Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex vs Associated Newspapers

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think it makes a big difference. If "private funds" means Royal Family money, like it usually does, then Markle has no reason to accept a settlement or put this behind her. By dragging it out, the Royal Family has to pay her legal fees, the defendant's legal fees (since she refused the settlement), and what could be future substantial costs.
You’re right, extra funding might influence financial ability for appeals, motivation for settlement negotiated out of court, or future legal actions- but doesn’t impact how the court will rule on the copyright issue as it pertains to the letter.

Not at all. As I said, according to Markle and Harry, "financial independence" means continuing to rely on Royal Family private funds.

Private funds to pay for the lawsuit probably means relying on Royal Family to cover the costs of the lawsuit.

I saw that Meghan has to pay legal costs the defendents for losing the first part, 62,000£.

Harry has money what is the issue here?
Charles had more than 300 million in income in a recent year.

Reactions: Emi
She is correct.
Only through assistance was she able to go.
Being eligible for the work study program is indicative of the financial aid band she was in. If the child is claimed in the parents taxes, recieving financial aid includes an obligation for a percentage of the school cost to be covered by the family.
It is the difference between the sum of all the awards and loans and the actual cost, called the "gap."
MOO I am sure he paid the gap anybe paid of some loans too.
But the reason she could go is the assistance not paying the gap.
I would like to see the records but have no idea what this has to do with the case.

As has been linked upthread, all of this information was supplied to the High Court in relation to the lawsuit. Perhaps it relates to the credibility of the parties. If Markle's father has evidence of credibility that contract Markle's bold announcements, the media case is strengthened.

What is missing from this is the dynamics of the letter. Markle gossiped with 5 friends about that letter, the 5 friends badmouthed Markle's father and mentioned the letter to the media.

His options are to do nothing, or to stand up for himself. Since he was badmouthed in the media, does he have the right to defend himself in the media and provide proof that the 5 friend gossip was false?
I think these very dynamics are what is clouding the issue. I think both are twisting things. And people always have the right to defend themselves. The legal issue was if Mr. Markle has the right to use her letter, and if the press has the right to edit/publish it due to privacy & copyright.

FWIW, I think both paid tuition. When you get a tuition bill, all funding sources are itemized out, with a balance remaining. If Mr. M looked at the balance & paid with parent plus loans, he may sincerely believe he paid for all her college (and still paying the loan), because that’s what he saw as “due” each quarter or semester. This interpretation would be incorrect if Meghan took out student loans & earned scholarships & did work study- because those funds would be subtracted to compute the balance due. Easy misperception. And again, not relevant to copyright & privacy law.

As has been linked upthread, all of this information was supplied to the High Court in relation to the lawsuit. Perhaps it relates to the credibility of the parties. If Markle's father has evidence of credibility that contract Markle's bold announcements, the media case is strengthened.
Otto I appreciate that you are willing to go to bat for what you believe.

Since the media part has been disregarded by Judge Warby as not relevant to the copyright case, I guess we won't see anything unless there is a follow up case unless TM publishes the records in the media.

Markle's father submitted documents and a listing of financial assistance to the High Court, which I understand to mean that he has provided proof that he paid for those expenses. That is, the High Court doesn't take someone's word regarding expenses, they need exhibits attached to documents.

More importantly, if Markle paid all of her tuition, she should have proof that she paid the tuition and has repaid all student loans. She has not produced any proof, but her father has.

"In documents submitted to the High Court ... Listing the financial assistance Mr Markle claims to have given his daughter over the years, the documents state: "Mr Markle had supported the claimant throughout her childhood and youth.

"He had paid her private school fees. He had paid all her college tuition and after she left Northwestern University he continued to pay off her student loans even after she had landed a well-paid role in suits."​

Thomas Markle: I paid for Meghan's school and university - even after her TV success
Should be easy to prove, as he says. He says her claims to have contributed are " completely untrue and offensive ".
I don't think "I paid every penny" means anything but that. Not a part contributor after grants/scholarships/campus work was taken into account, but all of her college bills and expenses. He has actually called her a liar several times, so I have a feeling he must have the proof.
Thomas Markle says Meghan is lying about paying her way through college as he paid 'every penny' of her tuition and has 'bank statements to prove it'
When is the next court date?

Should be easy to prove, as he says. He says her claims to have contributed are " completely untrue and offensive ".
I don't think "I paid every penny" means anything but that. Not a part contributor after grants/scholarships/campus work was taken into account, but all of her college bills and expenses. He has actually called her a liar several times, so I have a feeling he must have the proof.
Thomas Markle says Meghan is lying about paying her way through college as he paid 'every penny' of her tuition and has 'bank statements to prove it'
When is the next court date?
He’s claiming his bank statements will verify. That’s not accurate; his bank statements would only show payments to the college or parent’s education loan servicer. Only invoices from college will verify total costs and the funding sources of MM’s education. And he can’t get access to those statements unless MM has signed FERPA waiver.

I saw that Meghan has to pay legal costs the defendents for losing the first part, 62,000£.

Harry has money what is the issue here?
Charles had more than 300 million in income in a recent year.
The issue is why does PC have to pay an adult son's bill? H and M initiated the lawsuit, not PC . The dad doesnt have to pay for everything and the funds from his D of C was not intended or should be for a media lawsuit. PC has worked hard for that income. MOO

The issue is why does PC have to pay an adult son's bill? H and M initiated the lawsuit, not PC . The dad doesnt have to pay for everything and the funds from his D of C was not intended or should be for a media lawsuit. PC has worked hard for that income. MOO

PC was paying? Link please.

He’s claiming his bank statements will verify. That’s not accurate; his bank statements would only show payments to the college or parent’s education loan servicer. Only invoices from college will verify total costs and the funding sources of MM’s education. And he can’t get access to those statements unless MM has signed FERPA waiver.
I would assume he needs very detailed financial records to back up his claim to the court and prove that she lies to enhance her image whenever it suits her needs . If the college was billing him for all her expenses then he should have those records.
If this information forms part of DM defence and TM no longer has them, then could they obtain those records by court order or demand that she produce them?

I would assume he needs very detailed financial records to back up his claim to the court and prove that she lies to enhance her image whenever it suits her needs . If the college was billing him for all her expenses then he should have those records.
If this information forms part of DM defence and TM no longer has them, then could they obtain those records by court order or demand that she produce them?
Yes they can demand. College would not have ever billed him without FERPA waiver. College would have billed the adult student who then would forward to parent. Statements of amount due would just show balance, not full itemization of account info, including credits for scholarships, student loans & work study.

He said he has them.

Its not part of their defense now, as first part regarding animus was ruled not relevant to the copyright.

Thomas Markle obviously did do support. I have no issue with that.
But he started talking and talking to the press, lied straight up to Harry about it, ignored Meghan's requests.
He is now committed to making as much as he can from his noteriery, because as he said she stopped sending him money in 2018 and the press is profitable to him
The press was never a friend to him but he doesnt see that.

Last edited:
He said he has them.

Its not part of their defense now, as first part regarding animus was ruled not relevant to the copyright.

Thomas Markle obviously did do support. I have no issue with that.
But he started talking and talking to the press, lied straight up to Harry about it, ignored Meghan's requests.
He is now committed to making as much as he can from his noteriery, because as he said she stopped sending him money in 2018 and the press is profitable to him
The press was never a friend to him but he doesnt see that.
I think he means to prove she lies at will, to enhance her image. He is vehement in his statements that she did not contribute at all to her school or college expenses.
She claims she did not have any knowledge of, nor approve her friends releasing confidential information in her letter to TM, so as to neutralize all the press stories about her ghosting her father. TM asserts that she knew very well what said friends intended, and approved them defaming him to People magazine with the sole purpose of improving her image with the public.
She has done this before when she solicited JM to act on her behalf to obtain a more favorable article about her.
Duchess of Sussex asked friend to try to influence story, publisher claims

DM defence is that her actions in discussing the letter with 5 of her friends who at her request then acted on her behalf, leaking the contents, invaded her own "privacy" voluntarily.

I would have trouble finding detailed financial records from 20 years ago. I might have the deed to my house and tax records, but I wouldn’t have the copies of invoices or checks.

I think he means to prove she lies at will, to enhance her image. He is vehement in his statements that she did not contribute at all to her school or college expenses.
She claims she did not have any knowledge of, nor approve her friends releasing confidential information in her letter to TM, so as to neutralize all the press stories about her ghosting her father. TM asserts that she knew very well what said friends intended, and approved them defaming him to People magazine with the sole purpose of improving her image with the public.
She has done this before when she solicited JM to act on her behalf to obtain a more favorable article about her.
Duchess of Sussex asked friend to try to influence story, publisher claims

DM defence is that her actions in discussing the letter with 5 of her friends who at her request then acted on her behalf, leaking the contents, invaded her own "privacy" voluntarily.

Well of the two parties so far he is the one had said that he lied, and so what.

I would have trouble finding detailed financial records from 20 years ago. I might have the deed to my house and tax records, but I wouldn’t have the copies of invoices or checks.

His tax returns would show what he spent on a dependents school.
Before the current president, paying toward college tuition was tax deductable up to $4,000.
The filer must supply the exact amount they spent on the tax return.

IRC: I vaguely recall that he paid to have her in a private school during her junior years.
That may be.
But it has not come up.
Her speech was to encourage girls to realize assistance was there.
My guess is she got substantial scholarships, all along the way and he paid the balance.

Last edited:
His tax.returns would show what he spent on school.
Before current president, tuition was tax deductable up to $4,000.
The filer must supply the exact amount they spent on the tax return.
There’d be a 1098-T to go with W-2s & other tax statements that a CPA would have used to prep the return. Would be detailed in return.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back