Identified! ME - Stacyville, WhtMale 40-60, UP8812, 'Chris' knitted cap, Nov'10 - Christopher Roof

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The contact listed at NamUS is at the ME's office in Maine and he no longer works there. The person I did speak to didn't express interest in following my tip for a potential match.

I did call the local police contact listed for the missing person and got a similar response.

I've been wondering why this is Maine's one and only UID profile listed on NamUs; even tiny little Delaware has 27 open UID cases on there. But if all you're getting from LE and the ME's office is apathy, I guess that probably answers my question.

DNA gets compared automatically. If they both have DNA in Namus, and it's the same kind of DNA (nuc, mt), and it's been there for more than a few weeks, the system would have detected the match.

Dennis's says sample submitted, tests complete. The UID is nuc. However, Dennis is not listed as an exclusion on the UID.....would all that mean that in your opinion they either didn't match or had the wrong DNA to compare?

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/8812

Dennis's says sample submitted, tests complete. The UID is nuc. However, Dennis is not listed as an exclusion on the UID.....would all that mean that in your opinion they either didn't match or had the wrong DNA to compare?

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/8812

In most cases, the ruleouts list only includes the people who were flagged as possible matches for things like similar dental descriptions, matching circumstances, etc. that have to be checked by hand. If the UID's DNA is run through the system and no match turns up, essentially the entire database is a ruleout :p

I've been wondering why this is Maine's one and only UID profile listed on NamUs; even tiny little Delaware has 27 open UID cases on there. But if all you're getting from LE and the ME's office is apathy, I guess that probably answers my question.

I know this is an old post, but I hope you don't mind a reply.
There is only one UID in Maine because that's all we have.
http://bangordailynews.com/2014/02/...n-maine-in-last-20-years-remain-unidentified/

We have a very low crime rate. Not saying we don't have crime, we do; I wouldn't leave my car unlocked at the mall with stuff in it. And I'm not saying that there aren't more bodies out in the woods somewhere, because I think there are, but they're spoken for, so to speak. They're not UID's. Someone thought they found Cathy Moulton's body while hunting up north but wasn't able to retrace his steps with the police and Jesse Hoover's body is out there, the game wardens saw her take off unprepared to hike the AT but haven't been able to find her and don't expect to, sadly. However, this case is the only UID that has been discovered lately that has remained unidentified.
We also have a very low amount of MPs, which could account for the lack of UP's. Since 1971, there are currently 23 or so MP cases, and of these, there are 6-8 missing children, depending on which site you're referring to, but this article explains it might be due to record keeping. Our numbers are still pretty low compared to some other parts of the country:
http://bangordailynews.com/2015/10/...ssing-person-cases-could-keep-searches-alive/

So, not to make excuses, when someone called the Maine powers that be about a match, they probably hadn't dealt with WS much in the past. That will probably change when the cold case unit is up and running.

The one person I found that may fit would be Gregory David Wry, from Fredricton, NB. I don't believe he has been located yet
He went missing on 02/24/2010. It's nearly a straight shot down 95 from Woodstock NB (where his car was found) to Staceyville.
His age is off, but as far as the time of disappearance to the date of estimated TOD for the UID could have been spent breaking into camps along the way, living something like the North Pond Hermit did for years. I often thought of his clothes as "camp clothes", ones you might find stashed away in a cabin for emergencies or just in case.
http://www.nampn.org/cases/wry_gregory_david.html

Ruleouts https://identifyus.org/en/cases/8812

Exclusions
The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:

First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA

Gerald Bradshaw 1960 Virginia
Timothy Finamore 1956 Delaware
Loren Harvey 1969 California
Paul Harwood 1965 Oklahoma
Lohrey James 1947 Ohio
Carlo Pfaff 1944 South Carolina
James Stanton 1952 South Carolina

Thanks, Carbuff.
I think an isotopes study would really help in this case, it might be able to pinpoint if he is from Canada, somewhere down south, or local.

I know that anyone (regardless of their name) could wear a hat marked "Chris" and all.

But I just noticed that none of the (8) rule-outs are named Chris or any variation of such.

I know that anyone (regardless of their name) could wear a hat marked "Chris" and all.

But I just noticed that none of the (8) rule-outs are named Chris or any variation of such.
When I first read about this in the paper, I looked for anyone named Chris (inc. variations) that fit this profile who was missing and couldn't find a single one, so I'm thinking the hat wasn't made for him, he just had possession of it.
My first thought, based on the brief case with water bottles in it, was that this person may have been special needs and had wandered off. If that's the case, he hasn't been reported missing possibly. My second thought is that he was collecting returnables, as we have bottle deposits here, including on juice bottles and bottled water. I think the only drink containers that don't have a deposit are plastic milk jugs, but plastic gallon water bottles do.

Current NAMUS link: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Original
Original
Original

Original

Original

Maybe Maine will put this in the DDP pipeline, as they've already had one case solved, and another one is in the works. I think this would be a great candidate.

I think so too. I think Maine is going to go that way with it’s unidentified. They’ve been successful so I see them continuing. Now if all those still lost to the Maine woods could be found.

I think so too. I think Maine is going to go that way with it’s unidentified. They’ve been successful so I see them continuing. Now if all those still lost to the Maine woods could be found.
Agreed. I also want the baby found in Frenchville in the 80s to be identified. I'm hoping they'll contact another agency who is willing to take on children to conduct the forensic genealogy. I have a sneaking suspicion the mother is from Canada, just a hunch.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseHase
Back