Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The demographics of the California neighborhood make both unlikely. Almost 99% are Hispanic or black.
Really depends on where from. Cali is vary variable depending on the city

San Jose:

… San Jose, CA are Asian (Non-Hispanic) (36.9%), White (Non-Hispanic) (25.1%), Other (Hispanic) (13.1%), White (Hispanic) (12.4%), and Two+ (Hispanic) (4.57%)

Data USA

California in the whole

39% of Californians are Latino, 35% are white, 15% are Asian American or Pacific Islander, 5% are Black, 4% are multiracial, and fewer than 1% are Native

Thanks! I didn't read all the comments before I posted it. I agree that the location is a pretty rough area and the guy most likely didn't just randomly go there. Frankly, the more I watch that video, the more convinced I am that the suspect and the person that closed the door probably knew each other.
My issue with that assumption is the fact DNA was taken and entered into CODIS. That suggests a level of seriousness and cooperation that is at odds with the victim knowing the perpetrator. There are reasons a victim wouldn’t cooperate with LE, but that generally means they wouldn’t invite LE into their house in the first place. I don’t understand calling the police and cooperating with the collection of evidence, but then not identifying the perpetrator. Maybe if reported by a hospital, I know that scenario happens on SVU. I assume it isn’t unheard of.

I agree it does sound like they know a good bit of information. My thing is, they can't find him, it has been weeks. I would think they would release his name along with the camera screencap if they had it. As posted above, a lot of the Hispanic community had no idea this case existed. If they hear a specific name in the news or through the grapevine, I think it would get more traction. JMO

Here is a question.

Not pretending to know Spanish, hubby is studying and I listen, but… here we are

So if the kid is Pablo Garcia Acosta, he may easily sign into a college under Pablo Garcia on one coast, and Pablo Acosta on the other one.

None the wiser.

Darn, he might be under Pablo Garcia in Codis and under Pablo Acosta anywhere else. And what if he, as many Catholics, has two first names?

And now - we need someone from Mexico + Central + South America to explain what happens there. I suspect the same.

Harford County Sheriff Jeff Gahler gives an update on the Rachel Morin case and answers the most pressing questions circulating online.

Remember, there is up to a $10,000 reward leading to the conviction of Rachel Morin's killer.

Last edited:
My issue with that assumption is the fact DNA was taken and entered into CODIS. That suggests a level of seriousness and cooperation that is at odds with the victim knowing the perpetrator. There are reasons a victim wouldn’t cooperate with LE, but that generally means they wouldn’t invite LE into their house in the first place. I don’t understand calling the police and cooperating with the collection of evidence, but then not identifying the perpetrator. Maybe if reported by a hospital, I know that scenario happens on SVU. I assume it isn’t unheard of.

FEAR?

Really depends on where from. Cali is vary variable depending on the city

San Jose:

… San Jose, CA are Asian (Non-Hispanic) (36.9%), White (Non-Hispanic) (25.1%), Other (Hispanic) (13.1%), White (Hispanic) (12.4%), and Two+ (Hispanic) (4.57%)

Data USA

California in the whole

39% of Californians are Latino, 35% are white, 15% are Asian American or Pacific Islander, 5% are Black, 4% are multiracial, and fewer than 1% are Native
I was referring to the specific neighborhood the victim lives (or lived) in, which MSM has identified. I actually took the stat from Watts, which isn’t the exact neighborhood, but is nearby and has similar demographics. Watts is 98.7% black or Hispanic as of 2020. Majority is Hispanic in that area. Fewer than 1% are non-Hispanic Caucasian.

Last edited:
About Mexican names (copied from Family Search)

“So according to Mexican naming tradition, a child may have four names (two first names and two surnames) or three names (one first name and two last names) in all. In the case of an absent or unknown father, a child is usually given the mother’s last name and would either have only one surname (the mother’s paternal last name) or both as identical to the mother’s last name.

Surname conventions in Mexico can cause legal issues in the United States because when asked to list one last name, a person of Mexican descent would generally use their paternal last name even though their maternal last name comes last within their full name. In other words, Juan Gómez Estrada would be referred to as Mr. Gómez, not Mr. Estrada, while an American might assume that he was the latter. In the modern day, some families opt to legally register their children with just the paternal last name to avoid these issues. Still others decide to hold on to their own traditions and either hyphenate the two last names or list both as the full last name on an American birth certificate.

When a couple marries in Mexico, they keep their own last names, rather than the wife changing “

I suspect that the problem with finding him is: 1) he has a very common Spanish first and last name and 2) maybe issues with Mexican naming conventions being different from American ones.

Here is a question.

Not pretending to know Spanish, hubby is studying and I listen, but… here we are

So if the kid is Pablo Garcia Acosta, he may easily sign into a college under Pablo Garcia on one coast, and Pablo Acosta on the other one.

None the wiser.

Darn, he might be under Pablo Garcia in Codis and under Pablo Acosta anywhere else. And what if he, as many Catholics, has two first names?

And now - we need someone from Mexico + Central + South America to explain what happens there. I suspect the same.

In Latin American countries and Spain, the person's surname would be Garcia. So, the person's name is Pablo Garcia. (Acosta, which the mother's maiden is like a "middle name", only it's at the end instead of the middle)
The end name is changed with each new generation.
If that person moves to the US, their surname is still Garcia. They may choose to go with US style of naming, but some prefer to keep the old style. Eventually most change to US style. (So, his name would be Pablo Acosta Garcia if English style naming conventions are used)

Generally if someone is born in the US and has that name on the birth certificate, Acosta is the father's name. Hence, the kid is Pablo Acosta.

In Spanish speaking countries, they are not used interchangeably. The rule is pretty hard and fast over there.

Yes, those names can be used interchangeably in the US and I guess for nefarious reasons. But college students apply with SSN's. So, it's really not an issue.

We have the same issue in the US with married women. Sometimes they go by their maiden name, sometimes they go by their married name. Sometimes they go by their exes, name etc etc etc. Sometimes they go by numerous exes names.

The "the two first names", is pretty much the same as in the US. For instance most of us have a "middle name" on our birth certificate.
In the old days every infant was given a salutation name of Joseph or Maria. (I think this was the same in every Catholic country. ) Later, Joseph was changed to Jose. In the early 19th Century, the Jose and Maria salutation was formerly dropped when countries broke away from the viceroy of the church. However, the tradition still exists here and there. However, because of this custom, there does seem to be a higher incident of men using their second name as their preferred name. Once again, there are Anglos who go by their middle name because they don't like their first name.

Last edited:
There was something weird enough about the LA incident that they collected and processed DNA. They did not think he was just some drunk guy that found his way into the wrong house. Something set the alarm bells off for the LAPD and they went the extra step to get that DNA into the system.

I would be curious to know how FAST the LAPD got that DNA processed. They obviously thought this guy was going to offend again.

[snipped by me] Agree. And I think as the time continues to pass by with nothing, they are going to break and release some further details. They have to. It could make a huge difference in someone identifying him.

jmo

I wonder if it might be simply…the victim being too kind? I don’t know the nature of the act, it must have been a serious one, but if it is the same community, extended family or the victim once having been helped by the family (e.g., a foster child), the victim might have begged by the perp’s relatives not to spoil the man’s life, you know what happens in prisons, etc. One would be surprised how many cases would remain unreported because of the victims being too good and too idealistic.

I didn't even know there was a haircut named "Edgar" so I looked it up. It doesn't look to me like he has this straight bang front type cut. While it looks like it might be similar, to me I still stand by my first gut reaction when I saw him: he looked like he had a (nice) and probably expensive haircut and whoever did it should be able to recognize their work. Not only the curves, but the back. He's doesn't look buzzed in the back to me. He looks shaved. I can't believe the barber or hairdresser hasn't come forward. Makes me wonder if they are canvassing this photo IN LA.

And, if he was a regular they should definitely recognize him. But if he was a one-time customer and these cuts are so popular now, maybe they wouldn't know.

jmo

New Post from HCSO I didn't see this posted yet, so I figured I would share it here. The family distributed flyers amongst the Hispanic community in Bel Air a few days ago, and were astonished to find out that many, many residents are not even aware of this crime!

I have a question for the Spanish speakers on this site...the translation provided says that the suspect 'resided' in LA and recently 'reloacted to northeast Maryland'. Can anyone confirm that this translation is accurate? If so, this seems pretty significant to me. Almost like, they KNOW who this is but just can't find him.

Good because it was not great to hear her brother and the family atty say last night that the people in the hispanic community that they spoke with at the trail the other day knew nothing about this case. Made me question the promise they made weeks ago that they would be working closely with that community.

jmo

At 3:25

I didn't even know there was a haircut named "Edgar" so I looked it up. It doesn't look to me like he has this straight bang front type cut. While it looks like it might be similar, to me I still stand by my first gut reaction when I saw him: he looked like he had a (nice) and probably expensive haircut and whoever did it should be able to recognize their work. Not only the curves, but the back. He's doesn't look buzzed in the back to me. He looks shaved. I can't believe the barber or hairdresser hasn't come forward. Makes me wonder if they are canvassing this photo IN LA.

And, if he was a regular they should definitely recognize him. But if he was a one-time customer and these cuts are so popular now, maybe they wouldn't know.

jmo

Edgar haircuts are apparently expensive. Perp's cut looks expensive.

I think they first started out as " mom stuck a bowl over the head" cut.

Here is a question.

None the wiser.

So when I’m at work I have Hispanic customers with sometimes 4 names. Pablo Hernandez Guerrero Acosta for example. I see them on Lexis Nexis and it shows all the different names or variations of names that have been used by that social security number. As you say, they are switched around a lot, sometimes one or two is omitted, and basically just tons of different combinations.

I wonder if it might be simply…the victim being too kind? I don’t know the nature of the act, it must have been a serious one, but if it is the same community, extended family or the victim once having been helped by the family (e.g., a foster child), the victim might have begged by the perp’s relatives not to spoil the man’s life, you know what happens in prisons, etc. One would be surprised how many cases would remain unreported because of the victims being too good and too idealistic.

THIS ^
Lots of DM is initially reported but the victim doesn't end up pressing charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KimberlyJane523