Found Deceased ME - Gerry Largay, 66, Appalachian Trail, 21 July 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
3500 feet east of the eastern shore of Reddington Pond puts her remains about 1500 feet from the closest point to the AT ,the way I look at it..the numbers that are being released by different sources differ so my calulations are going to be off depending on which numbers you use.. I see they also say 3000 feet off of the AT ..

Wardens say near the skeletal remains were several pieces of clothing and belongings consistent with items known to be in Largay’s possession. The remains were located west of the Maine Public Reserve Land that contains a portion of the Appalachian Trail (AT) and about 3,500 feet east of the easterly shore of Redington Pond. The remains will be examined to determine the cause of death although investigators do not believe foul play is involved at this time. from WCSH

They found her!!! I'm so glad there'll be closure!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Note: These are not direct quotes, but rather my own interpretation.

In the PC the Warden said a man found the remains while he was surveying the dense timber for ecological reasons. There had been three previous searches near and around the area where the remains were found. They were awaiting medical examiner's results for cause of death before they can officially rule out foul play. He also said that her personal belongings were gathered up which may hold clues as to why or what caused her to veer off the trail. He cautioned though that they had been in the weather for two years and may not hold any evidence. Her family has been notified and have requested privacy for now. They may want to hold a news conference later.

No she wasn't, however she wasn't found far from 4x4 trails. It looks like she was found in a ravine due east of Mt. Abraham. My "B" marker is where I believe she was discovered. It may have been that she accidentally got on a 4x4 trail thinking it was the AT.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.98344...344,-70.40447,6.3 km WxNW of Mount Abraham ME

Looking at the map you posted, I agree with your assessment and can see where she could have mistaken the 4x4 trail for the AT. I hope while they are doing their investigation, they take a close look at the AT in that area and update all of the guide markings so this should not happen again to another AT hiker.

One of the things I remember from the press conference was an answer in relation to a question wherein the Warden said that yes there were no trespassing signs posted in that area.
So, why would she continue in that direction if she saw the signs rather than turning around and retracing her steps?

Same reason she kept going without seeing the "blaze" on the trees..she was lost and just maybe she felt by going on posted property she would come across another person or shelter ( it was raining that day I think). It was mentioned earlier that there were ATV trails throughout the area so maybe she had hoped to get her bearings by coming across a landmark (lake,park,etc).

Even though we knew this was the most likely outcome, it is still so sad to know for sure. I'm glad for the family's sake that Gerry will be brought home and laid to rest. I just pray that she did not suffer in the end.

Of course there's also a part of me that wants to track down all those Facebook and Twitter commenters who were so sure George had harmed her and say "I told you so!" I never for one moment thought he (or anyone else for that matter) hurt Gerry.

RIP my friend!

How very sad. I wonder... did she fall and hurt herself? And then was unable to get help? Or get lost and have a medical emergency? Either way, I hope she did not suffer long. She had accomplished a good part of her dream of hiking the AT ~ something many of us will never do (or think of doing).

RIP, Inchworm.

My summary of what I have read about Gerry and my tribute to her life

I didn't know about this remarkable lady and her hike across the entire Appalachian Trail until today, when I read that her remains have been found in a Navy remote training ground, 3500 ft. off the trail.
Gerry was known as a strong and determined hiker. She was level- headed and accomplished joyful victories in her hikes. She had many passions in life, especially for helping others, but this was her gift to her own body, mind and soul- her hiking.

Several things went " wrong" for Gerry when she disappeared from the Appalachian Trail in Maine, in retrospect, with 20/20 hindsight. First, she left her safety beacon at her hotel. If she was alert when she became lost in the thick trees and other heavy vegetation growth, the beacon's transmitter could have helped rescuers find her in a short time. Secondly, she continued her trek solo that day at the age of 66 after her hiking partner had to leave suddenly because of a family emergency. Thirdly, although text messages were sent to her cell phone, there was never any response. Was she already dead? Or without cell coverage? Or was there a sinister reason, if she was, God forbid, abducted?

Her autopsy is pending. Obviously, we WSers all know what little remains were likely found at this date in an area with lots of wild animals. While we will perhaps never know, I hope that Gerry had a sudden, solitary medical incident such as a TIA or other disorienting sudden illness, such as a cardiac event. I know we all want to know whether she veered off the trail of her own accord, or was taken off the trail in a criminal act by a stranger, but I don't know that we can know at this point unless the bones show that sort of instrumental injuries.
I pray for the sake of her family that a sudden medical event such as would cause disorientation or a sudden drop in reasoning skills took her quickly.

I have read many articles about her life today, and she was a nurse who had retired 2 years previously and she lived in a lovely area of the greater Nashville area suburbs in Brentwood, TN. By all accounts, Gerry had a lovely life which had always been FULL of adventure and was a very beloved lady.
She had two beloved adult children, a daughter who was turning 35, and an adult son.
She had a husband of 45 years, George, who loved her and was her devoted traveling ( but not hiking) companion on her journey. George was called her " Sherpa" to her nickname " Inchworm". She called herself this because, like many of us who are nurses, we sustain back injuries due to the nature of our profession, and she had back pain, thus was unable to carry the regular backpack and load of supplies that most other long distance campers/ hikers carried.

This is the article that told me how utterly inefficient scent dogs are, how unreliable and useless they were in finding Gerry. I think this is something we need to keep in mind when we are reading or searching for a lost person and we are told " The dogs searched that area".

https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazin...just-vanish/CkjirwQF7RGnw4VkAl6TWM/story.html

I know you are resting in peace now, dear sister nurse and fellow southern lady.

I am saying prayers for the peace of mind and well- being of her family and her many friends. Over 700 people attended her memorial service held a short time after her disappearance. This is a woman who was truly loved, and whose life mattered a great deal. God bless them ALL at this time of almost certainly knowing without a doubt that she is gone from this life they walked through together.

I've come to this thread having just seen an article in the DM. What's this about a naval base?

(Angelmom, hope you're ok :( )

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GFinder
Back