MD - Freddie Gray dies in police custody #3 *INDICTMENT*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AND from what I understand, he did represent her in an ethics complaint, I will try and find those links. brb

http://www.scribd.com/doc/264688411/Baltimore-Police-Motion-for-SA-Recusal
In addition as shown in Exhibit #7 (pdf page 107) Mr. Murphy was actually Marilyn Mosby’s attorney in 2014 for complaint lodged with the Attorney Grievance Commission of Maryland.

Yes the evidence of this was contained on pages 107 and 108 of the motion for dismissal submitted by the defense attorneys.

http://www.fop3.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Motion-for-Dismissal-or-Recusal.pdf

It is mind-boggling that Mosby would deny that Murphy represented her when her statement was so easy to disprove. An interesting question would be did Mosby pay Murphy for this legal representation or was this a "freebie"? If Mosby is criminally investigated for her actions I hope investigators will look into this question since this would be considered a form of bribery IMO.

And yet he hasn't been charged with that so what is the point. Other than to keep on blamin' the victim.

And the attempts to do so are reaching farther and farther. It is mind-boggling.

I stand corrected on the phone number. For some reason I thought it was only one digit off. I thought that might be just an error. You are right by what you posted above it's fishy when he asked how did you get my number.
I don't know if he should be on the force or not. I do agree that he was way out of line several years ago, and could of possibly truly been suicidal/homicidal. Since he was committed for mental health, I would think the psych doctors would of had to clear him to be able to go back to work as a police officer.
There is nothing in Lt. Rice's actions on the day Freddie Gray died that leads me to believe that his family issues effected his professional actions.

Then, by the same token, Gray (the victim)and Mosby pasts also have no bearing on what occured the day Freddy was injured. And yet they are also being discussed ad nauseum.

Why would Rice's past record be off-limits?

YES, let's stick to the facts. RUNNING is not against the law but IT IS CAUSE for cops to chase and detain and confront to find out why the subject ran.

If someone is walking their bike and they drop it and RUN, that is legal cause for a cop to chase them and investigate the situation.Which is what they did. And they found weapon, which according to the City Code, is illegal. The SA quoted the state code, so they will have to battle it out in the courts.

And yet six officers have been charged in Freddy's death. And Freddy is not charged with anything. Because he is dead.

Interesting.

Just jumping off ^ like others saying
~ how was he arrested w/out incident when detainee ended up dead?

109 page pdf of motion to dismiss incorporates several docs, including on Page 40,
Officer G. Miller's "Application for Statement of Charges"
describing events which occurred April 12, 2015. It's signed and dated April 12, 2015.
Is there a way Miller or any officer writing such a doc could
foresee into future that FG would die several days later? IDK.

That is interesting notin. If one were to look at arrest as being getting someone to jail for processing - that seems like the goal of "arrest". How , in the space of 45 minute can any of the 6 invoved proclaim without incident when the van at that made multple stops before the lied about mystery stop, and at the end of journey was pulled out unrespiosive. I do not understand how a arrest "ride" with a comatose citizen in the back makes any sense, becoming comatose in custudy of paid govt officials certainly seems as if it "qualities" as a very very serious incident.

The fact that he died a week later, after never recovering conxiousness seems IMO to make the without incident even more ludicrious - they just had no idea how it was gonna blow up , did what many do, write it up as they want to regardess - this time the event upset the world and here we are

Incident:

n. noun

• 1. A particular occurrence, especially one of minor importance.
  • 2. An event in a narrative or drama.
  • 3. A usually violent or disruptive occurrence, especially one that precipitates a larger crisis. an international incident that provoked war.

adj. adjective

• 1. Tending to arise or occur as a result or accompaniment.
  • 2. Related to or dependent on another thing.
  • 3. Falling upon or striking a surface.
just saying..................

Let's stick to the facts. He merely made eye contact and took off. He wasn't being detained, he wasn't under arrest...he & Rice just simply looked at each other. Running is not against the law.

BBM-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ae70c4-e736-11e4-8581-633c536add4b_story.html

this subject, as it relates to the 4th amendment, was discussed here on 5-6 and i posted the following info

"an individual who suddenly and without provocation flees from identifiable police officers patrolling a high crime area creates reasonable suspicion under the Fourth Amendment for the police to stop him."

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/528/119/case.html

edit: here's his quote from the article . . . “That’s part of the question we have to dig into,” Batts said, “if there’s more than just running. There is no law against running.”

imo it's kinda clear cut that the pc doesn't know the law or misspoke or was misquoted

edit edit - and it's kinda common sense . . .

http://time.com/3843870/marilyn-mosby-transcript-freddie-gray/
Transcript

The blade of the knife was folded into the handle. The knife was not a switchblade and is lawful under Maryland law.

bbm Wonder why she said maryland & not B'more city since the law on knives differs from state and city.?

Mr. Gray was then placed back down on his stomach at which time Mr. Gray began to flail his legs and scream as Officer Miller placed Mr. Gray in a restraining technique known as a leg lace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FErwbC09ZsI

I'd be very surprised if FG's knife wasn't one with a button/tab/slide, i.e. the "other device" which the BC statute mentions, enabling the blade to appear using one hand. If that's not the case and unfolding the knife took both hands, then imo the officer/s would not have "reasonably believed" the knife was illegal ... which is the standard for arrests the Supreme Court has had for years, most recently reaffirming it last Dec. in an 8-1 decision.

And yet he hasn't been charged with that so what is the point. Other than to keep on blamin' the victim.
He never reached booking, even if he had and was only charged with one criminal count he could be charged at a later date with more charges so claiming he wasn't charged with a specific charge is not something to hang your hat on about his criminal activity that day. In fact it is a non issue.

Then, by the same token, Gray (the victim)and Mosby pasts also have no bearing on what occured the day Freddy was injured. And yet they are also being discussed ad nauseum.

Why would Rice's past record be off-limits?
I never said his past records should be off limits. my point was that I don't believe it was all one sided. The other person requested a restraining order. It only lasted for a week and was dismissed. I anything he wrote in his request with a grain of salt. His record speaks for itself on violence.
I have seen nothing in his actions the day Freddie died to tell me he did anything violent or self destructive on that day.

Want to block a poster's comments from your view?

Click on "Settings" at top right corner ... On new page click on "Edit Ignore List" in left column ... Type in name of poster and click "Okay", then click "Save changes"

I never said his past records should be off limits. my point was that I don't believe it was all one sided. The other person requested a restraining order. It only lasted for a week and was dismissed. I anything he wrote in his request with a grain of salt. His record speaks for itself on violence.
I have seen nothing in his actions the day Freddie died to tell me he did anything violent or self destructive on that day.

If Lt. Rice had past citizen complaints, I think it's safe to say we'd know about them by now. He's 41 yo and seems to still be serving out on some very dangerous streets (on a bike!), not sitting safely behind a desk, so I'd expect BPD would have received many complaints if Rice was a bad cop.

I just kind of assume that even if these are bad cops they would at least yell "stop" at some point in the chase. They obviously weren't planing on running an endurance race to see who was the best runner. And Freddie had to know they were cops.

Why would they not yell "stop"?

Of course they yelled stop and you are right, he was undercharged.

Pretty sure Lt. Rice had FG beat in the resisting department. FG ran away. Lt. Rice? A standoff.
Made a false report to get his wife's ex arrested, I am sure there are some I have forgotten.

Why is no one upset about his failure to comply (or whatever it is called)? He even gave a fake phone #, which I am pretty sure is illegal to do.

And although for forum rules must state specualtion: in reality most of us are aware the cycles of domestic abuse, male priviliddge, etc etc are rarely a one time occurance, but in fact repeat and escalate. In all liklihood this sitution was not the first one covered up.

Propensity to use vilence and threatening others is a behavirial/personality trait, probly not an ideal one as it relates to pwoer and control differences in LE and the public. . ALthough never acceptable, if he baked donuts on the the third shift somewhere the tendencies might be less concerning.......

Therer is another side to it. The man he was beefing with had a Restraining Order taken out against him by Rice's ex wife. His 4 yr old son was in that home. He was making a great effort to PROTECT HIS SON. Until I know more about his side of the story, I will back off.

I think it's unfortunate that the media and others are hitting hard on this particular LE Officer based on him having one prior incident and mental health issues. Especially since we don't have any indication at this point that Officer Rice was acting erratically or out of control with Mr. Gray's arrest. So the media seems to have overwhelming empathy for someone like Andreas Lubitz who had mental health issues and clearly murdered people crashing a plane. Yet, no one has anyone information that Rice is a mean out of control officer or was improper in handling Mr. Gray's arrest, so it's really kind of picking on him/mental health and creating drama when it may be a non-issue and not supported by evidence. It seems to me premature and mean-spirited at this point, but a lot of things so far about this case seem premature to me. Jmo/

Again, I'm reviewing the videos, feel free to scroll and roll if it's old news.

I'm just trying to make sense of the movements of everyone at the time of the arrest, going on what cctv there is available (BPD has pulled at least one cctv vid from the youtube list, which is a bother, I'm sure that's the one I saw earlier and wanted to discuss... owel).

From what I can tell, Gray ran up the street (away from the corner where most of the video is taken) -- he must then run around the corner at the other end of the street? And then we see him in another video taken from another angle entering a building -- almost diagonally opposite on the block from the corner where the bikes are parked?

We can see him going into the building (if it's indeed him, I think it is) - do we see him coming out at all?

As there's one bike cop wheeling the bikes toward the little wall thing, we can see there's no-one there yet (and won't be, for 50+ more seconds). So I'm wondering...

Exactly *where* Gray was apprehended, and by whom?
How'd they get him to that corner where the bikes are already parked?
Why'd the cops move him (still on his belly, as far as I can see) from the bigger wall over to the bikes?
Did they lift, drag or walk him there?
Is there a patrol car parked opposite from where the bikes are being parked, prior to Gray appearing on the corner?
Where's the cops from that car? What were they doing?
And why'd that patrol car swerve over onto the wrong side of the road? Why didn't either patrol car stop? Or did they?

So many questions.

They can be added to the questions that remain about the mystery stop only revelaed when private citizen video surfaced

I would think that the ex's new husbands record would also be importent to know. It is possible that Lt Rice was very concerned that his child was living in that household. We don't know what was happening that no charges were filed against Lt Rice, The other doesn't have a squeaky clean record of violence. it's hard for me to judge either one with the limited info made public and in public record.
I also think that a person will step out of line in concern for their child's safety, and yet have no problem doing their job professionally.
As far as giving a fake number, we don't know if it was intentional or not.

RE It is possible that Lt Rice was very concerned that his child was living in that household.

That may e well and true, but I doubt if we reversed the sitution and had it be Rice responding in the role of a cop wherein a citizen was doing and yelling, threatening etc that Rice would, after 90 minutes, two agencies, some SWAT etc not end up in jail with a litany of charges.

It is far more concerning when a cop, who is suppossed to know about not taking justice into ones hands , does say in such a way that the resourves warrented to end it are numbing. THe only reason why two agencies allowed it to proceed that long was casue it was a cop-- in a civilian deal, in all liklihood they would have stormed , shot, and left. Lets be real guys!

Thousands of dollars in tax payer resourves for one angry threatening intoxicated distressed man........................

No arrest at the conclsion - there is only one conclusion about that ............................

Legal Insurrection has a write up on the motion to recuse. Good stuff as usual--Branca rocks.

Let me try and make my point more clear.

I looked up a Maryland statute that I feel the arresting officers could have used when arresting Freddie Gray. I was merely wondering why they didn't use it against Gray. If they wanted to make Gray look as bad as possible you would think that the officers would bring every possible charge against him.

But they didn't. And I think that has a bearing on what these officers mindset was when this arrest was made.

JMO

What would be really neat to know is exactly when the reports were written. By that I mean they all probably knew within 45 minutes that the arrestree came out unresponsive - I wonder then weather the least documented the better mindset swept over the paperwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18