MD - Ji'Aire Lee, 3, found dead in swing pushed by mom, La Plata, 22 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've been gone without internet access. I'm just boggled how this is even possible. I don't know what else to say. What a beautiful boy.

I haven't been on here for a while and I'm just reading up on the cause of death now. :(
Heartbreaking! Poor little guy was alive when taken to the park, he must of been so scared and confused. I wish someone spotted them earlier and he could have been saved.
He had been let down by so many.

Wonder if his mother will be charged with anything?

Rip little man :rose:

I've been following this story for awhile, and my main take- away from it all:

Mom and dad of child had a long standing relationship and they had their son. Both parents resided together and appeared to be loving, attentive parents. Toward the end of 2014 the relationship began to break down and mom and son moved back in with maternal grandma who was living temporarily at a hotel wile seeking perm housing.

Around Feb 2015 mom began to experience some events that seemed paranoid but the child did not appear to be involved in the incident, a couple weeks later there was an event where mom was in a taxi with child and jumped out with the child. The dad took her to the hospital and she was help for mental health reasons.

The dad petitioned the courts for custody and on the filing paperwork did comment that moms mental health was a factor why he requested custody. At the hearing on 5/11/15, During discussions with the judge, however, the judge asked the father if they could share custody and if anyone was unfit the dads response was "no one is unfit".

Grandma reports that the child was ill Wednesday night with a slight cold and treated, felt better Thursday, and the family went to BK and Dollar store, afterwards mom and son walked to the park (Thursday). When grandma didn't hear from her she became concerned and called her Friday 5/22/15 at 12:30 am. The child's mom stated they were returning from the park at that time.

Within a few hours the child was discovered dead in the swing.

NOTE: The timeline the grandmother states took place has been debunked as eye witnesses have verified that the child was seen at the park Wednesday a.m. at 11:30 am

MOO is that this mother did not intentionally hurt her child, if a. Mother wants to hurt their child there's many easier ways than 48 hours of swinging them to the point that they die of dehydration and hypothermia.

But I do wonder if the dad told the hospital in February that mom jumped with child from taxi. He had an obligation as a parent to report the danger his child was in. If the hospital knew this information did they act on this info? They had a professional obligation to notify Cps.

Dad in court was asked by the judge if anyone was unfit, he answered no. Again he was negligent he did not share this information with the courts.

And grandma was well aware that her daughter had jumped out of the taxi with her grandson. I understand she felt the mom would never deliberately hurt the child but she had already shown it could happen due to her frame of mind. When mom and child go to the park and it takes longer than an hour or two. Grandma should have notified the authorities.

This mother had a mental illness and was lacking resources needed to deal, including medication, therapy, but also from her family and friend network.

Sources: wwwwashingtonpost.com/local/is-the-three-year-old-found-dead-on-a-park-a-case-of-dad-discrimination/2015/06/01/

Www.myfoxdc.com/story/29150861/toddler-found-dead-swing

Www.Washington Post.com/local/sheriffs-office-death-of-boy-found-on-park-swing-was-a-homicide/2015/06/30/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I've been following this story for awhile, and my main take- away from it all:

Mom and dad of child had a long standing relationship and they had their son. Both parents resided together and appeared to be loving, attentive parents. Toward the end of 2014 the relationship began to break down and mom and son moved back in with maternal grandma who was living temporarily at a hotel wile seeking perm housing.

Around Feb 2015 mom began to experience some events that seemed paranoid but the child did not appear to be involved in the incident, a couple weeks later there was an event where mom was in a taxi with child and jumped out with the child. The dad took her to the hospital and she was help for mental health reasons.

The dad petitioned the courts for custody and on the filing paperwork did comment that moms mental health was a factor why he requested custody. At the hearing on 5/11/15, During discussions with the judge, however, the judge asked the father if they could share custody and if anyone was unfit the dads response was "no one is unfit".

Grandma reports that the child was ill Wednesday night with a slight cold and treated, felt better Thursday, and the family went to BK and Dollar store, afterwards mom and son walked to the park (Thursday). When grandma didn't hear from her she became concerned and called her Friday 5/22/15 at 12:30 am. The child's mom stated they were returning from the park at that time.

Within a few hours the child was discovered dead in the swing.

NOTE: The timeline the grandmother states took place has been debunked as eye witnesses have verified that the child was seen at the park Wednesday a.m. at 11:30 am

MOO is that this mother did not intentionally hurt her child, if a. Mother wants to hurt their child there's many easier ways than 48 hours of swinging them to the point that they die of dehydration and hypothermia.

But I do wonder if the dad told the hospital in February that mom jumped with child from taxi. He had an obligation as a parent to report the danger his child was in. If the hospital knew this information did they act on this info? They had a professional obligation to notify Cps.

Dad in court was asked by the judge if anyone was unfit, he answered no. Again he was negligent he did not share this information with the courts.

And grandma was well aware that her daughter had jumped out of the taxi with her grandson. I understand she felt the mom would never deliberately hurt the child but she had already shown it could happen due to her frame of mind. When mom and child go to the park and it takes longer than an hour or two. Grandma should have notified the authorities.

This mother had a mental illness and was lacking resources needed to deal, including medication, therapy, but also from her family and friend network.

Sources: wwwwashingtonpost.com/local/is-the-three-year-old-found-dead-on-a-park-a-case-of-dad-discrimination/2015/06/01/

Www.myfoxdc.com/story/29150861/toddler-found-dead-swing

Www.Washington Post.com/local/sheriffs-office-death-of-boy-found-on-park-swing-was-a-homicide/2015/06/30/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I don't know...I'm really not willing to blame the dad, here.

Have you ever been near a person with mental illness? A person that you love? It is easy for those around said person to make excuses, give allowances, try, get angry, ask for help, believe the person is getting better, FEEL GUILTY, and most importantly, try their best to NOT be the one thing that pushes this person over the edge.

This father did try to get custody. I cannot and will it put blame on his shoulders for her mental health and for her failing to protect her child from herself. I would imagine he is feeling enough guilt for not understanding and not being able to stop the unthinkable. How many times have we heard how guilty people feel for not seeing a depressed person's intentions before they commit suicide. Mental health his complicated and unfathomable.

He died from dehydration and hypothermia… isn't that the same as COD?

Maryland woman who was found pushing her dead son in a playground swing earlier this year has been indicted and charged with manslaughter and child abuse, authorities announced Monday...

"I'm not a risk to anybody," Simms said, before her public defender advised her to be quiet. "I didn't even mean for this to happen."

Prosecutors said Simms' mental state is in question and they wanted her to remain jailed.

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/19758887-story

The swing where Ji’Aire was sitting had to be removed because police could not easily extricate the boy’s body from it. Charles County authorities ruled his death a homicide. He died of hypothermia and dehydration.

At the boy’s funeral in June, he was dressed in white and laid out in a white casket with a spray of white roses. Both his parents attended.
http://www.fox5dc.com/news/19758887-story

October 8th 2015 -

A judge declined to release Romania Simms due to the seriousness of the charges against her, but he did reduce her bond from $150,000 to $60,000.

Tiffany Campbell, an assistant state’s attorney for the county, said that Simms was diagnosed with schizophrenia. Simms said she received treatment shortly after the death of her son, 3-year-old Ji’Aire Donnell Lee, but was ignored by a jail guard when she started hearing voices early in her jail stint...

She walked into the courtroom in a blue and white jumpsuit, her arms shackled and her long braids in a bun. She smiled at her mother as she walked in, later wiping tears from her cheeks as the judge described how her son was found dead in a swing.

“Given the loss of my son . . . I’m trying to get myself together,” she later told the judge.

Simms pleaded for a bond she could afford, saying she understood the seriousness of the charges.

The judge replied, “You strike me in our conversations as a very nice person,” but he added that the allegations necessitated a higher bond. He offered to revisit the issue if Simms’s mother had stable housing to take her in...

[Mother] Vontasha wanted the judge to send a message that jails aren’t the right place for people with mental illness, adding that her daughter wasn’t getting enough counseling and the proper medication.

“She’s all alone,” said Vontasha Simms. “Taking her away from what was a somewhat productive type of life after this tragedy and pushing her into a place where she’s not getting any help — that’s not beneficial to her, that’s not beneficial to society, that’s not beneficial to anyone.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...6169bc-6dbe-11e5-9bfe-e59f5e244f92_story.html

crop_9020150320951301061432755730.jpg

“She’s all alone,” said Vontasha Simms. “Taking her away from what was a somewhat productive type of life after this tragedy

What was the productive part? Maybe she should be at a hospital.

She worked in Starbucks.

She should definitely be in a hospital not prison, IMO... Her mother said It's been a struggle even getting her properly medicated in prison. In a hospital she could hopefully become stable and one day be released - if she's found not guilty and if she's deemed to not be a danger to others, of course. Two big ifs.

I have to say, my heart bleeds for this woman as well as for her little boy. Such a sad, sad case :(

Apparently she was diagnosed and medicated before her son's death, and was living with her mom, before she killed her son.

Yet this is the "highly successful" support network that her defense lawyer touts? The psychiatrist says she is not a danger to others. Well, she sure was to her son! I do believe she has a mental illness ... I'm just not so sure she wouldn't be better off in a treatment facility. Sigh.

Trial is supposed to start tomorrow.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...9e6400-d722-11e5-b195-2e29a4e13425_story.html

The mother of the 3-year-old boy who was found dead in a swing in La Plata was found not criminally responsible for his death, officials announced Monday.

http://wjla.com/news/local/mother-of-child-found-dead-in-swing-not-criminally-responsible

Huh? Did they even have a trial, or did the prosecution just agree with the defence that she was NCR? Right decision, anyway. An awful tragedy all round - I don't think the poor mother knew what she was doing. Hopefully she will get good treatment and care now, which she wouldn't in prison.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ECKSLEUTH
Back