ME - Lewiston, Mass Shooting, Multiple Scenes - Oct 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MOD NOTE: A snippet from the Social Media Rules linked below this post: "Do not link to a victim or suspect's social media page if you are not 100% certain it belongs to the correct individual."

You can, of course, discuss things you aren't certain of in private messages. Just don't discuss the questionable info (or that you have a private group going) on the thread.

So, so many. Bipolar disorder is one of them. Before I found a meds "cocktail" that worked for me, I had terrible auditory hallucinations, especially when stressed/anxious. I was around mid-30's at the time.

Thank you for your courage in sharing. I'm so glad you found excellent medical care (my family member with Bipolar is in good shape now, at age 70, but boy has it been hard - he actually had auditory and visual hallucinations, to such an extent that his doctors wanted to insist he was using drugs - he was not). It took a couple of decades to get him stabilized (beginning in his mid 20's).

I"m guessing that RC went home from hospital on meds, but stopped taking them - it takes such strength and a strong desire to get better for many people to continue on the drug experiment - it's almost never an easy path at first.

Much love to you.

We have to ask ourselves why did it take so long for identification to take place. I think authorities have a habit of 'protecting' the general public from the catastrophic injuries victims receive from high powered weapons. Decapitation, traumatic amputations and unrecognizable body parts are why. Maybe these types of things should be made public. You can't hurt the family members anymore than they already have been.
Yes, sadly, I've seen reports mention he used a semi-automatic rifle armed with .308 ammunition. These are enormous bullets (most often used to hunt big game) and would cause a tremendous amount of damage to a human being. I do believe this is the reason it has taken a while to identify some of the victims. The ghastly images survivors and first responders must have witnessed at those crime scenes makes my heart hurt.

Authorities found a note from the Maine shooting suspect, Robert Card, which indicated that Card didn't expect to be alive when it was found, the equivalent of a suicide note in some manner, a law enforcement official told CNN.

This is, in part, is why the investigation has shifted to searching nearby waterways, the law enforcement source said.

The note, described by the official, essentially gave information and instruction to others about where things could be found and disposed of — ultimately suggesting when it was found or read that Card would no longer be alive.

@Ilex- you were right on the money about this a couple pages ago.

He appears to have had a complete mental change within the past year, according to MSM interviews with family. He was not like this before. It's quite puzzling.

It's possible he had struggled with paranoia for a while, but for some reason, it becomes not only acute, but apparently involved auditory hallucinations. It's really strange for those symptoms to appear so late in life - but it does happen. Late onset schizophrenia is a thing.

I think it's pretty clear that this person was delusional and suffering profound mental illness.

IMO.
or drug-induced paranoia/psychosis?
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
-- Posted on "X" 3 hrs ago

NEW INFO FROM PRESSER:

530+ tips have come inManhunt continued overnight Investigators still working to clear the two scenes of the shootingsSearch warrants for digital media being drafted and filed

TODAY: Divers will go into the water by the boat launch where the car was found. Air resources will fly over simultaneously. Looking for evidence or potentially suspect's body.

I think it was easier for him to explain the "voices" as a byproduct of super-hearing, rather than face the possibility those voices were really only audible from inside his head.

Really common for sufferers of auditory hallucinations - good point. They really really do have the sensation that the sounds are coming from outside their head. Recent functional MRI studies on auditory hallucinations show that Wernecke's brain (the part that decodes spoken language) is as active during the hallucination as if there were really sound in the room. Makes me wonder if he might even have confused his inability to properly hear real sounds with deafness. Hard to say.

At any rate, yes, most schizophrenic-like hallucinations are explained by the sufferer in a way that is helpful to them.

I've worked in mental health units where patients found it helpful to wear headphones, as that helped them believe the very disturbing voices were coming from a source. One gentleman was convinced that a large clock was actually a broadcasting unit. One aging gentleman, who only heard voices on occasion, believed they were coming from a ship at sea and felt that the voices worsened when he was near the ocean.

I consider those hallucinations to be one of the most painful illnesses a human can suffer, it has to be awful.

IMO.

I can't imagine 18 people being killed by one person in two different locations really in a matter of minutes. I think the more details we learn about that night the more horrific it's going to be. I really hope he's taken his life, and will be found, so that there is no trial and the witnesses and victims families don't have to relive it. JMO

Hard to believe RC is still on the run.
Hoping for a break soon.
People need to be able to get back to their lives.

Without commenting on the diagnosis per se, I just want to observe that each case of mass shooting costs a lot to taxpayers. Many episodes of recurrences of mental illness could be prevented by using injectable antipsychotics, such as Aristada. There are two things that are prohibitive in such treatment, one, the cost of injections, and another, the legal side - one can get the shot only if they refuse the pills during involuntary commitment.

Someone, not us, our economists, have to sit down and calculate how much the shooting had cost the Maine community. And compare that costs with the cost of having treated the shooter with injectables since his hospitalization. The numbers can simply not be compared. And then those in power should look into 1) a special grant for injectables. 2) making the laws more flexible, because each case of involuntarily commitment turns into something impossible. One has to compare the costs.

Lifelong prevalence of depression only - 29%. About 40% of mentally ill patients are not fully compliant with their medications. I know doctors who point blank refuse to treat addicts - I disagree with it, but I understand their unwillingness to take the risk, too. We can’t swallow all the numbers and expect that everything will be OK.

Sorry for being so brisk - what scared me was the lack of own emotional response when I heard about shooting. (One too many.) Someone has to study prevention, not treatment.

(And while we are on prevention, there is injectable Suboxone for opiate addicts, but again, the cost is too high. Something had to be done about it. Just look at the cost of non-treatment).

hmmmm...

Card not enrolled in VA health care

6:40 p.m. Robert Card is not enrolled in or using VA health care, according to a spokesperson for the VA. He used VA education benefits in 2004, but he has not used or applied for any VA benefits since then.
That makes sense to me if he's still enlisted in the Army Reserves. If he has TRICARE Reserve Select, he'd be medically covered in a way similar to most other insurance plans. He'd pay a yearly premium, deductible, and copays... and the military would pick up the rest, as long as he went to a networked TRICARE provider. (I used to work for TRICARE.)

He could also be treated on base, if he made an appointment and clinic space was available. But he wouldn't be treated by the VA unless he'd been discharged. I wouldn't think.

Authorities found a note from the Maine shooting suspect, Robert Card, which indicated that Card didn't expect to be alive when it was found, the equivalent of a suicide note in some manner, a law enforcement official told CNN.

This is, in part, is why the investigation has shifted to searching nearby waterways, the law enforcement source said.

The note, described by the official, essentially gave information and instruction to others about where things could be found and disposed of — ultimately suggesting when it was found or read that Card would no longer be alive.

@Ilex- you were right on the money about this a couple pages ago.
I wonder though if Card thought he would die in a shoot out with LE. Suicide by cop- much easier imo than taking your own life. Now faced with the reality that he is still alive he may want to stay that way.
Or perhaps he still hopes for a shoot out.
My hope is that they find his dead body in the river.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member