CONVICTION OVERTURNED MD - Hae Min Lee, 17, Baltimore, 13 Jan 1999

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really intruiged to see how this plays out. If Adnan didn't do it and someone else, does that mean all Jay's statements in the interviews were junk? This is what i could never get my head around in this case. Was Jay forced to lie? Blackmailed? Why else would you give testimony that wasn't true to convict one of your close friends. The whole case is bizarre.
First, they weren't close friends. They knew each other because Jay was dating Adnan's best friend, Stephanie, at that time.

The state has told you in their brief that Jay Wilds is not a reliable witness. Odds are he was caught with heavy weight and the cops gave him a way to avoid prison by helping them get Adnan. They had tunnel vision which is now even more clear since they had at least two other viable suspects that weren't vetted properly.
What this case shows you is how corrupt the cops and the prosecutors were at the time. These two detectives have had other cases overturned due to their illegal/unethical actions.

<snip> Prosecutors have yet to decide if they will seek a new trial or drop the charges against Mr. Syed...
“At this time, we will remove the shackles from Mr. Syed,” Judge Phinn declared after announcing her decision. She ordered Mr. Syed to serve home detention and gave prosecutors 30 days to decide whether to move for a new trial or drop the case.

They will file to retry him if the DNA results don't come back within 30 days. They can't let the time run out in the event the DNA is Adnan's. Once the DNA comes back and it's not Adnan's, they will drop the retry request probably with prejudice.

I don't know @ashhouston - much of what is being reported now was not included in the podcast or the documentary following that.
•The prosecutor is saying that there were other suspects that were not properly vetted and there existence wasn't disclosed to Syed's original defense lawyer or to the one's who handled his appeals.
•At least one of these other suspects have records of similar crimes.
•LE had a witness who stated one of these suspects threatened to kill Lee.
•AND her car happened to be in the backyard belonging to one of their families?
After the prosecution admitted that their cell phone evidence was faulty because the locations shown on billing records is not an accurate record of usage location - what evidence from the original trial do you still feel is so compelling?
There is none. The state has also discredited Jay, Jen, Krista, phone records and the detectives involved. They'd have to have his DNA now and they don't.

The one-paragraph notice offers no argument yet for why he believes the decision should be appealed. In a statement, Kelly said the appeal was based on potential violations to the rights of the family to participate in last week’s hearing.
“The notice of appeal is the first step in seeking the Maryland Court of Special Appeals’ review of the potential violations of Maryland’s victim’s rights statutes in connection with the hearing,” he said.
A spokeswoman for the Baltimore state’s attorney said the office empathizes with the Lee family “who believed they had resolution and are now being retraumatized by the misdeeds of the prior prosecutors.”

Woah. Listening to undisclosed episode 13: bearing witness. There's a witness (Bilal) who says he was with Adnan at the mosque the evening of Jan 13??? Isn't that... Majour??? How can a massive thing like an alibi witness just be ignored??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just bringing this forward for context. If you look at it from a different perspective, if true, it places AS and the new suspect together and solidifies culpability for both.

Just bringing this forward for context. If you look at it from a different perspective, if true, it places AS and the new suspect together and solidifies culpability for both.
Exactly, Force. Firstly, Bilal was known to Syed’s defense team all along, since Gutierrez represented him at the Grand Jury proceedings. If Bilal had been a viable suspect in any way, shape, or form, Gutierrez would have used that to Sued’s advantage at trial. There was no Brady violation. Syed killed Hae and Mosby is letting him free to sue the pants off the City. What a Charlie Foxtrot.

The Maryland Office of the Public Defender reported that additional DNA testing excluded Syed.

Okay, but I would like to see the details about this.

And maybe they should be prosecuting Jay for perjury.

Okay, but I would like to see the details about this.

And maybe they should be prosecuting Jay for perjury.
I'd be more interested in going after those that coached Jay and got him to say exactly what they wanted them to say to pin this on Adnan. Jay was barely an adult and if I recall correctly had some drug charges or potential drug charges (for pot) and I am not saying it's okay to lie, but if detectives are saying xyz and you feel like you have to lie, it's a much bigger issue to me than a young man in a tough spot agreeing to say what detectives want me to. I'd say in the years since I wish he would have said, I lied or told what detectives wanted me to. Unfortunately, when bad LE do things like this, it sews the seeds in many that LE can't be trusted and they are fearful instead of looking at them for help.

@justin_fenton

Marilyn Mosby says her office received DNA testing on skirt, pantyhose, jacket and shoes of Hae Min Lee. No DNA recovered from first three; DNA mixture of multiple contributors on Lee's shoes. "Most compellingly, Adnan Syed's DNA was excluded."

Mosby calls Syed's conviction "wrongful" and apologizes to Lee family and Adnan Syed. "It's my duty to ensure justice is not delayed, justice is never denied, but justice be done. Today justice is done."

Mosby says investigation into Lee's death is "open and pending" and will not disclose any more

"The items we tested have never before been tested" and they used "advanced technology" to analyze them, Mosby says

@Dylan_Segelbaum

Statement from Steve Kelly, an attorney for Young Lee, Hae Min Lee’s brother, on the decision from the
@BaltimoreSAO to drop the charges against Adnan Syed.

Attachments

• 040ACAA0-FE16-4091-A21B-09D0D38FE836.jpeg
    040ACAA0-FE16-4091-A21B-09D0D38FE836.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 14
Well, now he will formally be exonerated and the Rabia lemmings are moving on to free Scott Peterson. You can’t make this stuff up. Per Mosby, the TOUCH dna from her shoes came back as multiple people and not Syed. The remaining dna is not back yet, but hey, let’s let him out and free to sue for millions because, hey, he didn’t touch her shoes. Or if he did, perhaps that dna was degraded from being buried in the elements for a month.

Well, now he will formally be exonerated and the Rabia lemmings are moving on to free Scott Peterson. You can’t make this stuff up. Per Mosby, the TOUCH dna from her shoes came back as multiple people and not Syed. The remaining dna is not back yet, but hey, let’s let him out and free to sue for millions because, hey, he didn’t touch her shoes. Or if he did, perhaps that dna was degraded from being buried in the elements for a month.

Come on, that’s just grasping at straws. I’ve leaned both guilty and not guilty over the years but looking at the stuff that we have been told in the last few weeks you have to realise you’re jumping through hoops. Seriously. Now that the dna results are in, it must be that his just so happened to have degraded? We don’t even know yet if the dna they found belongs to the other suspects!

Oh and btw, Maryland is notoriously terrible at compensating people for wrong convictions, even with recently passed reforms. And keep in mind he hasn’t been exonerated, so im not even sure he’d be elegible. It ain’t happening I don’t think

Also, she was buried barefoot and therefore, the shoes were not buried for a month. Her shoes were found in her car

Come on, that’s just grasping at straws. I’ve leaned both guilty and not guilty over the years but looking at the stuff that we have been told in the last few weeks you have to realise you’re jumping through hoops. Seriously. Now that the dna results are in, it must be that his just so happened to have degraded? We don’t even know yet if the dna they found belongs to the other suspects!

Oh and btw, Maryland is notoriously terrible at compensating people for wrong convictions, even with recently passed reforms. And keep in mind he hasn’t been exonerated, so im not even sure he’d be elegible. It ain’t happening I don’t think
What, exactly, have we been told that has been proven? Mr. S was investigated and there was no Brady violation. Bilal was well known to the killer’s defense all along.
Mosby said he only has to file for exoneration and he is eligible for compensation.

What, exactly, have we been told that has been proven? Mr. S was investigated and there was no Brady violation. Bilal was well known to the killer’s defense all along.
Mosby said he only has to file for exoneration and he is eligible for compensation.

Well, if he just spent 20 years in prison and has been exonerated by DNA, why shouldn't he be compensated?

The tragedy of this case is the Lee family and the Syed family. If his dna is excluded, he did not kill her. There was no way he could anticipate the advancement in dna testing back at the time of the murder. The criminals in this case are those/the person that killed her AND LE who fit a narrative that they wanted to a person they had access to Syed. LE should be held responsible as should Jay and the killer.

I never want to forget the victim and her family in this case. She died a horrible death and was discarded like trash. But, today, we also have other victims in the Syed family.

So how do we know the killer even touched them?

You could argue that for most dna evidence. We know the killer dumped her car. The shoes were found in the car. There’s a reason they dropped the charges and I’m sure they know more than we do. It’s likely they know exactly whose dna is in those shoes. Perhaps it’s even the dna of one of the suspects.

You could argue that for most dna evidence. We know the killer dumped her car. The shoes were found in the car. There’s a reason they dropped the charges and I’m sure they know more than we do. It’s likely they know exactly whose dna is in those shoes. Perhaps it’s even the dna of one of the suspects.
If it's one of the suspects that would have no known reason to have ever been in her car or in a position to touch her shoes when she was alive or otherwise, then that would be very telling. I really hope in this case that is what they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper