Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023 #3 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I still can’t shake the feeling that the killer had seen Rachel somewhere else before attacking her on the trail and targeted her specifically. Followed her from another location perhaps?

I will go back and review the timeline. She was a very striking looking woman.

Or maybe it was purely a coincidence that they were both on the trail at the same time?

All IMO.

In this interview: Into the Sheriff's Spotlight

The Harford County Sheriff says that in talking to witnesses, LE has come to believe that the perpetrator may have been hanging around in and around the trail on previous days, and was seen concealing himself in the wood-line on the day of the crime. So it's definitely possible that he may have seen the victim previously, since she was known to use the trail frequently. However, I agree with the other poster who said that it's more "lying in wait" than stalking. IMO any woman who he could catch alone that day was at risk. He had probably scoped out several female users of the trails. He had likely made himself familiar with the area and knew the best place to attack.

@whinewiththegravy
Thank you for your thorough explanation. I also bring it up Because mainstream news reports (like Nancy Grace just yesterday) was showing that doorbell cam on loop and no one addressed this. The comments then focus on that and then it gets forgotten. If the public were aware that this has been studied and is part of the investigation, I feel like the public would move on. (This door issue not being addressed by MMM is why I personally dropped interest in this case.)

That said, to me, this method by which he exits from the home makes little sense. He leaves almost politely, turning around to the door - if he really had been caught and needed to bolt, he sure sticks around on the porch for a LONG few seconds.

Bolded by me - I think there is an explanation for this after listening to the sheriff's interview found here: Into the Sheriff's Spotlight

IMO the fact that he doesn't seem like he is bolting is because he was interrupted/caught by, basically, a kid or young teen. The sheriff describes in that interview that there are actually two young victims assaulted by this guy in the home, and then a "young, male member of the family" comes in and interrupts the crime. The young male family member starts shouting for adults and heroically gets the guy out of the house before this crime ends up like Rachel's did.

In this interview: Into the Sheriff's Spotlight

The Harford County Sheriff says that in talking to witnesses, LE has come to believe that the perpetrator may have been hanging around in and around the trail on previous days, and was seen concealing himself in the wood-line on the day of the crime. So it's definitely possible that he may have seen the victim previously, since she was known to use the trail frequently. However, I agree with the other poster who said that it's more "lying in wait" than stalking. IMO any woman who he could catch alone that day was at risk. He had probably scoped out several female users of the trails. He had likely made himself familiar with the area and knew the best place to attack.
Thank you very much for your reply and all the additional information. Excellent summation!

Bolded by me - I think there is an explanation for this after listening to the sheriff's interview found here: Into the Sheriff's Spotlight

IMO the fact that he doesn't seem like he is bolting is because he was interrupted/caught by, basically, a kid or young teen. The sheriff describes in that interview that there are actually two young victims assaulted by this guy in the home, and then a "young, male member of the family" comes in and interrupts the crime. The young male family member starts shouting for adults and heroically gets the guy out of the house before this crime ends up like Rachel's did.
For some odd reason it seems posters across all platforms like to fixate on this detail of the perp leaving the Cali house so casually. Like its an aha moment.
Despite this issue being addressed ad infinitum, it never seems to go away and keeps coming back like a bad "penny" lol.
JUST IMO

I still can’t shake the feeling that the killer had seen Rachel somewhere else before attacking her on the trail and targeted her specifically. Followed her from another location perhaps?

I will go back and review the timeline. She was a very striking looking woman.

Or maybe it was purely a coincidence that they were both on the trail at the same time?

All IMO.
I feel like he was watching her also.... He clearly works out. Did he run across her at Planet Fitness where she worked out? If you're a member there, you can go to any of them across the country.

I feel like he was watching her also.... He clearly works out. Did he run across her at Planet Fitness where she worked out? If you're a member there, you can go to any of them across the country.
In addition, I'd be curious if police looked into visiting Planet Fitness members at the location Rachel attended for a month prior to RM's passing who stopped attending that Planet Fitness directly after Aug. 6th, 2023.

In addition to your points, he says the perp's DNA was obtained from a hat left at the California crime scene. That's new information. Also said he did not enter through the front door, declined to state specifically how.

Last edited:
In addition to your points, he says the perp's DNA was obtained from a hat left at the California crime scene. That's new information. Also said he did not enter through the front door, declined to state specifically how.
Has LE stated that the DNA found is 100 percent match between the two cases - meaning LA perp IS RM’s killer? I am reading back, but can’t locate the info as to whether it was a familial match only, or positively linked as the same guy. TIA

Has LE stated that the DNA found is 100 percent match between the two cases - meaning LA perp IS RM’s killer? I am reading back, but can’t locate the info as to whether it was a familial match only, or positively linked as the same guy. TIA
Police collected DNA from the scene of what Harford County Sheriff Jeff Gahler previously described as a "horrific" criminal homicide and ran it through the Combined DNA Index System (CODIS). There was a DNA match, but the suspect could not be identified by name.

"This DNA has come back as a match tied to a home invasion and assault of a young girl in Los Angeles this past March. Unfortunately, that suspect hasn't been positively identified, but he did leave behind his DNA," Chief Deputy Col. William Davis said during the Friday press conference.

Detectives also shared more about the March 2023 Los Angeles home invasion connected with Morin's murder suspect.

They believe it was random, revealing several people were attacked in that home, including a child. The suspect left a hat containing his DNA behind.

Yes, as @PommyMommy linked above. The DNA from Rachel's case matched that of the California home invasion crime.

We've discussed ad nauseum, the possibility of using genetic genealogy, like in the golden state killer case. Maybe LE is doing this as we speak, but they haven't said as much. California and CT have State DNA databases, all convicted felons are required to give a DNA sample. These are the only two matches in the "unknown" portion of the CODIS database.

I guess the hat info had been revealed earlier, but I didn't remember seeing that detail. Thank goodness he left it behind.

1717949821428.png

Hi, I am new to this group. However, I used to live near this very trail in Maryland. It so unthinkable to know I used to walk my dog there.

I love crime investigations, but I am just learning web investigating. I am a retired nurse practitioner, so any advice would be appreciated. Any medical questions I would love to help out with.
Ty

Hi, I am new to this group. However, I used to live near this very trail in Maryland. It so unthinkable to know I used to walk my dog there.

I love crime investigations, but I am just learning web investigating. I am a retired nurse practitioner, so any advice would be appreciated. Any medical questions I would love to help out with.
Ty
Welcome to WS @Grace55!!

Prior to Rachel's murder, had you ever heard of any incidents in the area?

Ty

Welcome to WS, Grace!

welomeSmileys.gif

JMVHO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members