Identified! ME - Stacyville, WhtMale 40-60, UP8812, 'Chris' knitted cap, Nov'10 - Christopher Roof

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
The location is pretty far off but his height and age are a reasonable fit and his name is Christopher:
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/12965/20/
LKA in 2009, he was known to be homeless in Arizona.

His info says that DNA sample was submitted and tests complete
The UID has nucDNA available.

My guess is he was bald or had very little hair. A lot of bald guys are in the habit of wearing a soft cap to bed even in quite mild weather... unless it is too hot to wear the cap, the cap goes on, because waking up with a cold head is unpleasant. Even if the guy is sleeping in his underwear he'll still wear his cap. A cap for wearing to bed is often chosen for comfort not looks, or may have been received as a gift. Thus a bed cap might not be as polished and respectable looking as the rest of a man's clothes.

But the insect repellent seems to indicate he was prepared to encounter mosquitoes.

He's going somewhere overnight, in what seems like shirtsleeves weather, without bedwear or a change of clothes, but packs his bedcap anyway because he just about always wears it. And then the weather turns way colder than he thought it would, so he puts his cap and jacket on. Then he dies. Hypothermia maybe?

So... any sudden cold snaps in the appropriate timeframe?

Edited to add: But why is his sweater still in his bag? Did he take it off as hypothermia set in? Or was he out walking and thought he was fine except his head was getting cold?

I don't think we should assume the clothing was his originally, homeless people get donated items and/or buy at thrift stores, etc., where finding higher end items is likely, this includes the strong possibility that the "Chris" hat was not indicative of his name. Sounds like a homeless person IMO, hopefully we can identify him.

Still nothing new I see.

I followed along with this for a while, and today while skimming through threads Ive posted in I came across this one. While re-reading over the news articles and the NAMUS profile there are a couple things that stuck out that didnt seem odd but now do.

One being, the bottles. It could be possible this man was out collecting some type of natural grown item that he would fill the bottles up with. If the timeline estimated is correct, there isnt a whole lot you could gather though. Berries and such are pretty much gone. And I also wonder if there were any fingerprints on those bottles or lot numbers on them that could be determined their origin.

Two being, the estimated time believed he died. Now, being from Maine, I know bugs tend to die down around September, usually around the first frost/cold nights. The bug spray contradicts the sweater and knit hat kinda...if its cool enough out for a hat and sweater than potentially no bugs, but if warm enough for bugs then this man seems a little over dressed, but not to a point you could rule it out.

Three, the homeless angle, while possible, seems too out of place. Stacyville is a small town and out of the way. Grandted, it is off I-95, but given the population of that area it seems like even a homeless local would be remembered. It seems like whoever this man is he would have had to arrived in that location by some sort of transportation.

I wonder how it was determined there was no foul play involved. Seems sketchy at best. That part of the state is fairly remote, I just dont see a random homeless man going out into the wilderness on a logging road. Especially as unequipped as he was. The description of what he was wearing appears like he was dressed decent. Obviously theres no mention of the condition of the clothes. But it doesnt seem to fit the locale.

If he was believed to have died in September and was found in November I wonder how bad the decomp of the body was. Where there any signs of animals feeding off of the body? In the NAMUS profile it states that no hands were found. Doesnt even say that bones/fingers were found. So does the definition of "Hand" include bones? or can bones be described as Hands? Im sorry if that sounds stupid, but say if there werent even bones found, then what happened to them? I know its Maine, there are animals, and that is a possible answer. Given them being hands, they would be exposed and decomp sooner. Even still, where are the bones? and why stop at just the hands? No mention was made that the arms were missing, so the hands are gone above the wrist. More sinister reason for the hands being missing? Am I reading too much into that?

If you add up the points above, to me, it sounds like the body was dumped there. A man with three water bottles and bug spray, on a remote logging road, in a very remote part of Maine seems so out of palce.

James Lohrey Profile - From the Charley Project

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/lohrey_james.html

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: June 2007 from Willoughby, Ohio
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date of Birth: August 24, 1947
Height and Weight: 5'9, 180 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes.

Details of Disappearance

Lohrey was last seen in Willoughby, Ohio sometime during June 2007. His family reported him missing after a year passed without him getting in touch with them. They didn't file a report earlier because Lohrey traveled internationally and would frequently drop out of sight without warning. He has never been heard from again.

Police in Willoughby found out the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office in Maine had checked Lohrey's car registration plates several times in August and September 2007. The missing persons investigation was transferred to Maine as a result. In August 2007, Lincoln County sheriff's officials discovered Lohrey's silver 1996 Pontiac Firebird with Ohio license plates in a parking lot off Route 96 in the Ocean Point area of East Boothbay, Maine. Local residents said the car had been there for most of the summer. It was towed in October and placed in storage, where it remains.

The circumstances of Lohrey's case are unclear. Maine police are investigating.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Lincoln County Sheriff's Office
207-882-7332

lohrey_james.jpg
lohrey_james2.jpg

What about Fred Byram... is he still missing from New Brunswick? Was the Doe decomposed enough for tattoos to be gone? Has anyone seen actual dental Xrays for this Doe?

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/nb/news-nouvelles/releases-communiques/Dec1310_100430-eng.htm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/10/15/nb-missing-moncton-man-956.html

The clothes don't seem like what he is wearing in casual photos of him, but they might be what a guy like him would wear if he thought he was going to a job interview, important romantic date or other important event. Right down to not really owning a pair of more formal shoes so wearing his sneakers instead. And where the Doe was found isn't all that far from the mid-point of Byram's shortest likely route home from Moncton to Sainte-Anne-de-Madawaska.

Maybe someone called him, told him it was really important and he should meet them halfway? Then he dies in Canada and gets dumped well enough over the border to confuse matters, minus his wallet and any other clear signs of ID, and with a misleading hat jammed on his head.

Mr. Lohrey has been ruled out. I missed that, sorry. I did submit Mr. Therrien.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/show/9211

Status Missing
First name Dennis
Middle name Vern
Last name Kunkel
Nickname/Alias Den, Vern
Date last seen May 18, 2010 20:01
Date entered 01/11/2011
Age last seen 44 to years old
Age now 47 years old
Race White
Ethnicity Other
Sex Male
Height (inches) 72.0 to 73.0
Weight (pounds) 165.0 to 185.0

City Medina
State Ohio
Zip code 44256
County Medina
Circumstances
His Silver Chevy Pick Up truck was found abandoned at a Subway Restaurant 5105 Manchester Rd in Akron, Ohio. This is just south of the Portage Lakes State Park entrance. The vehicle was found locked and did not appear to show any signs of foul play.

OH OH - Dennis Kunkel, 44, Medina, 18 May 2010 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

http://www.ohio.com/news/family-baffled-by-medina-man-s-disappearance-1.193932

Kunkel was last seen by his brother, David Kunkel, when he stopped by his home May 18.

David Kunkel said Dennis complained that he didn't feel well and took a nap. By 4 p.m., he was gone.

A check of bank records, authorities say, shows no activity since the disappearance.

According to Medina County Common Pleas Court records, Kunkel was served with a foreclosure notice for his home May 9.

Thomas said Kunkel's business had been slow and he had even cashed in a gold investment for about $11,000 not long before he disappeared.

The contact listed at NamUS is at the ME's office in Maine and he no longer works there. The person I did speak to didn't express interest in following my tip for a potential match.

I did call the local police contact listed for the missing person and got a similar response.

The contact for the missing person on NamUS is out until July 8th.....

Thoughts or ideas? Wait until the 8th then give up?

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/show/9211

Status Missing
First name Dennis
Middle name Vern
Last name Kunkel
Nickname/Alias Den, Vern
Date last seen May 18, 2010 20:01
Date entered 01/11/2011
Age last seen 44 to years old
Age now 47 years old
Race White
Ethnicity Other
Sex Male
Height (inches) 72.0 to 73.0
Weight (pounds) 165.0 to 185.0

City Medina
State Ohio
Zip code 44256
County Medina
Circumstances
His Silver Chevy Pick Up truck was found abandoned at a Subway Restaurant 5105 Manchester Rd in Akron, Ohio. This is just south of the Portage Lakes State Park entrance. The vehicle was found locked and did not appear to show any signs of foul play.

OH OH - Dennis Kunkel, 44, Medina, 18 May 2010 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I guess I'm trying to figure out the connection to Maine. Are you thinking that he could have entered the Portage Lakes State Park and hitchhiked/hiked his way to ME?

I guess I'm trying to figure out the connection to Maine. Are you thinking that he could have entered the Portage Lakes State Park and hitchhiked/hiked his way to ME?

Thank you for asking hannah. No, I don't think he hitchhiked, I think Israel Keyes could have been touring Portage Lakes State Park for any number of reasons (pit latrines, boating, hiking trails, random tourists etc), as he was in the area during this time period.

http://www.fbi.gov/anchorage/press-...he-publics-assistance-concerning-israel-keyes

BBM
January 11, 2010 to February 25, 2010: Western U.S.
March 1, 2010 to March 10, 2010: Western U.S.
April 24, 2010 to April 30, 2010: Western U.S.
May 19, 2010 to July 18, 2010: Midwest U.S. and Western U.S.
July 18, 2010 to July 22, 2010: Southwest U.S.
October 15, 2010 to October 25, 2010: Midwest U.S., Eastern U.S.

And came upon Dennis. They had many things they could talk about, handyman business, stump-grinding, the economy, boats.....

Dennis was supposed to be at Portage Lakes State park on the 19th to assist his mother with moving a boat, but never showed up.

IK is known to take the victim's vehicle and leave it parked in a public area near where he abducted them from. Dennis's truck was found at the Subway down the street.

Dennis had cashed in some gold before he disappeared and was thought to have about $11,000 on him, a nice payoff for IK.

Dennis was a single man, less likely to be missed or searched for diligently; another stated IK favorite.

And the location the body was found in Stacyville is a mere 35 miles south (straight shot up I95) to two of his sisters; he posted photos of him helping build a cabin for them on his website.

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf...gl=us&ei=4NzSUZ76LsPQrQeUnIDgDg&ved=0CI8BELYD

The part I can't work out is the time difference between the abduction and the location of the body. I don't think IK had Dennis riding around with him for several months, only to dump him in September, and if Dennis went willingly I'm certain he would have called his mother, father and brothers to tell them where he was so they wouldn't worry. Another option is that he killed and dumped him almost immediately and it was cool and damp enough that he didn't decompose as quickly as normal, therefore the ME's time of death is off....

Sorry to be so long winded. And graphic.

Thank you for asking hannah. No, I don't think he hitchhiked, I think Israel Keyes could have been touring Portage Lakes State Park for any number of reasons (pit latrines, boating, hiking trails, random tourists etc), as he was in the area during this time period.

http://www.fbi.gov/anchorage/press-...he-publics-assistance-concerning-israel-keyes

BBM

And came upon Dennis. They had many things they could talk about, handyman business, stump-grinding, the economy, boats.....

Dennis was supposed to be at Portage Lakes State park on the 19th to assist his mother with moving a boat, but never showed up.

IK is known to take the victim's vehicle and leave it parked in a public area near where he abducted them from. Dennis's truck was found at the Subway down the street.

Dennis had cashed in some gold before he disappeared and was thought to have about $11,000 on him, a nice payoff for IK.

Dennis was a single man, less likely to be missed or searched for diligently; another stated IK favorite.

And the location the body was found in Stacyville is a mere 35 miles south (straight shot up I95) to two of his sisters; he posted photos of him helping build a cabin for them on his website.

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf...gl=us&ei=4NzSUZ76LsPQrQeUnIDgDg&ved=0CI8BELYD

The part I can't work out is the time difference between the abduction and the location of the body. I don't think IK had Dennis riding around with him for several months, only to dump him in September, and if Dennis went willingly I'm certain he would have called his mother, father and brothers to tell them where he was so they wouldn't worry. Another option is that he killed and dumped him almost immediately and it was cool and damp enough that he didn't decompose as quickly as normal, therefore the ME's time of death is off....

Sorry to be so long winded. And graphic.

I think you're off on one of your locations. Dennis is missing from Ohio. The UID was found in Maine.

I think you're off on one of your locations. Dennis is missing from Ohio. The UID was found in Maine.

Huh?

Is there a rule that missing persons can't cross state lines and die in another state? :waitasec:

Huh?

Is there a rule that missing persons can't cross state lines and die in another state? :waitasec:

I'm saying that you have to account for how he got to Maine when his truck was found abandoned at a state park in Ohio, several hundred miles away. Not 35 miles like you said.

I'm saying that you have to account for how he got to Maine when his truck was found abandoned at a state park in Ohio, several hundred miles away. Not 35 miles like you said.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - AK AK, NY Israel Keyes - Who are all of his victims???

Israel Keyes was traveling the Midwest (I consider Ohio Midwest) on May 19, 2010 as per the FBI timeline. Portage Lakes State Park is where Dennis was supposed to be on May 19, 2010 helping his mother move the family boat, but he never showed up. He was last seen on the 18th at his brother's home.

I think Israel Keyes could have picked Dennis Kunkel up at Portage Lakes State Park in Ohio, killed him, parked his truck at the Subway, stashed Dennis's body in the trunk of the rental car and driven for his sister's home in Smyrna, Maine; 35 miles north of Stacyville where the UID was found November 4, 2010, estimated date of death sometime in September 2010 - only a four month time span from when Dennis disappeared.

I'm not saying he only moved 35 miles. I'm saying it is 35 miles from Stacyville to Smyrna, a location IK has known ties to and was known to visit when in the lower 48.

I don't feel it is unreasonable to think that IK could have killed Dennis and moved his body in his rental car, from Medina, Ohio to Stacyville, Maine in his travels. Dennis remains unfound, the body unidentified. They are within the age range, Dennis is reported to be 72 to 73" tall, the UID is estimated at 68". Dennis had very straight teeth, the UID had all his teeth except three molars that were lost postmortem, and all the front teeth were natural. Dennis had short, straight brown hair, the UID had gray/partially gray straight hair (Grecian formula anyone?). And last, but not least, the UID was missing BOTH hands. IK dismembered Samantha Koenig before dropping her in a frozen lake.

If I still haven't explained how I think Dennis could have gotten from Ohio to Maine (with the full knowledge and understanding that his truck was left just south of Portage Lakes State Park in Ohio) to become the UID in question, I really don't know what else to say or how else to say it.

Okay, thank you, I finally see what you're talking about. One problem was that when you said "his sister," I thought you were talking about Dennis's sister, who lives in Ohio, and that threw everything else off. Yes, Keyes definitely had Maine ties.

I still think it's rather far-fetched. Keyes usually had a local place prepared to receive the body, for one thing. But there's enough connection to make it possible, and you're right about the descriptions matching.

It's worth a shot. A long one, but possible.

Thank you carbuff. I understand it is a long shot, but I feel I should at least try, which brings this full circle.....

My only other contact is the NamUs contact for Dennis, and I wonder if that will even still be the same person, none of the others have been.

The most frustrating part for me is that they are both in NamUs and both have DNA and dentals. It should be easy to rule in or out, if I could just find someone to do the comparison. :sigh:

DNA gets compared automatically. If they both have DNA in Namus, and it's the same kind of DNA (nuc, mt), and it's been there for more than a few weeks, the system would have detected the match.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crankymomma
Back