MD - Freddie Gray dies in police custody #3 *INDICTMENT*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
well - the mayor agrees with their lack of proper equipment (like shields that broke during the rock throwing)

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said Wednesday that Baltimore police will be equipped with new riot gear before verdicts in the Freddie Gray trials come down.

The pledge was made after Rawlings-Blake acknowledged that officers did not have enough shields or body armor during the April riots, when about 160 officers were injured.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/freddie-gray/bs-md-ci-mayor-riot-gear-20150701-story.html

BBM this comment is striking in that she's already anticipating riots...could it be bc she knows how bogus the charges are?

Hmmmm, judge shopping by this prosecutor, she did say "by any and all means necessary," did she not?

Police accused in Freddie Gray's death say they gave statements under duress

Two of the officers said that when investigators asked them to provide statements about the circumstances surrounding Gray's arrest, they were led to believe they were doing so as witnesses — not as suspects.

Another said she provided a statement without being advised of her Miranda rights, then was ordered to return five days later to be read her rights and provide another statement.

"Because the defendants subjectively felt that any refusal to cooperate in the investigation would result in their termination, and such belief was objectively reasonable, and because they were asked to waive their Fifth Amendment rights, their statements" should be suppressed, attorneys for Rice and Porter argued in a motion.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...rate-trial-motions-20150717-story.html#page=1

Police accused in Freddie Gray's death say they gave statements under duress

Two of the officers said that when investigators asked them to provide statements about the circumstances surrounding Gray's arrest, they were led to believe they were doing so as witnesses — not as suspects.

Another said she provided a statement without being advised of her Miranda rights, then was ordered to return five days later to be read her rights and provide another statement.

"Because the defendants subjectively felt that any refusal to cooperate in the investigation would result in their termination, and such belief was objectively reasonable, and because they were asked to waive their Fifth Amendment rights, their statements" should be suppressed, attorneys for Rice and Porter argued in a motion.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...rate-trial-motions-20150717-story.html#page=1

Interesting. What did they say, that they now want suppressed?

:drumroll: missed the most important part - it's in the top cliff notes in baltimore sun's article:

In search warrant affidavit, authorities wrote that Freddie Gray had an illegal knife

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...eddie-gray-judge-shopping-20150713-story.html

The most important part of what?

The issue here isn't about whether the knife was illegal or not. Guilty or innocent, anyone who is arrested has the same right to safe custody.

The LE here are not being prosecuted for false arrest. Or are you suggesting that if his knife was illegal, the LE who arrested him could do whatever they wanted to punish him? I hope not.

The most important part of what?

The issue here isn't about whether the knife was illegal or not. Guilty or innocent, anyone who is arrested has the same right to safe custody.

The LE here are not being prosecuted for false arrest. Or are you suggesting that if his knife was illegal, the LE who arrested him could do whatever they wanted to punish him? I hope not.

C'mon, that's not what they're suggesting.

The legality of the knife is significant b/c when MM held her press conference she asserted that FG was falsely arrested b/c the knife was legal. Many of the charges were based on the "fact" that the knife was legal. Days of coverage were dedicated to the legality of the knife, and the differences in Baltimore City law versus MD law. We even got to see Anderson Cooper (among others) wielding various knives while explaining the difference between switchblades and spring assisted blades.

Talk about adding fuel to the fire. A legal knife meant he should have never been arrested in the first place.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOO

C'mon, that's not what they're suggesting.

The legality of the knife is significant b/c when MM held her press conference she asserted that FG was falsely arrested b/c the knife was legal. Many of the charges were based on the "fact" that the knife was legal. Days of coverage were dedicated to the legality of the knife, and the differences in Baltimore City law versus MD law. We even got to see Anderson Cooper (among others) wielding various knives while explaining the difference between switchblades and spring assisted blades.

Talk about adding fuel to the fire. A legal knife meant he should have never been arrested in the first place.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOO

thanks bbaby00. i'd just like to add that honesty, credibility and integrity are key factors for a district atty. this judge shopping claim does not reflect very well on her office, if true. add to this all the other documented errors she's made (the links are in the prior pages should anyone like to review).

the judge is sitting on so many motions - wonder when they'll be argued?

and to answer montjoy's question - did freddie gray cause/contribute to his death? that's the question i'd like to see answered.

edit - change of venue article published yesterday (nothing new) http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...ray-motions-battle-20150719-story.html#page=1

[h=1]Judge denies plea to block release of evidence in Gray case[/h]A Baltimore judge won’t prohibit defense attorneys from releasing evidence in the high-profile Freddie Gray case.
http://wtop.com/baltimore/2015/07/judge-denies-plea-to-block-release-of-evidence-in-gray-case/

Slap.....from the ruling....

“The Court notes that discovery was turned over on June 26, 2015, and as of this date, the court is not aware of the dissemination of any discovery information by Defendants,” Williams wrote. “The only discovery item that has become public as of this date has been information from the autopsy report, and at the time of the alleged disclosure, the report had not been turned over to Defendants.”

It's funny, yet it isn't. What makes one giggle is that given MMs missteps there are many questioning her law degree.

What's not funny however is the stage that she has set. It's likely many of these charges won't stick, resulting in either acquittals or very reduced convictions. Then what? She has defined "justice" as these 6 cops being held responsible for FGs death, and when that doesn't happen many are going to be very, very angry. She got so far ahead of herself, that the already angry residents won't listen to why they weren't found guilty of murder. They've been told justice will be served, bc it is "their time." I guess she'll try to spin it as she's still their hero, it's the system that failed. SMH

"Attorneys for six Baltimore police officers charged in the arrest and death of Freddie Gray said in a court filing Thursday that prosecutors either failed to turn over evidence or lied about conducting a thorough investigation into Gray's death.

The evidence already provided by prosecutors is "completely devoid of any information obtained during the course of the State's investigation," the defense attorneys said, leading them to conclude that "either the State is withholding the information from its investigation, or there was no investigation."

"Knowledge of which of these alternatives is true is essential to the Defendants' ability to prepare a proper defense," the attorneys wrote in their motion."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/freddie-gray/bs-md-ci-gray-mosby-investigation-20150723-story.html

yikes - Chief Deputy State's Attorney Michael Schatzow is on fire! sadly, the article doesn't have their filing - short snippet

Prosecutors plan to seek sanctions against the defense attorneys for six Baltimore police officers charged in Freddie Gray's death, accusing them of "factual mendacity and legal malarkey."

the part of the article i don't understand is why he included the judge in his statement = isn't that a tad presumptuous? it's regarding the judge shopping allegation.

quote: "The Defendants' Motion to Suppress is a baseless, scurrilous attack on the integrity of a distinguished Circuit Court Judge and a well-respected Assistant State's Attorney," Schatzow wrote.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...rosecutors-seek-sanctions-20150724-story.html

jmo but what a joke this whole case has turned into.

Defense provides evidence for claim of 'judge-shopping' in Freddie Gray case

"We should be fine," Peisinger responded, according to defense attorneys. "I will call to see if Doory will possible sign them."

Eighteen minutes later, the defense says, Peisinger wrote again: "Waiting for a call back. Spoke to the judges chambers."

Defense attorneys repeated their assertion that a prosecutor — identified for the first time as Assistant State's Attorney Albert Peisinger — communicated improperly with a Circuit Court judge to get the warrants signed after the first judge he tried found that they lacked probable cause.

Defense attorneys say they also discovered an unexecuted warrant for the officers' private cellphones that was never disclosed to them in discovery, and another warrant — for the same personal phones — that was denied.

The defense filing is a response to a motion filed last week by the office of Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby in which prosecutors called the judge-shopping claim a "falsehood" and suggested it would ask the court to sanction the attorneys who brought it.

jmo but what a joke this whole case has turned into.

More like a nightmare for the 6 officers.

The more I read about Marilyn Mosby, the less I'm impressed with her. Her entire life has been about circumventing established rules and procedures-- so why should this case be any different? To give just one example, instead of WORKING and STUDYING to improve her LSAT score to get into Law School (she applied to many, and was waitlisted or declined), she circumvented the standard admission process with her own "plan". All of this to me says she EXPECTS preferential treatment when she decides she won't follow well established rules and procedures (and laws). She clearly believes she is an "extra speshul snowflake", and should get "extra speshul treatment" whenever she decides she wants it, IMO.

So, it's of no surprise to me that her "methods" of "investigation" and charging in a case like THIS, are "unconventional" (and probably fraudulent and illegal). This woman is a piece of work. I have little to no respect for her, and I definitely don't think she is deserving of any awards. I don't think she is qualified for the role she is currently elected to. She is not "good" for Baltimore, IMO.

I was active on campus and graduated with a 3.8 GPA. But I got wait-listed to every law school I applied to because I didn't do as well on my LSAT. So I needed to think outside the box.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/politics/news/a42402/marilyn-mosby/

She described how, after graduating magna *advertiser censored* laude from Tuskegee University, she got wait-listed at every law school to which she applied because of her LSAT scores.

Mosby managed to get around that by calling and requesting interviews with admissions officers to persuade them that "my LSAT score was not indicative of my potential. I was told that it was 'a hopeless effort . . . clearly now is not your time.' "

She ignored the doubters and eventually was admitted into her first choice, Boston College Law School. But she stumbled again when she failed to pass the bar exam on her first try.

http://articles.philly.com/2015-07-14/news/64371327_1_mosby-baltimore-prosecutor-top-prosecutor

Hmm, I guess she never considered studying more and then taking the test again?

I can only imagine what sort of threats persuasion she utilized in her "interviews."

BC must be so proud. SMH

More like a nightmare for the 6 officers.

The more I read about Marilyn Mosby, the less I'm impressed with her. Her entire life has been about circumventing established rules and procedures-- so why should this case be any different? To give just one example, instead of WORKING and STUDYING to improve her LSAT score to get into Law School (she applied to many, and was waitlisted or declined), she circumvented the standard admission process with her own "plan". All of this to me says she EXPECTS preferential treatment when she decides she won't follow well established rules and procedures (and laws). She clearly believes she is an "extra speshul snowflake", and should get "extra speshul treatment" whenever she decides she wants it, IMO.

So, it's of no surprise to me that her "methods" of "investigation" and charging in a case like THIS, are "unconventional" (and probably fraudulent and illegal). This woman is a piece of work. I have little to no respect for her, and I definitely don't think she is deserving of any awards. I don't think she is qualified for the role she is currently elected to. She is not "good" for Baltimore, IMO.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/politics/news/a42402/marilyn-mosby/

http://articles.philly.com/2015-07-14/news/64371327_1_mosby-baltimore-prosecutor-top-prosecutor

All of that shows in her stumbling and fumbling in bringing the charges so far. And her arrogance of being onstage at The Prince concert and her mismanaging the info about the 'illegal' knife---then suddenly dropping those charges and inserting a new charge instead. And when called out with legal motions she answers with hysteric and hyperbole> very embarrassing, imo

ETA{ and the way she kept touting her Law Enforcement background, being 5 th generation LE. Never once mentioning the many corruption charges her 'LE family' was convicted of.

[h=1]URGENT - Baltimore State's Attorney deputy once defended Freddie Gray[/h]Baltimore's Deputy State's Attorney, who is prosecuting the six police officers for the in-custody death of Freddie Gray, once represented the victim in an unrelated 2012 criminal case, court documents show.

More details emerge on Batts meeting after Freddie Gray death

A Baltimore man who met with city police officials in the aftermath of Freddie Gray's death said he told then-Police Commissioner Anthony Batts he was Gray's brother-in-law, even though he was a friend of the family. The childhood friend of Gray's said he met with Batts and other officials on April 23 and introduced himself as Gray's brother-in-law, which he considers himself.

Defense says prosecutors withholding evidence Freddie Gray 'attempted to injure himself' in previous arrest

Prosecutors have information indicating that Freddie Gray "attempted to injure himself" during an arrest, but have intentionally withheld it from their criminal case against the six Baltimore police officers charged in Gray's apprehension and death in April, the officers' attorneys said in a court filing Thursday..

"Based upon information and belief, the State's Attorney's Office was informed of this fact, yet failed to disclose to the Defendants any statements, reports, or other communications relating to this information," they wrote.

In their filing Thursday, the defense attorneys said prosecutors have withheld "multiple witness statements from individuals who stated that Mr. Gray was banging and shaking the van at various points," as well as "police reports, court records, and witness statements indicating that on prior occasions, Mr. Gray had fled from police and attempted to discard drugs."

The defense attorneys also said that Mosby failed to disclose her office's participation in a "private meeting" with Assistant Medical Examiner Carol Allan before receiving Gray's autopsy report, which ruled his death a homicide.

They also said Mosby was told by police that a knife found on Gray was spring-assisted — and thus illegal — before she brought charges against the officers.

"While the defense has now obtained some of this evidence through its own sources, the defense has no idea of what else the State has failed to disclose."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...sanctions-evidence-20150730-story.html#page=1

Posted an hour ago. Much more at link that is worth reading in full. ~KZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member