Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Investigators are confident, based on what they observed at the scene, that this was not an accident and this was not self-inflicted,” Gahler said.

Self- inflicted?

“Investigators are confident, based on what they observed at the scene, that this was not an accident and this was not self-inflicted,” Gahler said.

Self- inflicted?
As in there was very little chance she was killed by suicide.

I heard that too and it did stand out. Seemed like an interesting way to dance around time of death.
If the MA had yet to make an ID, I would assume they had yet to arrive at a concrete TOD either. I highly doubt there was any sort of second location involved or this was extraordinarily drawn out, so I would think LE misspoke. MOO.

Self- inflicted?
Aka, she didn’t complete suicide

"It's devastating. I couldn't believe it," said Kathy, who didn't provide her last name for security reasons. "It's always been safe. I've always done this trail, under the tunnel and everything. Always safe. I hope this killer is found. It's not going to be safe until they find this guy."

"For someone to grab her on the trail, I can't fathom it. For someone to take the chance she's not going to scream and hear her," said Donald Lemon, from Bel Air. "I hope the family gets justice."

The walk will be held at the Williams Street Trail entrance at 6:30 pm

I'm guessing it would be nearly impossible to have killed Rachel elsewhere, and carried her to the spot where she was found; without anyone noticing ?
So a random attacker seems more plausible.
But how brazen to do this in broad daylight, if that's how this crime happened ?
Omo.

“This is not an accidental death or an incident where she took her own life. This is foul play on the part of another,” said Harford Sheriff Jeff Gahler.

Gahler wouldn’t disclose the exact location where Morin’s body was recovered, but he said it was in the dense woods that are on either side of the walking path, which was once a railroad track.

I'm guessing it would be nearly impossible to have killed Rachel elsewhere, and carried her to the spot where she was found; without anyone noticing ?
So a random attacker seems more plausible.
But how brazen to do this in broad daylight, if that's how this crime happened ?
Omo.
Why would the lack of a second location be more indicative of a random attacker?

@Alkali13 : Not sure yet ? There are still many questions I have about this senseless crime.

I added, "...without anyone noticing ? ", so possibly either the killer was incredibly 'lucky', or knew the area well ?
Thinking outside the box for a moment.
Still on the fence if this was a perp known to the victim, or a random attacker ?
Omo.

I think one key thing to think about is that if it wasnt a random attack then it'd most likely have to be someone close enough to her to know she would be going there that day and that exact time. That is unless she always went on the same days and times and someone picked up on her schedule MOO.
Yes, and the cover photo on her Facebook is what has me a bit creeped out about this theory too! Log into Facebook

Attachments

• risk.jpg
    risk.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 87
This reminds me of the Lauren Heike case in Arizona earlier this year.
Random perp. Interestingly, DNA from Lauren's shoe matched with that of a guy on probation, and other evidence led to the killer.
No idea if this awful attack was random or not.
Senseless and tragic.....I hope the investigation catches whoever did this.

Here's hoping she was able to scratch the daylights out of someone !
Maybe pull some hair ?
Dna evidence may solve this case.
Anyone with recent scratches walking around ?
IMO, Fake nails do not scratch like real nails. One reason I dislike fake nails is bc I can't scratch an itch as well! I'm always asking my husband to scratch my back or arm. They are rounded at the edge.

I wonder how DNA left behind is impacted by real or fake nails. Does anyone know?

IMO, Fake nails do not scratch like real nails. One reason I dislike fake nails is bc I can't scratch an itch as well! I'm always asking my husband to scratch my back or arm. They are rounded at the edge.

I wonder how DNA left behind is impacted by real or fake nails. Does anyone know?

Really great point, @*LD*! They are so very different! It does look like some research has been done on the impact of fake nails and the materials used on the extraction of DNA. I found the below link, which I hope is acceptable, although it does speak to an unrelated crime. Please alert or remove if not allowed!

<MOD NOTE - The link is acceptable, but ask first, don't post first>

Foreign DNA in cosmetic gel nails

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics