ME - Lewiston, Mass Shooting, Multiple Scenes, 18 killed *shooter found dead* Oct 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Updates from news conference currently underway:
  • Governor starting conference
  • Nationwide and international media in attendance
  • Shelter-in-place lifted prior to announcement of mass murder suspect (RC) found deceased
  • Hugs at podium, cross departmental reps
  • President informed
  • Details forthcoming shortly from LE
  • No longer a threat

From news conference
  • Now it's time to heal (governor)
  • Tonight city of Lewiston and state of Maine start moving forward to heal (governor)
  • "Robert Card is dead!" (governor)
  • Thanking community, feels sigh of relief (LE)
  • Work is not done (LE)
  • Not forgetting families grieving (LE)
  • The threat is over (LE)

Updates from news conference currently underway:
  • Governor starting conference
  • Nationwide and international media in attendance
  • Shelter-in-place lifted prior to announcement of mass murder suspect (RC) found deceased
  • Hugs at podium, cross departmental reps
  • President informed
  • Details forthcoming shortly from LE
  • No longer a threat
It sounds like they won't be giving many details tonight -- how he was found, how long ago he died, etc.

I'm glad that this is over as far as the immediate danger, but I'm sad for those who lost loved ones, including RC's son. Hoping that there is information that comes out eventually as to why he did this. Mental health, anger, jealousy, or just plain evil? People want answers and not rumors. They deserve some sort of closure.
JMO

From news conference:
  • Victims' families were notified prior to conference
  • Suspect's family also notified ahead of conference (some were very helpful during investigation)
  • Body found at 745pm E
  • Much more work to be done
  • Can't answer detailed questions
  • No indications of accomplices
  • Looking at video evidence
  • Shelter in place order was put into place due to extremely violent potential (assessed pros and cons) Released when safe to do so. Had been lifted along with hunting restrictions.
  • Suspect died from self-inflicted gunshot wound.
End of conference

He knew many of the victims.
Maine is one of those places where everyone is connected. I often joke that I had to leave Maine so I could marry someone I wasn't related to. Not only did he most likely know his victims, they may have even been related, which only adds another layer of pain to this whole thing.

BTW, the interpreter has been amazing through all of this. You can see her emotions, which makes me wonder if she knew any of the deaf victims.

The governor's sign language interpreter was killed in the attack. I'm sure she knew him. After that hug between her and the governor, I thought both looked teary eyed and understandably so.

Maine is one of those places where everyone is connected. I often joke that I had to leave Maine so I could marry someone I wasn't related to. Not only did he most likely know his victims, they may have even been related, which only adds another layer of pain to this whole thing.

I don't doubt you. I just like to read things for myself.

Glad that they found him so the community can stop worrying about him being out there but still praying for all those who were at either location or had family or loved ones there as they have a long road to being able to put this behind them.

I just don’t understand why people do such things. I get being in the pit of despair and wanting to end your own life but have never understood why that means you take the life of another - and mass shootings will never make any sense to me.
until I worked psych I couldn’t get it either. Something in his brain was malfunctioning-enough to convince him that this was what he should do. He’s not alive anymore to state what he may have been hearing or seeing at the time.

Part of him, IMO from what has been stated in media reports about his actions, seems to have still known right from wrong-at least partially. Perhaps he knew what he was doing was wrong, but was incapable of totally controlling his actions or just didn’t care to anymore.

The psychology of “why” isn’t always obvious unfortunately.

I said this yesterday however, could it be possible that on a Wednesday night the bar / bowling place just had a higher proportion of men inside?
I think he shot whoever was there.
Maybe he felt excluded from joining a game? Made an *advertiser censored* of himself and got laughed at and came back for payback?
Apparently many victims were deaf. They wouldn't have heard the first shots.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Solange
Back