Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add a bit more 'context':

Police who visited Karyn McAleer’s home found her mother and sister babysitting her children, who were sleeping. The women told police Andrew was not at the house and had not been for some time, and merely left his car parked at the property. But Rice refused to believe he was not there, according to Obst, insisting incorrectly “he must have ran out the back door”.

Police told Rice to stay out of a court order that did (not) involve him. At the police station, he declined to give identifying information, tried to snatch the court order on the McAleers from the officer’s hands, and tried to leave, declaring his visit a waste of time.

When asked to give his cellphone number, Rice gave a version with one digit altered, according to the officer.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...icer-brian-rice-freddie-gray?CMP=share_btn_tw

So yeah, he sounds like a really stable individual.

At least he didn't pull a gun out and try to abduct anyone this time, or threaten to kill himself.

:facepalm:

If he had indeed beaten Gray previous to this arrest, as reported by a witness to the arrest, I hope there's someone who'll come forward in court to say so. It may be a part of why Gray fled after Rice made "eye contact" with him.

May I ask where there is link or evidence that Rice beat Mr. Gray previously? I must've missed those posts...these threads go so fast. TIA

Page 103 of the motion for dismissal has a copy of the affidavit which was the basis of the WP story that revealed that the second passenger - since revealed as Donta Allen - thought FG was trying to injure himself.

The affidavit doesn't list the age of Donta Allen just "SID" numbers. I wonder how the WP got "38" as Donta's age when he is 22.

http://www.fop3.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Motion-for-Dismissal-or-Recusal.pdf

i was just reading this last night.

Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly described the prisoner in the van as a 38-year-old man accused of violating a protective order. This version has been corrected. The Post also has updated this story to add comments from the prisoner, 22-year-old Donta Allen, and to reflect charges filed against the police officers.

he Post was given the document under the condition that the prisoner not be named because the person who provided it feared for the inmate’s safety. But the prisoner, Donta Allen, 22, later spoke to the media, including The Post, and allowed himself to be identified.

In a phone interview, Allen said he had been in the van with Gray and told police he heard “light banging.” He said the police report incorrectly characterized his statements to authorities and that he “never ever said to police that [Gray] was hurting himself.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...d7da10-eec6-11e4-8666-a1d756d0218e_story.html

Can't figure out how WP got the age etc wrong, though they have retracted that now. They've stated they were given police documents, so perhaps there was a mix up in the documents they were given, by their source. :dunno:

The documents were meant to be sealed, so who knows how their source got hold of them in the first place, in order to hand them to the media (and with incorrect information....). Strange.

Everyone, please keep on topic OK?

In this case the topic is the following: MD - Criminal investigation/charges after Freddie Gray dies in police custody #3

Aren't motions by the officer's attorneys on topic?

May I ask where there is link or evidence that Rice beat Mr. Gray previously? I must've missed those posts...these threads go so fast. TIA

When Freddie Gray briefly locked eyes with police at 8:39 a.m. on a corner of an impoverished West Baltimore neighborhood two weeks ago, they seemed to recognize each other immediately.

Michael Robertson, 27, said his friend — who had a record of drug arrests — ran because he "had a history with that police beating him."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-45-minute-mystery-of-freddie-grays-death/ar-BBiKgNZ

<modsnip>

i was just reading this last night.

Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly described the prisoner in the van as a 38-year-old man accused of violating a protective order. This version has been corrected. The Post also has updated this story to add comments from the prisoner, 22-year-old Donta Allen, and to reflect charges filed against the police officers.

he Post was given the document under the condition that the prisoner not be named because the person who provided it feared for the inmate&#8217;s safety. But the prisoner, Donta Allen, 22, later spoke to the media, including The Post, and allowed himself to be identified.

In a phone interview, Allen said he had been in the van with Gray and told police he heard &#8220;light banging.&#8221; He said the police report incorrectly characterized his statements to authorities and that he &#8220;never ever said to police that [Gray] was hurting himself.&#8221;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...d7da10-eec6-11e4-8666-a1d756d0218e_story.html

Can't figure out how WP got the age etc wrong, though they have retracted that now. They've stated they were given police documents, so perhaps there was a mix up in the documents they were given, by their source. :dunno:

The documents were meant to be sealed, so who knows how their source got hold of them in the first place, in order to hand them to the media (and with incorrect information....). Strange

I suspect that the WP got the age from a separate police document since we can see no age is mentioned in the affidavit. I don't know what type of record a "SID#" points to but I suspect if we could find this record (which is probably publicly available) we will see the age and charges mentioned.

As for for documents being sealed I don't know if that was a requirement. The reporter may have requested a copy of the affidavit (as opposed to it being leaked).

When Freddie Gray briefly locked eyes with police at 8:39 a.m. on a corner of an impoverished West Baltimore neighborhood two weeks ago, they seemed to recognize each other immediately.

Michael Robertson, 27, said his friend &#8212; who had a record of drug arrests &#8212; ran because he "had a history with that police beating him."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-45-minute-mystery-of-freddie-grays-death/ar-BBiKgNZ

<modsnip>

Then why did he run into the building then run out?

Then why did he run into the building then run out?

... I don't know?

Maybe he was trying to find somewhere to hide out?

If he was stashing things, I have to wonder why he didn't also get rid of his knife.

Michael Robertson, 27, said his friend &#8212; who had a record of drug arrests &#8212; ran because he "had a history with that police beating him."

<modsnip>

Did he ever file a complaint against Rice?

I don't know? I don't exactly have access to that information.

But if he didn't, perhaps he had his reasons. Considering the statements of ex-Officer Joe Crystal (re how complaints are handled internally, by police let alone a convicted drug dealer) and the information coming to light on Rice's behaviour since 2008, perhaps Gray felt it was wiser not to.

But then, I don't know. :dunno: Maybe he did. Though I'd think if he did, that would have probably hit the papers by now.

<modsnip>

I guess it is a matter of interpretation. When I read it, I take "that police" as meaning police in general. If it was said that cop or that officer then I would take it as meaning a specific person.

That person who said that had nothing else to add so I wonder if he was even present when the chase and the arrest happened? IMO, if Rice had history of beating on people in the neighborhood, they would be lining up to tell their story.

I tend to take what witnesses say with a grain of salt until other facts come out to support their version of events. Lately I have seen witnesses, both LE and civilians, come out with "facts" that don't logically make sense or say they saw things that never even happened.

Aren't motions by the officer's attorneys on topic?

Yes they are on topic. They are specifically related to the Freddie Gray case at hand and subsequent legal actions.

Sorry, just an added bit of info:

City policies help to shield the scope and impact of beatings from the public, even though Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake acknowledges that police brutality was one of the main issues broached by residents in nine recent forums across Baltimore.

The city&#8217;s settlement agreements contain a clause that prohibits injured residents from making any public statement &#8212; or talking to the news media &#8212; about the incidents. And when settlements are placed on the agenda at public meetings involving the mayor and other top officials, the cases are described using excerpts from police reports, with allegations of brutality routinely omitted. State law also helps to shield the details, by barring city officials from discussing internal disciplinary actions against the officers &#8212; even when a court has found them at fault.

http://data.baltimoresun.com/news/police-settlements/

Perhaps if a complaint *was* filed, we won't hear about? No idea how that all applies to somebody's who's dead. Ie, other people, media, gaining access to documents.

Just by the by, the linked article is a long but really eye-opening read. It also details a lot of good reforms that have been made recently, by Batts and other officials.

This is kind of Off topic, but interesting.

On the Kelly File they said something that really stood out about the knife. Police officers are given leeway when making arrests, they can believe something is illegal and in good faith arrest that person. They then present the evidence to the Prosecutor who decides whether to press charges. Is it a switchblade or isn't it.

If this actually goes to trial it will set a precedent in the judicial system where a police officer who believes they are doing the right thing and is mistaken can be held accountable in the criminal system for not being 100% positive. What a dangerous precedent this sets.

Wolf Blitzer asked FG family attorney Billy Murphy "did you do legal work for Marilyn Mosby". Murphy responds "I have no current recollection of that - I'll have to look into it and if I did address it"

I responded ^ earlier this afternoon, saying ~maybe he did not actually remember.
Whoops, may I pls have a do-over? Per below, he rep'ed her several months ago.
Short memory?

Billy Murphy's October 29, 2014 email to Glenn Grossman
at the Atty Grievance Commsn. of Maryland, answers a complaint re MM's actions,
specifically a stmt she made about a person, who then filed a complaint re MM w
the AGC of MD or Bar.
Page 108, http://www.fop3.org/wp-content/uploa...or-Recusal.pdf (thx KEVINinTO)

I guess it is a matter of interpretation. When I read it, I take "that police" as meaning police in general. If it was said that cop or that officer then I would take it as meaning a specific person.

That person who said that had nothing else to add so I wonder if he was even present when the chase and the arrest happened? IMO, if Rice had history of beating on people in the neighborhood, they would be lining up to tell their story.

I tend to take what witnesses say with a grain of salt until other facts come out to support their version of events. Lately I have seen witnesses, both LE and civilians, come out with "facts" that don't logically make sense or say they saw things that never even happened.

Also, people tend to accuse cops of 'beating them'---when often it is just a cop trying to stop someone from running or resisting arrest. It is a two way street. I posted the statistics of the high number of cops that get injured in fights on the job, but it got deleted, so I can't link it. But the point is--it is a 2 way street. People are assaulting cops and fighting and resisting and running and cops are responding.

This is kind of Off topic, but interesting.

On the Kelly File they said something that really stood out about the knife. Police officers are given leeway when making arrests, they can believe something is illegal and in good faith arrest that person. They then present the evidence to the Prosecutor who decides whether to press charges. Is it a switchblade or isn't it.

If this actually goes to trial it will set a precedent in the judicial system where a police officer who believes they are doing the right thing and is mistaken can be held accountable in the criminal system for not being 100% positive. What a dangerous precedent this sets.

EXACTLY! And that is one of the things that is really bothering a lot of cops right now. USUALLY, if a cop on the street makes an arrest because he determines he has probable cause, and the judge disagrees, the charges are dropped, and that is the end of it. If the cop makes a habit of it, then his higher ups will write him up for it and correct it. But there has never been anyone ARRESTED for misidentifying a knife taken off a fleeing drug dealer. That is ridiculous.

... I don't know?

Maybe he was trying to find somewhere to hide out?

If he was stashing things, I have to wonder why he didn't also get rid of his knife.

Maybe he didn't know the knife was illegal (if it was). There seem to be a lot of confusion on whether it is or it isn't.

EXACTLY! And that is one of the things that is really bothering a lot of cops right now. USUALLY, if a cop on the street makes an arrest because he determines he has probable cause, and the judge disagrees, the charges are dropped, and that is the end of it. If the cop makes a habit of it, then his higher ups will write him up for it and correct it. But there has never been anyone ARRESTED for misidentifying a knife taken off a fleeing drug dealer. That is ridiculous.

See, that is why I think MM is holding back evidence for the time being. She can't be that incompetent and be in the position she is. I am sure she is very well advised. She must have more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18