MD MD - Judith 'Judy' O'Donnell, 19, Baltimore, 30 Nov 1980

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I read a book review yesterday in the new york times. The author of the book was Wayne Koestenbaum and the title of the current book was Humiliation. The reason I'm posting about it is the article states that he is obsessed with Andy Warhol (and others) and has written a book about him:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/03/books/humiliation-by-wayne-koestenbaum-review.html

Also an article about the author:

http://www.pen.org/author.php/prmAID/35/prmID/1832

I also googled books about Warhol. And there is a book called Diaries of Andy Warhol that chronicles his life in "obsessive detail" in new york in the 70's and 80's.

Since earlier in the thread there was a discussion of the possible studio 54 connection and maybe a Warhol connection with Judy, does anyone think contacting this author to see if he has any knowledge, photographs or etc., would be worthwhile? Or possibly there might be something in the diaries that could help?

I was able to scan the index of the diaries online at Amazon and found no reference to a Judy O'donnell. I know from sister's facebook page that Judy sometimes used alias', so maybe, maybe, maybe...

What do other members think?

I unearthed his work phone number and left a message there - hopefully he'll call back ?? thank you!

here's the email (minus the video and my signature) I just sent.
She bore a striking resemblance to Edie Sedgewick, went to Studio 54 regularly, attended Reagan's inaugural in 1981, "lived" in the village, was a prostitute (based on rap sheet in SC), brought home mounds of stinky laundry in a soldier bag. She was thirsty for fame, and would do anything to get it.

I'm wondering if you have come across her name (Judy O'Donnell, Erin O'Day, Tuffy O'Donnell) or likeness in the research you have done for any of your books? I'm also wondering if you can help me with the dotted line I've heard between Warhol and the Reagan Administration, and maybe that's the link Judy had? (maybe she was part of the mob, maybe she was part of the piss paintings ??)

She's been missing 30 years, she would have turned 50 this year in April. You don't know me from Adam, I'm grasping at straws trying desperately to get answers about my sister's disappearance.

Thank you in advance for any help or guidance you might be able to offer.

well he emailed back (hooray, I can still elicit reponses from total strangers!) but, unfortunately he either did not know her or did not remember her. I asked if there was any way he would forward my information to people he had worked on while researching his books. Throw it out there. Maybe it will stick. Maybe it won't. I'm used to this.

JSM, what about contacting people (yes, celebrities) known to have frequented Studio 54? People in the many photos out there...

And the owner(s)...Steve Rubell (?), etc.

It might be a challenge to get contact info. Although many may want to distance themselves from certain behaviors that occurred there, there must be someone(s) with a heart. :heart:

I keep going back to look at Judy's photos, especially the last one (in the beret). :) and :(

After more thought, perhaps the Andy Warhol era was before "her time", thus why I said "of a different generation". I hope I didn't lead you on a wild goosechase by mentioning her resemblance to Edie Sedgwick. :)

I just got the media relations number for the new Studio 54 sirius radio program on Friday, too late to do anything with it last week, but I plan to get in touch with the bouncers, who were purported to be stone sober the entire time they worked there. rubell is dead, I believe, and Shrager has an empire, I doubt he'd had the time of day for a paeon like me!

I just got the media relations number for the new Studio 54 sirius radio program on Friday, too late to do anything with it last week, but I plan to get in touch with the bouncers, who were purported to be stone sober the entire time they worked there. rubell is dead, I believe, and Shrager has an empire, I doubt he'd had the time of day for a paeon like me!

Being persistent is a plus ... somebody knows Judy. You have my admiration and heart for doing this. Am still looking on this end and haven't forgot about Judy.

You never know. He might have a heart........... AND he puts his pants on the same way we do and has worked for what he has, so maybe he's not arrogant.

Maureen, even when you don't get an answer or they don't know anything you are moving forward. Its just something more off your list and a little more information. I commend you for doing all that you are doing. You're making Judith proud!

Here is an email I just sent to the producer of the show - that JUST STARTED AIRING at 5:00 EST (I'm in CST)

30-year old mystery, YOU can help!
to (show producer)
show details 4:07 PM (29 minutes ago)

Mr. Producer,

Congrats on the launch of Studio 54 Radio!

My name is Maureen . My sister, Judy O'Donnell was a regular at Studio 54. She was last seen by her family on 11/30/1980. Part run-away, part lost soul, foul play is suspected. My sister was into all that the 70s and early 80s entailed, and supported her habit by turning tricks. She was long-legged, gorgeous, engaging, and loved to dance. There is an open, active investigation with the New York State Police, and stories are about to hit different media outlets regarding my sister's disappearance. I am hoping to get in touch with a bouncer or 10 in hopes of shaking their memories. If I can understand the connection between Studio 54 and the Reagan Administration (she was present at the inaugural in 1981), or if I can get a sense of WHY she was at 54 - how she got in, regularly - was she there with a drug dealer? As a girlfriend? As a hooker (doubtful as everything I've read points away from that direction). Who was she with? There are so many questions I have, and I feel strongly that the bouncers may be the only people alive who have the answers.

Is one of the features planned for the program different stories - human interest stories about what went on inside the club? Outside the club? I wonder if her story might be compelling enough - and if anyone who is listening might know either her whereabouts of what became of her ??

Can you help?

Here is a video montage I've put together of my sister, it includes images from inside 54 and outside a club in the Village as well as images from home.

http://youtu.be/2a1KVQtwH04

Thank you so much. I appreciate your reading this message. I hope that you can help. I'm happy to have a press or law enforcement- credentialed person contact you if you need that.

here's the email (minus the video and my signature) I just sent.
She bore a striking resemblance to Edie Sedgewick, went to Studio 54 regularly, attended Reagan's inaugural in 1981, "lived" in the village, was a prostitute (based on rap sheet in SC), brought home mounds of stinky laundry in a soldier bag. She was thirsty for fame, and would do anything to get it.

I'm wondering if you have come across her name (Judy O'Donnell, Erin O'Day, Tuffy O'Donnell) or likeness in the research you have done for any of your books? I'm also wondering if you can help me with the dotted line I've heard between Warhol and the Reagan Administration, and maybe that's the link Judy had? (maybe she was part of the mob, maybe she was part of the piss paintings ??)

She's been missing 30 years, she would have turned 50 this year in April. You don't know me from Adam, I'm grasping at straws trying desperately to get answers about my sister's disappearance.

Thank you in advance for any help or guidance you might be able to offer.

Hi,

When you mention a rap sheet in SC do you mean South Carolina? Is it possible that we should look in the South Carolina area as well?

eleph

Did Judy live in or frequent any other states that you are aware of and if so what cities? What city in SC?

I don't know why she was in SC; she was also in AL when my brother lived there for a time in the Service (his wife threw her out, she had drugs on her and it wasn't worth being caught and court marshalled) - that haunts my brother to this day.

She loved to visit family in MN, but no family there has ever said that they saw her after the 50th wedding anniversary in 1979. She was known to be seen occasionally in New Jersey.

She was in DC for the inaugural.

We had family in MD - where our last gathering with her was, and where she was reported missing from.

Judy might have gone to Myrtle Beach, SC. Do you know where she was arrested in SC, City, County? Approximate year?

Where was your brother when Judy went missing? Was he still in the military?
Did Judy go to see him after the anniversary party or before?

Did Judy have a close friend or someone she stayed in touch with from home? Or a friend in NY?

Did Judy always hitch-hike or did she ever fly, take a bus, or a train?

Does your brother have any ideas or theories about Judy's disappearance?

Judy might have gone to Myrtle Beach, SC. Do you know where she was arrested in SC, City, County? Approximate year?

Where was your brother when Judy went missing? Was he still in the military?
Did Judy go to see him after the anniversary party or before?

Did Judy have a close friend or someone she stayed in touch with from home? Or a friend in NY?

Did Judy always hitch-hike or did she ever fly, take a bus, or a train?

Does your brother have any ideas or theories about Judy's disappearance?

I need people to understand -- no one in my family is doing squat to find her. My oldest brother has been very supportive of my searching, has acted as a sounding board ... but he didn't even have the dates right. Thought his daughter had met Judy (hadn't). My other brother and my other sister and my parents are "letting the authorities do their <cough> job." W.T.F ? Really? REALLY?

There, now that the rant is over -- i don't think Judy ever flew, but I really don't know. she did take the bus with some frequency. There is SO MUCH I don't know that it's painful to think about. I was THIRTEEN when she vanished -- and my parents were so ostrich-headed that when people asked where she was or how she was doing, we were to tell them that "she was a bank teller in NYC" -- again, W T F?

My brother left the military in the early 90s. he was living in Montgomery, AL at the time of Judy's disappearance.

The arrest in SC - I don't remember - maybe 1978 or 1979? I don't know the dates or casefile numbers for the arrests in NYC. The pictures on her NAMUS page are from her mugshot in NYC from prostitution arrests.

Sorry for the rant. I'm a little raw today. The story is going to press tomorrow night at midnight. I can't wait. It's been so long. I am SO THANKFUL to everyone who has been so kind and supportive and inspirational - Thank you.

I'm sorry if I upset you. I really am. I didn't mean to seem insensitive. I didn't realize or had forgotten you had other siblings. I'm sure you have answered these question a million times over the years.

I'm just trying to get some sort of timeline and locations.

I'm so sorry your family isn't helping you. I'm sure they care and possibly think it is hopeless.

I don't see it as hopeless, like you. I see it as full of HOPE! I admire you for continuing to look.

I continue to look for answers about a friend who was abducted and murdered in 1962 and a 12 year old girl from the same area who was abducted a few days later and murdered. Both bodies were found a few days apart a year later. I've never given up hope. NEVER.

Keep seeking...........

Like I said, i'm just a little raw today. there are good days and bad days, this is in the latter camp. I really don't know where she could possibly have gone -- and I get the sense that, because she was so vocal, so persistent to be in front of a camera, that either she got too involved in something political and was snuffed, or caught a bad john and was snuffed. Or, in a best case scenario, was a witness to either the drug crimes, prostitution crimes, enough that she was used as a witness and put in witness protection. I would love to know that she lives next door to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back