Found Deceased ME - Gerry Largay, 66, Appalachian Trail, 21 July 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Same reason she kept going without seeing the "blaze" on the trees..she was lost and just maybe she felt by going on posted property she would come across another person or shelter ( it was raining that day I think). It was mentioned earlier that there were ATV trails throughout the area so maybe she had hoped to get her bearings by coming across a landmark (lake,park,etc).

[video=youtube;xGOiRhzbaTI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGOiRhzbaTI[/video]

Thank you for this intriguing article...

I have yet to finish it as I have a commitment....But I am going to soon...

One thing, so far, that stands out to me is the mysterious phone call George received soon before Gerry disappeared...

The phone call,IMO, has not been adequately explained...at least not in this article....

JMO...

Thank you for this intriguing article...

I have yet to finish it as I have a commitment....But I am going to soon...

One thing, so far, that stands out to me is the mysterious phone call George received soon before Gerry disappeared...

The phone call,IMO, has not been adequately explained...at least not in this article....

JMO...

I found it to be an interesting article as well. And I often wonder about the phone call. Just seems fishy that a call like that came in and then Geraldine is nowhere to be found.... Maybe there's more to it, but authorities are playing it down. I think the warden said they do know who made the call. Would love to know who did. So far, they haven't said. The caller told the motel worker that Geraldine was going to be delayed and to tell her husband that. Seems like someone did not want people to worry that Gerry hadn't shown up when she was supposed to. Maybe to buy time??? The call has always bothered me and IMO there may be more to it than we are being told. I hope to someday have the answer.

I found it to be an interesting article as well. And I often wonder about the phone call. Just seems fishy that a call like that came in and then Geraldine is nowhere to be found.... Maybe there's more to it, but authorities are playing it down. I think the warden said they do know who made the call. Would love to know who did. So far, they haven't said. The caller told the motel worker that Geraldine was going to be delayed and to tell her husband that. Seems like someone did not want people to worry that Gerry hadn't shown up when she was supposed to. Maybe to buy time??? The call has always bothered me and IMO there may be more to it than we are being told. I hope to someday have the answer.

The fact that the phone call is so mysterious... and that the information surrounding it seems to be intentionally vague (IMO)... leads me to believe it could have a very important part in Gerry going missing...

All.. JMO....

The fact that the phone call is so mysterious... and that the information surrounding it seems to be intentionally vague (IMO)... leads me to believe it could have a very important part in Gerry going missing...

All.. JMO....

Yes, IHAVENOCLUE, that is my thinking on the call as well. Would also like to hear what was/was not found with Geraldine to see what could possibly be missing. If that call hadn't been made, I would assume she died of natural causes. My brain keeps me thinking someone was involved because of it. (Call). But that's just my opinion.

I just wanted to add my condolences to Inchworm's family and friends. I so wished this had turned out differently.

Gerry is a woman to be admired. She had a dream and she lived it. She trained for it. I love how she had the guts to go for it. She passed in a truly beautiful place; definitely God's country. As her husband said, she was doing what she absolutely wanted to do. Gerry, you will be remembered!

Hiker, 66, found dead on Appalachian Trail nearly two years after she vanished took a wrong turn before dying of exposure and lack of food and water

Geraldine Largay from Brentwood, Tennessee, vanished on July 23, 2013

Remains were found on October 16, three miles from were she disappeared

Officials have confirmed her identity and said her death was accidental

Maine Warden Service hopes the discovery brings 'closure' to the family

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-exposure-lack-food-water.html#ixzz3qMJtlpjS

Hiker, 66, found dead on Appalachian Trail nearly two years after she vanished took a wrong turn before dying of exposure and lack of food and water

Geraldine Largay from Brentwood, Tennessee, vanished on July 23, 2013

Remains were found on October 16, three miles from were she disappeared

Officials have confirmed her identity and said her death was accidental

Maine Warden Service hopes the discovery brings 'closure' to the family

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-exposure-lack-food-water.html#ixzz3qMJtlpjS

This is what breaks my heart. There's never a shortage of food and water in these mountains, unless you don't know what you are looking for. As long as I had a tool to dig with, I would eat. :(

This is what breaks my heart. There's never a shortage of food and water in these mountains, unless you don't know what you are looking for. As long as I had a tool to dig with, I would eat. :(

Absolutely, Tulessa. I just don't understand how someone who did so much training and research about living on the trail ended up like this. And it was summer.... I would like to hear an accounting of what was and was not found at her "campsite". Was there packaging there from her food supplies, or were her provisions missing? It worries me that soldiers were participating in a survival excercise closeby. They're put out in the woods with NOTHING. I pray I am wrong. Just had to voice it because its been bothering me for awhile.

I guess it's good to know the details of her demise for the sake of any possible future searches, but it was so sad to read that she may have suffered so long waiting to be rescued.

I wonder how much provisions she still had since she was on her last leg of the hike?

I hope they have now clearly re-marked the main A-Trail and clearly blocked access to this "tote" trail from any future hikers with a fence or something.

I find it hard to believe that she was camped along a logging road that was shown on maps but wasn't searched......one could see how she might have followed that road by mistake thinking she was on the AT.They said it intersected the AT twice and she had a map yet couldn't get back to the trail. She was 2 miles off the AT .She should have survived at least 3 days ,probably longer. She had a whistle, as I wonder if it was on her body when found...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There's not as much in the northern mountains, and since she was getting ready to meet her support person to get resupplied, she was quite likely carrying very little food at that point. It's one way through hikers reduce the weight they have to carry.

Poor woman.

Just saw S (eason) 2 E (pisode) 9 of North Woods Law and had forgotten that they'd also helped search for Gerry Largay. It was on again today. I don't know if it's available online but wanted to let everyone know. It's a Maine Wildlife LE Reality show.

Cameras actually film a good part of the search and it's absolutely beautiful. My prayer is that Gerry got lost, set up camp and fell asleep that night with plans to double back in the morning, but due to some medical event just went to sleep. She was too seasoned a hiker. The trail was absolutely breathtaking and she knew her husband was paralleling her travels. She was too young, but she was doing what she loved and was loved dearly.
I do, however, wish that she'd had her 'Spot' with her for signaling. They found it in the hotel room with the rest of her stuff. Because then we'd know for sure. And that would give comfort and peace to her family.

Cameras actually film a good part of the search and it's absolutely beautiful. My prayer is that Gerry got lost, set up camp and fell asleep that night with plans to double back in the morning, but due to some medical event just went to sleep. She was too seasoned a hiker. The trail was absolutely breathtaking and she knew her husband was paralleling her travels. She was too young, but she was doing what she loved and was loved dearly.
I do, however, wish that she'd had her 'Spot' with her for signaling. They found it in the hotel room with the rest of her stuff. Because then we'd know for sure. And that would give comfort and peace to her family.
What hotel room are you referring to?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Memez411