Media Links - NO DISCUSSION

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
CC lawyer speaks up about the hospital visit.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/illinoisnews/story/CD8E133992A7C529862575B50061177F?OpenDocument

William Margulis, one of Coleman's lawyers, said this afternoon that the family was headed to a doctor's appointment in Cape Girardeau for Coleman's mother. Margulis said Coleman's mother has "serious health problems."

"It has nothing to do with Chris," Margulis said.

Sorry if this has been posted already. So many posts, it is difficult to read them all.

Howdy,

Which of our gang here was asking about Florida newspapers? I was fishing... Just found this -- haven't read it yet.

Title of article: "Chris Coleman alleged girlfriend lives in Largo, Florida"

W

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering how long it would take. :)

Here's the link to the picture of them loading up the truck after they took down the yellow tape that you were asking about earlier. The woman loading the coat onto the van has jeans on...not sure who it is. Is this what you were looking for?

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...721F7AC65B144CD7862575B400082AB8?OpenDocument

This article is interesting:

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/political-fix/political-fix/2009/05/death-penalty-moratorium-defeated-in-missouri-house/
JEFFERSON CITY — A week before Missouri’s first planned execution in over three years, the House this morning rejected a plea for a death penalty moratorium.

The 95-64 vote followed an emotional debate in which legislators took turns arguing for crime victims and for those wrongly convicted of crimes.
(more at link)
Rep. Bill Deeken, R-Jefferson City, asked that executions be delayed for two years while a commission studies whether the death penalty is administered fairly and properly. Deeken said the state needs to “make sure we aren’t putting someone to death who is not guilty.”

Well...just maybe there will be an update today?

>>Police followed Coleman out of the cemetery as the family drove south, police sources said. Major Case Squad commander Jeff Connor said that he will hold a press briefing between 4 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. today.<<

The above was updated at 2:06 (the time of the article)

W

PS. Maybe ChesterGal will be here cluing us in on what we will hear.

After the murders, Chris Coleman's father's church collected money to help pay for the funerals. But Jack Carey, an attorney representing her family, wants an accounting of the collections gathered at the May 9 wake and funeral at Grace Church Ministries in Chester. Carey says he was contacted by a donor who was concerned about where the money was going. Another donor stopped payment on a check made to the same fund out of simiar concerns.

"We were chagrined at this revelation of this fund and understand it is a sizable amount," Carey said to The Belleville News-Democrat. "I just wonder where that money went and whether it is being used to benefit Christopher Coleman."
<snipped>

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/06/22/crimesider/entry5103246.shtml

http://www.bnd.com/breaking_news/story/817282.html

"We talked amongst ourselves and decided to have the inquest," Gummersheimer said. " ... It's a kind of a check and balance for my office."

The inquest is set for 10 a.m. July 10 at the Monroe County Courthouse in Waterloo.

Gummersheimer earlier had said she would sign off on the death certificates without holding the inquest, but she said after discussions with Illinois State Police, Columbia Police Department and Monroe County State's Attorney Kris Reitz decided to hold the court hearing.

At an inquest, six jurors and one alternate hear testimony to decide the cause and manner of death. Gummersheimer will pick the jurors from regular jury pool, she said.

<snipped>

Additional from the article:

>>The Coroner will summon to the inquest the individuals who have pertinent information concerning the incident. This often includes, but is not limited to, the person who found the deceased, witnesses to the incident, those involved, police officers and investigators, and in some instances, a direct relative. Individuals summoned will present testimony to the jury. Any professional reports (autopsy, toxicology, x-ray and laboratory reports) will be presented at that time. These reports are not released to the public until the inquest procedures are concluded.<<

Wow Who Knew, wouldn't it be great if our Waterloo Sleuther could attend, and some others?

From this article:
>>The inquest is set for 10 a.m. July 10 at the Monroe County Courthouse in Waterloo.<<

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...4FF7441744534360862575DE00584077?OpenDocument

John Baricevic, the chief judge of the 20th Judicial Circuit, said today he has appointed himself to handle the case. Defense attorneys for Chris Coleman successfully disqualified two other judges in the circuit last week citing bias against the defendant.

Baricevic isn't certified to preside over a death penalty case. If prosecutors decide to seek the death penalty against Coleman, Baricevic said he would recuse himself and appoint someone else.
<snipped>

Hallo gang...

ref: bereavement fund

So many questions... This AM I had a look at the CNN.com transcript of the Nancy Grace show on the 23rd June. Nicole Partin, investigative reporter, is quoted as saying:

>>Nancy, I have been raised and I live in a home where my parents are pastors. I have been to hundreds of funerals. Never have I seen an offering taken or donations taken at a funeral.<

Partin's quote reminded me of the post I made several days ago which included the following:

... At anyrate, I have NEVER been to a funeral where a collection plate was passed.

So this morning, I challenged myself -- was a bereavement offering "really" taken? What proof do we have?

Here are notes from one article:

>>Sheri Coleman&#8217;s family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Coleman and attorney Jack Carey was contacted by the donor.

According to the donor, collection was taken by the church during funeral services for Sheri and her sons.

Carey said, &#8220;We were chagrined at this revelation of this fund and understand it is a sizeable amount. I just wonder where that money went and whether it is being used to benefit Christopher Coleman.&#8221;

Carey wants an accounting of collections taken at the church at the May 9 wake.<<

Here are notes from another article:

>>Testimony by Columbia Police Chief Joe Edwards outlining evidence against Christopher Coleman so disturbed one donor to a bereavement fund collected by the Chester church that the donor stopped payment on the check.

Belleville lawyer Jack Carey, who filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Christopher Coleman on behalf of his slain wife's family, said the donor contacted him and told him about the collection basket at the funerals. Now Carey wants an accounting of collections taken at the May 9 wake and funeral at Grace Church Ministries.<<

Actually the viewing was the 8th, the private funeral was the 9th -- if I recall correctly. The viewing and the funeral were two separate events.

I am curious... Bluenotes...your wife and friends went to the viewing, was there a service at the viewing or was it just streams of people? Were they "invited" to gift to a bereavement fund?

The above note of a "revelation of this fund and understand it is a sizeable amount" is interesting. How would anyone know this? Of course, the donor who stopped payment knew what they wrote their check for, perhaps they talked to others who mentioned what they were gifting. Either way, the question does become, "For whose benefit, and for what purpose, was this fund collected."

Howdy locals to Columbia,

I've been trying to learn a bit about Julie Gummersheimer in order to give some brainstorming to this coroner's inquest thing.

I cannot find out what the qualifications are for a coroner in Monroe County. Anyone?

I also cannot find out Ms. Gummersheimer's qualifications to be coroner. Is she an MD, mortician or ? Can anyone point me to info on the web or inform me?

I did note that an independent pathologist did the autopsies Anyone have a clue on who might have been the pathologist? Did we learn their name at some point?

>>County Coroner Julie Gummersheimer said Wednesday an independent pathologist performed autopsies on the three, so an inquest isn't necessary.<<

You know, I have wondered this same thing. Some friends from small towns have told me that sometimes the local sheriff can be the coroner. I am from the St. Louis side of the river so I am not sure how it is in Illinois. An article in the BND names Dr. Raj Nanduri as the pathologist who will give the final autopsy report. http://www.bnd.com/news/local/story/794373.html

I have never been clear on who actually performed the autopsies. I guess I assumed that the above mentioned pathologist did the autopsy and Dr. Baden consulted/confirmed the TOD.

Howdy locals to Columbia,

I've been trying to learn a bit about Julie Gummersheimer in order to give some brainstorming to this coroner's inquest thing.

I cannot find out what the qualifications are for a coroner in Monroe County. Anyone?

I also cannot find out Ms. Gummersheimer's qualifications to be coroner. Is she an MD, mortician or ? Can anyone point me to info on the web or inform me?

I did note that an independent pathologist did the autopsies Anyone have a clue on who might have been the pathologist? Did we learn their name at some point?

>>County Coroner Julie Gummersheimer said Wednesday an independent pathologist performed autopsies on the three, so an inquest isn't necessary.<<

My guess is that an ME from St. Louis Medical Examiner's office did the autopsies in conjunction with the MCS. The tox report was to go to a pathologist by the name of Dr. Raj Nanduri is an assistant Medical examiner in St. Louis. http://www.bnd.com/179/story/794373.html

http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/comptroller/docs/2005DepartmentListings.pdf

Julie Gummersheimer is an elected coroner (and she is not a Dr.) so she's not qualified to do autopsies so it had to be done by someone who was a medical examiner. And a layperson can be elected as a coroner in most IL counties.

Julie G. was the coroner that was called to my son's accident. She also has deputy coroner's to assist if needed although I am not sure how many she has. She is qualified to do some basic testing if required and I believe she has a nursing background. Hope this helps, guys!

ETA: Looks like you guys had most of this already....sorry for the duplication! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Placeholder25
Back