MD - Phylicia Barnes, 16, Baltimore, 28 Dec 2010 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Even with a new trial I bet he'd be gound guilty again.

I missed taping it for the archive (and now idk where it is) but I heard a taped call from a juror saying they convicted him because of the phone calls moreso than the McCray testimony.

There was a new challenge to the credibility of a key witness in the Phylicia Barnes murder case

McCray testified the Barnes case wasn't the only court case in which he had testified.

Prosecutors used that testimony to bolster McCray's credibility

But a letter arrived a day after the verdict against Johnson in which the Montgomery County State's Attorney's office said McCray, who was also known as James Lee, did not testify.

It also included notes from a detective in Montgomery County saying McCray had been found to be not credible.

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/maryland...ase/-/10640252/19174754/-/w7dqbv/-/index.html

I am glad to see he has got a new trial, it was a thin circumstantial case with the best witness not being the most credible, and I don't think justice is ever served if the state has to offer inducements or grant witnesses things in order to get them to testify,

wonder if they will use Mcray in his retrial,

it is highly likely Johnson is the person who killed her, but they will need to present a more solid case if they are to convict him again and make it stick

I guess I am glad too about a new trial... they would have won an appeal anyways.

Someone needs to talk but (imo) there are a lot of people who helped him, and it is not in their best interest to talk because of their own consequences.

I can't imagine them growing a conscience now either.

he will also now not be charged with 1st degree murder, as he was acquitted of that in the first trial

This quote from TPC does make me feel better:

Moreover, the juror who contacted Baltimore Sun News Reporter Justin Fenton, advised that the jury’s decision to convict Michael Johnson had nothing to do with James McCray’s testimony, but rather was mostly due to the wiretap telephone conversations that Johnson made with family and friends. The juror cited that the fact Michael Johnson never once expressed his innocence in killing the Barnes teen, and only discussed how much time he would have to serve for a 1st degree murder conviction, verses a 2nd degree murder conviction, and his contemplating fleeing the country to avoid prosecution for killing Barnes all together.

http://thepeopleschampion.me/shocki...ted-new-trial-not-acquitted-and-not-released/

I think many, if not all, of our hinky meters went up when the prosecution decided to use McCray as a witness. They would have been fine, imo, without McCray at all and I still think they would have gotten the guilty decision on the 2nd degree murder.

The one thing that I really thought tied MJ to PB's case was the post on FB from a friend of his (I forget who) posted "It's in the dam" or something along those lines PRIOR to the discovery of PB's body. It made zero sense to me the prosecution did not use that info. No way was it a lucky guess, someone was told where PB's body was dumped and I presume that story came along with the who done it, not just where.

Round two, Phylicia. We are not giving up on ensuring you receive justice.

This is bad. Can they still use 2nd degree?

It hardly makes a difference, now that Maryland decided to eliminate the death penalty.

Can some one explain to me the ways in which a prison is a "correctional" facility, as opposed to a warehouse for criminals (not to mention an opportunity to pick up tips from other criminals). There's no "treatment" of any sort going on, although there are voluntary workshops put on by the prison ministry, and occasionally an opportunity to get a GED or complete college, but what ELSE? Seems there should be more.

Sad Michael Johnson is getting a retrial even more tragic is Deena Barnes not getting charged at all. Really disappointed she was given immunity. She should be standing trial along side Mike. Both of them are monsters.

Johnson's retrial is set for May 28.

Here is another blow to the case, lead detective Nicholson has been charged.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...ged-in-2012-incident-20130429,0,6447785.story

Det. Daniel T. Nicholson IV was charged with two counts of second-degree assault, one count of fourth-degree burglary and one count of making a false statement to police, prosecutors announced. The charges were filed more than a year after Nicholson allegedly forced his way into a Northeast Baltimore apartments in a frantic search for his daughter, who had run away from home.

Wow! That's a bombshell. It seems Baltimore has gotten its share of negative press about law enforcement lately. The prison scandal is enough all by itself. Hopefully, the State has enough remaining evidence to pursue a case against MJ. SMH

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

A new delay date:

Retrial in death of Phylicia Barnes is postponed until October
Both sides ask for more time to prepare in case of missing teen

By Ian Duncan, The Baltimore Sun
12:54 p.m. EDT, May 28, 2013

A retrial of the man accused of killing Phylicia Barnes has been put off until October, as defense attorneys and prosecutors asked Tuesday for more time to prepare in the case of the teen who went missing while visiting family in Baltimore.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...tponed-20130528,0,2725986.story#ixzz2UbpYvYTn

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayraeyn123
Back