Mexico - Arlington TX Firefighter Elijah Snow, wed anniversary found dead at Cancun resort, Jul 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It seems like Cancun is sloshing with alcohol and good times, but what about the drugs scene there? Is it mainly locals dealing to locals, or do they try and push them onto tourists too?
Do you think he was lured away ?
Still can't figure out why he was in a window, though.
My first guess was that he'd become inebriated and wanted to get in the hotel quietly without waking his wife ?
I really doubt he was kidnapped and murdered, sorry to his family.
It's very sad for his loved ones, whatever happened. :(

I’m not sure I buy the kidnapping theory. I’ve been to all inclusives in the Cancun/Quintana Roo area - the last one I stayed at had armed guards at two separate stations on the road before you got to the actual hotel - it was extremely safe. Not that a kidnapping couldn’t happen within the guests staying at the hotel I guess but that seems very far fetched IMO.

Thank You for put some more truth to this situation - The resorts have a lot of measures in place to protect the guests - It is surprising to me how many people just buy into the kidnapping theory with NO PROOF or application of common sense.

Trying to catch-up, don't think I missed anyone that brought this up: Mr. Stew and I vacationed in Cancun area in late April this year, and due to the COVID rules, all nightclubs and bars must be closed by 11:00pm, even in resorts/all inclusives. When we were there Quintana Roo was under the Yellow tier of restrictions. In early May it was moved up to Orange tier restrictions (even more restrictions)

So, that leaves me wondering where Mr. Snow was between 11:00pm and when he was found in the morning.

(Snipped a tiny bit to avoid quoting entire post per WS rules.)

Yes, as an R.N. working in Specialty areas for over 35 years, I can pretty much tell you what happened as he died.

It's identical in mechanism to the young guys who decide to enter a house through the unused chimney, get stuck and die.
I'm sure you've read of this happening.
Also, it's similar to what a boa constrictor does to its prey.

The window was large enough for him to likely enter head first, shoulders down. When he got about halfway in, he became stuck. Stuck enough that he could not scream, call for help, or breathe well. He could have remained in this extreme distress for some time, or have died from asphyxia quickly due to his respiratory muscles not being able to work or his lungs being able to inflate and deflate. He also may have struggled and vomited, which could have killed him if he was already drunk and stuck in a position where he couldn't get enough O2/ air in and out.
I'd think bruises were incidental to the climb to the window, the entrance through a window head first, and generally struggling with his own body weight. He could have broken fingernails and torn clothing from his own solitary struggling.

<modsnip>
People do these types of things in mystery novels frequently in the books I've been reading. It's a trending way to " get in without a key" to be in the midst of fictitious non- drunk mischief. Usually, the buildings are older in my reading and the bathroom window is the only unlocked one on the property. The woman always manages to get in or out the window safely in novels.

I'm so sorry this happened, and feel for him and his family. I had thought he fell between two walls, like property boundary walls, from the one local report I saw about his death. I also had thought he was beaten and robbed, and made a mental note to turn down any of hubby's plans to go to a resort in Mexico for a long weekend.

But where where his legs and feet during this time? Are you saying this window would have to be waist high or so? How would he lift his self up so high that he got stuck? Either he just stood up and opened the window and tried to climb in, or he had to jump up to the window and hoist his entire body weight in just enough to get stuck, but why wouldn't he be able to back out? Or was there an object outside the window that he used to climb on to get in the window? Just curious how this plays out. TIA..

It seems really unlikely that a kidnapping would occur right where those two resorts are. And is it even a kidnapping if he was killed in the same spot where he was abducted? I'm not being insensitive or making light of a possible crime, just trying to make sense of this.

Is there any evidence that he was robbed? Was his wallet found on his person?

I wonder if he went back to the bar by himself, was intoxicated, tried to go back to the wrong hotel, maybe had even lost or forgotten his key, was hammered and not making rational decisions, tried to enter a room through a window and got stuck.

But where where his legs and feet during this time? Are you saying this window would have to be waist high or so? How would he lift his self up so high that he got stuck? Either he just stood up and opened the window and tried to climb in, or he had to jump up to the window and hoist his entire body weight in just enough to get stuck, but why wouldn't he be able to back out? Or was there an object outside the window that he used to climb on to get in the window? Just curious how this plays out. TIA..

A person almost has to have experience going in through a window or exiting through a window if it makes no sense when reading. I used to be the family member who went into my childhood home through an unlocked window ( the screens were locked back then) with a bit of my daddy's help if we were locked out, so I know how easy this is to do right, and how easy it would be to go very badly.

A person's correct natural tendency is to go in head first because we need to see where we're going, we use our hands and arms to help steady us, and our heads weigh a lot more than our feet, thus there is a natural gravity factor helping them slide in. Also, we are more protective of our head than our feet, so you plant your upper body where you want it to be first, not hanging out. A familiar correlation is that the ideal position for a baby to be born is head first because the head weighs more and helps propel the body towards the waiting world.

You can duplicate what it's like to go into a room through a window. If you are a healthy person, just go to a ground floor window in your house and open it. Go to a door and walk outside to stand beside the window that's opened. Stick your head and shoulders inside the window to enter your living room or bedroom ( it doesn't matter WHICH room) , then slide your body right on in behind you. You will be going in head first, so will be supporting your weight on your arms until your legs are inside the room too. I'm almost 1oo% sure this is how the victim got STUCK halfway in, halfway out of the window.

He got stuck because his torso girth was larger than he estimated for the window size. The cause of death tells us this exactly. "Mechanical asphyxiation" means no person caused the person to stop breathing, but an object did.
When it's a person choking another, it's termed "manual asphyxiation."

Plainly speaking, he got enough of his body into the window opening ( chest and possibly upper abdomen) to compress his lungs and respiratory muscles so they were SQUEEZED by the window itself, an unmovable object, and he died from lack of respiratory effort.
Smothered.

I don't know if he stood on anything. It doesn't matter, but if he wanted in a window he couldn't reach, then probably. I'd expect a high level of physical fitness due to his career, also.
Negating some of the fitness aspect he had going for him was the wife's narrative that he'd been drinking.
I also think, due to the cause of death, that part of his lower body would have to be outside the window. If his chest and abdomen had FIT, he'd have gone into the bathroom through the opened window.

In order to die of self mechanical asphyxiation, his respiratory effort had to have been cut off completely at some point, and death ensued.
It was a window, the man got stuck and could neither go backwards or forwards, could not take a breath in due to the squeezing action, and accidentally perished.
It is a horrible way to die, but there aren't really any good ways, are there?

I hope this helps. I know it's bizarre to imagine a human shimmying into a window, unless you were your family's " locksmith" as a child. I understand it because I did it so well. I was in gymnastics by age 4. Nurses see or read professional journal articles describing almost everything possible and almost impossible at some point, and it is always very sad. I definitely feel so sorry that this happened to a couple on their 10th anniversary vacation. That he was not found before he asphyxiated.

Last edited:
It seems really unlikely that a kidnapping would occur right where those two resorts are. And is it even a kidnapping if he was killed in the same spot where he was abducted? I'm not being insensitive or making light of a possible crime, just trying to make sense of this.

Is there any evidence that he was robbed? Was his wallet found on his person?

I wonder if he went back to the bar by himself, was intoxicated, tried to go back to the wrong hotel, maybe had even lost or forgotten his key, was hammered and not making rational decisions, tried to enter a room through a window and got stuck.

I could see that window scenario happening — the only odd thing about the window is that his hotel was a mid-rise building complex and the chances of him having a ground level room are slim - although maybe the resort also had cabanas/cottages & he was staying in one of those? The window detail is just so strange.

Last edited:
Here's an article with some photos and details. It states that ES was staying at the Royalton Chic and was found at the neighboring Sunset resort. Texas firefighter Elijah Snow is found dead of mechanical asphyxiation in Cancun | Daily Mail Online
This is so strange. These are high rises, so what’s the odds they were staying in a ground level room in which he could even begin to climb through a window. I mean, are any of the rooms truly ground level? I don’t understand this at all. What a nightmare.

From the Daily Mail Online article referenced above: “The office said Snow was trapped in a window when trying to enter a bathroom window and could not place his feet on the ground, giving him no support point to release himself from the window.“

it also states that his wife, “went up to their room”

Very bizarre indeed.

I don’t think a kidnapping is what took place. The video cameras and bar tender(s) can hopefully offer some missing info.

This is so strange. These are high rises, so what’s the odds they were staying in a ground level room in which he could even begin to climb through a window. I mean, are any of the rooms truly ground level? I don’t understand this at all. What a nightmare.
Looking at the photos, neither of the resorts appear to have any bathroom windows, only full length sliding doors with side windows going out onto the balcony. I'd really like to know where the window is that he was trying to climb through. I don't see anyone being so inebriated from alcohol alone that they'd just try to go into some random window. In all honesty, it's not beyond comprehension that the resort as well as local law enforcement would try to cover up a foul play incident. Tourism is everything there. JMO

A Texas firefighter was found dead at a hotel in Cancún. His family believes he was kidnapped and murdered.

“But the family was skeptical. They hired a local attorney, who obtained photos showing Elijah Snow with bruises over most of his body except his head and face, Elledge told CBS DFW.”

IMO, bruises all over his body except for head & face would be from being stuck in the window and not from being supposedly kidnapped? Unless the family is saying that he was in the window as a result of being kidnapped? It just seems like his face would be roughed-up if he had been kidnapped. So confusing.

There is a reason why he stayed behind at the bar or why he turned back to return to the bar (articles still providing alternate happenings) on the first night of their wedding anniversary vacay. Who does this?! First night away from kids and alone with spouse at a resort. Maybe it was a completely innocent choice by Mr. Snow but it seems out of place IMO.
I wonder how long it will be before we hear of any videos from that night/morning or other tourists that were there.

ETA: I truly feel for this family. This is a nightmare and I hope they do receive closure in this case.

You mean innocent American tourists coming from the country with the highest illegal drug use in the world?
U.S. Has High Levels of Illegal Drug Use

IMO and personal observation, the vast majority of Mexicans do not buy drugs, they're too poor. They are paid a pittance to work at these resorts, which is why they're so cheap to stay in. You can't afford an all-inclusive resort in Florida or Hawaii, because nobody there is willing to work for a few hundred dollars per month.

I've also seen the hundreds of construction workers who build these resorts, they're imported from the poorest regions of the country, and spends months living in hovels away from their families, saving up the small pay to send it back home. Maybe they treat themselves to a beer from the convenience store on Saturday night, before their one day off after 10 hour days, they drink it on the steps of the store of a dusty back street with their buddies. They don't even own bathing suits or know how to swim. They don't waste their money on drugs like the college students who fly down for spring break.

Sorry, but this is the reality behind the luxury resort business, IMO it ain't pretty.

I believe the first floor could have contained staff offices, possibly conference rooms. Maybe he THOUGHT one was a bathroom window? Or maybe he and an unknown person who was familiar with the layout knew where a ground floor bathroom was- and he, being in LE, knew how to jimmy the window? IDK. I'm not implying illegal activity.

I don't want to go too far off topic, but when we had our pool built, labor from Arlington, TX, was used. Most did not speak English and we believed them to be day laborers picked up on the street corners in groups by the subcontractor. We see this in DFW metro every day.
I fed and kept those hard-working men hydrated for over 4 months ( it is a very large and complex pool design).

They didn't bring food, one told me there is no money to feed the family if the worker eats. One man who knew some English said they didn't get breaks.. In any event, all were extremely happy to be fed during their hard work. I'd buy them high protein Boost bottles of chocolate shakes in addition to bottled water because they were so thin but were doing such hard manual labor. They needed lots more protein! I'd send all of them home with a box of shakes 3-4 times a week. I hope it helped them feel stronger and better. Several had tears in their eyes when I'd come out with platters of food or boxes of take-out, and I believe they gave the job their best effort
Every day, I prayed for the men there to work, and I'd make them leave after 8 hours. If I hadn't, they'd have kept working until dusk fell, which is against our Security Mgmt. rules for contract workers. They worked very hard, and we have a great pool. We had NO clue the workers would not be direct employees of the pool company, having just moved in and signed the pool construction contracts.

Pass it along if you ever have contracted work done at your home, OK? Lots of people in dire need who don't say a word.

Last edited:
From the Daily Mail Online article referenced above: “The office said Snow was trapped in a window when trying to enter a bathroom window and could not place his feet on the ground, giving him no support point to release himself from the window.“

it also states that his wife, “went up to their room”

Very bizarre indeed.

I don’t think a kidnapping is what took place. The video cameras and bar tender(s) can hopefully offer some missing info.
I dont think I can ever remember a hotel room with a window in the bathroom? Not very private.

I dont think I can ever remember a hotel room with a window in the bathroom? Not very private.

I once stayed at a large all-inclusive hotel like the one they were at but it also had (very expensive!) individual cottages on the beach - I could see a bathroom window in a scenario like that but yeah, not in a standard hotel room.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NellyKim
Back