Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same thoughts. I don’t think that DNA would even have been looked for, unless this was a serious crime against a person. (I suppose, perhaps if the victim was the child of someone with political influence?)

MOO
Agree and I think that is originally why my mind went to a sexual assault as there would be DNA from a rape kit. I'd think with how overloaded the LAPD is that they wouldn't be looking for and collecting DNA from a burglary. And if there was some sort of assault that occurred that involved blood that could have been collected but he didn't appear to have injuries or be bloody. It's also quite possible he could have not sexually assaulted the minor girl but left his own specimen they collected.

However, I still am surprised the LAPD collected something either way but thankful they did because had they not this case could have gone cold and hopefully now it will not.

If LE are saying he's 5'9 and 160lbs then they're probably accurate. They'll have done the measurements based on camera direction and angles in relation to the structure around him.

You only have to look at selfies on SM of people you're familiar with to realise that's not the size they are in person...

ETA: Changed height from 5'11 to 5'9

Last edited:
If LE are saying he's 5'11 and 160lbs then they're probably accurate. They'll have done the measurements based on camera direction and angles in relation to the structure around him.

You only have to look at selfies on SM of people you're familiar with to realise that's not the size they are in person...
5'9", not 5'11".
1692377725530.png

I realize that we all see things differently, but, in the video, as he walks away, anyone who cannot see muscle definition in his upper back and shoulders, if they saw a pic of me, would swear I am Jabba the Hutt from the Star Wars movie. He may or may not be an everyday gym rat, but he definitely appears fit to me, and probably takes some pride in his body. JMO
He is. He's in good physical condition. It is what it is...

I agree... I'm not sleuthing the house, just answering someone's question and explaining that I don't think the shopping cart has anything to do with it. We know the house is in the 77th district of LA, which is really all we need to know.
Yes, and the hope might be that LA investigators might now place additional emphasis on that earlier incident. And look further for other nearby surveillance, video, etc. in hopes of seeing what type of vehicle the individual might have entered or in what direction he was headed. Maybe some other details they have could aid this east coast matter. Since as others have said, if this is the same individual the intensity of apparent crime has escalated. And if the perpetrator traveled from LA to MD were there perhaps other incidents in the interim?
MOO

The key takeaway for me, is that whatever is was that happened in LA was enough for LE to expend resources and time to get DNA evidence, add it to the database, and post the video online. And now apparently, the perp has committed a murder in MD. Hope they get this guy soon before he does something more.

The key takeaway for me, is that whatever is was that happened in LA was enough for LE to expend resources and time to get DNA evidence, add it to the database, and post the video online. And now apparently, the perp has committed a murder in MD. Hope they get this guy soon before he does something more.
Out of curiosity, do we know if the video was released to the public previously, before the presser yesterday?

They sure don't post much on their social media. Our local sheriff's offices post daily, keeping citizens aware of what's going on. In the age of social media being where most people get their "news", I'm a little surprised they don't post really anything much. JMO
I think, in part, it's a volume of crimes/calls issue in LA.

Plus anyone in the LA area really wanting to know what's going on knows that you can find virtually everything posted in real time on the many scanner accounts dedicated to LA and in some cases, even specific LAPD jurisdictions (also the surrounding counties and communities - IE, OC, etc.)

The same holds true in Chicago - probably the two most heavily covered cities (in Chicago, in particular, more than one cover as full time jobs essentially round the clock) - and in both cases, they are cities where LE and media doesn't cover much crime wise due to the volume and by and large catch and release policies so things don't "stick" anyway.

Out of curiosity, do we know if the video was released to the public previously, before the presser yesterday?

Great question. Look forward to learning about this too.

Additionally, do we think that the unsub's DNA is being compared against more unsolved crimes now? I'm not sure how quick or automatic that is. Interesting that the two connected crimes have such different methods and locations. Maybe he's escalating. Maybe he's impulsive vs a planner.

I am praying someone recognizes the video.

They sure don't post much on their social media. Our local sheriff's offices post daily, keeping citizens aware of what's going on. In the age of social media being where most people get their "news", I'm a little surprised they don't post really anything much. JMO
Small towns are much different.
After the Uvalde shooting, I went over to their PD FB. Boy oh boy. They even posted pics of prostitutes. (Really???) It made me cringe.

Over here in Bexar County, our Sheriff's and SAPD FB is fairly similar to LA Sheriff and LAPD. (I checked all four FB pages) One of the functions of SM is to provide overall public safety updates and much of this includes traffic. And if LA is like San Antonio, there is always major road construction, reroutes and closures. Of course there are accidents too. The SAPD FB page is not a crime blotter.

I noticed this perp was recently posted on LAPD FB page.
Keep in mind that SM is to keep people up to date and FB posts get lost in the volume.

Great question. Look forward to learning about this too.

Additionally, do we think that the unsub's DNA is being compared against more unsolved crimes now? I'm not sure how quick or automatic that is. Interesting that the two connected crimes have such different methods and locations. Maybe he's escalating. Maybe he's impulsive vs a planner.

I am praying someone recognizes the video.

I sure hope they are looking at other cases whether they have DNA or not.
Five months and a big ole country stretched between LA and Maryland. He could have been a busy boy.

edit: typo

I sure hope they are looking at other cases whether they have DNA or not.
Five months and a big ole country stretched between LA and Maryland. He could have been a busy boy.

edit: typo
I don't know the logistics of how they compared the DNA on Rachel with a database where they matched his. Since his was a match across the country in CA, I would hope this is a national database and that it would have triggered matches elsewhere in the country (assuming samples from crimes are submitted to one central DB). Does anyone know? Does each state have its own DB and so Maryland had to submit hers for comparison to each state? It'd be nice to think this is all centralized, but it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't.

I don't know the logistics of how they compared the DNA on Rachel with a database where they matched his. Since his was a match across the country in CA, I would hope this is a national database and that it would have triggered matches elsewhere in the country (assuming samples from crimes are submitted to one central DB). Does anyone know? Does each state have its own DB and so Maryland had to submit hers for comparison to each state? It'd be nice to think this is all centralized, but it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't.
I'm thinking it was put in CODIS, which is a national database.

At 4:32 the reporter says "this is where he is leaving the home of that child in California police say he assaulted there". Davis did not correct her when she said that.

At 6:00, reporter ask about a weapon used in Rachel's case. He of course says he can't reveal that information, but does state "I will say he is a very violent person".

More discussion about whether the suspect was known to Rachel at the end.

Here's an example scenario of why it's legitimate to try to find the rough area - not the exact address - of where the LA attack took place:

- Let's say that at the time, the attack got a little press coverage locally, which revealed details publicly that the Hartford County police didn't feel important to tell the world yesterday;
- Then some decent sleuthing might find value in those earlier-released details, that might actually lead to something that takes them down a path that gets closer to the perp;
- E.g. If this did get some social/press coverage at the time and somebody mentioned a specific model of car, but Harford County/LAPD wrote that off as irrelevant, some may find that extremely relevant and worth looking at;
- LA is a huge place, and there is lots of violent crime there, so trying to find at-the-time local press coverage/social media coverage would require a neighbourhood.

Nobody is trying to dox the house or get the address of the house. Sleuthing sometimes takes you from question to answer via several very tangential stops. There is nothing wrong with trying to find the neighbourhood the LA attack took place in, to use that as an anchor/selector to see if there's already other tiny bits of info out there about it that could be useful now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonya702