Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex vs Associated Newspapers

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I guess from now on every letter & post card one writes needs to have that little “c” in the circle with your name, the date & the words “may not be reprinted without express written permission”. Good grief. These media ppl need to just <modsnip>. Mo. This isn’t about H&M...

That’s a good idea. I know some people who do just that.

They should have watermarks for digital docs, they probably do, like photographers, but people need to use them.

And yes, had Meghan copyrighted her letter in her own script it would be a different scenario playing out.

Media is brutal. I think it started with people magazine back in 1980. Tabloids just picked the worst stories of celebs out in the limelight.

Now, it’s totally ramped up with social media.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess from now on every letter & post card one writes needs to have that little “c” in the circle with your name, the date & the words “may not be reprinted without express written permission”. Good grief. These media ppl need to just F off. Mo. This isn’t about H&M...
The thing is no communication is safe. M's dad was hurt to see what her "friends" were saying. M made a mistake by writing a letter given the circumstances. M has not been honest herself either and that's why the media has been writing articles about her. DC has been thrown in the media pool but she has no episodes of being untruthful. Media has the right to report and M wasnt ready for them. Not fair of her to throw DC into her drama either. A longer courtship would have been more ideal for all parties but it was all rush rush. MOO

I don’t feel very wise with this- just completely perplexed with the devotion to vitriol in media. That it gets so many clicks & makes so much $$$$$ is a really sad testament to society. Mo

My impression is with how H&M’s choices happened, I think it left the British perplexed and a bunch stateside, too. The Brits really welcomed H&M as their wedding shows. And I know I can recognize disrespect which I think is deeply felt in umbrage for Her Majesty.

The articles can be really dishy, but the comments suggest they are not highly regarded.

That said, everyone deserves some fairness. Meghan is making herself public with the lawsuit against the press. So, she is choosing it.

I never thought separating from The Royal Press, and it’s protections, becoming their own satellite in the beginning was a very good move.
Jmo

The thing is no communication is safe. M's dad was hurt to see what her "friends" were saying. M made a mistake by writing a letter given the circumstances. M has not been honest herself either and that's why the media has been writing articles about her. DC has been thrown in the media pool but she has no episodes of being untruthful. Media has the right to report and M wasnt ready for them. Not fair of her to throw DC into her drama either. A longer courtship would have been more ideal for all parties but it was all rush rush. MOO
Respectfully, that’s a lot of conclusions drawn over public figures- who do have rights to privacy. And are constantly exploited from sources that have little validity imo.

The odds have been slim from the start that PH was ever realistically in line for the throne. He could have had a 5 day courtship & married in Vegas & it’d be nobody’s business. Mo. The whole true story of MM’s dad & their relationship will never be known either. All I know is the guy needs to shave & stuff a sock in it. Moo

Meghan Markle lawyers "surprised" by court decision in Mail on Sunday case

From the article:
A spokesperson for Schillings, the duchess' lawyers, stressed that the main parts of her case relating to privacy and copyright "do not change and will continue to move forward.”

Their statement said: "Whilst the judge recognizes that there is a claim for breach of privacy and copyright, we are surprised to see that his ruling suggests that dishonest behaviour is not relevant.”

"We feel honesty and integrity are at the core of what matters; or as it relates to the Mail on Sunday and Associated Newspapers [the publisher], their lack thereof.

From the article:
A spokesperson for Schillings, the duchess' lawyers, stressed that the main parts of her case relating to privacy and copyright "do not change and will continue to move forward.”

Their statement said: "Whilst the judge recognizes that there is a claim for breach of privacy and copyright, we are surprised to see that his ruling suggests that dishonest behaviour is not relevant.”

"We feel honesty and integrity are at the core of what matters; or as it relates to the Mail on Sunday and Associated Newspapers [the publisher], their lack thereof.

Dishonest behavior not relevant, so if they lied to get a hold of private correspondence and create animosity it is irrelevant. Bleak House.​

Last edited:
I think this is about correcting a narrative rather than privacy. Because that holds no weight anymore

A celebrity knows that they will not have the privacy ‘they want’ at the onset.

Her actions don’t warrant privacy by her own admission. She made it public when she chose to speak about the RF in the documentary. Followed up by a public announcement in stepping down. Both of which were a surprise and shocking.

How can she escape the fallout that she started?! If this were done privately there would be more chance of her biological family stuff eventually subsiding.

Her actions don’t warrant privacy by her own admission. She made it public when she chose to speak about the RF in the documentary. Followed up by a public announcement in stepping down. Both of which were a surprise and shocking.

How can she escape the fallout that she started?! If this were done privately there would be more chance of her biological family stuff eventually subsiding.

IIRC ambition and hard work are not a failings. Pretty easy to tear people down.

From the article:

It seems to come down to the question of whether Markle breached her own privacy by spreading rumour about the letter with up to 5 friends, that was published, so her father released the actual letter as rebuttal. Was that reasonable in order to protect his reputation?

It seems to come down to the question of whether Markle breached her own privacy by spreading rumour about the letter with up to 5 friends, that was published, so her father released the actual letter as rebuttal. Was that reasonable in order to protect his reputation?
If you’re asking me- idk that answer. I’m looking forward to the actual facts to be sorted out in court rather than the British tabloid rags. I’m really sick of the total lack of integrity in reporting today across all topics- and I’m sure this one is no exception.

It is reasonable to assume, a person has a right to defend themselves. Isn't that what MM is trying to do, justifying the way she treats her father? Why should her father be an exception? He doesn't have lots of rich, media connected friends that can "leak" stories to the press.

Harry never even met her father is person, that to me says a lot about how Thomas Markle was treated by MM and Harry.
MMO

It is reasonable to assume, a person has a right to defend themselves. Isn't that what MM is trying to do, justifying the way she treats her father? Why should her father be an exception? He doesn't have lots of rich, media connected friends that can "leak" stories to the press.

Harry never even met her father is person, that to me says a lot about how Thomas Markle was treated by MM and Harry.
MMO

Markle is a bad father, and really a toxic old man. He keeps himself in press money selling whatever he can dredge up or offering his opinions about his daughter.

MMO

I suppose we have to wait to see whether Markle decides to walk away and focus on more positive pursuits, or to parade her 5 friends through the courts to explain why they revealed contents of the letter to the media.

"The duchess is suing for breach of privacy and copyright infringement after articles reproduced parts of a letter she sent Thomas Markle.

At trial, the case will turn on whether the duchess had a reasonable expectation that the letter written to her father would remain private and there was no overriding public interest in publishing it."​

Newspaper wins first round in Meghan privacy case

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy
Back