ME ME - Ayla Reynolds, 20 mnths, Waterville, 17 December 2011 - # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/Busi ... nolds.html
Businesses step up in search for Ayla Reynolds

One of the companies, Central Maine Disposal in Fairfield, provided six paid employees to the search Thursday, president Mickey Wing said.

It was the second day of searching for Wing’s staff. He estimates he is spending “a few thousand dollars” per day in labor fees.

Four truck drivers inspected all trash receptacles owned by the company — nearly 600 in all — on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Their inspections included ripping open every trash bag for a close look at the contents.

“We searched every can that we dumped, and every load that has gone to the landfill has been searched as well,” he said.

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/Busi ... nolds.html
At least 14 local companies have pitched in

It all began Monday, when two fellow employees of Best Western Plus learned that searchers had no refreshments or food.

On Tuesday, Hatch began calling local grocers and restaurants to ask for assistance. Those businesses were eager, she said, because people feel the need to do something.

On Thursday, the daily buffet that included support from Big G’s, The Corner Store in Oakland, Dunkin’ Donuts, Governor’s Restaurant, Hannaford, Papa John’s Pizza, Red Barn, Sam’s Pizza, Subway, Tim Hortons, Walmart and Wendy’s moved from Mathews Road to Head of Falls off Front Street. Hatch estimates that more than $1,000 in food is being donated every day.

Dave Martin is president of Dirigo Search and Rescue, one of 15 volunteer groups affiliated with the Maine Association of Search and Rescue. Six of those groups have been assisting in the search for Reynolds.

Martin said 18 members Maine Association of Search and Rescue volunteers searched on Thursday, along with 11 civilian volunteers.

Gormely said the volunteer searchers are most deserving of the food that area businesses provide.

Thanks for your help, fellow sleuthers. It is bedtime for me. Lots of Christmas/family things to attend to tomorrow.

I hope tomorrow is the day sweet Ayla is found!:seeya:

Good questions:
1.) How many lives could have been (could be) saved if age requirement was modified?
2.) Why is there an age requirement? (Possibly due to your proposed answer above?)

I remember this in the news, they were even driving from other states to leave kids!

Answer to#2
" A 17-year-old boy left at an Omaha hospital is the 24th child to be abandoned under the state's much-criticized safe-haven law, which lawmakers hope to change next month."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/30/national/main4559031.shtml

Wouldn't an airport want to be able to see vehicles coming and going on access roads as well as the runways, in case of an "incident"? Seems like it would be a good idea, anyway...

I really really hope someone is not watching all of this expense and effort, both from LE and local businesses, etc. knowing all along where Ayla is, but I think this is absolutely the case. This baby did not take off for a latenight stroll.

Just a thought to mods to consider & give guidance; given the house is a crime scene, white boots, cadaver dogs, DA out there...would you think it is now appropriate to loosen the ties on the father? :innocent:

Given the latest developments that Dee outlined above, it is indeed appropriate that we loosen the reins a tiny bit about sleuthing Ayla's father. It may be helpful for our work to better understand things like his employment history, living arrangements, and such.

Please note the following boundaries:

- No outright accusations will be tolerated. This man is still a victim as far as WS is concerned. By all accounts, he was not alone in the house the night Ayla went missing.

- Standard rules apply as regards bringing social media site quotes here. It's ok to direct readers to interesting posts, but sharing links or copying and pasting comments is a :nono: . At this time, WS considers posts on social media sites such as FB and others to be rumors.

- If you are uncomfortable with another sleuther's post, please alert on it immediately. Do not respond directly.

- If you are even a teensy bit unsure if it's ok to post something you have found out, please PM a mod before putting it on the boards.

Please thank this post to let us know you have read and understood the above.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/2 ... 66149.html

Ayla Reynolds Missing: Tape Placed Around Home Where Maine Toddler Lived With Father

Investigators put up crime-scene tape around the home of a 20-month-old girl who's been missing since last weekend and two of the state's top homicide prosecutors were called to the house Thursday as the search for her entered its sixth day.

But Waterville Police Chief Joseph Massey insisted that Ayla Reynolds' disappearance remains a missing child case, that "everything remains open and we're not discounting anything."

Massey told reporters that the investigation is now focused on an expanded search of the house in a neighborhood of neatly kept tract homes.

"That is the last place Ayla was seen. So as you might, expect we're going to give a lot of attention to that particular house, looking for any clues where she might be or where it would help us to locate her," Massey said. "We need to go through that as thoroughly as we can, just like we do in any other investigation."

He said officials from the state attorney general's office, including criminal division chief William Stokes, were at the house, but that was just to give them an opportunity to look at the site.

"We're at a point where we thought it was appropriate for him to come in and just do a walk-through," Massey said.

Okay...this may sound O/T...but I was looking at the google map again to jar my brain for new thoughts...so here is a stab. Please don't throw tomatoes at me!

I see there are two hospitals close to dad's home: Maine General Hospital and Inland Hospital. What are the legalities of anonymously dropping off young children at hospitals by people who cannot take care of them?

I know the hospital where my daughter got her broken ankle taken care of had a sign on the front regarding "This Hsopital is a Safe Place to Bring Children" (of course I don't know the exact wording). I asked the nurses if I could leave my daughter there...but they said 22 year olds are too old!

We were just kidding of course...I adore my now 23 year old "baby"!:great:
SNORT!!!:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::crazy::great:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/2 ... 66149.html

Ayla Reynolds Missing: Tape Placed Around Home Where Maine Toddler Lived With Father

That last statement you copied, about it being time for a walk-thru, is just beyond comprehension to me. I have to assume he is covering up the real reason; if not, is this incrediby inept? Wouldn't the time to examine the home forensically be as soon as the child is known to be gone? You could still have your searchers outside, I assume they are not the same people...

Okay...this may sound O/T...but I was looking at the google map again to jar my brain for new thoughts...so here is a stab. Please don't throw tomatoes at me!

I see there are two hospitals close to dad's home: Maine General Hospital and Inland Hospital. What are the legalities of anonymously dropping off young children at hospitals by people who cannot take care of them?

I know the hospital where my daughter got her broken ankle taken care of had a sign on the front regarding "This Hospital is a Safe Place to Bring Children" (of course I don't know the exact wording). I asked the nurses if I could leave my daughter there...but they said 22 year olds are too old!

We were just kidding of course...I adore my now 23 year old "baby"!:great:

iirc the safe haven laws, which originally did NOT include an age parameter, found themselves with a lot of parents with bad-*advertiser censored* teens, trying to drop them off! lol. However since then, I believe the guidleines have been more specific as to include merely an infant of up to one month old -seems mostly aimed at those inclined to abandon or discard their child, i.e. toss their baby in a garbage can or something like that.

He's not talking about the forensic folks, though, is he? Isn't he talking about prosecutors and the criminal investigation chief? I got the impression they were showing the "big bosses" what had been done, and the big bosses were suggesting what else could be done? (Or maybe it's just PR to show that the state is "vitally interested" in the case?)

I wish it wasn't the case that children have to be under a certain age to use the option of dropping them at a safe place...I wonder if any lives might have been saved if otherwise. I think a lot of young mothers who have issues don't want the stigma of having given away a child, but might do so if they felt they could do it anonymously and not answer a lot of questions. I wonder why there IS an age limit, which varies by state. I hope it is not because the system is not equipped to handle as many children as might be "turned in" but fear that could be the reason...

I totally agree with you... and also believe that parents need to be held accountable, and therefore, we can't leave an, "open invitation" to drop off kids when the going gets rough. I think that 30 days is too little time (honeymoon phase) and anything beyond that, the parents need to be held ACCOUNTABLE -not protected. There are many LEGAL and SAFE ways to absolve yourself form your child. It's up to the parent to do so. steep order? Yeah, in some cases. The threat of consequences also promotes some parents to step up to the plate and take care of business. I think at the end of the day, most people are not evil baby killers, and have someone in their lives (like it or not) who will help them to place a child as warranted.

It would be interesting to see statistics about those that otherwise murdered their, for example, 2 mth old, due to not being eligible for the safe haven law...probably very, very few.

In this case, IMO, the father is culpable. Those that want revenge or want control, or possession...wouldn't eve consider a safe haven too much ego there.

What pisses me off is taht time after time, I keep finding myself saying that, "surely it was an accident and ensuing cover-up." But at this point... month after month...Lisa I, Sky M,...now Ayla... I am starting to believe that there are truly evil, warped, selfish, vindictive persons among us. So screwed up!

Thanks for looking up the law for me. I had a feeling "almost two year" olds might be too old for ME's abandonment statute. And, I imagine that the hospital would be aware of any missing child cases like Ayla's, and there would be some type of reporting protocol.

I am back to putting my "thinking cap" on.....

Why would the Dad need to abandon a child that has a mother and grandparents who love her?

I'm puzzled how that would change anything in this case. This child was supposedly in the home when it happened.

I guess what I'm saying is that lots of parents who harm or neglect a child are the last people who would give up custody. On the contrary ~ they think they have a right to do anything they want to their offspring because they have custody.

*thinking about the guy who just duct-taped his daughter and put it on Facebook, for instance. Would a law for older kids to be dropped off at a hospital help that child? Not really, it seems to me. Her father was going to do whatever he wanted to do, and didn't see anything wrong with it.

That last statement you copied, about it being time for a walk-thru, is just beyond comprehension to me. I have to assume he is covering up the real reason; if not, is this incrediby inept? Wouldn't the time to examine the home forensically be as soon as the child is known to be gone? You could still have your searchers outside, I assume they are not the same people...

--at least we DO know that LE has kept the house "secured" since monent ONE---keeping an officer overnight since Dec.17th, and not allowing the family/occupants back in.

--i assume that they did do some forensics initially---( as they did in the baby lisa case ) in the bedroom the child "went disappeared" from..(?)

--i would really like to hear something from the grandma and auntie that live at that house..

--when Chief Massey was asked today "when was the last time a non family member saw ayla?"

http://www.wmtw.com/video/30057193/detail.html
UNCUT: Thursday News Conference On Missing Toddler

--@ approx.4:45

--Chief--"uhh, i'm not going to go into that."

--why? why not say that everyone at the house that night SAW her?

--hmmmm...

Does anyone know the last time someone other than a person living in the "household" confirmed that they saw little Ayla? Are we sure that Ayla wasn't missing days before the father reported it to LE? I'm sure the doctor may have been questioned by LE, regarding the last time Ayla was examined...

This is something that worries me, because not only would it be harder to find evidence in the landfill, but the perp may have had plenty of time to cover up any trails that were left behind. I feel the same way about a few of the other current "baby vanishes into thin air" cases. There has to be a reason why these innocent little angels (Lisa, Aliayah, Jhessey, Sky, Bianca, Joshua, and now Ayla) are not being found! My heart breaks knowing that at this moment, they should all be excited, and anxiously awaiting a visit from Santa Claus. :sheesh:

Praying for Ayla, and all the other missing children! Wishing for Christmas miracles... :candle:

cluciano, I agree. And I think you are right about the age limits in some states for safe haven protection. You remind me of the Nebraska case where a father whose wife had died dropped off 9 children at a hospital. They were ages 1 to 17. Article here.

Though it appears that ME's law hasn't changed since 2001, pre-dating this 2008 incident, you may well be correct about why some states have strict safe haven limits... Surely in this case, expanding the age range up to say three, might have made a big difference for Ayla and her family... :(

Father Who Ditched Nine Kids Via Safe Haven Law Has Twins on the Way
Nebraska changed the law to infants up to 30 days old after that. Interesting article regarding this father. His girlfriend is expecting twins now.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529597,00.html

Seems like even a small private airport would have plenty of cameras too, no?

You would think... but I would think that smaller airports would also have security... but my eyes were opened.
We have 3 fairly close to our house. My kids are very into airplanes... and we went to them on a weekly basis for years... more often if the kids were sick and we couldn't go somewhere else.

I could literally drive into the runway at these smaller airports. Literally. I watched someone do it unintentionally once.
You could go out and go right up to the planes and no one was going to say anything to you.
We literally sat on the closed runway #1, to watch pilots we knew land on runway #4 sometimes. It was crazy.

I don't recall ever seeing cameras. I am betting that the bigger companies themselves at the smaller airports had them.
(Because I know the owner was rather uptight.) :crazy: But the airports themselves?? I'm not so optimistic.

http://www.necn.com/12/22/11/Day-6-of-s ... eedID=4206

Day 6 of search for missing Maine toddler ends

Just outside the yellow tape that now circles the house where Ayla Reynolds was last seen, a growing collection of balloons, stuffed animals and candles lit by strangers who now feel connected to the little girl missing for almost a week.

aylashouse.jpg

--article & video @ link--

Reporter--"evidence techs seen all day and through the night coming out w/ paper evidence bags..going in w/ evidence collection kits.."

techsinbootsayla.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members