frisk the murder rate has gone up 20% and shootings up 18%.

Mayor's message - LE stop the violence and apprehend suspects...or stand down, what's the priority/goal? Give the citizens mixed messages and you will get mixed results. I am curious as to why the DOJ is involved in case and to what extent? Very interesting and we still have no new facts about this case. When is PC hearing? Jmo/

5/27 is the hearing - if you're asking about the preliminary hearing.

the t/heads last nite said it was a mistake for mm not to respond to inquiries/clarifications - but rather iirc she said she wasn't gonna try this case in the media. the t/heads said she's taking the wrong approach as she may be fueling a bigger explosion down the line/this summer.

just wondering - does mm have to respond to the 2 defense attorneys who want to see the knife prior to 5/27?

The Christian Science Monitor online has an interesting article today on how knife laws disproportionately affect minorities. It notes the "good faith" standard the SC set long ago that a police officer, even if it turns out later s/he was wrong (for instance, about the illegality of a FG's knife), s/he should not be held criminally liable (or the case tossed out) later on for being mistaken. Then came this about a SC ruling in December:

"In Heien v. North Carolina, the Supreme Court ruled in December that US cops are allowed to make such “reasonable mistakes of the law.” A motorist was mistakenly pulled over for having one brake light out, even though that was legal under state law. A search of the car found cocaine. The motorist claimed police had no reason to pull him over. The Supreme Court sided with the officer. “The question here is whether reasonable suspicion can rest on a mistaken understanding of the scope of a legal prohibition,” Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the court in the 8-to-1 decision. “We hold that it can.”

I haven't seen anywhere that Mosby has to make the knife available before the hearing, but imo she created a huge, unnecessary problem for herself by her over-the-top charging speech. Way too many "I" and "my" in the beginning and end (although I noticed she threw in a "we are bringing" re the charges), calling for "justice for Freddie Gray" - not simply "justice", going through her bio of LE in her family apparently anticipating outside reaction to her criminally charging the driver with intentionally killing FG and 3 officers with false imprisonment because "the knife was legal", etc.

Her "I refuse to try this case in the media" now is ridiculous imo, given her diva performance last week with cameras rolling.

The Christian Science Monitor online has an interesting article today on how knife laws disproportionately affect minorities. It notes the "good faith" standard the SC set long ago that a police officer, even if it turns out later s/he was wrong (for instance, about the illegality of a FG's knife), s/he should not be held criminally liable (or the case tossed out) later on for being mistaken. Then came this about a SC ruling in December:

"In Heien v. North Carolina, the Supreme Court ruled in December that US cops are allowed to make such “reasonable mistakes of the law.” A motorist was mistakenly pulled over for having one brake light out, even though that was legal under state law. A search of the car found cocaine. The motorist claimed police had no reason to pull him over. The Supreme Court sided with the officer. “The question here is whether reasonable suspicion can rest on a mistaken understanding of the scope of a legal prohibition,” Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the court in the 8-to-1 decision. “We hold that it can.”

I think this is a link to the CS article if anyone would like to read it.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justic...nife-says-about-police-power-in-America-video

5/27 is the hearing -....
just wondering - does mm have to respond to the 2 defense attorneys who want to see the knife prior to 5/27?
sbm

Seems like -
- a smart move by def. team to request knife early on.
- numerous crim chg's would be dismissed if knife is legal.

Question: who should have custody & control of knife now?
Still in LE evd storage? Or state atty's ofc?
Ea time a person removes knife from evd bag/container, protocol requires him
to initial & date it, for both removal from and return to container, right?
Wondering what would happen if knife were to 'go missing' now.

IDK if State has to either file response in court by a certain pre-hearing date or
produce knife to def.Or if State can answer at the hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member