ME - Lewiston, Mass Shooting, Multiple Scenes, 18 killed *shooter found dead* Oct 2023 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Mental illness is problem all over our country. It's too bad that someone with power and position hasn't elevated the problem so that maybe something could be done. We see celebs championing other causes. Look at how Kanye West was ostracized when was struggling. Very sad.

All JMO.

it is a huge issue here in Canada too, with the same situation of psych wards being closed down

Mental illness is problem all over our country. It's too bad that someone with power and position hasn't elevated the problem so that maybe something could be done. We see celebs championing other causes. Look at how Kanye West was ostracized when was struggling. Very sad.

All JMO.
It’s very sad.

I'm sad to hear this ...
I’d go further. It’s devastating to hear this. This country is in a crisis state concerning mental health - it’s an epidemic.
The lack of access to care plus the enormous stigma attached are two big factors not helping the situation.
I don’t have the answers but I do know educating our kids is a good start.
Out of ignorance, some deem mental illness as a weakness of character or call a mentally challenged person defective. Some have an attitude of “ why can’t they just pull themselves up by their boot straps”.
Being stereotyped keeps many from seeking help.
RC seemed like the type of guy who
maybe believed the stereotype. We don’t know. I definitely don’t know what it’s like to hear voices but evidentially he did not think he was wrong. He got mad at people who told him the voices were not real. So there was a lack of understanding what was real and what was not with him.
My hope is that they release his note to his son so I can see his “ rantings” to get a better idea of his thinking and state of mind.
But the bigger picture as everyone says is the mental health system and yes the guns.
JMO

All JMO.
Actually Glenn Close has long been a mental health advocate. I believe she has a foundation. But she is def an older celeb.
I agree though someone younger would go a long way to helping. Jmo

Last edited:

All JMO.

WAS struggling?

I don't know how to call it, I just can say that not only did he kill absolutely innocent people, he left horrible inheritance to his son.

One question, though: they mentioned that allegedly he started hearing voices after his hearing aids were fitted? Can't comment on this, but given that several victims were deaf, did he know any of them, or maybe included deafness into his delusions? Besides being a mass murderer, he was a murderer who targeted people with a disability, which makes it as ugly as can be.
iirc, Card personally knew the group of men playing cornhole at the bar.

His son truly is a victim, and my heart goes out to him.

JMO

All JMO.
KY certainly has the money to take advantage of mental health services but whether he has or not, I have no idea.

The killer, Card had received mental health help. I don't know what fueled his rage toward his victims and I don't know if we will ever know.

JMO

Almost all sufferers of mental illness do not murder.
The greatest risk is during the first psychotic episode, after that the person takes meds, and even if off meds on some level knows their feelings and experience possibly false.
He already had a break, so MOO he chose murder knowing had a problem.
Agree. If we’re going to classify all mass muderers as depressed, suicidal people, are we also saying that failure to successfully treat such people means we have to let them freely wander around and buy all the guns and ammo they want, while taking our chances we won’t be around them when they decide to start shooting?
I think the general public is entitled to the right to be safe from such high risk people. JMO

Police across Maine were alerted just last month to “veiled threats” by the U.S. Army reservist who would go on to carry out the worst mass shooting in the state’s history, one of a string of missed red flags that preceded the massacre.

Two local law enforcement chiefs told The Associated Press that a statewide awareness alert was sent in mid-September to be on the lookout for Robert Card after the firearms instructor made threats against his base and fellow soldiers. But after stepped-up patrols of the base and a visit to Card’s home – neither of which turned up any sign of him – they moved on.

“We added extra patrols, we did that for about two weeks. ... The guy never showed up,” said Jack Clements, the police chief in Saco, home to the U.S. Army Reserve base where Card trained.

Police across Maine were alerted just last month to “veiled threats” by the U.S. Army reservist who would go on to carry out the worst mass shooting in the state’s history, one of a string of missed red flags that preceded the massacre.

Two local law enforcement chiefs told The Associated Press that a statewide awareness alert was sent in mid-September to be on the lookout for Robert Card after the firearms instructor made threats against his base and fellow soldiers. But after stepped-up patrols of the base and a visit to Card’s home – neither of which turned up any sign of him – they moved on.

“We added extra patrols, we did that for about two weeks. ... The guy never showed up,” said Jack Clements, the police chief in Saco, home to the U.S. Army Reserve base where Card trained.

The Maine public safety commissioner sounds like a real idiot and should be replaced. The biggest issue in this case--yet AGAIN--is that nobody who is known to be mentally ill should have any access to guns. Jeez....the killer in the Texas' largest mass shooting was former military. The military failed to alert the FBI data base in that case 6 years ago.
JMO
From your link:
But Maine Department of Public Safety Commissioner Michael Sauschuck said in news conference Saturday that while Card had a history of mental illness, there was no evidence that he had ever been involuntarily committed.

“Just because there appears to be a mental health nexus to this scenario, the vast majority of people with mental health diagnosis will never hurt anybody,” Sauschuck said.

Jody Madeira, an Indiana University law professor who has studied gun laws, said police in one state can alert counterparts in another state that someone is a danger, and the military can do the same with local police.

She said someone dropped the ball because Card’s threats and medical evaluation should have triggered a yellow flag seizure of his guns when he returned home.

“He slipped through the cracks,” Madeira said. “There were warning signs.”
Kelley had served nearly five years in the Air Force before being discharged in 2014 for bad conduct, after he was convicted of assaulting a former wife and stepson, cracking the child’s skull. The Air Force has publicly acknowledged that the felony conviction for domestic violence — had it been put into the FBI database — could have prevented Kelley from buying guns from licensed firearms dealer.

I don't think Charlot123 was talking about monetary inheritance, but instead the legacy he leaves his son.
I feel very sorry for his son, having to absorb this, and live with it far into the future. For example, if he marries, explaining to his wife and her family. Explaining to his own children who their grandfather was.

His sister-in-law told The Daily Beast Card claimed that new hearing aids allowed him to hear people at Schemengees Bar & Grille ‘bashing’ him.

The bar was the scene of the second shooting and had been hosting a cornhole tournament for the ‘tight-knit’ deaf community, which he had also competed in.
How sadly ironic that his improved hearing may have triggered him to murder deaf people.

Agree. If we’re going to classify all mass muderers as depressed, suicidal people, are we also saying that failure to successfully treat such people means we have to let them freely wander around and buy all the guns and ammo they want, while taking our chances we won’t be around them when they decide to start shooting?
I think the general public is entitled to the right to be safe from such high risk people. JMO
Not all mass killers are mentally ill

I beg to differ. Not all mentally ill people are mass killers, but most certainly, <modsnip - no link>
I don't agree and it certainly is something one cannot prove without knowing complete histories of mass murderers-- There are evil people- they are not mentally ill: there are racists- they are not mentally ill----there are sociopaths- they are not considered mentally ill--- they just have no conscience

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChillThrills
Back