Identified! MD - Woodlawn, WhtFem 279UFMD, 15-25, near cemetery, 'JP' Tattoo, Sep'76 - Margaret Fetterolf

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Was thinking about the crude tattoo on her arm, maybe it was JD, maybe someone who drank nicknamed himself jack daniels?

I would like to see this post become active again. Has anybody been submitted? I would place less emphasis on the widows peak.....when I comb my hair kind of flipped back I have one, but when I comb my hait to be straight down you can not tell it. Hers may be the same way.

:bump: for image revision.

d73036d6-7dd6-40cf-a84b-cec08affe670.jpg

The yearbook lead never really panned out, did it?

I presume you mean the girl in the Jamaica Plains HS yearbook. I never was able to even figure out what her name is. And I never received a reply from Lt. Jacoby. So this one is still unresolved one way or the other AFAIK.

After sending a pm to another poster, I can only add info about the necklace. I had one just like it in the late 60s-early 70s. I bought in a French Quarter import shop, & I used it as a keychain, not a necklace. The bead was either from India or Middle East, either turquoise or lapis, cannot remember which. I had my house key strung on it with a small totemic pewter bear. Considering the time period, she probably bought hers at a similar shop somewhere. Lost mine..along with key. Left it in a bathroom on campus.

As I understand it, the bead was just a cheap variety and was painted a turquoise color.

The interesting thing about the necklace is that the shoe that was found next to her body was laced with binding twine. So it's possible that the rawhide lace from the shoe was used to make the necklace.

Was the Tattoo professionally done? Or was it just a needle and ink type? Women with tats were far less common in that time period than they are now. Also, I think Donamena is very correct about the time frame in which that type of necklace was popular. I can remember several of my sisters friends wearing the rawhide with a bead during the early 70's. Does anybody know if any of the sites show pics of the tat? It is described as being "possibly" two letters....JP.....

The tattoo was very crude, and the letters were barely discernible. It looked more like scar tissue from the letters being scratched into her skin, rather than an ink tattoo.

Tattoos: She had what appeared to be the letters of either "JP", "JS","JD", "JB", or SP", "SS", "SD", "SB", crudely tattooed on her right arm, just below the shoulder.

I copied this from one of the Doe network links posted on the first page of this thread. Since it is described as a crude tattoo and not a wound then this area must have had time to heal. I wish somebody had posted a photo of the tattoo.....even if crudely done.....

I came across some possibilities: I think this could be Deborah Lowe 1673DFFL. There are also: Dorthy Clitheroe 932DFAZ, Jamie Grissin 1375DFFL, Debra Pscholka 889DFCA or Kathy Wilcox 1367DFMI. Does anyone know if these girls have been compared?

Deborah Lowe is my sister, both the pics you see in my signature were taken right before she vanished. I just wanted to say I appreciate that you noticed the resemblance to this missing girl and my sister......and while her appearance would have certainly been changed in the 4 yrs between her disappearance and this discovery....it is not her. But Thank you for your keen eye!!

You know if you think about the Tattoo angle if she was with John Schaefer this could be the "JS" If they "married" or he claimed her as his wife this could be the "SS" Sue Schaefer. Are you going to submit?

That is very true, if she was with John Gerard Schaefer that carving could have been one of his ideas of a cruel joke. That monster had no conscious and seems to pop up everywhere. It would be unusual for him to have placed a body where it could have been discovered so easily. Many of his victims still have not been located. The being tied upright is certainly one of his trademarks......he tied his victims to trees. However the estimated timeline of her death rules him out.....He was already locked up before she was killed.

Tattoos: She had what appeared to be the letters of either "JP", "JS","JD", "JB", or SP", "SS", "SD", "SB", crudely tattooed on her right arm, just below the shoulder.

I copied this from one of the Doe network links posted on the first page of this thread. Since it is described as a crude tattoo and not a wound then this area must have had time to heal. I wish somebody had posted a photo of the tattoo.....even if crudely done.....

Here's a photo of the tattoo from the AMW write-up.

I adjusted the contrast as best as I could. I also put in the magnifying glass, and outlined the tattoo in red as it appears to me. I am pretty sure the first letter is a "J". I think the second letter is "P", but it might be a "B".

attachment.php

Here's the AMW write-up.
http://www.amw.com/features/woodlawn-jane-doe/?refresh=1

Attachments

• Woodlawn JP Tattoo.jpg
    Woodlawn JP Tattoo.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 398
Thank You very much CarlK90245 for the link and the photo.To say that is crude puts it mildly. Surely they did a texture test to see if that made it any clearer. The first letter most certainly looks like a J to me also. The fact that she was assaulted with a blunt object shows a great deal of rage. Or, as in Schaefers case a great deal of deprivation. The cut out nose and eye holes were most likely done to ensure she could see him, but he did not have to see her face. IMO it is highly unlikely this would have been his only victim. He put to much effort into this killing to not have enjoyed it. It would not surprise me to find that he had her for awhile or that he is the one who did the tattoo as a way of marking his property. I can't think of any serial killers who carved or tattooed initials on his victims, but many of them change one of two details from time to time. I am sure somebody has already researched it......but no harm looking again. I do not think she was from that area, or perhaps even that vicinity. Someone would have read the story in the newspaper and remembered Ms. X from down the street or anyplace close and would have called in. One thing my sisters case taught me is that people from that era did try to help, they spoke up when they noticed things, and as pretty as she was......she would have gotten notice.
I disagree with the idea that she would have been stocky built or big boned.....my sister was 5'6"-5'8".......125-130lbs with a 36C bra size at age 13. She was not at all heavy or stocky. Different people carry weight differently. In her Morgue photo I saw nothing in her facial features to indicate heavy or stocky.

I don't see the tattoo AT ALL. I know that's not helpful but maybe it's a birthmark or a childhood scar?? But tattoo?? Far from it, IMO.

I agree it is not what came to mind when I saw the word tattoo. It looks more like something branded on or carved in to create a scar effect. It appears to me as if scar tissue is present which steers me away from a birthmark.....which was why I wondered if they used a dark powder to texture test it and see if it showed more clearly. I just can't shake the feeling that she was with him for awhile.

Here's a photo of the tattoo from the AMW write-up.

I adjusted the contrast as best as I could. I also put in the magnifying glass, and outlined the tattoo in red as it appears to me. I am pretty sure the first letter is a "J". I think the second letter is "P", but it might be a "B".

attachment.php

Here's the AMW write-up.
http://www.amw.com/features/woodlawn-jane-doe/?refresh=1

I'm sorry that I doubt the Medical Examiner's findings, but this looks like an inoculation/small pox vaccination scar to me, especially the location of where it was, really makes me wonder.... My baby sister picked at the site of hers, and to this day it looks like an "S" and hers is on her right shoulder and mine is on the left, but she is left-handed so maybe that's why my sister's scar is on her right. Maybe this Jane was left-handed as well....

Another note; I wonder if she could have been an early victim of Robert Ben Rhoades... http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/...f-serial-killer-robert-ben-rhoades/index.html

Another note; I wonder if she could have been an early victim of Robert Ben Rhoades... http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/...f-serial-killer-robert-ben-rhoades/index.html

I am very glad you mentioned him. Was there not also another serial killer who drove a truck cross country? It seems to me as if he drove a refrigerated truck. I have been trying and trying to remember his name......the last account we had of him he was in a Nevada prison......Anybody out there remember his name?

I think it is very possible she could have been one of his earlier victims.....the report does not list that she had been tortured, but I am not sure they would have put that info out there for the public to see. While reading the link you posted above it mentioned that police had found pictures of unidentified young women in his possession, did LE ever publish those pics? If not I wonder if they'd consider doing so now?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JDeWalt
Back