Memorial Thread - COVID-19 Coronavirus

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DCH Respiratory Therapist dies of COVID-19 complications

NORTHPORT, AL (WBMA) A Respiratory Therapist who spent 24 years working in the DCH Health System died of COVID-19 complications Monday.

Harlan Stricklin was 53-years-old and worked at DCH in Northport.

"We don't know how this happened, we just know that he did it taking care of others, and this is nothing to play with," said Mandy Thomas, Stricklin's best-friend.

Mandy Thomas met Stricklin over 20 years ago and says he was more like family.

"When you met him, your life had been changed by knowing him. He's the most amazing man I ever met," she said.

On November 17th, Stricklin text Mandy saying he had tested positive for COVID-19. He was hospitalized days later.

"The hospital saw his oxygen stats were at 70 percent at that point, he went to the hospital and ended up at the ICU."

Stricklin's condition worsened and physician's put him on a ventilator, but he didn't survive the fight. He passed away Monday morning. His loved ones say he didn't have any underlying health conditions.

"No underlying anything, and they always say somebody has to have underlying, and it's not true. "

"It decides to pick on somebody, and it takes them with no regard," Thomas added.

People who knew Stricklin remember him as a prankster, full of energy and devoted to helping others.

"You never found him not happy, and he always worried about other people more than himself."

Stricklin's loved ones ask people to take COVID-19 seriously.

"We've already cancelled Christmas, and I would cancel it any day to able to see him again next year."

Warren firefighter dies after being hospitalized with COVID-19

WARREN, Ohio (WJW) – Warren City Safety Director Eddie Colbert said the city is mourning the loss of a “shining star.”

Fire Lt. Don Beauchene, 53, died Tuesday after being hospitalized with COVID-19.

“Don was and remains a great man,” Colbert told FOX 8. “We send our deepest condolences to his wife Michelle and their children. This world has truly lost one of its shining stars.”

firefigher.jpg

Fire Lt. Don Beauchene
News of his death quickly spread on social media with many firefighters in the Trumbull County area offering condolences and kind words.

“From the contributions that he has made to our city and the Warren City Fire Department as well as volunteering in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina. Lt. Beauchene was one of the most caring people you could ever meet,” Colbert said. “He will be missed dearly.”

A beloved teacher in Navajo Nation wore an oxygen mask for virtual classes before she lost her battle with Covid-19 - CNN

CNN) — Even when she was hospitalized for Covid-19 and pneumonia for three days, Philamena Belone wanted to get home so she could resume doing what she loved most -- teaching.

Belone led Zoom classes for behaviorally challenged students during the day and worked with those who had no internet at night via phone, her brother Phillip Belone told CNN. After the hospitalization, the third-grade teacher taught while wearing an oxygen mask from her home in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
"I know that she kept wanting to go home to teach. She wanted to be with the kids that she was teaching," Phillip Belone said. "She was actually on oxygen teaching when she would have been in the hospital, but her condition got to the point where she couldn't physically breathe."

Philamena Belone returned to the hospital almost two weeks later on November 28, her brother said. A week after that, she was put on a ventilator in a last-ditch effort to save her life.

But on December 11, the previously healthy 44-year-old passed away at the Lovelace Medical Center in Albuquerque. She leaves behind three children and one grandchild, as well as her parents, brother and sister.

It's a community that's been
hard hit by the virus. The Navajo Nation was a prominent hot spot for Covid-19 in the United States earlier this year. In May, it surpassed New York and New Jersey for the highest per capita infection rate.
The Navajo Department of Healthreported 20,095 cases and 731 deaths as of Wednesday. It has a population of 173,667, according to US Census data.

<modsnip: Snipped to comply with 10% copyright law>

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry Relph, Minnesota state senator, dies after being diagnosed with Covid-19 - CNNPolitics

CNN) — Minnesota state Sen. Jerry Relph died Friday following his diagnosis and hospitalization from Covid-19.

201219075256-sen-jerry-relph-large-169.jpg

Republican Minnesota State Senator Jerry Relph
"I'm heartbroken to share that my husband, Jerry Relph, has passed away and entered his heavenly home," his wife Pegi Broker-Relph said in a statement. "Jerry was a beloved husband, father, and grandfather." The family did not elaborate on the cause of Relph's death.

<modsnip: Snipped to comply with 10% copyright law>

Relph is survived by his wife, two children, four stepchildren and grandchildren.

Last edited by a moderator:
DEC 25, 2020
Georgia school teacher with COVID-19 died on Christmas Day (ajc.com)
A Cobb County elementary school teacher died Friday after his month-long battle with COVID-19.

Patrick Key, who taught art at Hendricks Elementary School in Powder Springs, died Christmas Day, according to his wife Priscella Key.

[...]

“Patrick was the kindest, sweetest, most gentle man that never wished harm on anyone,” she said. “The world has truly lost a very good person.”

[...]

(Darn it was a free article at first and then changed to subscription)

I can't access the story--says for subscribers only. But I can imagine the heartbreak of so many. My relatives who died of Covid were very elderly and in a nursing home in another state, and were well cared for. I know their families are grieving.

MI - Dearborn Heights Mayor Daniel Paletko dies of COVID-19 (detroitnews.com)

Dearborn Heights Mayor Daniel Paletko has died, city officials announced early Wednesday.

"The City of Dearborn Heights is saddened to announce the sudden death late Tuesday of Mayor Dan Paletko from complications associated with COVID-19," the city said in a post on Facebook.

2f4d8572-a57f-47b8-885d-d8f076c3150d-Mayor_Dan_Paletko_croped_to-1.25_in.jpg

Other details were not announced.

His death prompted a response from others in Wayne County...

Rep.-elect Luke Letlow dies from Covid complications days before being sworn in (nbcnews.com)

Luke Letlow, a Republican elected to represent Louisiana's 5th District, was 41 years old.

A congressman-elect from Louisiana died Tuesday evening from complications of Covid-19 days before he was set to be sworn into office, his spokesman announced. He was 41.

Luke Letlow, a Republican, was elected to represent Louisiana's 5th Congressional District in a runoff this month.

A spokesman, Andrew Bautsch, confirmed Letlow's death at Ochsner-LSU Health Shreveport on Letlow's Facebook page...

Gilligan's Island's Dawn Wells Dead at 82 From Complications Related to Coronavirus | Xfinity

On Dec. 30, Dawn Wells, star of Gilligan's Island, died in Los Angeles of complications from the coronavirus, her representative confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter. She was 82.

Wells portrayed the sweet, Kansas born-and-bred Mary Ann Summers on the iconic CBS sitcom. Mary Ann, along with several other passengers, was marooned on an island after a casual boat tour went south due to a storm. Hijinks ensued as the crew made their mark on their new island home...

This thread is almost too heartbreaking to read.

Agree. As with why many are here for criminal cases, we are here to see and support the victims.

I must give kudos to the owner of WS for allowing this forum and so many threads for us all to come together... with a moderation included.

Blessings to @Tricia for this site and her allowance of being OT for this pandemic with the limited resources to do such. It has been a Godsend for so many here.

Thank you Tricia and mods!

A 45-year-old elementary school teacher in my county died on December 25, reportedly due to complications of Covid. It's unclear where she got the virus, and there has been no confirmation of her cause of death.

'I will feel the void': Longtime Chatham teacher passes away

"Bridges, who was born in Chatham, was a lifelong member of Fall Creek Baptist Church in Bennett, where she was the pianist — known for her solos, wedding music and love for Jesus. She also attended New Salem Baptist Church in Pittsboro. She loved to offer encouragement and “always had a kind word for everyone she met,” her obituary said, and she loved her family deeply.

The News + Record received several reports from friends and co-workers that Bridges had died due to COVID-19 complications and had tested positive earlier in the week. On Dec. 19, Fall Creek’s Facebook page announced in-person services would be canceled due to a few COVID-19 cases; a livestream video from earlier this week stating Bridges had contracted the virus was later removed to “guard the privacy of our church family,” the church said in a Dec. 29 post, which did not mention the specific content of the removed videos.

Chatham County Schools Public Relations Coordinator John McCann told the News + Record the district could not confirm or comment on any employee’s cause of death — but if the unconfirmed reports are true, Bridges is the first known employee to die from COVID-19."

Beloved Mulberry High staff member Maria Hernandez dies from COVID-19

Much more at link
MULBERRY – Polk County Public Schools now has at least one fatality from COVID-19.

Maria Hernandez, 55, a longtime paraprofessional and secretary in Mulberry schools, died from the virus on Thursday, according to family and friends.

“We are heartbroken about the loss of Maria,” said Michael Young, principal of Mulberry High School, where Hernandez worked in the guidance office. “She was driven by her passion to help our students and families have better futures. Maria excelled at celebrating student accomplishments and encouraging them to stretch themselves beyond their expectations. Her Instagram handle was ‘Mulberry Momma Bear,’ and it was very fitting for her – she filled in that role for all of our students.”

Last edited:
https://www.firehouse.com/safety-health/news/21205049/la-firefighter-dies-from-covid19-complications
Shreveport firefighter Leonard Coney was called "a public servant in the truest sense of the term" by the city's mayor, and his death was the department's first stemming from COVID-19.

A Louisiana firefighter died Wednesday from COVID-19 complications.Leonard Coney had been a Shreveport firefighter since August 2007, and he worked out of Station No. 5, the department stated in an online update. He was the first member of the department to die from the virus.

“Leonard Coney gave his life in service to our community," Fire Chief Edwin Scott Wolverton said in a statement. "He had the kindest spirit about him and he held a high compassion for meeting the needs of our citizens. He will be greatly missed by all SFD Brothers and Sisters."

Mayor Adrian Perkins called Coney "a public servant in the truest sense of the term." He will be awarded the Line of Duty Death Medal, and his name will be added to the Fallen Firefighter Memorial in 2022, Shreveport Fire Capt. Barbara Sellers told KSLA-TV.

"He made the ultimate sacrifice while serving his city during a public health emergency and the City of Shreveport will be forever grateful,” the mayor said in a statement. “I ask that everyone join me in praying for Mr. Coney’s family during this difficult time, and that they honor his legacy by helping slow the spread of this virus in our community.”

In December, we lost two friends to COVID (one in his late 50's, one in his 60's). This month, already, my son's boss's FIL died from COVID and another friend's 19 yo son committed suicide (don't know if this was COVID-related or not). Another friend lost a 23-yo son to an accident. A lady in my church died from a sudden heart attack. I have been overwhelmed at the death notices and sending sympathy cards. It is indeed a rough month around here.

COVID-19 causes deaths of 9 nuns at Adrian retirement center (detroitnews.com)

An outbreak of COVID-19 has rippled across the campus of Roman Catholic nuns in southeast Michigan, causing the deaths of nine retired nuns.

After going nine months without any cases of coronavirus, the Adrian Dominican Sisters in Adrian said the retirement home on their campus, Dominican Life Center, was experiencing an outbreak of the virus.

Since Jan. 9, 12 Adrian Dominican nuns have died, with nine women dying from COVID-19...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back