MD - Freddie Gray dies in police custody #3 *INDICTMENT*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He was in close proximity to the victim, specifically to his upper back and neck, and has a long history of violent anger problems. So whatever he's been arrested for, that's a good enough reason for me to be concerned about his potential role in this.

Re "very rare occurrence" - no, it isn't. It certainly isn't in Baltimore, more to the point.

And why "must there" be extenuating circumstances, for a drunk with a gun threatening people for hours in front of police, for them to let him walk away? Do you really think there's no such thing as cronyism, cops protecting cops from consequences? Why must a woman who is threatened with harm in her own home by an armed man have to have contributed to his rage in people's minds?

If he was just another case posted on this forum, and not a cop, I wonder how many would assume "extenuating circumstances" for him terrorising that family as he did. Imagine any other man doing all that, having an armed stand off with cops, and the cops let him literally walk away.

Cops are supposed to be above that sort of thing, so I can see why people might give them the benefit. But reality is, not all of them are above it.

Bringing it back to Gray - there's a witness who heard Gray yelling for the cops to get off his back, and that he was in pain. The cop kneeling in direct proximity to Gray's neck is Officer DV up there. A news report has video close-ups which show Gray's legs being released from over his back -- where another witness said they were, folded up against his back "like a pretzel".

And in this particular case, I am not very inclined to automatically assume all of the witnesses are lying just because police are being accused.

I think the legs crossed and pulled up are so person being arrested can't kick anyone.

And you say there is a history on Rice, personal relationships can sometimes bring out the worst in people, that does not mean it crosses into professional life. I know this from experience.

Plus you are discounting the history of Mosbly's investigators: Avon Mackel. If history of LE is being questioned, Avon has one, too. He owes someone big time. WHY did Mosby choose HIM?

Even more issues for Marilyn Mosby as details emerge of top investigator’s checkered past

In October 2009, four months after his demotion, Baltimore County police sent a SWAT team to Mackel’s home, responding a drunken incident in which he was seen holding a gun, according to a police report of the incident obtained by CNN.
http://twitchy.com/2015/05/07/even-...s-emerge-of-top-investigators-checkered-past/

If I was a cop, I would be taking photos of all evidence I collect with my personal camera.

HI guys!

Ugh I tried, someone here wiser than I , all the gobbley goop about what they are talking about -- I narrowed it down to this (and then attempted to" get it" and post it ! Yuk

Too governemnty for me

Here are terms they are vomiting to news media:

Collabortive reform vs court enforcement agreement vs consent degree - those are the terms they are all throwing about ---------- if anyone can distinguish between all the politics stuff maybe we can all understand what it really going on in baltimore as it relates to what the mayor is asking, it infurated me , that is why i started taking notes - thinking I could figure out all their bs---

casue it sounds like we are going to , politically, pretend, we are doing something, when the reality is , if during this process we find that officer Wadcliff, officer Herneretta , and officer Jonesette, in our process killed 6 people over the last 5 years, we will not procecute them , but we will take these "learning" moments, and write a 478 page report , out in 4 years,regarding how to possibly stop this.

HOld tight --- back in a minute after a barf!

help! thanx!

What are they really gonna do, rephrase policy handbooks that noone reads? TIA I eagerly await my wiser fellow WS for an interprutation!

Just catching up on the posts from last thread - I appreciate that there are members here with family in LE or are LE themselves, who are feeling this all going to make life harder for police in general, affect their confidence in arresting people, and so on (I can't quote the posts, forgive me).

I come from the other end of the stick -- a couple of deeply, deeply corrupt police officers inserted themselves into my family life when I was young and caused an unspeakable amount of damage.

One of these officers, several years before, had beaten a man to death in custody - and it was pretty plain that he did so - was investigated for it and cleared of all wrong-doing. He went on to promotion after promotion.

I don't want to talk about the damage he also went on to inflict, he and his good friend (who was thrown out of the force later over something else...and now works in a top end government job..). Suffice to say, I know what an impact men like this can have on helpless citizens -- people mind you who are NOT criminals, at all -- and how protected they can be, if the particular system they are in values the protection of its own department over the well being of the people they are employed to protect. Which *should* include protecting people from police who are acting in criminal ways, or misusing their position in the community to assert power over people that they simply should not have.

I have seen, first-hand, how corrupt, self-serving men operate, using their badges as a shield from all responsibility. It is terrifying to know about their crimes and also know there's no point saying anything - who are you going to call? The police?

Bringing this back to Freddy Gray... and I simply cannot believe I have seen comments like "I hope he hurt himself"... for goodness sake.... he was, unlike my little family, a criminal. So I get why he doesn't get the sympathy vote from many people. But to me, this is not just Freddy Gray.

It's about men like Brian Rice, and the people who have for years clearly protected his career in the BPD, despite his terrorism of his ex wife and her hubby, and their kids. I know how that works... and I know that fear and helplessness... who you gonna call? Apparently if you call the police, they do nothing, and then lose the paperwork.

Not all police, and not all departments operate like this, obviously. But Baltimore clearly, very clearly, by admission of Baltimore's own authorities, *is* such a department, historically.

And, given that fact (and it is a fact) I think it's just incredible that officers involved would, for example, neglect to report a van stop... or manipulate witness statements to suggest to the media that Gray committed suicide... these are not the actions I would expect from police with nothing to hide.

So while I feel truly, very bad for all the good cops out there, who must be sick of all the hatred police are getting right now, and while I believe many cops are not treated well on the job to begin with and deserve far better (and more pay....) I have a hard time seeing these six officers as "victims".

I see them as what they are --- suspects, in a suspicious death. No different to any other suspects in any other suspicious death. Except that they have a whole lot of cops running their PR campaign, etc.

A terrific post!
Me too:

I come from the other end of the stick -- a couple of deeply, deeply corrupt police officers inserted themselves into my family life when I was young and caused an unspeakable amount of damage

and folks who have not lived it, cant imagine how scary, wrong and messed up it is IMO .............scary stuff guys ...............keep recording.................in last 72 hours there have been 4 more videos out ------------its disgusting....................

Does anyone know if Freddie Gray was on probation?

not sure about probation, but he had a court hearing like two weeks down the road before they killed him

Baltimore Police Commissioner Welcomes Review 'With Open Arms'

Baltimore Police Commissioner Anthony Batts said he welcomes "with open arms" the mayor's request for a review of law enforcement by the U.S. Department of Justice.

<snip>

The Baltimore City Fraternal Order of Police also has agreed with the mayor's request.

"We, too, have issues with many of the current policies and procedures of the department," Kim Deachilla, communications director of the union, wrote in a statement on Wednesday.

http://www.newsweek.com/baltimore-police-commissioner-welcomes-review-open-arms-329645

Baltimore Police Commissioner Anthony Batts said he welcomes "with open arms" the mayor's request for a review of law enforcement by the U.S. Department of Justice.

sounds great but that is why I tried to find out what all the jive talk meant, I think this "review" is lets rewrite a policy chapter as oppossed to discvoering that 3 years ago , 4 cops , killed another unarmed man, in questionable circumstances, never investigated, and they are roaming the streets with guns and badges

or to put it another way, a lot of rewriting policy, while it is totally understood that noone is accountable for anything this "investigation" finds............ political cr#p IMO

Motion filed to have Marilyn Mosby recuse herself
Motion filed by Officer Edward Nero's attorney

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/Motion-filed-to-have-Marilyn-Mosby-recuse-herself/32895776?absolute=true

Just classic smoke and mirrors --- the big deal is they were charged - will IMO all of em cept the van driver, be aquited, we got to look at the big picuture, the boys in blue better stop there abuse of power

The motion for Mosby's recusal runs 107 pages, accuses her of "egregiously" violating prosecutorial ethics.

again just smoke and mirrors that is how it works here in USA - this will go on for about 4 years!!

If this knife has been called illegal in the past, and Mosby gets away with calling it legal, can people in Baltimore who have been found guilty of carrying it appeal their sentences?
Yes, they can and will!

Does anyone have any information regarding whether FG threatened the officers with the knife?

If this knife has been called illegal in the past, and Mosby gets away with calling it legal, can people in Baltimore who have been found guilty of carrying it appeal their sentences?

Not if it was illegal then and the statutes have changed and it is legal today.

There are good and bad in every facet of life. Every person and incident is singular.

If there was widespread everyday beating of suspects there'd be hundreds of suits each year. What this ex-cop describes is wrong, it shouldn't have happened. But, that's one incident. Since we don't have the other side I'll agree this looks bad, but we don't know the other side. Every side has their own story and interpretation.

very repsctfully - in the last 18 months (If there was widespread everyday beating of suspects), how can anyone doubt the widespread, daily , new videos of police attrocities ---- in the last 4 days there have been new ones -----it is real, not ok, and sadly we all shall be subject to, pretty daily, videos, of what a huge oout of control mess this is

that is why I dont really care about if any of em get jail time, most folks are afraid of potentially facing jail time - its a wake up call for LE --- society is not gonna tolerate this any longer - BUT its gonna take years for them to catch on......... at least its a beginning.................

And if there's any doubt about there about there being an atmosphere of dense cronyism, lies and cover-up mentality in BPD.. here's Joe Crystal again, on his own experiences as an honest cop there, very worth watching:

[video=youtube;2XTNMOztwM0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XTNMOztwM0[/video]

It is just so bewildering to me , how anyone, re Rice "event" remains in denial about how they cover for each other - we are talking about an 90 minute epsode, that took two sperate agencies, Swat, drunken behavoir, agressive behvoir to close out without no arrests is just ludicrious, astoundingly so.

two depts, 90 minutes come on guys, that is just................................................restraining orders , people petrified of this dude, no arrest...........................come on

Does anyone have any information regarding whether FG threatened the officers with the knife?
From the charging document, he did not threaten the LEOs with the knife.

Defendant fled unprovoked upon noticing police presence. The Defendant was apprehended in the 1700 block of Presbury Street after a brief foot chase. This officer noticed a knife clipped to the inside of his front right pants pocket. The defendant was arrested without force or incident. The knife was recovered by this officer and found to be a spring assisted, one hand operated knife.

very repsctfully - in the last 18 months (If there was widespread everyday beating of suspects), how can anyone doubt the widespread, daily , new videos of police attrocities ---- in the last 4 days there have been new ones -----it is real, not ok, and sadly we all shall be subject to, pretty daily, videos, of what a huge oout of control mess this is

that is why I dont really care about if any of em get jail time, most folks are afraid of potentially facing jail time - its a wake up call for LE --- society is not gonna tolerate this any longer - BUT its gonna take years for them to catch on......... at least its a beginning.................

And how can anyone doubt the widespread daily assault on the cops. They are injured every single day by people they attempt to arrest, or just talk to, AND NO ONE SEES IT IN THE PRESS.

And how can anyone doubt the widespread daily assault on the cops. They are injured every single day by people they attempt to arrest, or just talk to, AND NO ONE SEES IT IN THE PRESS.

You really don't get the difference?

LEO are in a position of authority. Their job is literally to serve and protect, and to take suspects/subjects into the station for booking without intentional harm to that suspect/subject. OF COURSE LEOs get attacked, injured, and killed, and that is extremely tragic. No one is denying that, not one person. ETA: I'M NOT EXCUSING VIOLENCE AGAINST LEOs, IT'S INEXCUSABLE.

LEOs have an extremely dangerous job. It's literally in the job description. They leave home every day with the very real possibility that they will come to harm. But they are expected to do no harm in the process of carrying out their duties. Defending oneself is one thing, that's obviously not what's being discussed. Injuring subjects who are unarmed or in custody is what's being discussed.

It's like... students smart off to teachers all the time. They skip class and act like little fools. If a kid calls a teacher an "*advertiser censored**hole" is it ever appropriate for the teacher to call that kid an "*advertiser censored**hole" back? Ever? No. Because it's up to the disciplinarian to dole out the kid's punishment. The teacher is expected to set the example as the one in the position of authority. This isn't an eye for an eye.

JMO

He has no current recollection of that? Really? One would think one would remember if he represented her or not.

Its just well just....................the bottom line here is a 25 year old who rid a bike and ran....is dead...............the only "thing" that happened was contact with govt paid folks called LE................it is that simple.................fine before......... dead now

You really don't get the difference?

LEO are in a position of authority. Their job is literally to serve and protect, and to take suspects/subjects into the station for booking without intentional harm to that suspect/subject. OF COURSE LEOs get attacked, injured, and killed, and that is extremely tragic. No one is denying that, not one person. ETA: I'M NOT EXCUSING VIOLENCE AGAINST LEOs, IT'S INEXCUSABLE.

LEOs have an extremely dangerous job. It's literally in the job description. They leave home every day with the very real possibility that they will come to harm. But they are expected to do no harm in the process of carrying out their duties. Defending oneself is one thing, that's obviously not what's being discussed. Injuring subjects who are unarmed or in custody is what's being discussed.

It's like... students smart off to teachers all the time. They skip class and act like little fools. If a kid calls a teacher an "*advertiser censored**hole" is it ever appropriate for the teacher to call that kid an "*advertiser censored**hole" back? Ever? No. Because it's up to the disciplinarian to dole out the kid's punishment. The teacher is expected to set the example as the one in the position of authority. This isn't an eye for an eye.

JMO

TY! Media going all over the place --- the kids dead after being handled by public servants --- pilots know there jobs are dangeroues, bull riders know so, race car drivers, etc etc

They chose the job they did (many becasue of severe issues with power control problmes IMO) becasue there jobs, like many, have some inherent risk to them , does not translate to any of the videos we have seen in the last year or so............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18