Mexico - Arlington TX Firefighter Elijah Snow, wed anniversary found dead at Cancun resort, Jul 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't think the presence of sleeping quarters on the ground floor is necessary for this scenario to make sense. I've stayed in that general area. Where I was, there was a freestanding (no A/C or heat) set of bathrooms (men's and women's) by the pool and each had a window. I don't think that's unusual and wouldn't be surprised if they would have been locked after pool hours. Him trying to get in there, to use the restroom or find a sheltered sleeping place after finding himself lost at the wrong hotel, seems to me much more likely than him trying to climb into (or out of) someone's sleeping quarters.

From everything that's been presented, it makes the most sense to me that this was nothing more than an unfortunate drunken accident.

Last edited:
My husband and I were talking about this local area man and trying to figure out what happened to him.
Hubby, who watches 20/20 and that genre of expose' news stories, said that he'd watched a special about the open liquor bottles some of the Mexican and US to the Caribbean resorts pour from at their bar areas.
He said that they will keep the premium bottles spiked to pour, but will refill them with an entirely different product. Like " Bacardi Rum" might actually be a dangerous methanol/ alcohol blend that's $2.00/ multiple gallons.

Here's one article that discusses " Don't drink the liquor in Mexico". They are a Las Vegas publication, though, and may not be impartial. I don't know.
Booze News: Watch out for Tainted Alcohol in Mexico | Vegas Pub Crawler

Hubby said that people who drank too much, or weren't usually drinkers thus were more likely to accept an " off" tasting drink were experiencing things such as blindness, brain damage, pulmonary edema ( life threatening fluid in the lungs), all the symptoms listed under " Methanol poisoning". Methanol is NOT safe for ingestion and has been implicated recently in many side effects from cheap hand sanitizer. ( Always wash hands with soap and water to avoid this accidentally).

Other contaminants were mentioned, but Methanol was the one that was truly the killer ingredient.
Another thing was swelling of the brain from contaminants, either intentional, negligent or purposeful. Swelling of the brain causes confusion and disorientation in its earliest stages.
I don't know firsthand how prevalent this is but if the drinks are free, they are probably not using the premium liquor listed on the label every time, or maybe most times, IMO. Profit margin and all that.

This has been going around for years, I think. It pops up every 3 years, or so - by which I mean there has to be truth to it and not just an urban legend. We’ve always been told to stick to sealed single-use everything (water, alcohol).

My husband and I were talking about this local area man and trying to figure out what happened to him.
Hubby, who watches 20/20 and that genre of expose' news stories, said that he'd watched a special about the open liquor bottles some of the Mexican and US to the Caribbean resorts pour from at their bar areas.
He said that they will keep the premium bottles spiked to pour, but will refill them with an entirely different product. Like " Bacardi Rum" might actually be a dangerous methanol/ alcohol blend that's $2.00/ multiple gallons.

Here's one article that discusses " Don't drink the liquor in Mexico". They are a Las Vegas publication, though, and may not be impartial. I don't know.
Booze News: Watch out for Tainted Alcohol in Mexico | Vegas Pub Crawler

Hubby said that people who drank too much, or weren't usually drinkers thus were more likely to accept an " off" tasting drink were experiencing things such as blindness, brain damage, pulmonary edema ( life threatening fluid in the lungs), all the symptoms listed under " Methanol poisoning". Methanol is NOT safe for ingestion and has been implicated recently in many side effects from cheap hand sanitizer. ( Always wash hands with soap and water to avoid this accidentally).

Other contaminants were mentioned, but Methanol was the one that was truly the killer ingredient.
Another thing was swelling of the brain from contaminants, either intentional, negligent or purposeful. Swelling of the brain causes confusion and disorientation in its earliest stages.
I don't know firsthand how prevalent this is but if the drinks are free, they are probably not using the premium liquor listed on the label every time, or maybe most times, IMO. Profit margin and all that.
Was it the Dominican Republic that this was happening at, with the bad alcohol? Several tourists died, mostly from the US and Canada IIRC. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if that happened in this case.

But he was reported to have died from mechanical asphyxiation from being caught in a window and we have reason to suspect he was likely inebriated. So I don't see any reason to suspect tainted alcohol also played a part, unless there's something more to go on with that theory?

Remember, zillions of people stay in the hotel zone every year and it was an expensive resort. It seems we'd have heard more about it if that was a very common issue in that area. It's a nice area and they have a lot riding on keeping the guests happy. Which is not to say it could never happen there, though.

Last edited:
Was it the Dominican Republic that this was happening at, with the bad alcohol? Several tourists died, mostly from the US and Canada IIRC. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if that happened in this case.

I am not exactly well-traveled or much of a drinker but I’ve known of this advice for 15+ years - I’ve heard both Mexico and DR, but also some parts of India.

I put a link that goes to the issues with Mexico too. IDK how valid or consistent the problem is, and while bad booze didn't directly kill him, it could have been a contributing factor in disorientation, and the effects of what one would think was " normally drunk" not wearing off soon.
Also, some of the side effects including the swelling in the brain tissue and the vision problems could induce hallucinations and distortion of spatial relationship more than untainted liquor would. Meaning, he might have become frightened of someone following him, if alone on resort row, and felt desperate to get out of the open spaces.

I feel so sad that he didn't just go up to his wife and not left the resort. I'm sure she does too.

Funeral held for Arlington firefighter who died in Mexico | wfaa.com

‘He was constantly smiling’: Friends, family share hope and stories during funeral of Arlington firefighter who died in Mexico

Firefighters gathered to remember Elijah Snow, who died while in Mexico last week.

Thank you for sharing this. God bless his family and friends as they grieve. On a related note, 3 fireman from the metro DFW area returned home after providing over a months' worth of mental health support to the families and friends of the Surfside Condominium collapse in Surfside, FL.
They had a tough task, and I'm proud that we were represented in the mental health care field.

I think we need to be careful RE “bad” alcohol. There’s poison (usually methanol) and alcohol that may have a higher alcohol content than expected - eg if the bar uses as empty bottle of Absolut and refills it with locally-made stuff.

Even if he was drinking untainted, American hard alcohol, the mixers can be so sweet and mask the high alcohol content. And if he usually drank beer, he might not realize his limits when drinking liquor. JMO.

I've been to Mexico many, many times. I haven't stayed in Cancun because it's a bit too crowded for me. However, the same dynamic can be in any resort area with lots of hotels and resorts.

A lot of resorts really tout the exclusivity of their resort: it has everything you could ask for, a beautiful beach, fantastic pools, numerous restaurants all with a different theme to eat at, and booze. Lots and lots of booze. Why would you ever want to leave? Well, a lot of tourists get a false sense of security hanging out at the resort. They want to go and explore the local hangouts. And many do it when they are drunk. Drunk people are usually not at their best. They have a hard time gauging the situation. Someone who appears to be a friendly person could be anything but. I know of some really scary situations that people have been in because they didn't assess a situation properly.

You'll notice that the names of the hotel where ES was found hasn't been identified. He stayed at the Royalton Suites. Authorities in a lot of resort towns refuse to identify a hotel where foul play or misadventure happens. Even the people who are affected by the crime don't name it because they are threatened with lawsuits. Tourism is the lifeblood of Mexico and they want to keep it that way.

I stayed at a hotel in Playa Del Carmen where two children died in a pool at separate times. For exactly the same reason: they got sucked into an intake pipe.

I think many of the deaths that occur in Mexico can be criminal in nature but many are just people getting terribly drunk and making bad decisions like looking for drugs off site, going to local bars and disrespecting the female clientele and getting jumped by the locals. People forget that Mexico is very conservative country.

If ES was trying to get in to the hotel I have a feeling that he may have already been in it and was trying to get back in, perhaps to get his wallet or ID. Just me speculating.

The problem is whether his death is a criminal act or bad judgement the investigation will be stymied by both the resort and the local police.

But he was reported to have died from mechanical asphyxiation from being caught in a window and we have reason to suspect he was likely inebriated. So I don't see any reason to suspect tainted alcohol also played a part, unless there's something more to go on with that theory?

It was an incidental fact which I only discovered in the past 24 hours. People have been asking in this thread how he could have gotten " so drunk" that he'd leave his wife on their 10th anniversary, first night in Mexico, etc.
A stronger than usual type of alcohol, which is a central nervous system depressant when ingested, could explain the " so drunk" factor, then leaving the resort very late at night, and not getting back to his room at all. I don't believe what happened would have occurred if he'd been sober, as it is a bizarre and horrible way to die and shows that judgment was impaired, IMO. Putting together possible/ probable cause and effect helps understand why and how the accident occurred.

How do you deal with the open bottle pouring situation? I'm not asking to be nosey but because a work around might save a poster's life. Someone doing good things like Mr. Snow was in N. Texas.
I've always heard " Don't drink the water", so what's left? Soda in an unopened bottle or can, without ice- yuck?
We are assured that the alcohol in the bottles is real. You can sometimes tell if it isn't. My husband doesn't drink alcohol; and I don't drink that much when we are there because the drinks that they make are way too sweet for me.

Many will drink beer, which is not opened. It comes in bottles or cans. Also, in our rooms, we have a refrigerator with beer, water, sodas. We pick alcohol/wine to be put in our rooms before we arrive. Those bottles are new and unopened. So, you can always make your own drinks and take them to the pool or bar if you want.

I don't know what Mr. Snow was drinking, but I have a feeling that he drank way too much. He may have been doing shots and they may have really hit him. I just wish that his wife wouldn't have left him. Of course, hindsight is 20-20.

Last edited:
@Synergizer Bunny @branmuffin @Shamrock1 and others: Thank you for excellent coverage of how everyone can stay safe from microorganisms in H2O plus have juice and sodas to drink. I think we're going to Hawaii next year for our 25th anniversary. I'm afraid to let my husband loose in Mexico!! He inherited the gene, so he doesn't drink 99% of the time.

I'm very familiar with the mini bottles of alcohol with the seal on the cap from watching the waitresses mix drinks at fellow diners' tables, but as I've been away from there for almost 30 years, I had forgotten the sound of that little seal cracking and the little black caps you could slip and fall over if dancing when they went sliding on busy nights. I am from a state which only allowed table pouring of minis in front of the customer for years and years, no fifths or multi-pour bottles allowed unless the alcohol simply was not available in the 1.5 oz size, I guess it was. Going to a restaurant and waiting at the bar was gorgeous though! All the rare ports, the flavored mixing alcohols ( I don't know the term). SO colorful and with beautiful bottles.

We'll possibly never know if the alcohol was pure and good or made him have some of the symptoms I've outlined. I am choosing to err on the side of " Alcohol was drinkable and safe. Moderation in all things is always wise".

I’ll just add, because I was cleaning out the cabinets last night. Some new American liquors disguise the taste of alcohol very well. I gag at the mere smell of dark liquors like whiskey but was convinced to sample a peanut butter whiskey. It was a bit concerning how easy it went down - and it was 100% flavor, not reduced alcohol content or anything.

Food science has so many tricks, from using blueberry scent to make your think you’re eating waffles packed with fruit (it’s just colored balls, usually) to masking the taste of a highly alcoholic beverage.

We have a relative who is now paralyzed. Hard worker, physically fit, maybe a few beers with a game but that’s it. He overdid it on his anniversary and dove into a shallow pool.

I’ll just add, because I was cleaning out the cabinets last night. Some new American liquors disguise the taste of alcohol very well. I gag at the mere smell of dark liquors like whiskey but was convinced to sample a peanut butter whiskey. It was a bit concerning how easy it went down - and it was 100% flavor, not reduced alcohol content or anything.

Food science has so many tricks, from using blueberry scent to make your think you’re eating waffles packed with fruit (it’s just colored balls, usually) to masking the taste of a highly alcoholic beverage.

We have a relative who is now paralyzed. Hard worker, physically fit, maybe a few beers with a game but that’s it. He overdid it on his anniversary and dove into a shallow pool.

Please give your relative a hug from a WSer, OK? I hope things are stable physically, and that he still has that spirit of a hard worker. I know every day is tough in its own way.

I've never even heard of peanut butter flavored booze. I need to go to the liquor store down the road and see what's new and unusual, I guess. They keep the " really unusual and good stuff" behind glass at the checkout counter and I always feel stupid asking to see 4-5 bottles, then putting it back. I gave my husband a large bottle of extremely old single malt Scotch from a rare reserve for his birthday in June, and the cost was out of this world high.
I haven't seen so many presentation certificates, flannel bag or metal boxing for liquor in my life. He did say it was the smoothest Scotch he'd ever had, so maybe it was worth it.
I've had Champagne and wine, my preferred spirits, in France that were so good I REALLY had to watch it. On the flight home, Air France treated First Class passengers with Champagne and French chocolates. I seriously wanted to pause the flight, it was so decadent. I was reclining and relaxing in one of the newer pod sleepers that are 2 to a section and my seatmate was a super handsome true gentleman who kept refilling my ( plastic) flute.
It would have been easy to drink too much, yeah. I didn't, though, so no regrets once I returned home, just sweet memories of a G rated good time on the shopping trip. :)

Last edited:
This has been going around for years, I think. It pops up every 3 years, or so - by which I mean there has to be truth to it and not just an urban legend. We’ve always been told to stick to sealed single-use everything (water, alcohol).

I've been to resorts in the hotel zone probably 30 time
I think we need to be careful RE “bad” alcohol. There’s poison (usually methanol) and alcohol that may have a higher alcohol content than expected - eg if the bar uses as empty bottle of Absolut and refills it with locally-made stuff.

Even if he was drinking untainted, American hard alcohol, the mixers can be so sweet and mask the high alcohol content. And if he usually drank beer, he might not realize his limits when drinking liquor. JMO.

In my experience, the problem with Mexican hotel bar drinks is the opposite of high alcohol content. Booze is a huge profit center, and to maximize it even further, they put as little alcohol in mixed drinks as they can get away with. That's why a lot of hard partiers take shots instead. Lots and lots of shots. Maybe that's what this guy did.

Is it possible that Mr Snow went to visit at the other resort, and found himself in an unintended "situation"?

He asks to use the rest room. He opens the window, and slides feet first out the window [without fastening the window in the open position] Mr Snow misjudges the distance to the ground, and his hands and neck are caught at the window jamb?

Very possible scenario. Has it been reported how the body was found? Was he trying to get into the bathroom or out?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReyes
Back