Identified! MD - Woodlawn, WhtFem 279UFMD, 15-25, near cemetery, 'JP' Tattoo, Sep'76 - Margaret Fetterolf

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'll see if I can find the article. Boston police definitely don't think it's her
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wonder why the local PD doesn't think it's her? Unless they've ruled her out already. I would hope NCMEC verified that it was a valid tip before mentioning it in their video.

I'll see if I can find the article. Boston police definitely don't think it's her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure we have it in the thread. Keyword search would be Boston with your name IIRC

Post history - I don't have time to keep going.

11-17-2015, 08:13 PM #287
New from today:

"Investigators say new information suggests the young victim may be from the Forest Hills neighborhood in Boston and may have attended Jamaica Plain High School or Roslindale High School." (http://www.wcvb.com/news/police-get...-killing-after-5-investigates-report/36506096)

CarlK, I think you should go ahead and submit the young woman you found in the yearbook, if you haven't already.

12-19-2015, 02:01 AM #325

03-23-2016, 11:44 AM #382

New clues emerge in 40-year-old murder mystery By Evan Allen Globe Staff March 16, 2016

In December, after WCVB published a report on the case, detectives got another lead. A tipster told detectives that Woodlawn Jane Doe may have moved from Puerto Rico to a block of Forbes Street in Jamaica Plain with her family, including two sisters and three brothers, when she was about 6 years old. The children in the family went to a Catholic school on Wyman Street, the tipster said, according to police.

And the young woman from the family disappeared when she was 15.

Baltimore County Police spokesman Corporal John Wachter declined to release the name they are investigating but said in an e-mail that detectives have canvassed the area and have not been able to come up with a solid connection. They are working with Boston Police homicide detectives and Massachusetts State Police, he said.

03-23-2016, 10:08 PM #386
That was what the Boston police said. Maybe the Baltimore LE agency doesn't agree.

Chlorpromazine / CPZ / Thorazine - what is it?
Chlorpromazine is a tricyclic aliphatic phenothiazine which acts by postsynaptic inhibition of dopamine receptors. Chlorpromazine has other peripheral and central nervous system effects, producing both alpha adrenergic stimulation and blocking histamine- and serotonin-mediated effects. Chlorpromazine is indicated for the therapy of acute and chronic psychosis and for nausea and intractable hiccups. Chlorpromazine was approved for use in the United States in 1957 and was formerly the most commonly prescribed antipsychotic medication, being the prototypic, standard neuroleptic agent against which other antipsychotic agents were tested. In recent years, chlorpromazine has been replaced in large part by the atypical antipsychotics, which have fewer extrapyramidal and hepatic side effects. Current indications include psychotic disorders, schizophrenia, nausea and vomiting, acute intermittent porphyria and intractable hiccups. Chlorpromazine is available in multiple generic forms as tablets of 10, 25, 50, 100 and 200 mg, as extended release capsules of 200 and 300 mg, and as syrup in various concentrations. Parenteral forms are also available. Chlorpromazine was formerly available under the brand names Thorazine and Largactil. The typical maintenance dose of chlorpromazine is 100 to 200 mg daily. Common side effects include drowsiness, dizziness, headache, blurred vision, dry mouth, constipation, tremor, restlessness, muscle spasms and weight gain.

Hepatotoxicity / Injury
Liver test abnormalities have been reported to occur in up to 40% of patients on long term therapy with chlorpromazine, but elevations are uncommonly above 3 times the upper limit of normal. The aminotransferase abnormalities are usually self-limited and unaccompanied by symptoms, reversing even without discontinuation.

Chlorpromazine is also a well known cause of acute cholestatic liver injury. Numerous instances of clinically apparent acute liver injury due to chlorpromazine have been reported in the literature, which is estimated to occur in 1:500 persons exposed. Chlorpromazine was formerly the most common cause of drug induced liver injury in the United States, but with the decrease in its use, chlorpromazine associated jaundice is now rarely reported. The clinical presentation and course are well defined. The onset of jaundice is usually within 1 to 5 weeks, and the pattern of serum enzyme elevations is typically cholestatic or mixed (Case 1). Immunoallergic manifestations (fever, rash and eosinophilia) occur in some but not all cases, and these manifestations are usually mild and self-limited. Autoantibody formation is rare. Most importantly, chlorpromazine jaundice can be prolonged and associated with vanishing bile duct syndrome (Case 2).

Studies on the drug's effects:
"In early attempts to define the nature of drugs like chlorpromazine and reserpine, Delay and Deniker stressed two aspects of the drugs’ effects: the peculiar nature of the sedation, which, in contrast to barbiturates, produced a sleep from which people could be easily roused, and the state of disinterest produced by the drugs (Deniker, 1956; Delay & Deniker, 1956). They saw the motor effects as incidental rather than primary, but the sedation and indifference were also regarded as neurological effects by virtue of being induced by drug action on the brain and nervous system. In early papers, therefore, they referred to chlorpromazine as a “neuroplegic” drug (from the Greek to paralyze),2 and, in 1955, they replaced this term by the term “neuroleptic” (from the Greek to seize), still emphasizing the sedative and emotional effects of the drug, rather than its motor effects (Delay & Deniker, 1955)."

Published in 1957, along with 21 other cases: "A 26 year old woman with depression was started on chlorpromazine (75 mg/day) and developed generalized pruritus (severe itching of the skin) one week later followed by fever, nausea and dark urine. After 21 days of therapy, she was seen by her physician and chlorpromazine was stopped. There was no history of liver disease or alcohol abuse. She was jaundiced but afebrile (not feverish) and without rash. The liver was enlarged but nontender. "

An account from "David" a patient undergoing treatment for schizophrenia, prescribed CPZ noted: Largactil (CPZ's French name) which, although produces a queer sort of compulsion to do things, eliminates ambition, imagination, memory and intelligence. Nurses did not have a therapeutic role, and in the early 1960s they were not even allowed to look at the case-notes.

Uses:
- In 1952, chlorpromazine appeared on the psychiatric scene in Paris. It was more effective than any of the old drugs, including morphine and scopolamine (hyoscine) combinations, for controlling excitement and agitation, and it could relieve also psychotic symptoms, such as delusions and hallucinations. Although the psychiatric establishment received CPZ incredulously, for psychiatrists working on the front line it was a miracle drug. He (Paul Charpentier, France) found that CPZ, in the dosage of 50 to 100 mg given intravenously, produced disinterest without loss of consciousness and with only a slight tendency to sleep.
- In most patients CPZ alone, in the daily dosage of 75 mg, was sufficient for controlling behavior.
- 1964: David’s psychiatric career began after he was charged with stealing chocolate bars in a cinema. This minor misdemeanour was treated severely. He never appeared in court but was sent to a psychiatric unit for juveniles at the age of 16 in 1959. We assume he must have been behaving oddly. A year later he was in a mental hospital.
- 1970s: advertisements for many substances reflected the marketing advantages of a drug-centered model in aiming at a broad range of psychiatric situations.
- By the end of the 1970s, however, the industry appeared to have come into line with the professional view, and the drugs were mostly portrayed as specific treatments for schizophrenia with references to their drug-induced effects expunged.
- Possible recreational use, also called "Thorazine" today.

- Today (Thorazine) It can treat mental illness, behavioral disorders, tetanus, biopolar disorder, blood disorders such as porphyria, and severe nausea and vomiting. It can also reduce anxiety before surgery.

History / Timeline
- 1951: Chlorpromazine was synthesized in the laboratories of Rhône-Poiulenc.
- 1952: became available on prescription in France. Its effectiveness was reflected in the transformation of disturbed wards; its commercial success stimulated the development of other psychotropic drugs.

- Came to US in 1954 officially, but Winkelman noted that the drug was being trial in 1953 to two hundred psychiatric patients.
- Early 1960s: became popular for commercial use, treating schizophrenia in mental institutions. Both inpatient and outpatient.
- 1960s: became popular for recreational use as well

- 1970s: a drug-centered model in aiming at a broad range of psychiatric situations.
- By the end of the 1970s, the drugs were mostly portrayed as specific treatments for schizophrenia with references to their drug-induced effects expunged.

- 1980s, based on the success of CPZ, newer drugs were formulated and introduced.
- Today, CPZ is now referred to as "Thorazine", It can treat mental illness, behavioral disorders, tetanus, biopolar disorder, blood disorders such as porphyria, and severe nausea and vomiting. It can also reduce anxiety before surgery.

My own comments on the above and other things:
- I wonder if Woodlawn Jane Doe had liver damage from prolonged used? What levels were measured in her system?
- She could have been an outpatient at the time of her death, some patients could lead relatively healthy lives if they had a mental illness and was taking medications. The longer the use of CPZ, the longer the patient could last off of CPZ before relapse occurred.
- A young man named "David" referenced above was charged with stealing chocolate bars in a cinema. This minor misdemeanour was treated severely. He never appeared in court but was sent to a psychiatric unit for juveniles at the age of 16 in 1959. A year later he was in a mental hospital. Could this have happened to our Woodlawn JD?
- Could she have escaped from a juvenile psychiatric unit?
- Could she have been killed in a juvenile psychiatric unit and then dumped?
- Was she sent away to MD to a juvenile psychiatric unit? That would explain the lack of any missing persons report from the Boston area.
- Random note, but in the 1960s, Jamaica Plain High School had an agriculture course of study for 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th graders. They were allowed to work outside of school, go on field trips, etc. (From 1971 JP yearbook)

- Sheppard Prat is a psychiatric hospital located in Towson, a northern suburb of Baltimore. It has been operating for over 125 years. The 1970s, over 300 people had beds, all with a wide range of mental illnesses. They stayed there until they left or until their funding ran out. Sheppard Prat is located only 25 minutes from where Woodlawn JD was dumped.
- Justice Resource is another organization that has been helping rehabilitate youths ages 10 to 18 who have been charged with crimes since 1970. "Many of the kids who have come through the doors of Justice Resources -- which Harrison founded after coming to Baltimore in 1970 -- have been black, poor and fatherless like he was. Harrison has influence with some of them because he knows from years of personal experience what can befall children who were raised in those circumstances." Justice Resource is about 20 minutes away from where Woodlawn JD was found. JR was funded by the Department of Juvenile Services. In 2004, the DJS stopped by funding JR (1.2 million).
- Henry Phipps Psychiatric Clinic opened in 1913, regarded as "first of its kind". "Before the founding of the Phipps Psychiatric Clinic in Baltimore, Maryland, patients with severe mental disorders often went to Bellevue Hospital in New York City...HPPC record organization began in 1973, the existing records (that werent destroyed by Adolf Myers and his wife) moved from the Welch Library into storage in 1973." Where is this storage? Could it have documents pertaining to "Jasmine"?

That was super long, but I went down a few rabbit holes trying to find out why the drug CPZ was in Woodlawn JD's system.

http://www.wcvb.com/article/boston-police-join-hunt-for-woodlawn-jane-doe-s-id-killer/8229838

"This is our old neighborhood," said Boston Police Sgt. Detective Bill Doogan, who along with his partner, Detective Jack Cronin, grew up on Forbes Street in JP's Hyde Square.

It's the same street that a tipster told police was where Woodlawn Jane Doe lived, a tip that has reinvigorated the search for the killer or killers who dumped the young woman's body in Woodlawn Cemetery outside the city of Baltimore in 1976.

Her body bore evidence of being drugged and tortured.

The tip followed Karen Anderson's 5 Investigates story about the murder.

The tipster believed she had moved from Puerto Rico to Jamaica Plain, went to Blessed Sacrament Catholic School and grew up with five siblings on Forbes Street.

"What was going through my mind was, who can I call? Who do I know?" Doogan told Anderson.

They're now using their hometown knowledge and old-fashioned police work -- "foot work, gumshoe stuff," as Doogan calls it -- checking old records, including from the Blessed Sacrament school.

Investigators already had clues that placed the girl in the Boston area. A grass seed bag pulled over her head was sold in only five stores, all in Massachusetts. A piece of the bag was ripped off and stuffed down her throat.

She was carrying two keys that were likely manufactured in Massachusetts, including one marked "Fitchburg."

And recent high-tech tests of pollen on her clothing found it was rare and could only come from a site in New York or the Arnold Arboretum in Jamaica Plain.

Doogan recalled the Arboretum, or the "Arbs," as a "place for young people to hang around, just lounge around, goof off."

"You've got to believe she's from here," Doogan said. "You can never say 100 percent but it's looking more and more like this is a JP girl."

The girl had a homemade tattoo that may have been the letters J-P, possibly for Jamaica Plain. Tattoos like that were not uncommon at the time, according to Sgt Doogan.

"A lot of people had these homemade tattoos that they used to do with a pin and a ball point pen," Doogan said.

But despite their efforts so far, police haven't been able to determine her real name. If alive today she would have been between 55 and 65 years old. Massachusetts State Police are joining Boston police and the Center for Missing and Exploited Children in assisting Baltimore County Police with the case.

"Hopefully someone will know something and we can get her identity back," Detective Cronin said.

I haven't heard of the school where they thought she attended before "Blessed Sacrament Catholic School".

"After being ordaned in 1971, Walsh was assigned to Blessed Sacrament Church in Jamaica Plain until 1980, during which time the alleged abuse took place. Archdiocesan files released in January 2004 showed that Walsh had been accused of molesting a boy at this parish in 1980. The information was said to be "third hand" and Walsh denied the allegation. Walsh was cleared of the abuse allegations and relocated to St. Joseph's in Hyde Park from 1980 until 1987."

"Anonymous March 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM
I went to b.s class of 1985. Unfortunatly the thing I remember most is father walsh throwing to the ground by my hair on a class trip to washington dc for laughing with my other 7th grade classmates in the hotel room late at night. He then made us stand in his hotel room in silence as he played cards and drank moxie for over an hour until he sent us back to our room. Still bothers me to this day......."

"Anonymous August 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Fr Walsh did the same thing to me and a friend on a trip to Washington only we didn't get sent back to our room if you know what I mean."

"Anonymous August 10, 2013 at 12:22 AM
I remember Fr. Walsh with the hippie long hair. Yazmin Abejon class of 80"

"Anonymous September 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM
He wasn't a nice man at all. I've always expected to see his name on the list of abusers, but it hasn't happened yet. He was a bully and I hope some day I see him again so I can tell it to his face. Class of 85"

"touch of paprika February 28, 2016 at 2:59 PM
His name does appear on a list of abusers but two accusations were not substantiated since they were "third party" accusations. He was leicized in 2011."

"After being ordaned in 1971, Walsh was assigned to Blessed Sacrament Church in Jamaica Plain until 1980, during which time the alleged abuse took place. Archdiocesan files released in January 2004 showed that Walsh had been accused of molesting a boy at this parish in 1980. The information was said to be "third hand" and Walsh denied the allegation. Walsh was cleared of the abuse allegations and relocated to St. Joseph's in Hyde Park from 1980 until 1987."

"Anonymous March 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM
I went to b.s class of 1985. Unfortunatly the thing I remember most is father walsh throwing to the ground by my hair on a class trip to washington dc for laughing with my other 7th grade classmates in the hotel room late at night. He then made us stand in his hotel room in silence as he played cards and drank moxie for over an hour until he sent us back to our room. Still bothers me to this day......."

"Anonymous August 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Fr Walsh did the same thing to me and a friend on a trip to Washington only we didn't get sent back to our room if you know what I mean."

"Anonymous August 10, 2013 at 12:22 AM
I remember Fr. Walsh with the hippie long hair. Yazmin Abejon class of 80"

"Anonymous September 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM
He wasn't a nice man at all. I've always expected to see his name on the list of abusers, but it hasn't happened yet. He was a bully and I hope some day I see him again so I can tell it to his face. Class of 85"

"touch of paprika February 28, 2016 at 2:59 PM
His name does appear on a list of abusers but two accusations were not substantiated since they were "third party" accusations. He was leicized in 2011."

It's helpful if you post the link to where you're quoting.
Remember Jamaica Plain?

I know this has probably been discussed before, but it seems odd that her killer(s) would redress her after assaulting her. Poor girl. What appalling sickos.

http://www.wcvb.com/article/boston-police-join-hunt-for-woodlawn-jane-doe-s-id-killer/8229838

And recent high-tech tests of pollen on her clothing found it was rare and could only come from a site in New York or the Arnold Arboretum in Jamaica Plain.

That is absolutely fascinating! So she's most definitely from the Jamaica Plain area.

If they know what schools she attended can't they check school records? Especially since they have a street name that should narrow it down you'd think. I wonder who the tipster was. My guess is an old neighbor.

A question I have is why some exclusions on NamUs for her would have been in their 50's/60's in 1976. Her estimated age is 15-30 years old which put her possible birth year as 1946-1961.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/1895
That's what I'd want to know too, but I've seen stranger things than that on NamUs. I remember seeing female exclusions on male remains and I was wondering why it was necessary to put something so obvious on the exclusion list.

That's what I'd want to know too, but I've seen stranger things than that on NamUs. I remember seeing female exclusions on male remains and I was wondering why it was necessary to put something so obvious on the exclusion list.

I almost wonder if they are from mass exclusions, like a DNA sample is compared through the computer to all UID in a certain system. that's the only thing that makes sense. DNA testing can be such intricate work, and I don't see a lab tech wasting their time on an obvious mismatch.

Wow a female was in the male exclusions? They would have been crazy if it was a match! They do get gender wrong sometimes.

*dreamlike music*

I wish when people submitted their DNA to Ancestry, it could be checked for a familial match against NAMUS.

If there's some other compelling reason, they will look at a match just in case. Unless they have a DNA sex determination, the skeletal markers can be wrong. And age is even harder.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

NCMEC/Help ID ME FaceBook video:

https://www.facebook.com/HelpIDMe/videos/1750356761658890/

It mentions she may have lived on Forbes St. Has anyone checked out census data for that time/area, or a city directory?
They think her name might have been Jasmine, which wasn't a very common name back then, that I recall.

Here's a post from earlier with excerpts from an article about the investigation: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...tery-JP-Tattoo-Sep-76&p=13160207#post13160207

The last report on the Boston local news a few weeks back was that they hadn't had any luck locating the family.

Cayleigh Elise profiled this case.

[video=youtube;f43SrPbHlzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f43SrPbHlzw[/video]

I know that they did pollen analysis on her, but I wonder if they're going to do isotope testing on her as well.

I don't know if I have mentioned this, but there is a group on facebook for people who lived in JP, I've posted on there before but I'm thinking of doing it again to see if anyone pipes up.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck
Back