ME - Lewiston, Mass Shooting, Multiple Scenes - Oct 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he’s gotta still be alive, as he apparently switched vehicles. Out of all the mass shootings I’ve followed, this is the strangest and perhaps scariest.

There’s an expert shooter on the loose, and they’d better catch him before there’s a round two (those pockets looked heavy in those photos). Hopefully he’s still close by, so he doesn’t get that chance.

This has me very concerned. Wish we knew if both vehicles were his, or if the second vehicle he grabbed at random.

It frightens me to think he planned two vehicles for use in his crime spree. So want to hear the second vehicle was stolen. I noticed his heavy pockets also, again the reason for my concern over a second vehicle.

Many, many families in horrific pain over this. So sad.

As of 3 a.m. Thursday, Maine State Police say there are no updates to report at this time. However, a news conference is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. Thursday.

According to the Associated Press, Card is a firearms instructor trained by the military and was recently committed to a mental health facility.

I was just thinking today, it's been awhile since there's been a national mass shooting story. They're so common these days.
I’ve been thinking this for a while. And then realized I really can’t remember the last one. Not in chronological order, anyway. They run together. How is that even possible?

If prepared his escape, I'm guessing he prepared plenty of weapons and ammunition too. Perhaps his escape was a final one, iykwim? Or will he wake up somewhere and continue? He devised a plan for post-shooting, which many mass shooters don't seem to do, except perhaps an expectation of being shot by cops. This guy had a plan to actually get away.

jmo

Last edited:
The death toll, which could rise, is the largest from a mass shooting this year, according to data compiled by the Associated Press, USA Today and Northeastern University and analyzed by The Post.

Schemengees Bar and Grill, one of the locations attacked, posted an emotional Facebook message in the aftermath.

“My heart is crushed,” the post said. “I am at a loss for words. In a split second your world gets turn upside down for no good reason. We loss great people in this community. How can we make any sense of this. Sending out prayers to everyone.”

The post was not signed identifying the writer.

Here's a timeline of the evening:
  • Around 7 p.m.: Two shootings are reported in Lewiston with multiple casualties, according to Maine’s Department of Public Safety commissioner Mike Sauschuck.
  • 8 p.m.: Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Office releases photos of the armed suspect and says it’s investigating two active shooter incidents. The agency encourages “all businesses to lock down and or close while we investigate.”
  • 8:09 p.m.: Maine State Police says there’s “an active shooter in Lewiston” and tells people to stay inside with their doors locked. “Law enforcement is currently investigating at multiple locations,” the agency added.
  • 8:26 p.m.: The neighboring city of Auburn urges all residents to shelter in place.
  • 8:53 p.m.: Lewiston police identify the shooting locations as Schemengees and Sparetime Recreation, a restaurant and bowling alley.
  • 9:17 p.m.: Lewiston police release the image of a white vehicle, asking members of the public to contact them if they see it. Maine State Police tell CNN the image is of the suspect’s car.
  • 10:52 p.m.: Police on social media name Robert Card as a “person of interest” in the shootings and release his photo.
  • Around 11:30 p.m.: Maine Department of Public Safety Commissioner Mike Sauschuck says a “vehicle of interest” was found in Lisbon, about 8 miles from Lewiston, but the person of interest remains at large.
  • 11:34 p.m.: Lisbon officials say all town offices will be closed on Thursday and tell people to keep sheltering in place.

Man wanted by Androscoggin County Sheriff's Office in Maine over shootings

The person of interest in connection with the shootings studied engineering at the University of Maine about 20 years ago, a school representative said.

Card was a student there from 2001 to 2004, though it was not immediately clear whether he graduated, University of Maine spokesperson Eric Gordon told NBC News early Thursday.

A bulletin put out by the Maine Information and Analysis Center, a database for law enforcement officials, said Card was a trained firearms instructor and was believed to be in the Army Reserve.

It added that law enforcement said Card “recently reported mental health issues to include hearing voices and threats to shoot up the National Guard Base in Saco, ME.”

The bulletin said Card was reported to have been committed to a mental health facility for two weeks this summer and then released.

Lewiston Police Department identified Robert Card as a person of interest involved in the Lewiston shooting.

The Lewiston Police Department released this image of a vehicle connected to the active shooter situation.

The Lewiston Police Department released this image of a vehicle connected to the shootings.

Just caught up with the thread. Thank you to everyone who posted. Learning it was kids' night at the bowling alley did me in. :( I thought it would be league night, but didn't think of kid night. I'm sick at the thought of more parents and families in our country in pain because of homegrown, gun-carrying killers.

jmo

The man identified as a person of interest in a mass killing in Maine is a firearms instructor trained by the military and was recently committed to a mental health facility, according to a state police bulletin.

Robert Card, 40, was stationed out of Saco, Maine and reported “hearing voices” and threatened to shoot up the National Guard Base where he was stationed, the sources said.

A woman is hugged by a man at a reunification center at Auburn Middle School, in Auburn, Maine.A woman is hugged by a man at a reunification center at Auburn Middle School, in Auburn, Maine.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members